Jacob Bender: Our New Left Guard?

dwalsh

This is the problem I have over the Kendall situation, but even before the Kendall situation my problem with the first two drafts. Now the first draft I could understand because we got 2 positions filled and had other needs (but then again, we also blew a pick on Schlegel, and based on depth chart probably Clemens too), but this past draft we continue to ignore the offensive lines glaring holes. Mangini has been playing way too much Madden if he thinks the solution to the anemic run game and spotty pass protection is an above average RB. You fix those things by improving your O-line. LW is an explosive player and TJ is a very good workhorse, but if there are no holes (and there aren't) then neither is going to be reliable.

WOW that's pretty exciting news DW...it's not like Clarke wasn't almost HANDED the starting LG spot-he has shown WHY the Eagles cut him...I like that a draft pick is maybe stepping up again-solidify that left side with homegrown talent

It is only a rumor and clarke was injured and was waived by Philly. True he was not as good as he was in game 1 but he faced very formidible opponents in the WILLIAMS boys!@ They make many OGs cringe. Clarke pancaked Kevin twice. For all his bad play, Clarke whiffed on two plays. On a run and Leon was stuffed and the other a pass play. in general the entire OL played poorly. Clarke did his share but he is hardly the culprit of that loss yet he seems to be the scapegoat. Did anyone see BRICK make a play? AC was beaten many times and Moore did nothing in the run game. he was OK in the pass game but hardly all-pro! But yet, Clarke is the culprit! Go figure! GO JETS! I did see Bender in with the second team and he had his hands full.

It is only a rumor and clarke was injured and was waived by Philly. True he was not as good as he was in game 1 but he faced very formidible opponents in the WILLIAMS boys!@ They make many OGs cringe. Clarke pancaked Kevin twice. For all his bad play, Clarke whiffed on two plays. On a run and Leon was stuffed and the other a pass play. in general the entire OL played poorly. Clarke did his share but he is hardly the culprit of that loss yet he seems to be the scapegoat. Did anyone see BRICK make a play? AC was beaten many times and Moore did nothing in the run game. he was OK in the pass game but hardly all-pro! But yet, Clarke is the culprit! Go figure! GO JETS! I did see Bender in with the second team and he had his hands full.

I had to work KJ so I just got to glance at the game from 25 feet away on the bar TV-I didn't even want to watch the recorded one my wife made on the laptop-so I couldn't say who was good and who sucked

I just wonder if all the shuffling of the OL is compromising the chemistry that the players have with each other.

To listen to Tony Wise talk about his offensive line you'd think they were indomitable, especially Moore and Clement you'd think they were joined at the hip.

Clarke absolutely sucked Friday night...any average lineman can look good against a crappy D line. In order for us to go to the next level (beyond the first round in the playoffs), we need someone to take on these better defensive teams. Whether it's Bender, Fender, or someone else, they have to be better than Clarke. He was average the first game and sucked the last time around.

I just wonder if all the shuffling of the OL is compromising the chemistry that the players have with each other.

To listen to Tony Wise talk about his offensive line you'd think they were indomitable, especially Moore and Clement you'd think they were joined at the hip.

You might be onto something here. If there's a spot that chemistry is critical it's the OL. Takes time to jell as a unit.

I do not know how accurate that is but Jetcane did say that Bender and Kendall had snaps with the first team; Clarke with the second. Yet Cannizzaro says something different. Blalock would have looked nice or Ben grubbs but that is hindsight. Kendall is NOT the answer; maybe Bender is. None of us will anythinh until the real games start. even then the coaches see tons more then we think we see. I TIVOed the game. Clarke was NOT as good as game 1 but I though he was OK. I saw him whiff on a run play by Leon and a pass play that CHAD threw an INT on. He was somewhat better as time went on but not great! Will the benching last? Who knows? We are is dire need of big-time OGs, on both sides of the OL unless Bender comes through for us.

I do not know how accurate that is but Jetcane did say that Bender and Kendall had snaps with the first team; Clarke with the second. Yet Cannizzaro says something different. Blalock would have looked nice or Ben grubbs but that is hindsight. Kendall is NOT the answer; maybe Bender is. None of us will anythinh until the real games start. even then the coaches see tons more then we think we see. I TIVOed the game. Clarke was NOT as good as game 1 but I though he was OK. I saw him whiff on a run play by Leon and a pass play that CHAD threw an INT on. He was somewhat better as time went on but not great! Will the benching last? Who knows? We are is dire need of big-time OGs, on both sides of the OL unless Bender comes through for us.

What did Cannizzaro say that is different?

I didnt see his column in the news thread.

in all likely hood Clarke wasn't demoted for his play so much as his arguments with the CS on the sideline

it's ok to make mistakes, it's not ok to disrespect the coaching staff

Clarke got beat badly on the Leon running play. At that point, it's not a matter of skill, it's not hustle, it's all about him being a slow twit that can't get out of a 3 point stance.

Clarke is not the answer. I hope Bender is, but that is unlikely as well.

Mangini treated the 07 draft as though we were set in multiple areas and only needed help in very few. He sold our future for a CB and a LB, now we have gaping holes on the O & D Line, just as we did last year.

Thanks Tangini, good work.

I think this is overly harsh - and no one wanted another guard as much as I did - the fact remains a guy like Revis was ranked top 10 on most boards around the league, given the choice between a 1 CB and a 1 OG the choice is to get a possible shutdown CB every time. In a league where Nate Clements made 23 million in bonus, and where the Pats signed Randy Moss, dante stallworth, wes welker and kelly washington i can't fault the Jets for going after a top CB.

Clarke got beat badly on the Leon running play. At that point, it's not a matter of skill, it's not hustle, it's all about him being a slow twit that can't get out of a 3 point stance.

Mangini treated the 07 draft as though we were set in multiple areas and only needed help in very few. He sold our future for a CB and a LB, now we have gaping holes on the O & D Line, just as we did last year.

It's too bad about Clarke, because he looks the part. He has the size and some NFL experience, but he is, as you say, slow. I think Bender has a better chance at making an impact at guard than at tackle this season.

The team made the playoffs with those gaping holes. I agree that they should have tried harder to fill them, but RCB was a pretty glaring hole for most of the season. It may be better to fill one or two holes and live with the rest than try to spackle everything and hope for the best. They tried to get some DLinemen. I'm sure there'll be some incremental improvement there.

I was glad when I thought they'd kept the Oline together. LG was NOT a gaping hole last year. In fact I'd say it wasn't a hole at all. If there were one spot I'd have looked to improve it would have been RT. All those guys that wanted to cut Kendall still think the coaches know something we don't?

I think this is overly harsh - and no one wanted another guard as much as I did - the fact remains a guy like Revis was ranked top 10 on most boards around the league, given the choice between a 1 CB and a 1 OG the choice is to get a possible shutdown CB every time. In a league where Nate Clements made 23 million in bonus, and where the Pats signed Randy Moss, dante stallworth, wes welker and kelly washington i can't fault the Jets for going after a top CB.

That's really what sold it on me. I mean we were hoping NE wouldn't franchise Assante Samuel. Well when Nate Clements gets $23M, Samuel - coming off a 10-TD season - would have garnered more in SB alone than we're going to pay Revis for the next 5 seasons combined. Revis has the talent to be better than either of them and (even with that stupid contract) is relatively cheap by comparison.

It probably is overly harsh, but watching the O-line struggle again, is just painful. It was no secret why we had good success in 04. Our line was widely considered top 5 in the NFL.

We need to get back to what worked; clarke, clement, and Moore might not be the answer. Its at this point in the year that i look at the team and see these holes, and view them as unfixable, until the draft.

The team made the playoffs with those gaping holes. I agree that they should have tried harder to fill them, but RCB was a pretty glaring hole for most of the season. It may be better to fill one or two holes and live with the rest than try to spackle everything and hope for the best. They tried to get some DLinemen. I'm sure there'll be some incremental improvement there.

I was glad when I thought they'd kept the Oline together. LG was NOT a gaping hole last year. In fact I'd say it wasn't a hole at all. If there were one spot I'd have looked to improve it would have been RT. All those guys that wanted to cut Kendall still think the coaches know something we don't?

You're right, they did make the playoffs, and i'm not going to say that we shouldn't have. I am saying that a playoff team with multiple draft picks in round 2 should have been able to address more of its obvious lack in depth. As Bit, and Cane said, its important to get a tope tier RCB, since that too was a hole, and i do agree that RCB is a lot harder to fill than a guard.

Let's not pretend that Revis was the only corner in the draft. All the corners slid, i would have prefered taking a lesser corner AND grabbing a guard/tackle to help out the O-line. JMO

Let's not pretend that Revis was the only corner in the draft. All the corners slid, i would have prefered taking a lesser corner AND grabbing a guard/tackle to help out the O-line. JMO

It's a valid opinion, but I can respect the FO putting all their eggs in this basket. Mangini needs a smart, adaptable guy in the secondary. There are other corners sure, but if they believe that this guy is a can't miss I can accept that. If they tried to get a G and a 2nd tier CB they might have ended up with two guys who can only contribute marginally. Of course Revis HAS to be very good or they look like idiots.

How did you like him coming out of school? Or had you really not seen the kid play?

i never saw him play, however i heard many great things about his workouts prior to the draft - his agent joe linta is the type of guy who doesn't need the money, he is a yale grad already rich from wall street. his speciality is the challenge of finding OL under the radar - Birk, Andruzzi, Alleman, Hochstein, Colon, Herremans etc. If Linta took the time to sign this guy, and he plays OL more often than not he has talent.

I do believe for a guy like Bender, it would be alot easier to make his mark at LG than RT, at least coming out. From what i've seen on him on 2nd team OL, this promotion is not unwarrented. He seems solid.

Also FWIW LInta represents preseason fan favorite Ray Ventrone.

i never saw him play, however i heard many great things about his workouts prior to the draft - his agent joe linta is the type of guy who doesn't need the money, he is a yale grad already rich from wall street. his speciality is the challenge of finding OL under the radar - Birk, Andruzzi, Alleman, Hochstein, Colon, Herremans etc. If Linta took the time to sign this guy, and he plays OL more often than not he has talent.

I do believe for a guy like Bender, it would be alot easier to make his mark at LG than RT, at least coming out. From what i've seen on him on 2nd team OL, this promotion is not unwarrented. He seems solid.

Also FWIW LInta represents preseason fan favorite Ray Ventrone.

Sweet. Didn't know that about his agent. Thanks.

in general you can find OG in middle or late rounds (heck even UDFA), you can't find CB in middle rounds, especially possible #1 CBs.

I also think we haven't heard the last of Bender at LG.

You're right on about the corners. Even if you do find a quality corner in the second round, you are talking about Nathan Vasher, not Champ Bailey.

I guess my question is, would you rather the jets have the next champ bailey? or the next nathan vasher & Shawn Hutchinson?

IMO, i go with the latter, but i think that is pretty debatable.

You're right on about the corners. Even if you do find a quality corner in the second round, you are talking about Nathan Vasher, not Champ Bailey.

I guess my question is, would you rather the jets have the next champ bailey? or the next nathan vasher & Shawn Hutchinson?

IMO, i go with the latter, but i think that is pretty debatable.

Who the F is Shawn Hutchinson?! Jack Bender for president!

Archived