With the 6th pick in the 2008 NFL Draft The New York Jets select....

Irish Jet

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it's official, we're picking 6th.

Any dreams about McFadden or Chris Long are probably dead.

So, what now???

Gholsten?? Trade down???:confused0082:

Who said it was official? Where did ya read it? By my calculations, we could still pick 5th if Tennessee Loses tonight AND we win the coin flip with ATL.

So, what now???

trading down option is kaput

that's the way it is, unless Colt Brennan lights it up vs GA and flies up the

charts, Brohm , ryan and woodson are duds!!!!!!

Barring some major shuffling in prospect ranking, I still think we'll go after Lauranaitis to put next to Harris.

I'd actually be OK with that pick.

We need players who can contribute from the word go, LB's normally can at a very high level, Lauranaitis looks like a hell of a player too.

Radio postgame said Jets will pick 6th but it was not official. I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots still and trying to grab Gholston or Laurinaitis. Not sure if there would be anyone at the 6 spot worth another team to trade up for though...

Hopefully these QB's stock gets hot. Then we could cash in.

http://www.nfl.com/standings?category=league

4th? Unless this doesn't represent draft order as well.

It doesn't. Draft order is based on a team's record, and then on their strength of schedule.

So, what now???

True. True, and probably true.

Post game on the radio said the jets draft 6th.

Dorsey, McFadden, Ryan, Chris Long, Jake Long and/or Brohm ... then Jets.

My first (somewhat random) guess: Laurinaitis, ILB.

We DO draft 6th as of now.... That's all we know for now.

Guys are you sure it's not official???

YES. I did the math. Oakland, Atlanta, and Kansas City all played both TEN and IND. Meaning, regardless of who wins tonight we can figure out what their opponents SOS is. It turns out they will all have the same SOS of .5159. Their drafting order will then come down to divisional record, then conference record, then head-to-head. I could care less, otherwise I'd figure that out too.

Jets are unique in that they only played Tennesee (not Colts) so even before tonights game is finished we know we are picking 6th.

If Indy wins, our SOS (strength of schedule) will be: .5198 If Indy loses: .5236

Radio postgame said Jets will pick 6th but it was not official. I wouldn't mind trading down a few spots still and trying to grab Gholston or Laurinaitis. Not sure if there would be anyone at the 6 spot worth another team to trade up for though...

I think it would have to be a QB - Brohm or Ryan - to induce someone to trade up.

Laurinaitis is good. In fact, among the top players he may be the best fit for the Jets. I wouldnt want any of the top O-lineman (ie, Jake Long) at that spot and there isnt an elite edge rusher or WR prospect. So, Laurinaitis is good. IMO.

is this guy any good SE? Can he get to the QB? Because that's what we need REALLY bad is an impact pass rusher

He's a stud. Perfect 3-4 ILB complement to Harris. Lots changes with the Senior Bowl & combine, but as of now he seems to be expected to get drafted in the #6-10 range.

Personally I like that idea better than trying a hand-in-the-dirt DE at OLB before knowing if he can even make the transition. Not with a #6-ish overall pick anyway. The player we draft should already play that position.

Barring some major shuffling in prospect ranking, I still think we'll go after Lauranaitis to put next to Harris.

I went to school with his sister, Shirly Uma

I really don't see us drafting Laurinaitis simply because if we were to draft a LB with a top pick it would be one that is a pass-rushing beast. With that said, I would have to say that Gholston would be the pick there.. and I would love it. Mark my words, the kid is going to have a monster combine and after that hopefully he's still available for us to pick him.

I really don't see us drafting Laurinaitis simply because if we were to draft a LB with a top pick it would be one that is a pass-rushing beast. With that said, I would have to say that Gholston would be the pick there.. and I would love it. Mark my words, the kid is going to have a monster combine and after that hopefully he's still available for us to pick him.

Has Gholston ever played LB before? (I honestly do not know, so I'm asking). He's also going to have to drop into coverage a lot. If he's purely been on the line, it's anyone's guess whether or not he will flat-out suck at it like Abraham. Combine #'s will not tell you anything in this regard. He can either do it or he cannot do it.

With a pick that high, I would rather draft someone to play the position he's mastered at the college level.

Archived