Postgame Overview: Jets vs. Patriots

Warfish

--Offensively, the O-line was weak the entire game. While they had a few brief moments of solid pass-blocking....it was exactly that, few and far between. Generally, the line offered almost no protection for Chad or Clemens, opened few holes for our running game, and generally played at a very poor level.

--Thomas Jones......hard to judge, really. He was brought in specificly to revitalize our running game, and in that he failed miserably today. However, how much blame can we lay on him when the O-line simply couldn't block today? The point here though is that we spent a considerably high pick on this player with the idea that HE could fix our running game, and put simple, he cannot. The O-line is where improvment is (was) needed, and if this continues as the season progresses, it can safely be said that aquiring Jones with that high pick, rather than using it on additional linemen prospects, would fall under the "huge mistake" area.

--Trading Kendall. Well, I know it won't be popular, but I guarantee you that our O-line would have played better today if Kendall were there. Guaranteed. The Jets mishandled the Kendall situation for the getgo this offseason, making promises, failing to live up to them, then holding him too long, then failing to ensure we had adequate replacements. Thats a FUBAR situation if ever there was one. This one lies directly on the front office, and their arrogance, and their deep desire to be "ruthless" like their buddy Bellichek.

--Chad Pennington. Played pretty good all things considered. Threw the ball pretty well, made a few very nice throws (the first TD especially was excellent). But his limitations (Lack of mobillity, lack of arm) did haunt us again. Most of it was forgiveable and not game-changing, but the decision to sit on the ball with 1 minute left in the half is a move I, for one, and damn tired of seeing. And it's not because Mangini is conservative, it's cause Chad simply cannot go 80 yards in a game minute. But really, in the grand scheme, Chad was far from the cause of today's debacle, and represented himself pretty well.

Of course, the spectre of his injury prone body now haunts the Jets yet again. When I saw that hit, I thought "torn ACL and maybe even a broken ankle". I was happy to see it wasn't so severe, but wasn't happy to see him back in the game. I don't see that as being a Warrior, I see it as playing a mostly hobbled player, instead of his healthy backup.

As for Clemens...he did not particulrly show himself well today. But then again, who did?

--On Defense, what can one say. The Patriots MIGHT just be the best (Or at least top three) Offenses in the NFL this year, no question. But they walked all over us at will. At. Will. Our defense (especially Vilma and Barett) looked absolutely outclassed, like a Pee-Wee team against a Super Bowl Champion. We couldn't tackle. We couldn't cover (well, Revis did pretty good actually), and we sure as hell couldn't stop the run. The Patriots ran over the beaten corpse of this Jets Defense all....day....long.

The D-Line gets an F, period. Linebacks not much better, and ever our secondary fared poorly (Barrett could get cut today, and I could care less, he was utterly horrid).

Pass Rush? What Pass Rush. Brady had enough time back there to not only ORDER a Pizza, but to actually MAKE all the ingredients from Scratch and bake the damn thing himself. You coulda used a Sundial to measure how long he had back there. And a HOF QB with that much time will kill you every single time. Every time.

If this unit does not (or can not) show immediate and vast improvement....this could become a VERY long season.

Overall: Well, the good thing is it's just one game. Just one loss, in a 16 game season, and we have plenty of time to recoup, regroup, and get our **** in order. But the team must show itself to be better than it did today. The quality of play today was unacceptable from an NFL Team. Now, I personally believe we are a better team, both in talent and in coaching, than we showed today. I think we have a very good chance to play well and defeat Baltimore, IN Baltimore. But another game like this, and an 0-2 start, is a dark dark Omen.

By the way....did anyone else get Keyshaun/Chrebet flashbacks watching Moss/Wleker today? I know I did. Creeeeepy.

Overall Team Gade for Week One: D-

Overall Offensive Grade: D

Overall Defensive Grade: F--- (is Z a grade?)

Here's to hoping for (MUCH) better in Week 2. J....E....T....S....JETS! JETS! JETS!!!!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
--Offensively, the O-line was weak the entire game. While they had a few brief moments of solid pass-blocking....it was exactly that, few and far between. Generally, the line offered almost no protection for Chad or Clemens, opened few holes for our running game, and generally played at a very poor level.

--Thomas Jones......hard to judge, really. He was brought in specificly to revitalize our running game, and in that he failed miserably today. However, how much blame can we lay on him when the O-line simply couldn't block today? The point here though is that we spent a considerably high pick on this player with the idea that HE could fix our running game, and put simple, he cannot. The O-line is where improvment is (was) needed, and if this continues as the season progresses, it can safely be said that aquiring Jones with that high pick, rather than using it on additional linemen prospects, would fall under the "huge mistake" area.

--Trading Kendall. Well, I know it won't be popular, but I guarantee you that our O-line would have played better today if Kendall were there. Guaranteed. The Jets mishandled the Kendall situation for the getgo this offseason, making promises, failing to live up to them, then holding him too long, then failing to ensure we had adequate replacements. Thats a FUBAR situation if ever there was one. This one lies directly on the front office, and their arrogance, and their deep desire to be "ruthless" like their buddy Bellichek.

--Chad Pennington. Played pretty good all things considered. Threw the ball pretty well, made a few very nice throws (the first TD especially was excellent). But his limitations (Lack of mobillity, lack of arm) did haunt us again. Most of it was forgiveable and not game-changing, but the decision to sit on the ball with 1 minute left in the half is a move I, for one, and damn tired of seeing. And it's not because Mangini is conservative, it's cause Chad simply cannot go 80 yards in a game minute. But really, in the grand scheme, Chad was far from the cause of today's debacle, and represented himself pretty well.

Of course, the spectre of his injury prone body now haunts the Jets yet again. When I saw that hit, I thought "torn ACL and maybe even a broken ankle". I was happy to see it wasn't so severe, but wasn't happy to see him back in the game. I don't see that as being a Warrior, I see it as playing a mostly hobbled player, instead of his healthy backup.

As for Clemens...he did not particulrly show himself well today. But then again, who did?

--On Defense, what can one say. The Patriots MIGHT just be the best (Or at least top three) Offenses in the NFL this year, no question. But they walked all over us at will. At. Will. Our defense (especially Vilma and Barett) looked absolutely outclassed, like a Pee-Wee team against a Super Bowl Champion. We couldn't tackle. We couldn't cover (well, Revis did pretty good actually), and we sure as hell couldn't stop the run. The Patriots ran over the beaten corpse of this Jets Defense all....day....long.

The D-Line gets an F, period. Linebacks not much better, and ever our secondary fared poorly (Barrett could get cut today, and I could care less, he was utterly horrid).

Pass Rush? What Pass Rush. Brady had enough time back there to not only ORDER a Pizza, but to actually MAKE all the ingredients from Scratch and bake the damn thing himself. You coulda used a Sundial to measure how long he had back there. And a HOF QB with that much time will kill you every single time. Every time.

If this unit does not (or can not) show immediate and vast improvement....this could become a VERY long season.

Overall: Well, the good thing is it's just one game. Just one loss, in a 16 game season, and we have plenty of time to recoup, regroup, and get our **** in order. But the team must show itself to be better than it did today. The quality of play today was unacceptable from an NFL Team. Now, I personally believe we are a better team, both in talent and in coaching, than we showed today. I think we have a very good chance to play well and defeat Baltimore, IN Baltimore. But another game like this, and an 0-2 start, is a dark dark Omen.

By the way....did anyone else get Keyshaun/Chrebet flashbacks watching Moss/Wleker today? I know I did. Creeeeepy.

Here's to hoping for (MUCH) better in Week 2. J....E....T....S....JETS! JETS! JETS!!!!

Kendall would have been on his ass today just like everybody else. They couldnt run a lick on the Pats last year and so far nothing has changed.

Good job WF. Glad to see you around these parts again.

Right now Montana could be back there. Until the OLine is fixed, it wouldn't much matter. When Chad got hurt I thought he should have stepped up in the pocket. Then I thought -- he doesn't have the confidence to do that.

Brady had all day long to throw. It was sickening.

This game felt, in many ways, similar to the KC Opening Day Debacle. Tough watching your team be destroyed in every facet of the game.

Champions are built in the trenches. And our trenches suck (to put it simply).

Mangold is a keeper. The rest (On either side)......I just don't know.

Good job WF. Glad to see you around these parts again.

Right now Montana could be back there. Until the OLine is fixed, it wouldn't much matter. When Chad got hurt I thought he should have stepped up in the pocket. Then I thought -- he doesn't have the confidence to do that.

Brady had all day long to throw. It was sickening.

Don't you know you can't compare Chad to Montana!

Well said WF...and welcome back!!

Good report with the exception of the usual agenda driven QB anlaysis but that was expected before even clicking on the thread. The hobbled QB marched the team right down the field for a score and was the absolute least of our problems today. Crazy how DBrick whiffs on his block and the QB gets some of the blame.

WTF are you talking about? Chad sat on the Ball? He was going to throw and Dbrick got a false start... at that point everyone knew they would run out the clock...

Talk about an agenda... Chad was the bright spot... you clearly have an agenda

The pats had 8 men in the box the entire first quarter. They took away our running game and dared Chad to beat them. Teams dont respect our passing threat even with 2 good wideouts in Cotch and Coles.

huh?

They left Chad all of the 5-10 yard passes and defended the mid-deep ball the whole first half...

Good report with the exception of the usual agenda driven QB anlaysis but that was expected before even clicking on the thread. The hobbled QB marched the team right down the field for a score and was the absolute least of our problems today. Crazy how DBrick whiffs on his block and the QB gets some of the blame.

That WAS impressive, wasn't it? A JI Guy I was watching the game with (The Crusher) said "Heck, Chad is playing and throwing better AFTER he got hurt, isn't he?" and I had to agree. He looked (Hobblelimp aside) great on that scoring drive. And as I said his first TD pass was a thing of touch-passing beauty.

I don't hate Chad my friend. I nearly screamed when I saw him hurt yet again. It kills me every time he fails....or falls. I just have grown tired of his limitations. But reasonable folks can disagree on that topic.

But today, limitations or not, Chad was NOT the reason we were crushed. If I had a list, he'd be maybe Reason #15 or 16, well down the list behind ALOT of other folks/units/coaches.

WTF are you talking about? Chad sat on the Ball? He was going to throw and Dbrick got a false start... at that point everyone knew they would run out the clock...

So do you,obviously.

So do you,obviously.

Really? Its an agenda to point out that Dbrick messed up before the half?

He said Chad didnt get a TD before the half... when clearly it was Dbrick that messed it up... just truth here... he had the agenda...

Warfish good analysis

The only good thing out of this game is that it is over. Defensively we can not look any worse. The offensive line will have to fall on the front office if we do not see any improvement in the coming weeks.

Really? Its an agenda to point out that Dbrick messed up before the half?

He said Chad didnt get a TD before the half... when clearly it was Dbrick that messed it up... just truth here... he had the agenda...

Hey, Warfish had a very unbiased analysis of the game. which was quite good.

Your pathetic Chad defending is getting quite tiring. he sat in the pocket motionless at times, what say yee about that?

Your pathetic Chad defending is getting quite tiring. he sat in the pocket motionless at times, what say yee about that?

Are you joking? He moved very well.. even had what should have been a first down run... on the last dirve he played he was motionless becuase he was hurt... but who cares becuase he threw for a TD on that drive...

He avoided many pass rushes... what the hell did you want him to do, turn into Mike Vick becuase the Oline couldnt block ****?

Get off your knees for warfish and open your eyes.

D'brick actually messed up twice. He had a holding penalty as well which in total put us 15 yards back. But sure hey lets blame Chad.

Seriously some of you guys are just unbelievable. Chad was brilliant today, even when crippled he dismantled one of the top D's in the league. If you haters are so paranoid that you cant accept Chad was great today, just admit you hate the guy and that you want him to fail.

Give it a rest BP. The QB was not the problem. JI allegience's are fine but don't let them jade your posting quality. Any conversation about the teams failures today should take a month b4 they get to the QB play. Ecurb is absolutely correct in that WF ensured he painted Chad in a semi negative light just to ensure he satisfied prior criticisms.

D'brick actually messed up twice. He had a holding penalty as well which in total put us 15 yards back. But sure hey lets blame Chad.

Seriously some of you guys are just unbelievable. Chad was brilliant today, even when crippled he dismantled one of the top D's in the league. If you haters are so paranoid that you cant accept Chad was great today, just admit you hate the guy and that you want him to fail.

Its true... he picked apart the Pats D and scored a TD with a ****ing limp... and people are bashing him... if the D would actually have gotten him the ball... he would have scored more...

Are you joking? He moved very well.. even had what should have been a first down run... on the last dirve he played he was motionless becuase he was hurt... but who cares becuase he threw for a TD on that drive...

He avoided many pass rushes... what the hell did you want him to do, turn into Mike Vick becuase the Oline couldnt block ****?

Get off your knees for warfish and open your eyes.

Get your head out of your ass ecurb, I've seen this routine before.

It's never Pennington's fault, ever. Dbrick ****ed up with the false starts, yes. but the game was almost already over by then.

What about the kickoff return? was that Dbrick's fault?

Give it a rest BP. The QB was not the problem. JI allegience's are fine but don't let them jade your posting quality. Any conversation about the teams failures today should take a month b4 they get to the QB play. Ecurb is absolutely correct in that WF ensured he painted Chad in a semi negative light just to ensure he satisfied prior criticisms.

Look, blow it out your ass with the JI references, heh?

That has nothing to do with my opinion that our QB sucks. what did he do today to make you so sure he had no fault in today's debacle?

It's kinda funny, on a day we get stomped I still wrote:

Chad Pennington. Played pretty good all things considered. Threw the ball pretty well, made a few very nice throws (the first TD especially was excellent).......But really, in the grand scheme, Chad was far from the cause of today's debacle, and represented himself pretty well.

And yet you guys are taking that as if my topic was titled "Chad Pennington is the #1 Reason We Lost Today, Period".

In a word, get a grip please. Chad played well. Not "Brilliant" as you seem to think, just well, and well with absolutely zero support in the running game or O-line.

If THAT is not enough psoitivity in re: to this QB, well....sue me. I'm not going to lie and slobber the guy. He is a limited QB, who got hurt...again....but played his guts out, and did his best, whcih today (at least) was better than 95% of the rest of his team.

It is what it is. I thought I reflected that pretty accurately.

Look, blow it out your ass with the JI references, heh?

That has nothing to do with my opinion that our QB sucks. what did he do today to make you so sure he had no fault in today's debacle?

2 touchdowns, 16-21, 130 QB rating, etc. Chad was far and away the Jets best player in the game today, I don't even know how that can be disputed.

Listen, Chad had a good game, end of story. He and Revis were the only things worth watching at all. If you really want to comment on Chad negatively, it is the fact that our OL is so bad that we may need a mobile QB just so he can save his own life. The only true mistake Chad made was on the sack he got hurt on, he held onto that ball for too long. If the only mistake our QB makes is holding onto the ball too long a couple times and still puts up those numbers against one of the best D's in the league then I think we're alright.

Everybody here know my stance on Chad, but today is just a stupid day to be having a million conversations about him. This is the equivalent of tending to a fractured shin while ignoring the arterial bleed in the neck. We have much bigger things to deal with.

Get your head out of your ass ecurb, I've seen this routine before.

It's never Pennington's fault, ever. Dbrick ****ed up with the false starts, yes. but the game was almost already over by then.

What about the kickoff return? was that Dbrick's fault?

No but he blamed Chad for not scoring before the half (which wasnt his fault) and you got on me about it... for the warfish love fest...

That wasn't one of the top d's in the league. We just never had the ball enough to expose them.

But yet again, another game he can not come from behind to win?

And?

So you're actually blaming this loss on Chad? Jeezus it never fails.

It's pretty tough to come from behind to win a game when your defense can't get anything even resembling QB pressure, your specials teams gives up a kick return TD, and the offensive line couldn't block a paraplegic. If Pennington had as much time as Brady I think the score might be a little different.

BP, you can't seriously be spinning this loss as another game Chad couldn't come from behind to win, can you?

Archived