Big Papi defening Bonds..says steroids don't help

AFJF

Ortiz not convinced Bonds a product of steroidsESPN,.com news services

Count David Ortiz among those who isn't convinced Barry Bonds used illegal performance-enhancing drugs -- or if they really helped the San Francisco Giants outfielder make his run at Hank Aaron's home run record.

Ortiz

"To hit the ball, the guy makes it look easy, but it ain't. I don't know how you can have that swing, consistently. I don't know how steroids can do that," Ortiz told the Boston Herald. "There are supposed to be guys using steroids in the game, and there's nobody close to Barry Bonds. What's that mean? He was using the best [stuff]? Know what I'm saying?"

The Boston Red Sox designated hitter told the Herald that no one has proven that Bonds knowingly used steroids or other performance-enhancing substances -- and that even if it were proven, he's not sure it has made a difference.

"I don't look at it like that. I look at it hitting-wise, because I don't know what steroids can do to you as a baseball player. You've still got to swing the bat, man," Ortiz said. "If I ever use steroids, and then I know what the difference can be and I'm using them, I'll tell you, 'Yeah, whatever,' but I don't know what the feelings are when you use the steroids. But I can tell you how it feels to pull yourself together to swing the bat."

In fact, Ortiz isn't 100 percent certain he hasn't taken steroids himself. He told the Herald that when he was a young player in the Dominican Republic, he used to drink protein shakes for sale there. He explained he no longer does so because he can't be sure they don't include banned substances.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that [stuff] up, and I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it," Ortiz told the Herald. "You've got to be careful. ... I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that any more because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off of buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican. But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

Bonds and the Giants are scheduled to visit Fenway Park for a June 15-17 interleague series, and Ortiz told the newspaper that Bonds deserves a warmer welcome than he will probably get from Red Sox Nation.

"He deserves respect," Ortiz told the Herald. "People are not going to give it to him because of all the bad things running around, this and that, but people need to realize. I've heard a lot of different things about Barry Bonds, but people should just admit it -- this guy's a bad [expletive]."

And Ortiz thinks commissioner Bud Selig should commit to being on hand when Bonds breaks Aaron's major league record of 755 home runs.

"He's just making things worse," Ortiz told the Herald. "He's the commissioner, there's nothing you can do about it. You can't be saying that. What are people going to think about the game? They'll be like, 'This game is a joke.' He should come, even if he doesn't want to."

Wow.

And you would know if they worked or not how "Big Papi"?:eek:

Defending another guy who was smaller and then got huge and started to pick up big numbers. What a shocker.

Barry Bonds was a HOF type of player before steroids.

Steroids made him a legendary type player.

The step up for Barry and steroids is a differnt platform than most players.

Could you imagine Willie Mays on steroids, in todays game?

My goodness.

Exactly, he went from crushing doubles to the gap to crushing home runs into Mcovey cove. Steroids didn't make him a baseball player, he was/is one of the most talented players since Ted Williams, but roids put him on another planet.

I hope he is banned from the HOF along with McGuire, and lets not forget the biggest fraud in all of baseball, sammy sosa.

Sosa = corked bat, emense roid use (look at his head, and the fact he lead the league in strikeouts on the white sox, then he gets shipped to the cubs hits the juice and is now a national figure?). that dude is a total joke. Everytime they ask him about his 'roid use' he suddenly forget how to speak english. i hate that pile of ch!t, he should never be allowed to touch a uniform, let alone get paid to wear one.

:sign0103-1: I'd like to see a blood test on that bum too. not that they will, i'm not 100% on clemens like with sosa or bonds, but its pretty likely.

Don't call me a liar, a$$hole. I may be proven wrong, but I believe Clemens is clean. He didn't suddenly get big. He's always been that way. He didn't suddenly get better, either, like Ortiz and Bonds. It's remarkable that he has held on so well, but Nolan Ryan did it, too. Are you accusing him?

Don't call me a liar, a$$hole. I may be proven wrong, but I believe Clemens is clean. He didn't suddenly get big. He's always been that way. He didn't suddenly get better, either, like Ortiz and Bonds. It's remarkable that he has held on so well, but Nolan Ryan did it, too. Are you accusing him?

No i'm not accusing Ryan, not really accusing clemens either, i just wouldn't be suprised is all i was saying. I coudln't care any less about clemens, he's a sell out bum...so whatever you believe is just peachy.

:character0183:

He didn't suddenly get better, either, like Ortiz and Bonds. It's remarkable that he has held on so well, but Nolan Ryan did it, too. Are you accusing him?

Dont forget Jamie Moyer. 45 years old and doing a great job for the Phillies.

Yankee fans really shouldn't be throwing grenades in a war of "guess who is juicing".

Really, there are no teams that are clean in this battle.

Steroids are present in a lot of players in ALL pro sports... if you think otherwise... you are blind...

I kind of thought that was the point of my post.

What did you read into it?

Sorry I meant to agree with you and try to add to the point...lol... looking back... yeah I didnt spit that out right...

I agree with you though, just expanding it to all sports.

My goodness.

willie mays would be pretty damn slow and wouldn't catch up to pitches

i don't think thats a good idea.

What do the following have in common?

Mark Mcguire

Sammy Sosa

Jason Giambi

Gary Sheffield

Roger Clemens

Barry Bonds.

They all have awfully big, funny looking heads.

i dont know if you can put Roger in that catagory, his head looks fine

My goodness.

Tony Gwynn on Roids?

Ya know its really kinda sad and funny when you think about it. Hank Aaron bore the brunt of ugly, vile racist sentiments when he broke Babe Ruth's record. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I have been watching the news all week...speculating where Barry will hit #755. An overwhelming majority of black people tend to support him while many (a huge percentage) of his detractors are white. Many root against Barry allegedly because of his alleged use of steroids. Several posters have even called for a career-ending injury. They do so under the guise of "he cheated!!!" but then they blindly defend white players, or give them a get-out-of-jail free card for some inexplicable reason!?!?!?!?

It slowly comes out with each hateful reference to gorillas and such. Its a shame that the powers-that-be dont police that ugliness the way they lock threads wondering if A-rod has dabbled in roid useage???!!!???

Ortiz is learning the fine art of "huh" from Manny apparently.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ortizsteroids&prov=st&type=lgns

Report: Ortiz not sure if he took steroids

May 8, 2007

BOSTON (TICKER) -- It appears Boston Red Sox slugger David Ortiz is not sure if he has taken steroids.

Ortiz told the Boston Herald that he could not say definitively if he had ever used performance-enhancing drugs in the past. The burly designated hitter also said that if he did, it happened when he was much younger.

"I tell you, I don't know too much about steroids, but I started listening about steroids when they started to bring that (expletive) up," Ortiz told the paper. "I started realizing and getting to know a little bit about it. You've got to be careful.

"I used to buy a protein shake in my country. I don't do that anymore because they don't have the approval for that here, so I know that, so I'm off buying things at the GNC back in the Dominican (Republic). But it can happen anytime, it can happen. I don't know. I don't know if I drank something in my youth, not knowing it."

However, Ortiz, who hit a club-record 54 home runs last season, made light of the situation, joking that he should try steroids just to see what all the fuss is about.

"I should use steroids just to see what's going on," Ortiz joked to the Herald. "Nah. I have a good family. I want to see my kids learn and develop. I think I'm having an OK career. So, I take a lot of Advils, but I think I'm going to stop taking them. They say it (expletive) your liver."

Ortiz spent six non-descript seasons in Minnesota before signing with the Red Sox before the 2003 season. He has quickly become a Boston icon and one of the most popular players in baseball.

In 2004, Ortiz anchored a Red Sox squad which won the franchise's first World Series in 86 years - highlighted by a shocking comeback against the rival New York Yankees in the American League Championship Series.

The Red Sox became the first team in baseball history to come back from a three-games-to-none deficit to win a

Ya know its really kinda sad and funny when you think about it. Hank Aaron bore the brunt of ugly, vile racist sentiments when he broke Babe Ruth's record. The more things change, the more they stay the same...

I have been watching the news all week...speculating where Barry will hit #755. An overwhelming majority of black people tend to support him while many (a huge percentage) of his detractors are white. Many root against Barry allegedly because of his alleged use of steroids. Several posters have even called for a career-ending injury. They do so under the guise of "he cheated!!!" but then they blindly defend white players, or give them a get-out-of-jail free card for some inexplicable reason!?!?!?!?

It slowly comes out with each hateful reference to gorillas and such. Its a shame that the powers-that-be dont police that ugliness the way they lock threads wondering if A-rod has dabbled in roid useage???!!!???

Slowly comes out? Or sometimes almost comes out. Much like the way you were offended when Barton referred to Papi as a gorilla and you said if it continued we would be subjected to a barrage of racial slurs about Matsui and other minorities on the Yankees. I'm sure that's a little detail you will deny and/or hoped nobody would remember. I do.

you're right...it is sad.

Says the hypocrite who, for years, called Mariano Rivera "Monkey Boy."

Bullsh*t! Dont you think I would have been banned for that if that were the case on JI or here? Do you even think about what you type before you type it?

Did you forget who you are talking to? Im held to a different standard than other people who post on here.

Whaddya know, I see that that's an admission from Bob (finally) that the gorilla/monkey references are in fact racist slurs defaming people of color. For the longest time, you people denied it. Max even came out and said "dont do it anymore" but curiously, its still happening. Nevertheless many of you are happy to post it.

Talk about a hypocrite!

Bullsh*t! Dont you think I would have been banned for that if that were the case on JI or here? Do you even think about what you type before you type it?

Did you forget who you are talking to? Im held to a different standard than other people who post on here.

Whaddya know, I see that that's an admission from Bob (finally) that the gorilla/monkey references are in fact racist slurs defaming people of color. For the longest time, you people denied it. Max even came out and said "dont do it anymore" but curiously, its still happening. Nevertheless many of you are happy to post it.

Talk about a hypocrite!

As usual, you're lying.

That's a load of crap. I can't stand guys like Jeromy Shockey in the same light of Barry "roid-me" bonds, deep down they are both thugs. They are just bastards, black or white, if a guy refuses to sign autograph for kids he's a bastard in my book.

I love how the whole race thing keeps coming up by people trying to call out bigitry. I suppose Pete Rose was kept out of the hall cause he was from european decent...hmm

Talk about a hypocrite!

Look at your signature picture... then look at your guy...

BDD_Big-Papi-Shrek_MW.jpg

I can't believe you wasted that much time just to bash Jason Giambi. Last time I check...Hank Aaron was a black guy. NOBODY gives a **** that bonds is black and is going to break the record....they give a **** he is a steroid user and is going to break the record.

I remember Jason Giambi admitting he juiced up....People...not just Yankee fans tend to forgive a guy who admits they were wrong. You don't need to look any further than Pete Rose to see the opposite side to that coin.

Do you honestly think that if Jason Giambi was the one in Barry's shoes people would be more likely to accept him as the HR king because he is white? He would be crucified the same was Barry is because they people don't like CHEATERS breaking legit records. That is the one issue here worth talking about.

I'm telling you people just put him on your ignore list!

I just did (for the 2nd time). He went away for a while so I took him off my ignore list and then he came back like herpes after the respective starts of the Sox and Yankees.

Archived