Try to remember what Mangini inherited

Lady Jet

Herm was also down to his 4th string QB. And the offensive line was raped by injuries.

Poor Mangini. This year, they've lost Vilma, and it forced Mangini to actually put in someone effective to replace him.

no excuses for a team in the 5th year of a caoch

Look at the context of this conversation.

I shouldn't have to walk you through that one with kid gloves.

i'm sorry but i dont see much difference between 4-12 and 2-14. if i wereto pick i'll pick 2-14. we'll atleast have a better draft choice

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Thomas Jones trade wasnt necessary and I did not like it as I said when it went down, but guess what? He's clearly the best back on our roster and that trade is not the reason why we are 1-8 nor is it hindering us in the future from spending cap money ala curtis martins contract.

Every FO makes mistakes, ours is no different. There was no way in hell we were going to go in 2007 w/Leon and Cedric Houston. OK, so we should have went via free agency with a guy like Jamal Lewis instead? Thats more than fair but again, Thomas Jones is not the problem here.

2009 and beyond people. 2009 and beyond. Lets see what our FO does in the upcoming offseason. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

no excuses for a team in the 5th year of a caoch

i'm sorry but i dont see much difference between 4-12 and 2-14. if i wereto pick i'll pick 2-14. we'll atleast have a better draft choice

Or, you could look at this way:

It took Herm 5 years to run this team into ground.

It took Mangini two.

As for the 4-12/2-14 thing, you scoffed when I suggested Herm was better than Lord Mangini and then referenced the 4-12 season. Last I checked, 2-14 is NOT better than 4-12 and I don't give a **** where you pick in the draft. That's not exactly something that should go on a coaching resume. "Well, I went 2-14, but at least we had the #1 draft pick".

Dom Capers laughs at you.

The Thomas Jones trade wasnt necessary and I did not like it as I said when it went down, but guess what? He's clearly the best back on our roster and that trade is not the reason why we are 1-8 nor is it hindering us in the future from spending cap money ala curtis martins contract.

Every FO makes mistakes, ours is no different. There was no way in hell we were going to go in 2007 w/Leon and Cedric Houston. OK, so we should have went via free agency with a guy like Jamal Lewis instead? Thats more than fair but again, Thomas Jones is not the problem here.

2009 and beyond people. 2009 and beyond. Lets see what our FO does in the upcoming offseason. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

we can still trade him and get more for him than we gave up

Or, you could look at this way:

It took Herm 5 years to run this team into ground.

It took Mangini two.

As for the 4-12/2-14 thing, you scoffed when I suggested Herm was better than Lord Mangini and then referenced the 4-12 season. Last I checked, 2-14 is NOT better than 4-12 and I don't give a **** where you pick in the draft. That's not exactly something that should go on a coaching resume. "Well, I went 2-14, but at least we had the #1 draft pick".

Dom Capers laughs at you.

it took mangini 2 to run herm's 4-12 team into ground?

your trying too hard

we can still trade him and get more for him than we gave up

Actually, no, you cant.

#1 pretend we go after Mcfadden like some of you want. Then with Mcfadden, Leon, and TJ, we're obviously going to want to dump TJ. When a team is TRYING to get rid of a player, they never get what they want, because its obvious, in a situation like this, they have to get rid of him and his contract.

#2--He's going to be at that magical age of 30. If Marshall Faulk cant produce past 30, TJ wont do much better. 99% of GM's in this league aren't dumb enough to go out and grab 30 y.o. RB's.

We'd be lucky to get a late 3rd for TJ.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets will likely have a chance to draft Darren McFadden and they will pass on him because they already have a ton of money tied into a 30-year old RB that was never anything more than league average.

Not to mention the fact that the 37th pick in the draft, the one used in acquiring Jones, was traded by the Bears for FOUR draft picks, a second, two thirds, and a fifth.

The fact of the matter is that the Jets will likely have a chance to draft Darren McFadden and they will pass on him because they already have a ton of money tied into a 30-year old RB that was never anything more than league average.

Not to mention the fact that the 37th pick in the draft, the one used in acquiring Jones, was traded by the Bears for FOUR draft picks, a second, two thirds, and a fifth.

If they have a chance to get McFadden and they pass on him because of jones the stadium should be firebombed.

it took mangini 2 to run herm's 4-12 team into ground?

your trying too hard

You say no excuses, but then you say Herms "team". You mean a team that went out there with guys who I dont even remember on the O-line(Katnik for one, where's he now?), Brooks Bollinger, and Cedric Houston.

Excuses or no excuses, that was the TEAM he put out there. Not exactly D'brick, Mangold, Kendall, Chad, and Leon.

The great Bill Belichick would have done no better than 6-10 in 05, and if you believe otherwise you're far from the brightest crayon in the box.

I'll admit now you were right about the TJ trade. Not because TJ is a bad player, as he obviously isn't, but because what does a 1-8 team need with a 29 yo RB.

I thought he was what we needed...unfortunately I was seriously wrong.

Actually, no, you cant.

#1 pretend we go after Mcfadden like some of you want. Then with Mcfadden, Leon, and TJ, we're obviously going to want to dump TJ. When a team is TRYING to get rid of a player, they never get what they want, because its obvious, in a situation like this, they have to get rid of him and his contract.

#2--He's going to be at that magical age of 30. If Marshall Faulk cant produce past 30, TJ wont do much better. 99% of GM's in this league aren't dumb enough to go out and grab 30 y.o. RB's.

We'd be lucky to get a late 3rd for TJ.

You say no excuses, but then you say Herms "team". You mean a team that went out there with guys who I dont even remember on the O-line(Katnik for one, where's he now?), Brooks Bollinger, and Cedric Houston.

Excuses or no excuses, that was the TEAM he put out there. Not exactly D'brick, Mangold, Kendall, Chad, and Leon.

The great Bill Belichick would have done no better than 6-10 in 05, and if you believe otherwise you're far from the brightest crayon in the box.

:-({|=

I'm pretty sure Mangini has brought in over half the roster.

This is his team now.

Ellis, D-rob, Barton, Hobson, Coles, Moore, Baker

Those are the starters from then that still start now.

Pennington, McCariens, Cotchery*, Pouha, Dearth, Barrett, Washington, Rhodes*, Coleman

also Nugent

*--They weren't starters for Herm, are starters now. Cotchery didn't produce much, but Rhodes racked up some good tackle #'s in 05.

I'm pretty sure Mangini has brought in over half the roster.

This is his team now.

let see

New York Jets Depth Chart

NYJ.gif

NYJ Offense

POS First Team

WR Laveranues Coles

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Adrien Clarke

C Nick Mangold

RGBrandon Moore

RTAnthony Clement

TEChris Baker

WRJerricho Cotchery Justin McCareins

QBChad Pennington Kellen Clemens

RBThomas Jones Leon Washington

FBDarian Barnes

NYJ Defense

POSFirst Team

RDEKenyon Coleman

NTDewayne Robertson Sione Pouha

LDEShaun Ellis

LOLBBryan Thomas

LILBJonathan Vilma

RILBEric Barton David Harris

ROLBVictor Hobson

RCBDavid Barrett Hank Poteat Justin Miller

LCBAndre Dyson Darrelle Revis

SSKerry Rhodes

FSErik Coleman

BEN GRAHAM

19/31 players are from hermy's team

I'm pretty sure there are 53 players on the team, dip****, not 31.

I'm pretty sure there are 53 players on the team, dip****, not 31.

That and he had plenty of chances to dump these guys, but he refused. He drafted a QB in the second round and then guess what? He refused to start him, preferring what he inherited. Obviously that speaks volumes to his talent evaluation, if the claim is he inherited a ****ty team, then it is on him for picking that team above other options. We saw what KC could do against the Redskins defense, which is light years ahead of the Bengals and Bills, so why wasn't he in earlier? Coach Idiot doesn't get a pass on that. Rebuilding my ass.

That and he had plenty of chances to dump these guys, but he refused. He drafted a QB in the second round and then guess what? He refused to start him, preferring what he inherited. Obviously that speaks volumes to his talent evaluation, if the claim is he inherited a ****ty team, then it is on him for picking that team above other options. We saw what KC could do against the Redskins defense, which is light years ahead of the Bengals and Bills, so why wasn't he in earlier? Coach Idiot doesn't get a pass on that. Rebuilding my ass.

your ass needs an ornament not rebuilding:rl:

If we pass on him, its almost a sure thing that he will be a stud.

a little perspective please,

The 2005 New York Jets roster

QBs

Brooks Bollinger

Jay Fiedler

Kliff Kingsbury

Chad Pennington

Vinny Testaverde

OL

Marko Cavka

Jason Fabini

Jonathan Goodwin

Scott Gragg

Adrien Jones

Pete Kendall

Kevin Mawae

Brandon Moore

Jason Nerys

RBs

BJ Askew

Derrick Blaylock

Cedric Houston

Vick King

Curtis Martin

Jerald Sowell

WRs

Wayne Chrebet

Laveranues Coles

Jerricho Cotchery

Justin McCareins

Harry Williams

TEs

Chris Baker

Matthew Chila

James Dearth

Joel Dreessen

Doug Jolley

DL

John Abraham

Shaun Ellis

Trevor Johnson

Lance Legree

Sione Pouha

James Reed

DeWayne Robertson

Bryan Thomas

LBs

Eric Barton

Mark Brown

Barry Gardner

Victor Hobson

Darrell McClover

Ryan Myers

Jonathan Vilma

Kenyatta Wright

S

Erik Coleman

Andre Maddox

Kerry Rhodes

James Taylor

Rashad Washington

DBs

David Barrett

Oliver Celestin

Darrien Johnson

Ty Law

Justin Miller

Derrick Strait

K - Nugent

P - Graham

Gosh, why haven't we finished the rebuilding mode yet? Mangini should have had this team superbowl bound by now for sure. ;)

We had alot of injuries in 2005, they inherited a team that was 1 year removed from being a kik away from the AFC Title Game. Talent is not the problem on this team.

Of course no team has perfect execution. But there's no denying that mistakes, more often than execution, or game planning, or talent, are what lose many games in the end. Is it realistic to play mistake free? No! I doubt Mangini expects that, rather he stresses it, because it really is one of the most important factors in many games.

I will say it again JC, I do not believe Mangini has done no wrong, I just simply refuse to lay it all on him. sheesh!

Which of Max's threads?

It's not an all or nothing thing, but it is just unrealistic to give mangina any kind of pass for this debacle. He deserves as much if not more criticism than any one player. As Troll pointed out, a large percentage of players on this team are guys that mangina brought in.

For every dropped pass, there is a bad gameplan.

For every turnover, there has been a bad playcall.

For every blown tackle, there is poor coaching up of the players in the scheme.

For every 100+ yard rusher against the Jets, there is the reminder that mangina failed to plug the huge hole in the middle of the DL.

He doesnt get a pass for the team looking as bad as it has this season. Not from me, anyway. And i find it curious that those who merely say "he gets a pass" are so vociferous in their defense of his poor coaching and personnel moves.

He has not shown the potential to be a great gameday decision maker, nor a great motivator of players, nor a great Xs and Os guy who makes nice halftime adjustments, nor a great talent/personnel evaluator, nor is he a straight shooter with his cornball answers. I'm not saying fire him today, but he gets NO PASS for his own actions this season.

It's not an all or nothing thing, but it is just unrealistic to give mangina any kind of pass for this debacle. He deserves as much if not more criticism than any one player. As Troll pointed out, a large percentage of players on this team are guys that mangina brought in.

For every 100+ yard rusher against the Jets, there is the reminder that mangina failed to plug the huge hole in the middle of the DL.

He doesnt get a pass for the team looking as bad as it has this season. Not from me, anyway. And i find it curious that those who merely say "he gets a pass" are so vociferous in their defense of his poor coaching and personnel moves.

He has not shown the potential to be a great gameday decision maker, nor a great motivator of players, nor a great Xs and Os guy who makes nice halftime adjustments, nor a great talent/personnel evaluator, nor is he a straight shooter with his cornball answers. I'm not saying fire him today, but he gets NO PASS for his own actions this season.

yep concur

Do mangini supporters give him 4th year, if we finish 6-10 next year?

one kik away from afc championship game where herm would have gotten owned by the patriots like how they owned herm throughout the regular season

I dunno, it depends on how they look in the process, and whether he shows any improvement in the areas where he has been so bad this season.

Agree. If in year #3 he has not addressed the DL and the OG positions, than we indeed have a problem.

Again, I have seen not seen a sure fire 2-gap stuffing NT's that Magini has passed on. He also didn't stink up the joint as Chad did games 3 through 7 and could not have forseen the drop-off in play that happened this year at the QB position.

It also looks like he ensured Kellen was given the correct amount of time before taking over the starting job though as yesterday compared to Baltimore ,we saw a huge difference in Kellen.

Once the lines are addressed, and they will be, I have no problem going to war with Clemens, Harris, Mangold, DaBrick, Leon, Cotch, Jones and Revis.....all guys this FO brought in or gave a starting job to.

I dunno, it depends on how they look in the process, and whether he shows any improvement in the areas where he has been so bad this season.

I'd agree with this as well. If it looks like more of the same, but with 6 wins instead of 3 due to the absence of 4th-quarter picks, then f-him.

If we go into a third consecutive season with either DRob or Pouha as our starting NT, Clement/Clarke (or similar scrub replacements) still manning 2/5 of our starting OL, then I will have no choice but conclude he is nothing but a micro-manager who will always miss the forest for the trees.

Fair enough, especially the bolded.

I'm still unsure where all these free passes I'm handing out are though. ;)

I'm just attempting to preach a little patience. I just didn't expect everything to fall in perfect place in a year and a half.

We had alot of injuries in 2005, they inherited a team that was 1 year removed from being a kik away from the AFC Title Game. Talent is not the problem on this team.

Gone was Curtis Martin. Gone was LaMont Jordan. Gone was Kareem McKenzie. Gone was Kevin Mawae. Gone was anything left of Chad Pennington's right arm. Gone was Jason Fabini. Gone was John Abraham. Gone was Jason Ferguson. Not to mention, Shaun Ellis has been gar-bage since 2005.

Translation: Our entire offense was in complete shambles, in total rebuild mode. And the Dline lost its 2 most valuable players from 2004.

Yeah, dude. He took over a team in great shape that was just 1 year removed from an AFC divisional playoff loss!! Riiiight.

I'd agree with this as well. If it looks like more of the same, but with 6 wins instead of 3 due to the absence of 4th-quarter picks, then f-him.

If we go into a third consecutive season with either DRob or Pouha as our starting NT, Clement/Clarke (or similar scrub replacements) still manning 2/5 of our starting OL, then I will have no choice but conclude he is nothing but a micro-manager who will always miss the forest for the trees.

I will have no choice but conclude that he is a spy working for Bill Bellycheat and has been sent to sabotage our team.;-)

a little perspective please,

The 2005 New York Jets roster

QBs

Brooks Bollinger

Jay Fiedler

Kliff Kingsbury

Chad Pennington

Vinny Testaverde

OL

Marko Cavka

Jason Fabini

Jonathan Goodwin

Scott Gragg

Adrien Jones

Pete Kendall

Kevin Mawae

Brandon Moore

Jason Nerys

RBs

BJ Askew

Derrick Blaylock

Cedric Houston

Vick King

Curtis Martin

Jerald Sowell

WRs

Wayne Chrebet

Laveranues Coles

Jerricho Cotchery

Justin McCareins

Harry Williams

TEs

Chris Baker

Matthew Chila

James Dearth

Joel Dreessen

Doug Jolley

DL

John Abraham

Shaun Ellis

Trevor Johnson

Lance Legree

Sione Pouha

James Reed

DeWayne Robertson

Bryan Thomas

LBs

Eric Barton

Mark Brown

Barry Gardner

Victor Hobson

Darrell McClover

Ryan Myers

Jonathan Vilma

Kenyatta Wright

S

Erik Coleman

Andre Maddox

Kerry Rhodes

James Taylor

Rashad Washington

DBs

David Barrett

Oliver Celestin

Darrien Johnson

Ty Law

Justin Miller

Derrick Strait

K - Nugent

P - Graham

Gosh, why haven't we finished the rebuilding mode yet? Mangini should have had this team superbowl bound by now for sure. ;)

You want perspective, here is perspective,

jets in 2004 go 10-6, get to the playoffs and a kick away from the afc championship.

jets in 2005, high hopes, but the jets lose CMart, BOTH their 1-2 qbs in one series, and probowl center and end up at 4-12

jets in 2006, things don't look to be great as QB Pennington comes back from second rotator surgery and we have no answer to CMart in the running game. We do fix the problem at Center through the draft, but otherwise no re4ason to think we should do much better then last year. BTW, a first year head coach is at the helm. But surprise surprise, we go 10-6 and get into the playoffs.

Jets in 2007, well, Patrick Ramsey a backup qb is gone, and the Jets dropped the ball in letting Kendall, an aging lg, go, but they pick up a rb from the superbowl bears and addressed issues with serious upgrades in the draft at cb and lb. With no real player losses and lots of additions on paper we should be at LEASt as good as last year. Reality, thus far we are 1-8 and looking at MAYBE one more win against the winless dolphins in their home.

there is reality, the 05 team sucked because of injuries, the year before in 04 was just about as fun a jets team to watch as i can remember. And the 07 team is a better team by far on paper then the 10-6 playoff 06 team.

There is your dose of reality right there. This team has NO EXCUSE for sucking so bad, it is not about"rebuilding" although clearly we need to start doing that now.

Gone was Curtis Martin. Gone was LaMont Jordan. Gone was Kareem McKenzie. Gone was Kevin Mawae. Gone was anything left of Chad Pennington's right arm. Gone was Jason Fabini. Gone was John Abraham. Gone was Jason Ferguson. Not to mention, Shaun Ellis has been gar-bage since 2005.

Translation: Our entire offense was in complete shambles, in total rebuild mode. And the Dline lost its 2 most valuable players from 2004.

Yeah, dude. He took over a team in great shape that was just 1 year removed from an AFC divisional playoff loss!! Riiiight.

he got 2 1st rd picks on the OL, he inherited a great duo at WR, he had a good QB, he had a decent TE. On D our 2 most valuable players from '04 were Eric Barton and dewayne Robertson both of which he inherited. Of he players on the field in SD and Pitt in the playoffs only ferg was a key loss and he inherited Kerry Rhodes which was a huge upgrade. he inherited alot of talent especially on D but he has ruined it trying to force them to play a scheme they aren't suited for.

he got 2 1st rd picks on the OL, he inherited a great duo at WR, he had a good QB, he had a decent TE. On D our 2 most valuable players from '04 were Eric Barton and dewayne Robertson both of which he inherited. Of he players on the field in SD and Pitt in the playoffs only ferg was a key loss and he inherited Kerry Rhodes which was a huge upgrade. he inherited alot of talent especially on D but he has ruined it trying to force them to play a scheme they aren't suited for.

He had to draft 2 Olineman in the 1st rd because of the mess he inherited from 2005.

He was the one who took Cotchery off the pine (thanks hermy!) and started him opposite Coles.

Barton and Robertson were our MVPs from 2004? Are you kidding me? Neither one of these guys are anything special let alone good, especially Robertson. Both Robertson and Barton fell off the map in 2005 after Ferguson left.

He also made Rhodes a leader back there by putting alot of responsibilty on him. And one of those picks was a trade that HE made, and a great trade it was.

So, he inherited this great 4-3 defense (sarcasm) from 2005 which was ranked in the bottom tier of defenses in the entire league. AND you conveniently left out how the offense was in complete SHAMBLES when he took over.

You have an agenda, my friend.

Archived