Why do so many people on JN not trust Mangini already?

ECURB

What does the round you're drafted in have anything to do with your NFL success? Thats like saying if you're a great College Quarterback you will be a great NFL Quarterback. Enough of this crap. We're all slick of your blind homerism to Chad Pennington. The guy could throw 4 interceptions and you'd still find a way to not blame ANYTHING on him. It would be the Offensive Line, then the Wideouts, then Schott, then the weather that day, the wind speed, the circumfrence of the Meadowlands, etc.

Kellen Clemens is the man in waiting. It took your boy over 2 years. Kellen will need no more than 2.

What was wrong with second round qbs wasn't that the Jets couldn't get Favre when they coveted him, but that when he was gone they jumped on Browning ****ing Nagle because they were dead set on having a qb. My fear for Clemens is that he may have been a panic move because they feared Chad might not have been recovered and they probably weren't in love with Ramsey. Different FO, but same fear of drafting for need.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What was wrong with second round qbs wasn't that the Jets couldn't get Favre when they coveted him, but that when he was gone they jumped on Browning ****ing Nagle because they were dead set on having a qb. My fear for Clemens is that he may have been a panic move because they feared Chad might not have been recovered and they probably weren't in love with Ramsey. Different FO, but same fear of drafting for need.

If Clemens was a panic move then D'Brickashaw Ferguson would not be a New York Jet today because the Jets would've selected Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart.

Or, Nick Mangold wouldn't have been a Jet and the Jets would'v gave in to Detroit's wants for the #9 pick in order for the Jets to dump ahead of Arizona and select Leinart.

If Clemens was a panic move then D'Brickashaw Ferguson would not be a New York Jet today because the Jets would've selected Jay Cutler or Matt Leinart.

Or, Nick Mangold wouldn't have been a Jet and the Jets would'v gave in to Detroit's wants for the #9 pick in order for the Jets to dump ahead of Arizona and select Leinart.

Maybe you're right. Maybe not a panic move, but maybe a reach. IIRC, they were trying to trade back up to get Cutler. There may have come a point where Clemens was the last qb they felt could potentially be thrown into the fire if need be and they had to take one. It's easy to pass on a position when there are 3 or 4 you'd be willing to live with if need be, but you pull the trigger when there is the potential of going into the season with Patrick Ramsey and nothing else.

Despite my concerns with the pick, Clemens looked A LOT better this preseason than last and I still have hopes for him. I'm just not 100% convinced he's the qb of the future or that the FO feels that way.

Cut to Jets war room. The Jets are on the clock.

Mike T: Who do you think we should take?

Mangini: Look Chad is a nice guy and all but I want to take Cutler here.

Mike T: Are you sure? Cutler? Isn't that a bit risky?

Mangini: Golly gee Mike! Maybe you're right. Maybe we should play it safe?

Mike T: Yeah, safe. Play it safe. I like that.

Mangini: Yup me too. Hey lets take the tackle with the weird name. You know The Brickman guy.

Mike T: Yeah. A tackle is always a safe pick. Low risk. I like that.

Mangini: Right. Low risk. Safe. I like that too. Uh..Mike?

Mike T: Yes, Eric?

Mangini: I have no balls.

Mike T: Hey, me either

Mangini: My wife keeps them in a jar. They are buried in the backyard somewhere. So we are taking Red Brick right.

Mike T: Yeah. I think that is safe. You know, better safe...

Mangini:...than sorry.

This is pretty funny, I admit. But as a GM, you dont get fired for going with the safe pick who will become a good solid player (like Dbrick should become). But you will get fired if you take a QB with the #4 overall pick and he becomes a huge bust. As a GM and HC you put your ass on the line when you take a QB with the #4 overall pick, thats just the way the nfl works.

Maybe they werent all that enamored with Cutler, who really knows outside of Mangini/Tanny/Schott? Nobody knows for sure, but the consensus definitely was that Dbrickashaw Ferguson was a safe pick.

But I just personally felt, that they wanted to take Cutler just as much, IF NOT MORE, than Dbrickashaw Ferguson, but they got alittle gun shy on their first gig as HC (Mangini) and GM (Tannenbaum). They played it safe, I think.

And maybe it works out. Maybe Cutler will be a bust, and Dbrick and Clemens will be very good players, but the odds are against it.

This is pretty funny, I admit. But as a GM, you dont get fired for going with the safe pick who will become a good solid player (like Dbrick should become). But you will get fired if you take a QB with the #4 overall pick and he becomes a huge bust. As a GM and HC you put your ass on the line when you take a QB with the #4 overall pick, thats just the way the nfl works.

Maybe they werent all that enamored with Cutler, who really knows outside of Mangini/Tanny/Schott? Nobody knows for sure, but the consensus definitely was that Dbrickashaw Ferguson was a safe pick.

But I just personally felt, that they wanted to take Cutler just as much, IF NOT MORE, than Dbrickashaw Ferguson, but they got alittle gun shy on their first gig as HC (Mangini) and GM (Tannenbaum). They played it safe, I think.

And maybe it works out. Maybe Cutler will be a bust, and Dbrick and Clemens will be very good players, but the odds are against it.

Don't forget that qbs on bad teams generally have a VERY tough go of it in their rookie seasons. Coming off '05 and the purge, they needed a hell of a lot. It would have been extremely difficult for a rookie to succeed in that situation. Especially without D'Brick on the line. Another reason to go with the "safe" pick.

Barton. I don't think they played it safe. There asses are on the line no matter who they pick at number four. I think they were looking to upgrade the o-line first. What use is it to draft a QB any QB if you don't have the line. The "franchise" LT doesn't come along every draft. But the Jets really really needed some young o-line to build around. They got that with Brick and Mangold.

Plus there is a matter of money as well. QB is the most expensive position. Maybe they didn't want to tie up a lot of money on a guy that might be holding a clipboard for a year or two. Drafting Clemens in Rd 2 is a lot cheaper than Cutler with the fourth overall. Plus, I think they really wanted Clemens. They felt that they were getting a QB that has a high skill level. A QB from a winning program. A QB with great intangibles, great character. I think this was carefully planned out. They got the guys they wanted. Hell they traded up for Schlegel for Christ sake. Something like that isn't a panic move and can only be planned. They must have wanted the guy. Same for the others.

Barton. I don't think they played it safe. There asses are on the line no matter who they pick at number four. I think they were looking to upgrade the o-line first. What use is it to draft a QB any QB if you don't have the line. The "franchise" LT doesn't come along every draft. But the Jets really really needed some young o-line to build around. They got that with Brick and Mangold.

Plus there is a matter of money as well. QB is the most expensive position. Maybe they didn't want to tie up a lot of money on a guy that might be holding a clipboard for a year or two. Drafting Clemens in Rd 2 is a lot cheaper than Cutler with the fourth overall. Plus, I think they really wanted Clemens. They felt that they were getting a QB that has a high skill level. A QB from a winning program. A QB with great intangibles, great character. I think this was carefully planned out. They got the guys they wanted. Hell they traded up for Schlegel for Christ sake. Something like that isn't a panic move and can only be planned. They must have wanted the guy. Same for the others.

Good post, crackblock.

Dont get me wrong, I think they really did love the idea of Dbrick at 4, and Clemens in the 2nd rd all along. But I also think they felt that Dbrick was a safer bet than Cutler (and who can blame them), because generally QBs are total crapshoots, moreso than any other position. But I do believe that thoughts about the downside and risks of taking a QB at #4 crossed their minds and might have given them alittle cold feet towards the idea.

Then there was the whole rumored trade agreement the day before the draft where the Jets would trade up from #29 with the Ravens at #11 if Cutler was still on the board, and how Cutler was the only QB Woody Johnson met with before the draft. The signs were all there that the Jets really liked Cutler alot.

Who really cares at this point though. Clemens is our QB of the future who will get his shot, so I'll just hope for the best with him! :) The one thing I hope to take most from the 2007 season is actual positive progress from Kellen Clemens.

• 3 months later...
People are all crazy about the LG situation... but Mangini obviously was comfortable with trading away Kendall... why dont you trust him?

Everyone is bashing Chad before one game is played, yet Mangini named him the starter 8 months ago, why dont you guys trust Mangini on this one?

Im sick of people trying to have it both ways... talking about how much they love the coach... and then talking about how terrible Chad Pennington is... if Chad were terrible (like you make him out to be) that would make Mangini a terrible coach for playing him and Tannenbaum a terrible Gm for paying him.

So go ahead and bash Chad if you want, but remember your also bashing Tangini at the same time... same goes for the Bender/Clarke situation...

No more needs to be said. we now know why you hate Mangini. :lol:

People are all crazy about the LG situation... but Mangini obviously was comfortable with trading away Kendall... why dont you trust him?

Everyone is bashing Chad before one game is played, yet Mangini named him the starter 8 months ago, why dont you guys trust Mangini on this one?

:funny_post:

The name calling is so childish and inmature. If the mods reread the posts the proof is quite evident some have an infatuation with name calling.

I have no problem with you at all but you have been the one calling Irish Jet all kinds of names.

He's a ****ing idiot!!!!

irish idiot you have your opinion obviously a warped one.

Until you prove me wrong and backup the attacks you are NOTHING to me but a troll.

Here is the deal....you both are acting like children with the name calling.

The next person who breaks the rules and calls names will get a 60 day ban from this site .

I hope you 2 understand what i just typed. this will be your only and final warning.

That's this thread,want me to go look elsewhere to find some of the names you called me????

Maybe just go to the thread where you wrongly accused me of wanting the Jets to lose on Sunday.:confused0058:

How about you two listen to my Pm's and just ignore each other like I asked? I don't care who started it...I will be the guy who finishes it though.

Do you want to be booted from JetNation because you can't follow 1 simple rule?

How about you two listen to my Pm's and just ignore each other like I asked? I don't care who started it...I will be the guy who finishes it though.

Do you want to be booted from JetNation because you can't follow 1 simple rule?

I posted that before you posted your warning.

Smizzy, just look through some more of this guys posts. Can I also point out that I'm not the only one that thinks he's a terrible poster. I know 4 other posters who have been complaining about him too.

Smizzy, just look through some more of this guys posts. Can I also point out that I'm not the only one that thinks he's a terrible poster. I know 4 other posters who have been complaining about him too.

Awesome. Follow the rules and worry about yourself. Leave the moderating up to the mods. It's what max gives us Oral for. Let me earn my BJ's,cool?

Archived