Coles claims he's been lied to...

K2C

I'm taking Coles at his word that the team promised him a long-term deal. Obviously, none of us know what conversations they had.

Based on the Pete Kendall fiasco, however, I find Coles has more credibility than the Jets' FO does.

His word was a 5 year deal, which he hasnt finished playing out yet of course.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the implication is that if Coles were to play out his contract at a certian level that the organization would then compensate him for that, but I think Coles deep down knows that he is physically incapable of doing so anymore.

Coles is getting worn down and is looking for his last big pay day, at the expense of the Jets.

He knows at the rate of his decline that he will never garner the money he once did, now hes just trying to make sure he gets paid.

Let some other saps sign him long term and see what they get.

Bingo

I'd have no problem with Tangini taking a hard line stance to this, ala Kendall (ok,maybe sans the childish rookie barracks move), but this time lets make sure we actually have a replacement in place before we dump a talented loudmouth.

Who is the replacement going to be? Unless the Jets go out and get Chad Johnson, Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald this off-season they better not be trading Coles for a mid-round pick like they did with Kendall. Good receivers are hard to find and the Jets are lucky to have two of them.

I don't want to hear about the Jets shipping off Coles for a 4th round pick, drafting a wr there, and Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery are our two starting wr's next year. The KC d*ckriders will have a barrell-full of excuses for next season if that happens.

Wonderful

I am sick of this FO

these empty promises, who is lying now?

Kendall,Coles...Mangina?

Clearly Coles and Kendall.

I don't care if these players are illiterate, they hire very high priced, cut throat agents who can read.

They don't take the players across the street to the neighborhood saloon, and get them drunk, and then trick them into signing contracts.

For the most part it is 99% handled by the agents. When they have a deal cut, they tell the players.

This is big business. if it isn't in writing it doesn't exist

Who is the replacement going to be? Unless the Jets go out and get Chad Johnson, Roy Williams or Larry Fitzgerald this off-season they better not be trading Coles for a mid-round pick like they did with Kendall. Good receivers are hard to find and the Jets are lucky to have two of them.

I don't want to hear about the Jets shipping off Coles for a 4th round pick, drafting a wr there, and Brad Smith and Jerricho Cotchery are our two starting wr's next year. The KC d*ckriders will have a barrell-full of excuses for next season if that happens.

I would think that the injuries to Coles and Cotch last year showed the lack of depth at WR to the FO, and that (hopefully) they were planning to pick up someone anyway. We will see.......

Its not about whether or not the team need Coles or whether he's being a baby about whining about getting rich by playing football. The coming dispute indicates a pattern in the teams dealings with its veteran players. And that pattern isnt good. Its not going to help the Jets attract veteran free agents and its not going to help them keep their own.

Kendall last year and Coles this year were probably the best players in their respective corps. Both seem to indicate at the very least that Mangini and Tannenbaum are playing a little fast and loose with the truth.

I'm taking Coles at his word that the team promised him a long-term deal. Obviously, none of us know what conversations they had.

Based on the Pete Kendall fiasco, however, I find Coles has more credibility than the Jets' FO does.

Why would the team have to promise Coles anything? Did Coles sacrifice anything for the Jets or give anything to the Jets for which they owe him something over and above his weekly paycheck?

Its not about whether or not the team need Coles or whether he's being a baby about whining about getting rich by playing football. The coming dispute indicates a pattern in the teams dealings with its veteran players. And that pattern isnt good. Its not going to help the Jets attract veteran free agents and its not going to help them keep their own.

Kendall last year and Coles this year were probably the best players in their respective corps. Both seem to indicate at the very least that Mangini and Tannenbaum are playing a little fast and loose with the truth.

I definitely agree. There are promises or statements that men can back out from. Lying to your best players about what kinds of contracts they'll be getting is not one of them.

This clearly shows Mangini does not have the respect of his veteran players or at least is afraid of that and is willing to circumvent that by telling them they'll be getting these big contract extensions if they listen to him and play hard. Nice and good and until the time comes for you to give Pete Kendall or Lavernues Coles that contracts you promised them and then all hell breaks loose.

Tangini f_cked themselves and our team with Kendall and history is repeating itself now with Coles.

Come on, Gibbon. These are two savvy veterans who understand the NFL game very, very well. They are playing it to the best of their abilities: Kendall did nicely, landing himself in WAS with a new contract. Lets see how Coles does.

In any event, they are both doing better than Zach Thomas. Do you think Miami will suffer in FA because of the shabby way in which they treated one of the best players in team history?

Tangini f_cked themselves and our team with Kendall and history is repeating itself now with Coles.

You are being naive if you think Coles expected anything that was promised him that was not in writing. He is negotiating, just as Kendall did last year.

Kendall was the thrid best player on a 5 man OL last year. Two rookies were better then him.

He was a JAG. The very stupid thing the FO did was thinking that a stump like Clarke was an NFL player.

I love Coles, but the fact of the matter is he is one more hit from joining Chrebet in the Restaurant business. You don't pay players for what they did 3 years ago. You pay them for what they are going to do next year.

Oh I definitely agree it wouldn't be easy to replace him, and we'd better not ship him off for just a 4th rounder, but I'd be just as pissed to hear they gave a lucrative extension to a 30 year old receiver who's best days are behind him and is coming off of an injury riddled season.

The Jets have enough issues personnel wise right now, they don't need Coles pissing and moaning to the press that his house needs another bowling alley and making WR any bigger of a hole than it already is.

Wasn't he quoted in the papers a month or so ago saying he didn't plan on this getting into the media at all?? I love coles as much as the next guy, but i'm not forgetting the same LC who bolted from the jets to take all of snyders millions all while bashing the jets in the media, than left washington to come and take more money from the jets, which was a significant contract, all while bashing the skins in the papers.

And aren't i mistaken, but isn't this the same laveraneus coles who said he didn't know how many more years he was going to be playing?? Last year he made it seem as if he would only be around for a year or two more.

Wasn't he quoted in the papers a month or so ago saying he didn't plan on this getting into the media at all?? I love coles as much as the next guy, but i'm not forgetting the same LC who bolted from the jets to take all of snyders millions all while bashing the jets in the media, than left washington to come and take more money from the jets, which was a significant contract, all while bashing the skins in the papers.

And aren't i mistaken, but isn't this the same laveraneus coles who said he didn't know how many more years he was going to be playing?? Last year he made it seem as if he would only be around for a year or two more.

Sounds like hes trolling for one more big payday to me.

Come on, Gibbon. These are two savvy veterans who understand the NFL game very, very well. They are playing it to the best of their abilities: Kendall did nicely, landing himself in WAS with a new contract. Lets see how Coles does.

In any event, they are both doing better than Zach Thomas. Do you think Miami will suffer in FA because of the shabby way in which they treated one of the best players in team history?

They also understand when some one promises them something and then doesnt deliver. Mangini prides himself on prizing character and ethics in his players and then apparantly he or Tannenbaum withdraw from verbal agreements.

No doubt Coles will end up fine as did Kendall. But where will that leave the Jets? That's the issue I'm addressing. Its not whether or not Coles is being mistreated, its whether or not he ends up leaving the Jets before the Jets have a replacement lined up. Thats what happened to us in the Kendall situation and it seems the Coles situation is heading down the same road.

Kendall was the thrid best player on a 5 man OL last year. Two rookies were better then him.

He was a JAG. The very stupid thing the FO did was thinking that a stump like Clarke was an NFL player.

Really?

Well seemingly that JAG was the lynch pin on which our OL relied to be successful because that straight up sucked without him.

Clarke was a JAG. Kendall was a proven veteran who could and still can play well at this level.

I would agree with those who think that Cotchery is perhaps the best receiver of the team, but how good is he going to be without Coles. How effective is he gonna be when the only other threats we have are B. Smith, McCairens, and Clowney?

They also understand when some one promises them something and then doesnt deliver. Mangini prides himself on prizing character and ethics in his players and then apparantly he or Tannenbaum withdraw from verbal agreements.

No doubt Coles will end up fine as did Kendall. But where will that leave the Jets? That's the issue I'm addressing. Its not whether or not Coles is being mistreated, its whether or not he ends up leaving the Jets before the Jets have a replacement lined up. Thats what happened to us in the Kendall situation and it seems the Coles situation is heading down the same road.

I am suggesting that the Jets promised nothing because they had no reason to make promises. Coles is posturing for more money. He doesnt care whether the Jets have someone else lined up. He doesnt care about anything except getting an extension.

I'll ask this again: do you think Miami will suffer from the way they have treated Zach Thomas? Neither do I. And the Jets will not suffer from this.

They may suffer from Woody Johnson's cheapness, but not from this.

Really?

Well seemingly that JAG was the lynch pin on which our OL relied to be successful because that straight up sucked without him.

Clarke was a JAG. Kendall was a proven veteran who could and still can play well at this level.

The line sucked with Kendall, too. In fact, Kendall was mediocre this past year with the skins. He was light years better than Clarke, but below average in terms of overall NFL left guard talent. Best thing about Kendall in 2007: He blew the block that turned around the Giants' season.

But enough about Pete Kendall :)

I am suggesting that the Jets promised nothing because they had no reason to make promises. Coles is posturing for more money. He doesnt care whether the Jets have someone else lined up. He doesnt care about anything except getting an extension.

I'll ask this again: do you think Miami will suffer from the way they have treated Zach Thomas? Neither do I. And the Jets will not suffer from this.

They may suffer from Woody Johnson's cheapness, but not from this.

The situation with Thomas and the Dolphins is different from that with Coles and the Jets.

1. Thomas played little last year because of severe concussion problems. Miami can rightly consider him to be unable or unfit to play. Given what we now know about concussions cutting Thomas seems like a wise move. Coles played well most of the year and though often plagued with nagging injuries is not actually risking his health by continuing to play the way Thomas is.

2. Miami is going through a regime change. Parcells is clearly starting over from scratch. If the Dolphins win 4 games next year it will be seen as a tremendous step forward. Mangini is going into his third year. He should be fielding a consistently good team that wins more than it loses this coming season. Coles would be a big contributor to that and is still a better than average NFL reciever.

3. Mangini constantly talks about how great he thinks Coles is and how well he fits the teams core values. Parcells has no reason to be loyal to Thomas and never made him out to be the ideal Dolphin.

Of course Coles is trying to get more money. I dont necessarily agree that he deserves it, but your assertion that because Coles wants a bigger pay day he is lying is unfounded.

I know you still have faith in Mangini and I hope you are right, but more an more it seems like something is rotten in the locker room and the front office.

Of course Coles is trying to get more money. I dont necessarily agree that he deserves it, but your assertion that because Coles wants a bigger pay day he is lying is unfounded.

I know you still have faith in Mangini and I hope you are right, but more an more it seems like something is rotten in the locker room and the front office.

There are differences in any two situations but the bottom line is this: if you have no value to Parcells then he will jettison you. The same can be said for all of the good FOs (Patriots, Steelers are prime examples). Do you think Parcells' ruthlessness will deny him access to players in the FA mkt? I dont think so. And this situation, if it ends badly b/w Coles and the Jets, will be no different. All players know that all FOs are ruthless. Thats why the only money that truly matter in these contracts is the guaranteed upfront money. Coles knows this. And everybody who is a FA now and forever into the future will know this. If Woody wants to pay them and they like NYC and can tolerate some losing they will sign with the Jets.

I will agree with you that something is wrong with the Jets FO if they dont sign Rhodes to a long term deal.

Next time a player gets asked to restructure to free up some cap room or whatever, he needs to tell Manginibaum "F U." It's obvious our team is now being run by lying scumbags who don't care about the results of their treachery.

No player who is paying attention is going to agree to anything that's not in writing.

It has become as hard to be a Jets fan as it ever was, and I'm counting both the Walton and Kotite years.

I dunno. The article implies the FO actually guaranteed the next two years of his contract.

I may be mistaken but don't recall that happening too often.

Any of us who work for large corporations have been verbally told our jobs are safe and that doesn't always pan out to be true. Telling Coles he will be a Jet forever is no different.

Coles is at least guaranteed mega millions over the next two seasons. Had he had a injury free season I think a extension would have happened. He didn't and you can't blame the FO for proceeding with caution.

The line sucked with Kendall, too. In fact, Kendall was mediocre this past year with the skins. He was light years better than Clarke, but below average in terms of overall NFL left guard talent. Best thing about Kendall in 2007: He blew the block that turned around the Giants' season.

But enough about Pete Kendall :)

True. Kendall wasn't worth any renegotiation.

Jets front office needs to be more commited to these players that give their blood and sweet to this team year after out. I'm not a fan of Coles going public but what happen last season with Kendell its the same complaint.

Jets front office is at fault here. Coles had enough hard hits from DB's and LBs to get a coupe more years added on. Give Coles what he wants and lets not add another hole to this team. Its the last thing this team needs right now!!!

Jets front office needs to be more commited to these players that give their blood and sweet to this team year after out. I'm not a fan of Coles going public but what happen last season with Kendell its the same complaint.

Jets front office is at fault here. Coles had enough hard hits from DB's and LBs to get a coupe more years added on. Give Coles what he wants and lets not add another hole to this team. Its the last thing this team needs right now!!!

This is exactly why as a GM you can't let your emotions cloud your judgement. You actually just made an argument that we should give a player who is banged up, injured and on the downward part of his career an extra two years because he got hit hard?? This is the NFL, coles was getting paid extremely well to go out and take those hits. He got "a $13 million bonus in 2003, a $5 million bonus in 2005 and total base salaries of more than $9 million over the last five years, meaning he's averaged about $5.5 million a year since the expiration of his rookie contract while averaging about 950 receiving yards a season." ~ http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/nfl/new-york-jets/

Don't forget, this is the same coles who said he would never forget that the jets took a chance on him coming out of college, and repayed them by going to the redskins for the bigger money. The same Coles who came back to the jets in search of more money and a chance to win, the same coles who said he wasn't sure how much longer he was going to be able to play and the same coles who said he wasn't going to make this a media spectacle. No one has any idea what LC was promised by our FO, but all of a sudden we are willing to throw our FO under the buss because coles comes out and complains he's not gonna get an extra few years added on to his already substantial contract. Also, if it's true they promised him the rest of his 11 million dollars and two years, that is pretty impressive as far as most front offices are concerned.

People are constantly criticizing tannenbaum and mangini for making terrible moves, but some are now calling for us to give an injury riddled aging reciever more years and guaranteed money?? The logic sounds kind of backwards. I love coles as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to give him more money just because i like him. It's a business, as he has showed throughout the years, and you can't expect our front office to make a deal that isn't in the best interest of our team.

I think we should try to resign him but the reasons you listed are all wrong. You don't resign a player for his heart or because he's taken so many hits (that actually worries me a bit). If we resign Coles it's because he's a damn good WR who still has a lot of production left in him.

I think we should try to resign him but the reasons you listed are all wrong. You don't resign a player for his heart or because he's taken so many hits (that actually worries me a bit). If we resign Coles it's because he's a damn good WR who still has a lot of production left in him.

Exactly. If we feel he can produce at a high level for years than by all means resign him, but if they don't, than it seems they don't beleive he can keep up that level of play. (I would like to know what happened to the guy who was complaining about the tough offseasons and said he probably won't be around much longer...but now he wants an extension?)

A little sidenote..watching the NBA all star challenge and man does the canadian national anthem absolutely pale in comparison to the star spangled banner..not even close..sorry for any of you canadians.

Archived