Official "Hope Chad lays an egg vs the Eagles so Clemens can take over" Thread

Barton

The people who want Chad to start are putting the team second, not me.

I am all about the team. I want a superbowl. Dassit. Nothing less.

You're full of ****. Wanting the Jets to lose! You're all about Barton you pathetic attention whore.

See, but that's just your opinion. I don't care who starts, I just want to win games, but I'll be damned if I'm going to start wishing the team loses or that a certain player ****s his pants just to get a guy in there...that's all I'm saying.

If Mangini doesn't know the right guys to have in there to win games then maybe he should be the one that's held accountable. After all, how many times has he said it's open competition and the best player starts? Too many times.

:sign0098: Nice post but save your breath. Barton just never got enough love or attention growing up, thus he's turned into an attention whore.

Wait a second now ! I jumped on the K.C. ban wagon 2 games ago also, but there`s no-way i`m gonna root for CHAD to Choke/screw-up & lose so K.C. can get in thats as bad as those idiots who cheered when Chad got hurt .I bleed JET GREEN & would never root for the team to lose not for a first round draft pick..NEVER, If Chads in and our guy ,I root for him to have a record breaking day for "our" offense

At 1-4, we still have a chance to have a respectable season if we just get on a bit of a roll. At 1-5, it doesn't matter if Clemens comes in, this team is going into the tank, nobody is going to try. What's the difference between starting Clemens at 1-5 and at 1-7? 2 more losses and at least he gets a bye week to come in. Still a ****ty situation though.

If Mangini isn't going to make the change after 2 consecutive stinkers to two of the worst teams in the league, how is another loss going to change anything? You act like Pennington didn't have a string of 7 awful games in his career, news flash, he had it last year and Mangini didn't care. If you're serious about a QB of the future, you start him towards mid-season or late in a season where things are going okay. Like Shanahan did with Cutler, like Coughlin did with Eli. Or you start them early on in the season while you can still turn things around. Like Cowher with Roethlisberger, BB with Brady, Parcells with Romo, Fisher with VY. Or you start them as soon as you draft them. Like Peyton Manning, Troy Aikman, Matt Leinart? Or you get rid of your starting QB and hand your young QB the job, like Schottenheimer did to Brees for Rivers.

What you DON'T do, is wait until about a third of the season when the team is all but mathematically eliminated, and then throw a young QB into the fray with no room for error and with the team packing it in. I don't know of any HC that has done that and gotten a quality starting QB out of it in the NFL.

This is week 5. Are you suggesting that because Pennington wasn't benched after week 4 that it's too late now?

2002 Rams got a pro-bowl QB out of it. And they started out 0-4 under the incumbent starter (who had two NFL MVP awards and a SB MVP awar in the previous 3 seasons, mind you). Our incumbent starter has us at 1-3 in games he's started & nowhere near the gloried & recent past Warner had at the time.

And Vince Young didn't start until the 5th game last year. We're entering our 6th game. If that's a significant difference, I'm not seeing it since we're in better shape after 5 weeks than Tennessee was after 4 weeks.

Leinart also started his first game in week 5 when Arizona was 1-3 (they would start 1-8). Now whether he eventually turns into a superstar or a total bust or somewhere in between is anyone's guess. But like Young, it won't be simply because of starting him in game 4 as opposed to game 3 or game 5 back in 2006.

Regardless of what time of year, Eli started over Warner b/c the Giants lost 2 games in a row & it was obvious that (1) Eli was the future and (2) the Giants weren't winning a superbowl in 2004. However, they still had a winning record at the time & this move said to the team, at 5-4, that their season is now over. Just imagine the screams of bloody murder if Chad "gives us the best chance to win" Pennington was benched while the Jets were 5-4 in an awful NFC. You used it as a "smart" example of what to do & I submit to you that every Chadapologist would be calling for Mangini to be fired immediately if he did that & watched the kid lose 6 in a row to start his career.

Roethlisberger & Brady are hardly examples of what to do since their respective teams were coming off down seasons. It's much easier for a coach to make a move when the team's expectations are low entering the season than if they came off a 10-win season 9 months earlier. Also in Brady's case, you're looking at it in hindsight of knowing how great he is now. At the time, sticking with him over their $100M QB took some stones on BB's part. They started out 1-3 & he stuck with Brady, who looked WAY weaker in his 2nd start than Clemens looked in his first.

I've never heard of this "if you don't make the young guy your starter by week 4 then you have to wait until week 11" rule before.

Get Pennington the hell out of there before Coles or Cotchery ends up with a severe concussion. He gets four starts, then a bye week to help with adjustments, then 7 more. By then we should get a much better idea of how he is.

I think waiting until week 10, when a lot of OTHER teams who he'll face have mailed it in, is a poor way of assessing what we've got in Clemens, even if he does well. Get him some real game-time while every opponent is still trying.

This is week 5. Are you suggesting that because Pennington wasn't benched after week 4 that it's too late now?

2002 Rams got a pro-bowl QB out of it. And they started out 0-4 under the incumbent starter (who had two NFL MVP awards and a SB MVP awar in the previous 3 seasons, mind you). Our incumbent starter has us at 1-3 in games he's started & nowhere near the gloried & recent past Warner had at the time.

And Vince Young didn't start until the 5th game last year. We're entering our 6th game. If that's a significant difference, I'm not seeing it since we're in better shape after 5 weeks than Tennessee was after 4 weeks.

Leinart also started his first game in week 5 when Arizona was 1-3 (they would start 1-8). Now whether he eventually turns into a superstar or a total bust or somewhere in between is anyone's guess. But like Young, it won't be simply because of starting him in game 4 as opposed to game 3 or game 5 back in 2006.

Regardless of what time of year, Eli started over Warner b/c the Giants lost 2 games in a row & it was obvious that (1) Eli was the future and (2) the Giants weren't winning a superbowl in 2004. However, they still had a winning record at the time & this move said to the team, at 5-4, that their season is now over. Just imagine the screams of bloody murder if Chad "gives us the best chance to win" Pennington was benched while the Jets were 5-4 in an awful NFC. You used it as a "smart" example of what to do & I submit to you that every Chadapologist would be calling for Mangini to be fired immediately if he did that & watched the kid lose 6 in a row to start his career.

Roethlisberger & Brady are hardly examples of what to do since their respective teams were coming off down seasons. It's much easier for a coach to make a move when the team's expectations are low entering the season than if they came off a 10-win season 9 months earlier. Also in Brady's case, you're looking at it in hindsight of knowing how great he is now. At the time, sticking with him over their $100M QB took some stones on BB's part. They started out 1-3 & he stuck with Brady, who looked WAY weaker in his 2nd start than Clemens looked in his first.

I've never heard of this "if you don't make the young guy your starter by week 4 then you have to wait until week 11" rule before.

Get Pennington the hell out of there before Coles or Cotchery ends up with a severe concussion. He gets four starts, then a bye week to help with adjustments, then 7 more. By then we should get a much better idea of how he is.

I think waiting until week 10, when a lot of OTHER teams who he'll face have mailed it in, is a poor way of assessing what we've got in Clemens, even if he does well. Get him some real game-time while every opponent is still trying.

What pathetic teams are mailing it in with 6 games left? The Dolphins are the only team we play after the bye that isn't playing for the playoffs. Maybe the Chiefs or Browns will "mail it in" but I doubt it.

I think we are all overstating how poorly Chad has played. For the most part he's been as expected. The picks are inexcuseable, but they have mostly been when he tries to make something out of nothing. Something he simply cannot do. He simply has to NOT MAKE THOSE THROWS. If he doesn't set himself and step into the throw the ball is hung for anybody to take. The pick he threw in the red zone against the Giants I don't think he was set. The ball that didn't make it out of bounds against the Bills, same thing. The worst one was the Ross TD pick because he was set and stepped into it, just looked down the wr forever and the ball took a month to get there.

We know what we have in Chad and in my opinion we have what we thought we did last year. I'd be fine with Clemens starting because he finished on a high and made some nice throws against the Ravens, but I'm probably the only guy not in the Chad has to be benched camp. I'll leave it up to the coach to make this decision. I generally don't trust coaches, but I don't know enough about what Clemens brings to the table today to argue it either way. If he's ready and Chad doesn't turn it around he deserves his chance, but he might not be as ready as some of us think.

What pathetic teams are mailing it in with 6 games left? The Dolphins are the only team we play after the bye that isn't playing for the playoffs. Maybe the Chiefs or Browns will "mail it in" but I doubt it.

C'mon man. Clemens wouldn't play teams that have 6 games left in each of the last 6 wks. By his 2nd or 3rd game, he could very well be playing teams like that. Happy now? So instead of getting him 5-6 games against teams in mid-season form, he gets 2-3.

It's a difference if we're considering bringing back Pennington.

I think we are all overstating how poorly Chad has played.
Nope. Worst QB I've ever seen. ;)

C'mon man. Clemens wouldn't play teams that have 6 games left in each of the last 6 wks. By his 2nd or 3rd game, he could very well be playing teams like that. Happy now? So instead of getting him 5-6 games against teams in mid-season form, he gets 2-3.

It's a difference if we're considering bringing back Pennington.

If he starts after the bye, the first two games are Steelers and Cowboys. Both at the top of their division, they will either be playing for home field or fighting for the division. Then the Dolphins, 'nuff said. Browns with three to go, too early to tell where they'll be. Pats with two other games to go, unlikely they'll be "mailing it in yet" because they will either be playing for home field guarantee or perfect record. Titans should be in the midst of a playoff hunt. Unlikely to be coasting there. Chiefs, who the hell knows about the Chiefs? One thing you can count on is in the playoffs or out, Herm will play his vets until keel over. Even if there are better options.

If he starts after the bye, the first two games are Steelers and Cowboys. Both at the top of their division, they will either be playing for home field or fighting for the division. Then the Dolphins, 'nuff said. Browns with three to go, too early to tell where they'll be. Pats with two other games to go, unlikely they'll be "mailing it in yet" because they will either be playing for home field guarantee or perfect record. Titans should be in the midst of a playoff hunt. Unlikely to be coasting there. Chiefs, who the hell knows about the Chiefs? One thing you can count on is in the playoffs or out, Herm will play his vets until keel over. Even if there are better options.

I accept your apology. Email me some shots of the hot Italian women from town and you & I are cool.

I think there's a HUGE difference between 1-4 and 1-5. That's the difference in going 9-2 and 9-1. It seems like only one game but to me it is huge. A few more hiccups on the way can still leave you with a respectable season, as long as you can salvage an 8-8 record. 7-4 and 7-3 for that. That fifth loss has a huge psychological impact imo. You're just playing from too far behind.

I mean why is it in all those examples it's always before week 5? There's got to be something to that right?

There is no possible way Clemens can play worse than Chad has the last 2 games. He can throw 50 screen passes too.

I mean, does anybody actually enjoy watching this offense w/Chad behind center? It's as exciting as staring at a wall.

I accept your apology. Email me some shots of the hot Italian women from town and you & I are cool.

No problem. Just saw a sign on a retail store. It said "Shop girl wanted. Attractive." This sure isn't the US. PM me if you want to see the girls from the Moto show. Here's a little shot I took of the Ponte Vecchio.

l_ef6ff37b6515b4903395da6ca8b170d6.jpg

There is no possible way Clemens can play worse than Chad has the last 2 games. He can throw 50 screen passes too.

I mean, does anybody actually enjoy watching this offense w/Chad behind center? It's as exciting as staring at a wall.

You're absolutely right about the excitement, but Clemens can certainly do worse. In fact he did worse for three quarters. If he could throw 50 screen passes, why didn't he? They weren't open because the D so respects his deep ball?

You're absolutely right about the excitement, but Clemens can certainly do worse. In fact he did worse for three quarters. If he could throw 50 screen passes, why didn't he? They weren't open because the D so respects his deep ball?

It was his 1st start, he was rattled alot by the Ravens D. But he came back and was incredible there in the 4th Quarter. That 4th quarter vs the Ravens is easily the most important and most exciting part of the Jets season thus far. He showed glimpses of greatness, and thats all we should need to see to make the switch.

And I dont think the 1st 3 Qs of the Ravens game by Clemens was worse than Chad last week, despite his completion %, lol

It was his 1st start, he was rattled alot by the Ravens D. But he came back and was incredible there in the 4th Quarter. That 4th quarter vs the Ravens is easily the most important and most exciting part of the Jets season thus far. He showed glimpses of greatness, and thats all we should need to see to make the switch.

And I dont think the 1st 3 Qs of the Ravens game by Clemens was worse than Chad last week, despite his completion %, lol

I hope your right. It's certainly the most important loss of the season. I just hope it's not another Browning Nagle mirage. He showed flashes too.

I hope your right. It's certainly the most important loss of the season. I just hope it's not another Browning Nagle mirage. He showed flashes too.

Wait, you're saying the loss to the Bills and Giants wasn't bad, but the loss to the Ravens was? What? There's no way you mean that.

Wait, you're saying the loss to the Bills and Giants wasn't bad, but the loss to the Ravens was? What? There's no way you mean that.

I mean that, as stated by Barton, the 4th quarter surge by Clemens was the most important part of the season because it shows all this crazed faith in Clement might have some validity. OTOH, I'm not ready to say it was more important than actually beating the Dolphins because the season isn't over yet and the win may still turn out to be important.

I think there's a HUGE difference between 1-4 and 1-5. That's the difference in going 9-2 and 9-1. It seems like only one game but to me it is huge. A few more hiccups on the way can still leave you with a respectable season, as long as you can salvage an 8-8 record. 7-4 and 7-3 for that. That fifth loss has a huge psychological impact imo. You're just playing from too far behind.

I mean why is it in all those examples it's always before week 5? There's got to be something to that right?

Fair enough. I disagree but it's JMO. I really take no solace in an 8-8 season instead of a 7-9 season. Yeah I get to see the Jets win another game, but by the spring that joy will be long forgotten. How much joy do you still have b/c the Jets beat the Bills on the last game of the '06 season, facilitated by a CB who was off the team less than 3 months later?

To me there would be a difference if, like in '02, we had a bunch of injuries that healed. We don't have ANY players banged up except maybe Dyson. None that would help on the OL or DL anyway.

In the end, I want to see Clemens start asap b/c:

1) He's going to be the QB eventually unless he's unbelievably awful (or suffers a freak injury). The more starting experience he gets this year, the better he should be next year (theoretically, anyway).

2) Watching the Jets is one of the most boring ways to spend a Sunday with Pennington in there. And I do it anyway. But it's like watching paint dry...and then accidentally kicking the remaining half gallon & have it spill on the floor. At least when a team like the '04 Chiefs/Vikings, the '03 49ers/Bucs were losing, they were still fun as hell to watch a lot of the time.

Losing sucks, but at least it would be entertaining. And there's nothing close to a guarantee that the team would lose more games with Clemens in there since they're doing so badly with Pennington in there anyway.

what a flip floper. are u sure your not related to john kerry

Dude seriously STFU!!!

I said many times last week that was Chads last chance. Just because I dont have an agenda like some of you idiots and actually allow what happens in the games to affect my views taht doesnt make me a "flip flopper". Grow up, I want whats best for the Jets, last week I thought Chad could get us to 2-4, keep this season alive and most of all help the situation.

IMO at 1-5 the season is dead, Chad has done nothing recently to suggest that he is the future. IMO its time for Clemens, its not that hes a better QB than Chad its just thatwe ahve to see what we have in the kid.

I hope we win 10 straight with Chad and make the playoffs and no one is here to enjoy it.

A wildcard loss and another year and a half of Chad will not be something I enjoy. Winning 10 straight and making the playoffs (not that it's remotely possible...I don't think winning two straight is possible) would set this franchise back yet again.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived