Let's rock

Jet Moses

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stevie!!

LZMmV6xXYFw

Steve Marriot was Jimmy Page's first choice for lead singer with The New Yardbirds who we all know became Led Zeppelin. BTW; great respect to Robert Plant for NOT agreeing to do another (tired) Led Zep reunion and choosing to continue his growth as an artist by working with Alison Krauss

Steve Marriot was Jimmy Page's first choice for lead singer with The New Yardbirds who we all know became Led Zeppelin. BTW; great respect to Robert Plant for NOT agreeing to do another (tired) Led Zep reunion and choosing to continue his growth as an artist by working with Alison Krauss

Stevie Marriott might be the best singer in rock that most people have never heard of. What a voice. I agree with your appraisal of Plant's wisdom in not signing up for "the Vegas act". Let the legend live, Jimmy. Please.

Raising Sand by Plant and Allison Krauss is in my top five albums of last year. Whoever thought to put those two together is a genius. Her voice and phrasing is ridiculously phenomenal. And Plant still sounds amazing.

-foRlpJLQyE

Stevie Marriott might be the best singer in rock that most people have never heard of. What a voice. I agree with your appraisal of Plant's wisdom in not signing up for "the Vegas act". Let the legend live, Jimmy. Please.

Raising Sand by Plant and Allison Krauss is in my top five albums of last year. Whoever thought to put those two together is a genius. Her voice and phrasing is ridiculously phenomenal. And Plant still sounds amazing.

-foRlpJLQyE

I think T Bone is the architect BG, he chose the songs and may have come up with idea of pairing them-Plant is singing now--better than ever-to try and hit those vocal heights at 62? forgetabowdit

All the power to him. I'm kind of upset with Jimmy Page. He seems to make poor decisions these days, somewhat tarnishing, and definitely going against the zeppelin tradition.

I have heard some names about who is supposedly going to go on tour with them to replace Plant. They are no where near able to pull it off. The only guy I could think of, who could hold his own, is Chris Robertson of the Black Crowes. I assume he'd probably turned it down (if asked)- a sort of been-there-done-that type of thing. What the hell Jimmy?

At least they won't be touring as Led Zeppelin.

I think T Bone is the architect BG, he chose the songs and may have come up with idea of pairing them-Plant is singing now--better than ever-to try and hit those vocal heights at 62? forgetabowdit

T-Bone is a master. I've watched a few live performances by the Plant-Krauss Band, and Burnett has amazed me with not only unique style of playing, but the richness and luscious 50s-era tone within the arrangements. I hope that makes sense, I'm slightly loaded with some fine French birthday Champers. If I were a rich man, I would never drink anything but this stuff ever again.

CJ6t-UW1AmQ

All the power to him. I'm kind of upset with Jimmy Page. He seems to make poor decisions these days, somewhat tarnishing, and definitely going against the zeppelin tradition.

I have heard some names about who is supposedly going to go on tour with them to replace Plant. They are no where near able to pull it off. The only guy I could think of, who could hold his own, is Chris Robertson of the Black Crowes. I assume he'd probably turned it down (if asked)- a sort of been-there-done-that type of thing. What the hell Jimmy?

At least they won't be touring as Led Zeppelin.

I saw Zeppelin at the Garden way back when and would never go see them now-their music is very dated IMHO-especially lyrically

• 2 weeks later...

Extol

Burial

These guys amaze me. They have the unique ability to, brilliantly, switch gears at a second's notice from pounding metal, to launch into some hauntingly beautiful choral phrases. Check out the tonal switch at about :25 as an example. This cut is from their 1998 debut album.

tZUY1tpx2RQ

Thanks for posting this band. I had not heard of them before, but will--without a doubt--check them out. Nice overall band sound, and the singer is great.

That song is quite different than their normal style....

SmxNl6oYmn0&feature=related

The Who

Naked Eye

(Live version of one of the finest Who tunes most fans have never heard. From the Isle of Wight show in 1970.)

0AIU-EHSnCc

Original, studio version.

1FSZhCKbQZc&feature=related

Now I'm a Farmer

(Another obscure rocker from the boys found on Odds & Sods.)

2Y-uiiAgcKc

Borgo I'm kinda digging that song in your sig. What's the deal? Is that Elton John and Ringo?

Good spotting, JL. That's a scene from Born to Boogie, a film released in 1972 about T-Rex, which was directed by Ringo Starr. As a major T-Rex fan, I had always wanted to see that movie, but outside of the U.K., it was tough to catch in the States. The DVD was released a few years ago, and I scored a copy the day it was available. I was not disappointed, as it had an extra concert and tons of behind the scenes stuff about Marc and the making, and re-mastering, of the film.

The song you like--Children of the Revolution--is taken from the movie, with a band that does include Ringo and Elton John, who were both friends and admirers of Bolan. It was released as a single, and appears on several T-Rex "best of" collections. Here's the single cut, as well as two other scenes from Born to Boogie, a smokin' version of Cadillac and Tutti Frutti:

d3C_G46m6ec

o3fJqpzBu-s

g8bWo0llCdk&feature=related

qDFgyXbXYAM

Archived