Gholston or McFadden

aec4

Gholston or McFadden, both available at 6... Who do you take?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Gholston or McFadden, both available at 6... Who do you take?

• McFadden
    • Gholston

I just scratch my head and wonder how you can pass McFadden... and I'm not McFadden's biggest fan like some on here. We need a gamebreaker.

We have 2 good RB's, if you want a game breaker get a WR. We need a Pass rusher and that is Gholston. I say F both of them and get Chris Long, but he will be gone. DMC is a want, not a need.

I would love to see McFadden as the Jets back for years to come, but at the same time, our Defense was so horrid last season it's really hard to pass up on Gholston who has the potential to be a Ware-Merriman type of 3-4 OLB with his speed, quickness, strength and toughness. We added Pace who is a solid pass rusher but with Pace AND Gholston rushing the QB from the outside, this Defense could be exciting and lethal with Rhodes and Revis in the secondary with Gholston, Harris, Pace, and Jenkins in the front 7.

McFadden may be the best athlete in the draft, I would love to draft him, but this Defense needs some energy and life, Gholston may be the answer.

My vote=Vernon.

We have 2 good RB's, if you want a game breaker get a WR. We need a Pass rusher and that is Gholston. I say F both of them and get Chris Long, but he will be gone. DMC is a want, not a need.

Lets see if you feel the same way in 3 years when Thomas Jones is breaking down and leon Washington is still not an EVERY DOWN back. Im all for Gholston, but Thomas Jones is a fill in, he's not the franchise back that this Jets team needs.

Lets see if you feel the same way in 3 years when Thomas Jones is breaking down and leon Washington is still not an EVERY DOWN back. Im all for Gholston, but Thomas Jones is a fill in, he's not the franchise back that this Jets team needs.

OK, thats 3 years. In 3 years we can sign an FA, draft another RB or trade for one. Right now TJ and Leon are doing the job. Lets worry about the RB situation when it arises, not now.

If Pace isn't going to rush the passer, we overpaid him....

Gamebreaker is a need.

We have 2 good RB's, if you want a game breaker get a WR.

I agree. That or one of these gamebreaking TE's.

Jones and Washington should be very productive behind the Jets revamped OL and FB, and I'd like to see a lot more of Washington on offense.

The defense needs serious help, especially in the pass rush department. I'm not ready to count on Calvin Pace or Bryan Thomas, but both of them will be a lot more effective with Gholston on the field, too.

Mcfadden... we already addreessed the D.. calvin Pace assures us we dont need gholsten but what we do need is a game breaker on offense..

And BTW..CAN SOMEONE TEL;L ME WHY THEY THINK GHOLSTEN IS A CANT MISS PROSOECT AND GUARANTEED... AND MCFADDEN IS A BUST??

It's just the nature of the beast. RBs have more bust potential taken this high, becuase they have the track records. OLBs are just becoming the new craze and don't have the handful of top 10 picks who turned out to be terrible busts.

THe bottom line is if we take McFadden than that means our FO think he's as talented as everyone says, in which case, we should be ecstatic. If we pass on him or trade down than there was something they didn't like and we should trust their judgement.

Mcfadden... we already addreessed the D.. calvin Pace assures us we dont need gholsten but what we do need is a game breaker on offense..

And BTW..CAN SOMEONE TEL;L ME WHY THEY THINK GHOLSTEN IS A CANT MISS PROSOECT AND GUARANTEED... AND MCFADDEN IS A BUST??

Well, I think your a really good Poster and I dont understand why you are in red for you R3P, I guess someone must really hate that you love McFadden because I never see you go out of your way to bother anybody.

I still see this Defense a good 4 players away from being ELITE, and I'm talking about Ravens-Bears ELITE. Right now we have Harris, Rhodes, Revis, and Jenkins who WE KNOW are Elite players, thats 4 Playmakers. Now we have players like Pace and Ellis who can be really good players for this 3-4 Defense. But we have 4 players who are big time ? marks in my eyes

Elam-Is he really the answer at safety next to Rhodes?

Coleman- Is he the beast that every 3-4 team needs at DE? He's no Seymour

Miller/Barrett/Coleman- We need an upgrade, BAD

Barton- Can he step his game up next to Harris as our #2 ILB in this 3-4 Defense?

Drafting Gholston would be AMAZING for this Defense, with Gholston and Pace from the outsides, QB's would be under pressure all game long, Bryan Thomas will never be a Gholston type of player

And Gholston has the size, speed, quickness, toughness and strength to be a Ware-Merriman type of OLB for this Mangini 3-4 Defense. Im all for drafting McFadden but Gholston could improve this Defense more than McFadden could improve our Offense

Miller-Elam-Rhodes-Revis

Gholston-Barton-Harris-Pace

Coleman-Jenkins-Ellis

That could be a top 5 Defense this year, without a doubt. Upgrade our #2 CB and ILB and we could have a top 3 Defense for years to come. With a solid ball control offense that can score 20-28 pts per game, we could be a SB contender. Call me crazy

DMC tore up the SEC for 3 whole years. Gholston gets his sacks in streaks against poor competition and couldn't be bothered at times during BCS champ game. It's DMC on my board, given the choice.

I'd be happy with either, but the need is worse on offense and DMC could be a very exciting player.

I still see this Defense a good 4 players away from being ELITE, and I'm talking about Ravens-Bears ELITE. Right now we have Harris, Rhodes, Revis, and Jenkins who WE KNOW are Elite players, thats 4 Playmakers.

i have real trouble counting the guy who ended last year at 390 and is expected to play in the 360's a 'playmaker'

DMC tore up the SEC for 3 whole years. Gholston gets his sacks in streaks against poor competition and couldn't be bothered at times during BCS champ game. It's DMC on my board, given the choice.

I'd be happy with either, but the need is worse on offense and DMC could be a very exciting player.

Gholston may not have racked up the big time stats in the championship game, but I dare you to watch the game again, and just focus on Gholston, I'm telling you... He pressured the QB ALL GAME and could have had about 4 sacks that game, hands down. Watch the game again, he was a beast without the big time stats.

But I agree with McFadden, the man killed the best conference for three years str8.

Razorbacks all time leading rusher

2 Time Heisman Trophy runner up

#2 SEC ALL TIME leading rusher

Those are more than just "Stats" Thats Elite performance

i have real trouble counting the guy who ended last year at 390 and is expected to play in the 360's a 'playmaker'

So you'd prefer your 300lb schoolboy bitch who's knees are about to give in there instead so he can get pushed around even more.:roll:

Jenkins is a massive upgrade for us and not sure if you know this but weighing 360 is not always a bad thing for a NT. It's not like he'll be running sprints out there.

So you'd prefer your 300lb schoolboy bitch who's knees are about to give in there instead so he can get pushed around even more.:roll:

Jenkins is a massive upgrade for us and not sure if you know this but weighing 360 is not always a bad thing for a NT. It's not like he'll be running sprints out there.

I agree, Wilfork is no Ed Reed but he's doing just fine in NE

being a nose tackle isn't about making plays. it's the fulcrum of the defense. tough to call NT playmakers. If they were playmakers they'd go higher in the draft. I have nothing personal against Jenkins but I'll believe he's a playmaker when he does it in a game in a G/w uniform, not before.

In the draft I think we'd take Gholston if available (which is what conuses me about the Pace signing). We still don't have an elite or even good pass rusher and Gholston (who has drawn comparisons to Shawn Merriman) could provide us with just that. Pass rush I have always said, is by far and away the most important aspect of any defence. We are desperately weak in that area and will never have an elite D if that is not addressed.

Other potential options may include:

Chris Long - Right now he'd be my favourite choice at 6, however I just know he won't be available so won't waste my time getting excited over him.

Darren McFadden - Wouldn't be against it if he's available, has amazing potential despite some obvious flaws in his game. Could provide an offensive playmaker we haven't had in years.

Leodis McKelvin - We need a 2nd CB and with McKelvin we could have one of the best CB tandems in the league for many years. I like him a lot more than Cromartie and again although I'd prefer Gholston, I wouldn't be against it.

Matt Ryan - I don't think we should take a QB but Ryan woould draw some interest. He's the best QB in this draft IMO and could be great at the next level. He certainly merits consideration because of our current QB situation but I personally am happy enough with either Chad or Clemens provided we put talent around them (which we seem to be doing)

Trade down. Aqquire more picks - This would be, by far and away my favourite option if we were able to get good value for the #6 pick. Unfortunately it's also the most unlikely scenario IMO because it's very tough to find a reasonable suiter. Dallas have been mentioned but I really doubt they're that high on McFadden.

In the draft I think we'd take Gholston if available (which is what conuses me about the Pace signing). We still don't have an elite or even good pass rusher and Gholston (who has drawn comparisons to Shawn Merriman) could provide us with just that. Pass rush I have always said, is by far and away the most important aspect of any defence. We are desperately weak in that area and will never have an elite D if that is not addressed.

Other potential options may include:

Chris Long - Right now he'd be my favourite choice at 6, however I just know he won't be available so won't waste my time getting excited over him.

Darren McFadden - Wouldn't be against it if he's available, has amazing potential despite some obvious flaws in his game. Could provide an offensive playmaker we haven't had in years.

Leodis McKelvin - We need a 2nd CB and with McKelvin we could have one of the best CB tandems in the league for many years. I like him a lot more than Cromartie and again although I'd prefer Gholston, I wouldn't be against it.

Matt Ryan - I don't think we should take a QB but Ryan woould draw some interest. He's the best QB in this draft IMO and could be great at the next level. He certainly merits consideration because of our current QB situation but I personally am happy enough with either Chad or Clemens provided we put talent around them (which we seem to be doing)

Trade down. Aqquire more picks - This would be, by far and away my favourite option if we were able to get good value for the #6 pick. Unfortunately it's also the most unlikely scenario IMO because it's very tough to find a reasonable suiter. Dallas have been mentioned but I really doubt they're that high on McFadden.

Great post, I agree with everything you said... Other than the drafting a QB in the first round and the trading down part. Solid post, good read

I would love to see McFadden as the Jets back for years to come, but at the same time, our Defense was so horrid last season it's really hard to pass up on Gholston who has the potential to be a Ware-Merriman type of 3-4 OLB with his speed, quickness, strength and toughness. We added Pace who is a solid pass rusher but with Pace AND Gholston rushing the QB from the outside, this Defense could be exciting and lethal with Rhodes and Revis in the secondary with Gholston, Harris, Pace, and Jenkins in the front 7.

McFadden may be the best athlete in the draft, I would love to draft him, but this Defense needs some energy and life, Gholston may be the answer.

My vote=Vernon.

And Gholston is a guarantee? From what I understand he disappears for stretches at a time, that doesn't sound like energy and life to me. Besides I think the offense actually desperately needs more energy and life than the defense does. After the bye week last year, they were one of the better defensive units in the league because they had already received the energy and life you're looking for... his name is David Harris.

Having said this, I think I'd be very optimistic about either of them and the idea that we will probably get one of them feels pretty damn good.

And Gholston is a guarantee? From what I understand he disappears for stretches at a time, that doesn't sound like energy and life to me. Besides I think the offense actually desperately needs more energy and life than the defense does. After the bye week last year, they were one of the better defensive units in the league because they had already received the energy and life you're looking for... his name is David Harris.

Having said this, I think I'd be very optimistic about either of them and the idea that we will probably get one of them feels pretty damn good.

One other thing about drafting a kid like McFadden is he catches the ball well out of the backfield, something that Thomas Jones really doesn't do (or is used for, from what I can see). Of course we have Leon Washington but the problem is that defenses are more aware when one of them is on the field, with McFadden, you get both of them on the field at the same time, in effect.

A running back that you can use in that capacity is a tremendous aid to any quarterback, especially a young one (Kellen) or one who is not really a downfield passer (Chad). I think that Darren McFadden has the chance to make either one of them better and like I said, this offense needs it. Watching that offense last year was like being constipated for three hours every Sunday.

One other thing about drafting a kid like McFadden is he catches the ball well out of the backfield, something that Thomas Jones really doesn't do (or is used for, from what I can see). Of course we have Leon Washington but the problem is that defenses are more aware when one of them is on the field, with McFadden, you get both of them on the field at the same time, in effect.

A running back that you can use in that capacity is a tremendous aid to any quarterback, especially a young one (Kellen) or one who is not really a downfield passer (Chad). I think that Darren McFadden has the chance to make either one of them better and like I said, this offense needs it. Watching that offense last year was like being constipated for three hours every Sunday.

I been screamingthe same thing but I guess you write better then me so maybe people wil start to change there mind..

I dont see gholsten as a sure thing.. and I think with the add of calvin pace we dont need gholsten

With the addition of Pace, Gholston is no longer an option, IMO. Bust DMC shouldn't be either, but unfortunatly some believe he is. The Jets would be wise in either trading down and selecting a WR or CB or taking one early at 6 if they cannot trade away the pick for players / several other picks.

Given the choice of these 2 I voted for Gholston. Given a free choice I'm with 124, trade down and grab a CB , WR or perhaps a young O lineman to develop who could possibly start next year.

Trading down is not a guarantee either.... Mcfadden is rated as the top prospect in the whole draft and the jets deserve to have that type of talent on there team

With the addition of Pace, Gholston is no longer an option, IMO. Bust DMC shouldn't be either, but unfortunatly some believe he is. The Jets would be wise in either trading down and selecting a WR or CB or taking one early at 6 if they cannot trade away the pick for players / several other picks.

Who are they trading with? I need to know before I agree with you. If you have someone specific in mind, what number picks they're getting back and who they're taking with those picks, I think I might agree with you, but I need bodies, not hypotheticals if we're going to actually discuss this, because your argument right now is actually bulletproof since it doesn't really exist.

Gholston.

We need a pass rush upgrade much more than we need a HB upgrade. Plus, McFadden's character is in question.. Gholston's isn't.

I do sympathize with the McFaddenites out there though, in that I'd love to see a big time offensive playmaker in green & white for a change. Don't think McFadden is the right one though.

Gholston is still an option, that would remove the defensive ghost that is Bryan Thomas from the line up and would be an immediate upgrade.

I would love to trade down like you said unfortunately it's just too hard to find a suiter that I can't it happening.

Archived