Let's rock

Jet Moses

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks. Me and my friend have to start playing some T. Rex. They started as a two piece so it's only proper.

Hi, LS. Glad to hear the you guys are still jamming. I meant to have you check out Carl Palmer's drumming in ELP's version of Hoedown, post #204. Emerson's brilliance is totally obvious, but Palmer's drumming is insane. Anyway, I thought that if you two were going to cover a T-Rex tune, it should probably be Hot Love or Baby Strange. They have great hooks and would work well as a duo piece. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you guys are gonna rip it up. (BTW, I can't believe how much I looked like Bolan as a young man, corkscrew hair and all. Probably because of how much I idolized him and Ian Hunter.)

T-Rex

Hot Love

03SOc4sWcxI

tUUZL4R4h1s

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, LS. Glad to hear the you guys are still jamming. I meant to have you check out Carl Palmer's drumming in ELP's version of Hoedown, post #204. Emerson's brilliance is totally obvious, but Palmer's drumming is insane.

Palmer is absolutley insane Borgo and fit perfectly with Emerson's blowaway boardsmanship. When I saw them in 73 as altered as anyone ever needed to be in public - Emerson flew in from the ceiling playing a Steinway supported by guide wires. I wasn't the same for a bit - but recovered to remember some parts of the concert.

But what I'd like to show our buddy Drums (LS) is what I consider to be the finest piece of fundamental drumming ever done on a stage by a then 19 year old Michael Schrieve at Max Yasgurs farm in 1969. Notice LS he's using the traditional grip that gives him the leverage to make all those power rolls.

I watch this and still just shake my head in disbelief.

XnamP4-M9ko

Palmer is absolutley insane Borgo and fit perfectly with Emerson's blowaway boardsmanship. When I saw them in 73 as altered as anyone ever needed to be in public - Emerson flew in from the ceiling playing a Steinway supported by guide wires. I wasn't the same for a bit - but recovered to remember some parts of the concert.

But what I'd like to show our buddy Drums (LS) is what I consider to be the finest piece of fundamental drumming ever done on a stage by a then 19 year old Michael Schrieve at Max Yasgurs farm in 1969. Notice LS he's using the traditional grip that gives him the leverage to make all those power rolls.

XnamP4-M9ko

That ELP concert--and your heightened state of consciousness--sounds awesome. Speaking of getting hammered before concerts, I had a friend who was a keyboard player that absolutely idolized Rick Wakeman of Yes. At some point in the early 70s, we get tickets to see Yes at the Garden and he is shot out of a cannon in anticipation. Of course, he does the next logical thing, which is to consume a pint of blackberry brandy on the way to the show. No joke, he puked and was passed out under his chair for all of that stellar show. LOL. We never let him live it down. The next time we saw Yes, Patrick Moraz was the keyboardist. He was great, but my buddy was crestfallen that he'd missed his one chance to see Wakeman.

Regarding Shrieve, you nailed it bringing him up. What a force. Over the many years, I have brought him up to various people in my life. Everyone is incredulous that such a young player could have such musical chops and soul. I think LS may have brought him up in one of these rock threads. Keep posting your thoughts, NJ. I really enjoy your perspective.

About 5 years ago, I turned these young Dominican's onto this stuff; they loved it! They were so hungry for melody and harmony. I turned them onto Dion and the Belmonts and Bobby Darin. :lol:

Good kids.

SNYdcwunG7g

wait, why are you turning on young Dominicans?

Hi, LS. Glad to hear the you guys are still jamming. I meant to have you check out Carl Palmer's drumming in ELP's version of Hoedown, post #204. Emerson's brilliance is totally obvious, but Palmer's drumming is insane. Anyway, I thought that if you two were going to cover a T-Rex tune, it should probably be Hot Love or Baby Strange. They have great hooks and would work well as a duo piece. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you guys are gonna rip it up. (BTW, I can't believe how much I looked like Bolan as a young man, corkscrew hair and all. Probably because of how much I idolized him and Ian Hunter.)

]

Sh-t! I never saw these posts. NJ- Man he is good! I've contributed to a lot of that video's views on youtube ha. Definitely one of my favorite's. That guy blows me away. He's sick. Borgo, thanks. I can definitely hear us playing those songs. We still have to work T-Rex into the repertoire. We've been playing a lot of Chocolate Watchband.

I used to crank Uriah Heep in my basement, and play air guitar and scream

I WAS CHEERED! AND ADORED!

AND I THOUGHT FAME, WAS ALL THE WORLD!

:headbang:

I ONLY KNEW! I HAD TO WIN!

AND BUILD A WORLD! WHERE I WAS KING!

-Pilgrim

Sweet Freedom is one of my favorite albums from that era. I've posted it before, I think, but Ken Hensley's crushing organ intro in Pilgrim gives me chills each time I hear it. Byron's singing really stands out in this long form piece.

e-kyXDYBIAE

Sweet Freedom is one of my favorite albums from that era. I've posted it before, I think, but Ken Hensley's crushing organ intro in Pilgrim gives me chills each time I hear it. Byron's singing really stands out in this long form piece.

It is a great album. My fave's from that era:

Black Sabbath Sabotage

Deep Purple In Rock

Rainbow Rising

Judas Priest Stained Class

Blue Oyster Cult Fire of unknown origin

UFO Obsession

Uriah Heep Best of

Scorpions Lovedrive

It is a great album. My fave's from that era:

Black Sabbath Sabotage

Deep Purple In Rock

Rainbow Rising

Judas Priest Stained Class

Blue Oyster Cult Fire of unknown origin

UFO Obsession

Uriah Heep Best of

Scorpions Lovedrive

No Machine Head Jetmo?

No Machine Head Jetmo?

I couldn't name them all. :lol:

I was more Live in Japan.

I do want to clarify that genre of that era. It's funny, because we called that stuff heavy metal when I was growing up. Today, that stuff is just rock music.

AC DC back in black was a heavy metal album when it came out, but now I wouldn't call it that, I'd call it rock and roll, hard rock, even blues rock.

How 'bout some more 80's rock:

svg_tvwW4po&feature=related

Nice find!! Man that is one band that I wish I saw live.

I couldn't name them all. :lol:

I was more Live in Japan.

I do want to clarify that genre of that era. It's funny, because we called that stuff heavy metal when I was growing up. Today, that stuff is just rock music.

AC DC back in black was a heavy metal album when it came out, but now I wouldn't call it that, I'd call it rock and roll, hard rock, even blues rock.

How 'bout some more 80's rock:

svg_tvwW4po&feature=related

Archived