DRob to the Bengals for 4th & 5th rd picks?

Johnnybones

In the three years before last (when the Jets had no 4th or 5th round picks):

2006:

4 6 103 Brad Smith WR Missouri

4 20 117 Leon Washington RB Florida State

2005:

4 22 123 Kerry Rhodes DB Louisville

5 25 161 Andre Maddox DB North Carolina State

2004:

4 12 108 Jerricho Cotchery WR North Carolina State

4 36 132 Adrian Jones T Kansas

5 11 143 Erik Coleman DB Washington State

All in all, not a bad haul in these rounds. Rhodes, Cotchery, and Washington are three of the team's best players right now, and Brad Smith's a contributor. Coleman and Jones served as starters before departing. And really, Maddox was an injury problem, not a talent problem (that we know of).

I think it's likely that these picks are chips to trade up, but it doesn't look to me like it would be a bad thing if they were used right where they are.

Don't confuse the issue with facts :-) I love this deal! Cap room, a legit NT and flexibility in the draft, it doesn't get any better.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using the draft value chart, we traded D-Rob and a mid 3rd for Jenkins.

Jets 3rd (67 overall) 255 points

Jets 5th (133 overall) 39.5 points

294.5 total points

Bengals 4th (104 overall) 86 points

Bengals 5th (136 overall) 38 points

124 total points

294.5 - 124 = 170.5 = mid 3rd (84 overall)

Using the draft value chart, we traded D-Rob and a mid 3rd for Jenkins.

Jets 3rd (67 overall) 255 points

Jets 5th (133 overall) 39.5 points

294.5 total points

Bengals 4th (104 overall) 86 points

Bengals 5th (136 overall) 38 points

124 total points

294.5 - 124 = 170.5 = mid 3rd (84 overall)

Ignore this post. I use a draft board that don't rotate the picks between teams with the same record.

We most likely will receive nothing from Robertson, he still has to agree to a contract extension with the Bengals. With all the teams that showed interest in his services why wouldn't he just hold out and force the Jets to cut him. He would command more money as a free agent when more teams are competing for his services because they would give up nothing.

Well if we wanted him for more than just 2008 then he would have required a substantial contract extension. One could look at it as a salary dump from that perspective.

I just figured we would let him walk had we kept him..so Vilma was more of a "get something while you can" player than he was a salary dump.

I just figured we would let him walk had we kept him..so Vilma was more of a "get something while you can" player than he was a salary dump.

That would be the case if he was any good in the 3-4 to begin with. Then you can at least argue you get a whole season from an above average performing player. He's not even that.

What a joke

We'll be lucky to get training camp fodder for a serviceable player

Horrible, horrible deal imo

Pro Bowl DT's were just moved for 3rd and 5th rd picks...The fact we got a 4th & a 5th for this tub of **** is a miracle. forget the cap space it created.

Considering better DT's went for a 3rd and a 5th, this is a GREAT trade for a DT with a bum knee...

Jenkins,4th rd, 5th rd, pouha >>>>>>>>>>> Drob, 3rd rd, 5th rd, Pouha

Um eCurb - Thats BOTH bum knees (he has bone on bone on both).

Great pull, we allways do better in the 4th round each year anyway.

Keep it going Mike!

We most likely will receive nothing from Robertson, he still has to agree to a contract extension with the Bengals. With all the teams that showed interest in his services why wouldn't he just hold out and force the Jets to cut him. He would command more money as a free agent when more teams are competing for his services because they would give up nothing.

He cant count on that. Beside if he likes Lewis and the Bengals he can have his payday instantly. He's got knee issues, best for him to sign and move on with his life. After all, he stands to walk home with much more money and security. Cap hit and take home money do not in this case coincide (unless of course I am wrong ... but I think the cap hit represents money that he has already been paid in the form of a signing bonus; he is not owed much in actually salary in 2008). Also, I dont think this situation would have gottten this far if he hadnt at least indicated a willingness to sign with the Bengals.

Pro Bowl DT's were just moved for 3rd and 5th rd picks...The fact we got a 4th & a 5th for this tub of **** is a miracle. forget the cap space it created.

It's because Jet fans want a first round pick for their garbage but yet want to have to pay nothing for an All-Pro.

See yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa D-Rob another draft day blunder GONE.I was so tired of seeing this guy tossed aroundl ike a rag doll week after week. He was overpaid and he SUCKED!

s.gifJets DT Robertson not going to Cincy

Mar 03, 2008 | 8:02AM | report this Despite numerous indications that a deal would go down, the Cincinnati Bengals once again have failed to trade for a new defensive tackle.

FOXSports.com has learned that Dewayne Robertson of the New York Jets, who met with Bengals officials at team headquarters on Monday, will not be traded to Cincinnati.

Robertson has two years remaining on the rookie deal he signed as the No. 4 pick of the 2003 draft. He is set to earn $1.5 million in base salary this season.

Robertson, who spoke Sunday night to Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, has been a poor fit in the 3-4 defensive scheme New York installed when Eric Mangini became head coach in 2006. Robertson, 26, would likely be better suited to play in a 4-3 system as a penetrating-style defensive tackle.

The Bengals thought they had an agreement Friday with Detroit to acquire defensive tackle Shaun Rogers. But a contractual issue nullified the deal, leading to the Lions instead agreeing to send Rogers to Cleveland for a third-round draft pick and cornerback Leigh Bodden.

Robertson became expendable in New York when the Jets acquired defensive tackle Kris Jenkins in a Friday trade with Carolina. A source said the new Jets contract Jenkins signed includes $9.5 million in guaranteed money and a $4.5 million roster bonus due in March. The total value of the five-year contract is $30.25 million with $18 million coming in the first three seasons, the source said.

Media reports have stated Jenkins was set to earn $20 million in guaranteed money from the Jets.

I don't like that the deal is contingent upon them agreeing to a new contract. I hope the Bengals don't cheap out. Hopefully they are embarrassed enough about the Rogers debacle to shut up and pay DRob. I thought they were going to try to go 3-4, but the article claims DRob will be a 3-tech. Wouldn't make sense to get DRob if they were switching to the 3-4.

Told ya!

We got Jenkins, a 3-time pro bowler, for a 3 and a 5. What exactly were you expecting for DRob?

we gave up 2 first rounders anda 3rd to get the guy. tannyboy was the player personal guy when we drafted d-rob. this team cannot draft right now we are headed for cap hell

give a pyro more matches, he'll burn the place down

we gave up 2 first rounders anda 3rd to get the guy. tannyboy was the player personal guy when we drafted d-rob. this team cannot draft right now we are headed for cap hell

give a pyro more matches, he'll burn the place down

You are putting the DRob fiasco on Tanny? C'mon man that was all Bradway.

Archived