Emmitt spoke the truth

4HCrew

I think Joe Montana was one of thee, if not thee greatest QB's in the history of the NFL. I just don't recall him throwing that many passes over 30 yards in the air down field. Not a lot of 40 plus yard deep balls either. I think if Chad shows the deep ball once in a while he can have an effective season.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Joe Montana was one of thee, if not thee greatest QB's in the history of the NFL. I just don't recall him throwing that many passes over 30 yards in the air down field. Not a lot of 40 plus yard deep balls either. I think if Chad shows the deep ball once in a while he can have an effective season.

Did you just mention Chad Pennington and Joe Montana in the same post?

The relevance is that just because Brady came along and made you part of a fanbase that has 3 rings it doesn't mean you you get a free pass on a Jetboard calling us and I quote,

"The blind lemmings that are Chad-apologists are a sad and pathetic bunch".

If you don't think you come off as a pompous redneck ahole with those type statements than that's your problem. Stating your opinion on his abilities is one thing(which you've done endlessly)the old superiority crap is another.

Pathetic is feeding your "I am a Pats fan thus I am superior" complex on a Jet board.

It just goes to show you what a d1ck the guy really is deep down. He doesnt even get that his condescending insults are bad form, AND he is too stupid to differentiate between people who support the coach's decision and those who are just rooting for the player.

He shats where he eats, and doesnt even wash his hands before he posts.

Your description of him is perfect, and he has lived down to his poor, no-class upbringing today.

It just goes to show you what a d1ck the guy really is deep down. He doesnt even get that his condescending insults are bad form, AND he is too stupid to differentiate between people who support the coach's decision and those who are just rooting for the player.

Your description of him is perfect, and he has lived down to his poor, no-class upbringing today.

Who posted that?

If you seriously think that about TJ not helping the offence, you dont really understand the concept of football.

He would have helped the offense alot more LAST season. This season, with this schedule? I dont see him doing anything significant. He's nothing more than a above average back. Couple that with the fact this Oline is not good at run blocking, and a zero-threat big play QB - well you get the picture.

Im not claiming Chad at QB will help TJ (although it will be an improvement over Rex). Indeed it will mean that TJ may have tougher running than most RB's but I feel him (along with Leon) will at least be able to maintain enough of a threat to allow Chad these oppurtunities down field.

Chad had Curtis Martin his entire career and he was never a guy who capitalized on opportunities down field. Blame Herm/Hackett all you want, but Chad had his best seasons with them and their conservative playcalling. The minute he gets an OC who asks him to throw the ball downfield, utilize the TE as a receiver and spread it around (Heimerdinger, Schotty), he either gets injured (2005) or has his worst statistical season (2006).

Also how the hell does having Chad at QB effect our pass blocking, it should make it easier as few teams blitz Chad as he is one of the top QB's vs the blitz.

Football 101.

If your QB cant throw the ball downfield, lives exclusively on the short passing game, has a slow release, and cant evade a pass rush to save his life, the opposing teams will just blitz the hell out of you once they take away your running game and they'll flood the field for the first 5-10 yards taking away any YAC of said short passing game.

Well, at least the good defenses are capable of doing this w/o paying for it. Hence Chads 7-19 record vs top 10 defenses.

Your point about tight coverage I agree is an issue, there are some throws he cant make, I am not denying that. But he honestly doesnt need to make all the throws. You can beat teams (even the good ones) without running 20 yrd ins and 30 yards post patterns.

You arent beating any good defense if you havent ever exhibited the THREAT of throwing deep outs, deep crossing patterns etc etc, on a consistent basis, not to mention with actual success, ie in actual game film that they study.

Chads physical restrictions limit the playbook, and the field that the defense has to protect. Sure, once in awhile we'll get lucky and capitalize on it, but not ever consistently, esp against the elite defenses.

I think the deep sideline pattern though is a play that the Jets will use a lot more and with a lot greater effect this season as long as the damn line can just give the guy a chance.

Maybe. But with Kellen Clemens.

Did you just mention Chad Pennington and Joe Montana in the same post?

Yes, I did. But not in the way you are implying. I knew some moron Pats fan would post that. So I will clarify for you. I will type slowly so you can understand.

The argument seems to be this: to be an effective QB you must throw the deep ball (for arguments sake because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass that travels 37.5 yards in the air) on a fairly consistent basis. Chad doesn't attempt to throw or complete enough deep balls to be effective. Therefore, Chad can't be an effective QB. But Montana didn't throw many deep balls in his career either. Montana had a good arm. Not a great one. I bet Montana went months without attempting a deep ball (again because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass greater than 37.5 yards in the air). As a matter of fact no QB benefited more from receivers gaining yards after catch than Montana (you can see if there is such a stat but throwing to Rice alone probably clinched that). Therefore, do you Gainzo apply the same leap in logic to Montana. Do you really think that Montana sucked because he did not attempt or complete enough deep down field passes? (Again, because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass greater than 37.5 yards in the air). Do you??

Yes, I did. But not in the way you are implying. I knew some moron Pats fan would post that. So I will clarify for you. I will type slowly so you can understand.

The argument seems to be this: to be an effective QB you must throw the deep ball (for arguments sake because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass that travels 37.5 yards in the air) on a fairly consistent basis. Chad doesn't attempt to throw or complete enough deep balls to be effective. Therefore, Chad can't be an effective QB. But Montana didn't throw many deep balls in his career either. Montana had a good arm. Not a great one. I bet Montana went months without attempting a deep ball (again because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass greater than 37.5 yards in the air). As a matter of fact no QB benefited more from receivers gaining yards after catch than Montana (you can see if there is such a stat but throwing to Rice alone probably clinched that). Therefore, do you Gainzo apply the same leap in logic to Montana. Do you really think that Montana sucked because he did not attempt or complete enough deep down field passes? (Again, because PFSIHK can throw a ball 30 yards in the air we will say a pass greater than 37.5 yards in the air). Do you??

A paragraph or sentence would be nice.

Dont bother...

Peoples blind hate for Chad is stronger than my blind love...

I just took the time to read the above drivel. You obviously don't like PFSIKH.

The argument is can Chad throw a 20 or 30 yard bullet to the sideline? NO.

Joe Montana didn't "freak out" like Chad does when he is under pressure.

I should start a poll on the board that states: Who is better, Montana or Pennington?

A paragraph or sentence would be nice.

I didn't think you would answer. Because I am right. As for my feelings on Chad. He is a good QB. Do I think he is great? No. Do I think in the right system, with the right players he could be a very good QB? Yes. Do I think he is Montana or even Brady? No. Do I think the Jets could win a SB with Chad as starting QB? Yes, because teams win Super Bowls not individuals.

I didn't think you would answer. Because I am right. As for my feelings on Chad. He is a good QB. Do I think he is great? No. Do I think in the right system, with the right players he could be a very good QB? Yes. Do I think he is Montana or even Brady? No. Do I think the Jets could win a SB with Chad as starting QB? Yes, because teams win Super Bowls not individuals.

I did answer. Doesn't it suck when you are typing a response and 3 or 4 posts show up after you hit the Submit button?

I should start a poll on the board that states: Who is better, Montana or Pennington?

Not really fair. If you cut out all the (anti-)Pat's fan/Troll BS, all he said was that Montana also didn't have a strong arm and he was a top NFL qb. You don't need a cannon to succeed in the NFL. It's a fair comment. I don't believe any of this "how could you mention Montana and Chad in the same sentence?" crap. If you have a problem with the comment it's because you think that Chad's arm isn't as strong as Montana or he doesn't have the other necessary ingredients.

Not really fair. If you cut out all the (anti-)Pat's fan/Troll BS, all he said was that Montana also didn't have a strong arm and he was a top NFL qb. You don't need a cannon to succeed in the NFL. It's a fair comment. I don't believe any of this "how could you mention Montana and Chad in the same sentence?" crap. If you have a problem with the comment it's because you think that Chad's arm isn't as strong as Montana or he doesn't have the other necessary ingredients.

C'mom #27, you are better than this.

Chad will never lead you guys to a Super Bowl.

Joe Montana or Chad Pennington?

Joe Montana could've made the throws if Bill Walsh didn't want him to throw rockets. Montana could've taken the hands off of receivers but Walsh wanted him to throw softer, and he did not throw was soft as Chad Pennington does.

C'mom #27, you are better than this.

Chad will never lead you guys to a Super Bowl.

Joe Montana or Chad Pennington?

The best quarterback on the team is the one most likely to lead you to the super bowl. If Chad is the best he's our best choice. At least after the last few games the Clemens people have an argument. He looks good and more importantly doesn't look lost out there.

After my post you're still asking "Joe Montana or Chad Pennington?" You're better than that Gainzo. It wasn't my point or the original poster.

The best quarterback on the team is the one most likely to lead you to the super bowl. If Chad is the best he's our best choice. At least after the last few games the Clemens people have an argument. He looks good and more importantly doesn't look lost out there.

After my post your still asking "Joe Montana or Chad Pennington?" You're better than that Gainzo. It wasn't my point or the original poster.

Trolls of limited intellect dont always pick up on the nuances of posts. They are fixated on painting with the broad brush to make their repetitive, boring posts.

PFSIKH stated earlier in the thread to someone that said Chad threw the ball 30 yards downfield on Saturday that he didn't consider that deep because he can throw it at least 30 yards downfield. I was just using that as a starting point. It had nothing to do with my opinion of PFSIKH.

As for posts showing up out of the blue. Yeah it sucks!!!

When I posted my original reply to you I do not believe anyone posted about the "20 -30yard bullet to the sideline". It was all about the deep ball, letting it fly, stretching the field. THAT was the reason given for Chad not being an effective QB. Chad panic was never mentioned either. However, did you see Joe much when he played for the Chiefs? If you did then you would never say he didn't freak out. Because he did have his freak out moments. As often as Chad...no.

As for the poll how about you start this one: Who was/is more gay: Liberace or Tommie Brady? :)

Joe Montana could've made the throws if Bill Walsh didn't want him to throw rockets. Montana could've taken the hands off of receivers but Walsh wanted him to throw softer, and he did not throw was soft as Chad Pennington does.

Joe couldn't uncork them accurately on a consistent basis. That is one of the reasons Walsh wanted a more controlled passing game. Don't get lost in comparing the two. I wasn't comparing them to each other. I was comparing both of them to the idea of stretching the field and that you have to do that on a consistent basis to be effective. Then if Chad sucks because he can't stretch the field consistently I asked if Montana didn't stretch the field consistently did he suck?

Joe couldn't uncork them accurately on a consistent basis. That is one of the reasons Walsh wanted a more controlled passing game. Don't get lost in comparing the two. I wasn't comparing them to each other. I was comparing both of them to the idea of stretching the field and that you have to do that on a consistent basis to be effective. Then if Chad sucks because he can't stretch the field consistently I asked if Montana didn't stretch the field consistently did he suck?

Montana did stretch the field consistently and won championships. Chad Pennington has never come close and cannot stretch the field.

Montana did stretch the field consistently and won championships. Chad Pennington has never come close and cannot stretch the field.

Sorry man...Joe was the king of the short to medium pass. He benefited from having the greatest wide receiver (maybe greatest player) ever to play the game to throw to. A guy that turned a five yard slants into 30, 40 and 50 yard completions routinely. He had a good to very good arm, not great. Again, I am not comparing Chad to Montana. You are. Montana was superior in every way to Chad. I am not crazy. Just taking one of the arguments against Chad and showing that it isn't all about that. It takes more than throwing deep to win.

Chad can't stretch the field or throw a pass on a rope to a receiver 15-20 yards down the field.

Im too tired to join it... but it felt wrong not having me here for this debate... :lol:

Rest it dude - I'm more than worn out with it myself. The pudding is right around the corner. Only thing that matters to me is the Jets winning football games - ugly, pretty, however.

The relevance is that just because Brady came along and made you part of a fanbase that has 3 rings it doesn't mean you you get a free pass on a Jetboard calling us and I quote,

If you don't think you come off as a pompous redneck ahole with those type statements than that's your problem. Stating your opinion on his abilities is one thing(which you've done endlessly)the old superiority crap is another.

Pathetic is feeding your "I am a Pats fan thus I am superior" complex on a Jet board.

66668.jpg

Originally Posted by GimmeShelter

http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

Pennington had good numbers against the blitz last season.

Please show me one place where I said anything remotely like that? You cannot.

Here is the problem, when anyone, Jets or Pats fan mind you, says anything bad about Chad and/or the Jets you are either "not a fan" or a "troll." Is troll not an insult? You and JC are in agreement I am a dick, an insult, and you clearly and freely label me a troll. I ask is that an insult also? You and by you I mean you....also like to label me as Tex. Is that not being used in a derogatory way? Again, is that not an insult? Maybe, just maybe you should get off that self righteous horse you are riding on. Remember, the same rules apply to you. Just because this is a Jets board does not give you a free pass either.

In the end, I do not give a **** what you think of me. Max implemented an ignore function. Use it. Anyways, I look forward to your next post labeling me "Tex" or "pompus superior redneck ahole." :rolleyes:

PFSIKH stated earlier in the thread to someone that said Chad threw the ball 30 yards downfield on Saturday that he didn't consider that deep because he can throw it at least 30 yards downfield. I was just using that as a starting point. It had nothing to do with my opinion of PFSIKH.

Ok, if you are going to use my words against me get them right. Ecrub said Chad threw the ball 30 yards in the air, even though I doubt that, it looked shorter but I digress, as a way to illustrate Chad's arm strength. I said an NFL QB should not be measured in the ability to throw 30 yards, that is more of a measure for this board.

You bring up a good point. I used Brady as an example and Montana is also a very good example. Neither had a cannon arm, but both were good enough at the intermediate to deep routes that you had to respect it. Chad is not. Chad is excellent and accurate short. As a DC, I would risk Chad beating us deep on that rare occasion and take away/limit his effectiveness short. Make him drive 10-15 plays for the TD. Play the odds that the offense will get a penalty, drop a pass or do something else that will kill the drive.

Here is the problem, when anyone, Jets or Pats fan mind you, says anything bad about Chad and/or the Jets you are either "not a fan" or a "troll." Is troll not an insult? You and JC are in agreement I am a dick, an insult, and you clearly and freely label me a troll. I ask is that an insult also? You and by you I mean you....also like to label me as Tex. Is that not being used in a derogatory way? Again, is that not an insult? Maybe, just maybe you should get off that self righteous horse you are riding on. Remember, the same rules apply to you. Just because this is a Jets board does not give you a free pass either. Max implemented an ignore function. Use it.

Okay, I'll put you on ignore right after i post this. You personally attacked the intelligence of anyone here who supports mangini's decision as to who to play at QB. You obviously wanted to be flamed, and you got your wish. I'm done reading your condescending crap, since you are apparently incapable of making your points without insulting the intelligence of a significant number of Jets fans here (see the QB poll results) so you can just go fuhk yourself and join garb on her high horse, since she also seems to have a negative opinion of most Jets fans.

/going to ignore list now, so dont bother replying- i wont be reading it/

Okay, I'll put you on ignore right after i post this. You personally attacked the intelligence of anyone here who supports mangini's decision as to who to play at QB. You obviously wanted to be flamed, and you got your wish. I'm done reading your condescending crap, since you are apparently incapable of making your points without insulting the intelligence of a significant number of Jets fans here (see the QB poll results) so you can just go fuhk yourself and join garb on her high horse, since she also seems to have a negative opinion of most Jets fans.

/going to ignore list now, so dont bother replying- i wont be reading it/

Welcome to my side of the world, PFSIKH! ;) No need to bring your own horse, I have plenty of really high ones you can ride.

Archived