Jets and Giants close on Stadium financing! Done Deal!

Kentucky Jet

Giants, Jets close $1.3 billion stadium financing deal

Associated Press, Updated 13 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) - The New York Giants and Jets closed deals Thursday for $1.3 billion in financing for a new stadium the NFL clubs are teaming to build.

"This represents another step forward in the completion of this exciting project," said Alice McGillion, a spokeswoman for New Meadowlands Stadium Corp.

Each team completed separate $650 million financing deals. CitiCorp is financing the Jets' portion, while investment banks Goldman Sachs and Lehman Brothers are financing the Giants' deal.

The teams got financing help earlier this year when NFL owners approved $300 million in loans to help finance the stadium work. The open-air facility at the Meadowlands Sports Complex is expected to open in 2010 and seat 82,500.

"We now look forward to finalizing all of the design plans so that we can deliver the best stadium experience possible to our fans and the state of New Jersey," McGillion said.

The teams expect a formal groundbreaking ceremony in September. Excavation work is already being done at the site, near the existing Giants Stadium.

The Giants also are building a 20-acre practice site near the new stadium, while the Jets are building practice facilities and corporate headquarters on 20 acres in Florham Park.

advertisement

2010 season can not get here soon enough to have a brand new stadium. Shows the clout of NFL to pull this off with the debt markets shaky right now.

Careful what you wish for i`m sure today their printing up the PSL bills and they`ll be mailed out early next week to all of us.....

Careful what you wish for i`m sure today their printing up the PSL bills and they`ll be mailed out early next week to all of us.....

If I kept a running total of all that I have paid for my sports tickets/trips I could have retired already!

Forget all these "catch phrase" names for the stadium...we're talking major bucks here. Some corporation with mega bucks is going to pay a hefty amount to have their name on there...maybe, The Paris Hilton Rehab Center.;)

Too many corporations involved to have one name represented, hence the "catch phrase" name.

So the Jets still wont have their own stadium? And it will be in Jersey?....I dont like either idea.

Can we please get over this "OWN STADIUM" crap. This is their stadium. Their own home that finacially will insure this franchise from ever loosing money.

This "BOO HOO, they should be in Queens, Manhattan or even Nassau County" issue has been dead for over 2-years. THAT RIGHT - 2 FREAKIN YEARS!

No one looses over this move - They are staying where they have been for over 20-years! They will be more acessible to get to via mass transit (DIRECT TRAIN FROM PENN STATION) & the exterior & interior of the building, at the click of a switch, will change it from Giants to Jets & vice versa.

In reality, the only fans pissed over our staying is the GIANTS fans who will lose the name of their team & the building they called home.

We get an upgrade & everyone's still complaining?

PSL's were enevitable even if we moved to Manhattan - and they would have been twice what we are about to be hit with!

I can not understand the difference when the Season-Ticket base is in NJ & though the Fan-Base was originally Queens/LI, it has evened out with Northern & central NJ getting on the Gang-Green wagon.

I can prove that because there are sports bars in remote areas as well as populated areas that have in the last 10-years become JETS exclusive bars!

Just let this go & worry about the PSL that we're all going to get in the mail this December - I say that Joisey because Every team that has offered a PSL has done it after the season is almost over & playoff tickets become available...

...and that's this Baumerjet's story!

Can we please get over this "OWN STADIUM" crap. This is their stadium. Their own home that finacially will insure this franchise from ever loosing money.

This "BOO HOO, they should be in Queens, Manhattan or even Nassau County" issue has been dead for over 2-years. THAT RIGHT - 2 FREAKIN YEARS!

No one looses over this move - They are staying where they have been for over 20-years! They will be more acessible to get to via mass transit (DIRECT TRAIN FROM PENN STATION) & the exterior & interior of the building, at the click of a switch, will change it from Giants to Jets & vice versa.

In reality, the only fans pissed over our staying is the GIANTS fans who will lose the name of their team & the building they called home.

PSL's were enevitable even if we moved to Manhattan - and they would have been twice what we are about to be hit with!

Nobodys ever hit their fans with the PSL we`ll be getting hit with & were supposed to be splitting the cost with another team .And once again you people say how it will be more accessable from ny penn station THE STADIUM IS STILL IN F-ING NJ HOW ABOUT MAKING IT ACCESSABLE FROM NJ AND NOT HAVING TO GO TO NY TO GET THERE YOU IDIOTS!!!!

I would have loved to have had our own stadium back in NY...where it belongs. But, after that WS fiasco went down in flames, I knew it wasn't going to happen...guess it was Manhattan or bust for Woody and the rest of the gang.

So, I came to grips with staying in Jersey. Yes, we are sharing it with the Giants, but if you want to keep on saying to yourself it's really still going to be "Giants" stadium, I feel sorry for you. This is MY (Jets) stadium as much as it belongs to some Giants fan. I dare some Giants fan to tell me otherwise! This current stadium we now share always has been "their" stadium...not this new one!

Doesn't matter what they name it, people will still be calling it "Giants Stadium." The Jets signed off on second-class status for life with this deal.

True.

I think I'd rather have seen the Jets stay at the meadowlands and rename it Jets stadium, renovate it alittle, and let the Giants pay full price for their new stadium. JMO.

Nobodys ever hit their fans with the PSL we`ll be getting hit with & were supposed to be splitting the cost with another team .And once again you people say how it will be more accessable from ny penn station THE STADIUM IS STILL IN F-ING NJ HOW ABOUT MAKING IT ACCESSABLE FROM NJ AND NOT HAVING TO GO TO NY TO GET THERE YOU IDIOTS!!!!

The stadium will be ACCESSIBLE Via NJ Transit's Secaucus Transfer station.

That means that all trains that travel to NY's Penn Station from NJ will transfer to the line in NEW JERSEY to the stadium!

You will NEVER have to travel to NYC to get to the stadium!

As for the PSL - You can not make that statement without understanding that the PSL for a Manhattan location would have cost MORE than twice what our total License will cost in this joint venture.

I can not understand the difference when the Season-Ticket base is in NJ & though the Fan-Base was originally Queens/LI, it has evened out with Northern & central NJ getting on the Gang-Green wagon.

I can prove that because there are sports bars in remote areas as well as populated areas that have in the last 10-years become JETS exclusive bars!

Just let this go & worry about the PSL that we're all going to get in the mail this December - I say that Joisey because Every team that has offered a PSL has done it after the season is almost over & playoff tickets become available...

...and that's this Baumerjet's story!

No

Archived