Sign Philip Rivers as free agent, trade draft pick

SouthernJet

Rivers is a free agent. Sign Rivers who only tailed off this year cause of Norv Turners new system. He would probably listen to Jet obvertures as 1) he was super close to Schott when Schot twas QB coach at SD, 2) Cotchery is one of his best friends and ex college teammate and 3) Jets WR coach Neil Mazzone is Rivers old defense coordinator at NC State.

We then keep Clemens as backup and TRADE draft picks for multiple picks to bolster team, OR if we think Rivers /McFadden will jumpstart offense then go for it,,we just have to bolster OL somewhere along the way...

From NFLs Top 20 2008 Free Agents

12. Chargers QB Philip Rivers

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you watched Phillip Rivers since he left NC State?

He's horrible.

BS!!!!!!!!!!

didnt he make pro bowl in his 1st year as starter last year,,he is in new system this year due to norv turner,,all chargers have had ruf year adjusting,,rivers is pro bowl qb ,,no doubt about it...

Rivers led several 4th quarter comebacks in 2006, and posted the league's highest 4th quarter quarterback rating.

As a result of a stellar performance throughout the season, Rivers was selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. After a 14-2 season the Chargers were set to play the New England Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs. After mental errors committed by its defense and special teams and several dropped passes the Chargers were upset by the Patriots 24-21, ending their season.

BS!!!!!!!!!!

didnt he make pro bowl in his 1st year as starter last year,,he is in new system this year due to norv turner,,all chargers have had ruf year adjusting,,rivers is pro bowl qb ,,no doubt about it...

Rivers led several 4th quarter comebacks in 2006, and posted the league's highest 4th quarter quarterback rating.

As a result of a stellar performance throughout the season, Rivers was selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. After a 14-2 season the Chargers were set to play the New England Patriots in the divisional round of the playoffs. After mental errors committed by its defense and special teams and several dropped passes the Chargers were upset by the Patriots 24-21, ending their season.

The Pro Bowl? Who cares about the pro bowl? Wasn't there a multiple page thread here just last week talking about how ridiculous it is?

Rivers has the best RB and TE in football, yet he still manages to be simply mediocre. He'd go over real well in New York, where he has a fraction of the supporting cast to work with.

Philip Rivers sucks, the guy has the worst mechanics I've seen on a QB in a long time. Wait a second, I just rememebered I saw Tavaris Jackson on SNF last night.

mechanics mean nothing,,nothing,,4th beat QB rating last year is indicative what he can do when he knows system,,and schott is running variation of SD system..

Philip Rivers.........:rl:

who do we have that had 4th best QB rating and was on pro bowl last year???

who can ewe get next year that can accomplish that???

dont read too much into norv turner revamping that offense,,Tomlinson said it set the whole team back...

Plenty of people, if we also trade for LaDainian Tomlinson, Antonio Gates, and the Chargers entire offensive line.

BTW, in that playoff loss that you completely blamed on the defense, receivers, and special teams, Rivers was 14 of 32 with an interception.

Sotuhern Jet, I'm not even sure Rivers can be a free agent. I posted that Glazer article at Draft Daddy and explained Glazer and Pro Football Weekly are the only two sources reporting that.

Rotoworld claims he's locked in for a long while:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=1813

If he will be a free agent, he moves to the head of a free agent QB class that looks very weak:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/freeagentoffense.cfm

dont read too much into norv turner revamping that offense,,Tomlinson said it set the whole team back...

Who cares about last season. Last season Chad Pennington took us to the playoffs. Why would I care what Rivers did last year?

Sotuhern Jet, I'm not even sure Rivers can be a free agent. I posted that Glazer article at Draft Daddy and explained Glazer and Pro Football Weekly are the only two sources reporting that.

Rotoworld claims he's locked in for a long while:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=1813

If he will be a free agent, he moves to the head of a free agent QB class that looks very weak:

http://www.draftdaddy.com/nfldraft/freeagentoffense.cfm

thanks R44,,

I agree with u that Rivers is highly sought after if he is free agent ..

i have seen him play in person alot and he just gets it done,,

and he will know schotts system...and if we pair him with cotch/chansi stuckey/and maybe mcfadden,,who knows,,again, we need to adress OL, but that can doen via free agency or lowew rlever draft choices..

thanks R44,,

I agree with u that Rivers is highly sought after if he is free agent ..

i have seen him play in person alot and he just gets it done,,

and he will know schotts system...and if we pair him with cotch/chansi stuckey/and maybe mcfadden,,who knows,,again, we need to adress OL, but that can doen via free agency or lowew rlever draft choices..

Southern Jet, the Jets need a radical overhaul. Personally, I think the Jets could use a veteran football man like the Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith, who in his 60's (or close to it) and has a ton of experience building a "team"...Smith models his roster after the Colts (character players), because he's best friends with Colts prez. Bill Polian, who's in his 60's, too....both have been around for decades (U.S.F.L./C.F.L.) and built those great A.F.C. teams in Buffalo during the 1990's.

As far as the QB, the Jets have to get that squared away. In the N.F.L. you must have a quality QB and good offensive and defensive lines, or you'll be awful.

Jets have scored the unwanted hat trick: Mediocre QB's, bad O-Line and a D-Line that can't pressure the other teams' QB's.

Jets are an awful mess right now....

As far as Rivers, I know he inconsisitent, but he's still fairly young. Remember, he didn't sniff the field in '04 and '05 with Brees, so he's got an upside, if he cuts down the Ints.

Southern Jet, the Jets need a radical overhaul. Personally, I think the Jets could use a veteran football man like the Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith, who in his 60's (or close to it) and has a ton of experience building a "team"...Smith models his roster after the Colts (character players), because he's best friends with Colts prez. Bill Polian, who's in his 60's, too....both have been around for decades (U.S.F.L./C.F.L.) and built those great A.F.C. teams in Buffalo during the 1990's.

As far as the QB, the Jets have to get that squared away. In the N.F.L. you must have a quality QB and good offensive and defensive lines, or you'll be awful.

Jets have scored the unwanted hat trick: Mediocre QB's, bad O-Line and a D-Line that can't pressure the other teams' QB's.

As far as Rivers, I know he inconsisitent, but he's still fairly young. Remember, he didn't sniff the field in '04 and '05 with Brees, so he's got an upside, if he cuts down the Ints.

solid post R44,,

POTW nomination

he has history with Baby Schott too-not a bad idea...let's face it Chad's gone-everyone knows it and we're gonna need somebody-so why not have Woody spend some of that extra cap money we're gonna have on a player that will be better than what we have now?

I think we should sign Tom Brady since we are discussing things that are definitely not happening

the guy's a free agent jf4h-Tom Brady is not...it's not like it's a complete fantasy...he's a possibility...of course that would mean our a-hole owner would have to up with the bread and not procrastinate until someone else signs him

R44 nails it on the head as usual- if we can not get some players up front we will continue to go nowhere in the future.

the guy's a free agent jf4h-Tom Brady is not...it's not like it's a complete fantasy...he's a possibility...of course that would mean our a-hole owner would have to up with the bread and not procrastinate until someone else signs him

I dont think he is. I believe hes signed through 2010. Even if he was, I would have a tough time believing the Chargers would let him walk with no viable replacement behind him or the Jets wanting to invest a ton of money in a QB with so many other needs and Clemens still under the evaluation process. Rotoworld shows that Rivers signed a 6 year deal in 2004

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=SD&filter_position=QB&id=1813

I dont think he is. I believe hes signed through 2010. Even if he was, I would have a tough time believing the Chargers would let him walk with no viable replacement behind him or the Jets wanting to invest a ton of money in a QB with so many other needs and Clemens still under the evaluation process. Rotoworld shows that Rivers signed a 6 year deal in 2004

http://www.rotoworld.com/Content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&filter_teams=SD&filter_position=QB&id=1813

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7592192?MSNHPHMA

ok, I didnt know about the option to void his contract, which he may or may not do. I still dont think this has a chance of ever happening. I do believe that the Jets will be major players for the services of Haynesworth, Faneca, J.Allen, A.Samuel, or T.Suggs. I personally hope its Haynesworth and Faneca

R44 nails it on the head as usual- if we can not get some players up front we will continue to go nowhere in the future.

Thanks Faba. I was reading another Jets board and some fans were suggesting the Jets use their first pick on safety to create a "super unit" at safety with Rhodes.

Just my opinion, but there can be no such thing as a "super unit" in the secondary, if there is no pass rush...The Giants started two rookies recently at safety -- a 7th rounder (Johnson) and a FA (Dahl) -- and both looked fine with Strahan and crew bringing the heat....again, it all starts and up front.

And to make matters worse, the Jets O-Line isn't much better bag.gif

D'Brick got totally manhandled by Vanden Bosh, leaving folks to wonder if the Jets even have a LT of the future?

I guess the only positive (perhaps), is Vanden Bosh has been so hot recently, no one can stop him -- BTY, wasn't Denny Green brilliant, gluing Vanden Bosh to the bench during his tenure in Arizona, while the Cards lost game after game?

Thanks Faba. I was reading another Jets board and some fans were suggesting the Jets use their first pick on safety to create a "super unit" at safety with Rhodes.

Just my opinion, but there can be no such thing as a "super unit" in the secondary, if there is no pass rush...The Giants started two rookies recently at safety -- a 7th rounder (Johnson) and a FA (Dahl) -- and both looked fine with Strahan and crew bringing the heat....again, it all starts and up front.

And to make matters worse, the Jets O-Line isn't much better bag.gif

D'Brick got totally manhandled by Vanden Bosh, leaving folks to wonder if the Jets even have a LT of the future?

I guess the only positive (perhaps), is Vanden Bosh has been so hot recently, no one can stop him -- BTY, wasn't Denny Green brilliant, gluing Vanden Bosh to the bench during his tenure in Arizona, while the Cards lost game after game?

if there is a better option at LT then move Brick to the other side where we also need a LOT of help-we need 3 new starters on the OL

Rivers is awful, surrounded by HOF'ers in Gates and LT and still he can't get it done. He would be a terrible step backwards for this team.

not true,,he is real dealand will be around as a top shelf qb for many years,,trust me,

and we will be players,,schott will see to that,,its the wayu he can sell his sytem to woody/mangini,,get me aguy who can implement my system,,we will court him,,he may use us to get more monet from SD , but due to schott/mazzone/cotch, rivers will allow jets to court him,,and we will ,,TRUST ME,,remember,,I live in raleigh,,there are certain people we know who are very much in contact with Philip..

u may not like him, but Jets are gonna make a play for him..

not true,,he is real dealand will be around as a top shelf qb for many years,,trust me,

and we will be players,,schott will see to that,,its the wayu he can sell his sytem to woody/mangini,,get me aguy who can implement my system,,we will court him,,he may use us to get more monet from SD , but due to schott/mazzone/cotch, rivers will allow jets to court him,,and we will ,,TRUST ME,,remember,,I live in raleigh,,there are certain people we know who are very much in contact with Philip..

u may not like him, but Jets are gonna make a play for him..

alright SJ upping with the inside info out of North Cackalacky

Archived