Result: Win

Josh Beckett 4.2 IP, 3 hits, 5 runs, 6 k's

New ERA: 9.64

Result: Loss

and Here is Chien-Ming Wang:

6 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 6 k's

New ERA: 1.38

Result: Win

How the hell did Beckett beat Wang on that list????? Halladay ok, Santana ok, but Beckett didn't really do anything, and still LOST!!!!!

Wang was screwed.

Most wins by any pitcher in the last two years, yet he came up small in October. Infact, he was down right putrid. I love the Wanger, but until he comes up in October, I have my doubts. There is no doubt he's a solid #2, but can he be a solid #1? He needs to perform in the big games and playoffs to be a solid #1, Ace.

I remember Jason Marquis got a shutout last year.

How is Jason Marquis not an ace???????????!!!!!!!???????

Look, Wang is a good pitcher, but he's not an elite one. One shutout in April doesn't change that.

Dude, seriously... Jason Marquis, why even mention such a bum? Chien-Ming Wang is light years ahead of Jason Marquis.

Look at his October (playoff) stats. Not pretty.

Check any other year for Josh Beckett other than last season. He's been inconsistent, and injury prone. Sure Wang isn't anywhere near Beckett, but Wang is an ace, for sure. 2003 Josh Beckett was eh during the regular season, but showed up just in time for the postseason. Beckett is an inconsistent Ace.

Yes, Jason Marquis ****ing sucks.

And he pitched a shutout last April.

See how much that means?

Wang has won the most games in the majors leagues the past two seasons, so theres no doubt the guy can win. Your point really has no basis, because it makes no sense. Wang can be a top pitcher in the league. Marquis wouldn't be a top pitcher in AAA.

Wins are a team stat.

Start 32 games with the Yankees offense and you'll win a ****load of games.

How many playoff wins for Wang?

You're right, Wins are a team stat, but the way the Yankees have been hitting so far this year, Wang has a **** load to do with it. He has allowed 2 runs in 2 games, and the Yankees have scored only 5 runs combine.

Most wins by any pitcher in the last two years, yet he came up small in October. Infact, he was down right putrid. I love the Wanger, but until he comes up in October, I have my doubts. There is no doubt he's a solid #2, but can he be a solid #1? He needs to perform in the big games and playoffs to be a solid #1, Ace.

In 2005, Wang started in the Division Series against the Angels. He put up a 1.35 ERA over 6.2 Innings. In 2006, he fared a little worse, putting up a 4.05 ERA, but he was the only Yankee pitcher to WIN a game in the ALDS that year. He still put in 6.2 innings, and with only 3 earned runs, that was a Quality Start.

So yeah, last year he got beat up a little. So did Joba. The Yankees just generally sucked ass in the playoffs the last two years, mostly because we've had to fight so damned hard just to make it there.

Wins are a team stat.

Start 32 games with the Yankees offense and you'll win a ****load of games.

How many playoff wins for Wang?

But the three playoff losses were on awful Yankee teams. As you noted, wins are a team stat.

Wang has won the most games in the majors leagues the past two seasons, so theres no doubt the guy can win. Your point really has no basis, because it makes no sense. Wang can be a top pitcher in the league. Marquis wouldn't be a top pitcher in AAA.

No, my point makes perfect sense. In your original post, you made no mention of how many games Wang has won in the last two seasons. You claimed that Wang was an ace because he pitched a shutout today and had a better day than Santana, Beckett, and Halladay.

It's one Sunday in April...who gives a ****? Watching Sunday Night Baseball right now, I guess Mark Buerhle is better than Beckett and Halladay too. And Justin Verlander....man, he is like Rick VandenHurk bad.

It's two games, man.

Don't convince me to start a "Ryan Dempster for CY Young" thread.

He's been winning games like that for the past two seasons. Wang is a very good pitcher, just he has had trouble in October. Thats all.

He's been winning games like that for the past two seasons. Wang is a very good pitcher, just he has had trouble in October. Thats all.

I don't buy into the notion that every team's #1 starter is an "ace". There are a few aces in baseball, and, IMO, Wang is not one of them.

Yeah, but come on... Jason Marquis?

Absurd isnt it? kinda like saying the rays are contenders in April, worrying that Ichiro had lost it in spring training, and

--wait for it...

Saying a spring training start means something. Remember early in the season last year when the Yankees were so far back? Funny...early in the season didn't mean anything then.

Wang is an Ace. The kind of Ace that leads his team to 1st round playoff losses. Which is what happened the past few seasons.

He is a good pitcher. But you can't put him in any situation and expect the best. Guys make lots of contact when he pitches. Sometimes that is bad.

In 2005, Wang started in the Division Series against the Angels. He put up a 1.35 ERA over 6.2 Innings. In 2006, he fared a little worse, putting up a 4.05 ERA, but he was the only Yankee pitcher to WIN a game in the ALDS that year. He still put in 6.2 innings, and with only 3 earned runs, that was a Quality Start.

So yeah, last year he got beat up a little. So did Joba. The Yankees just generally sucked ass in the playoffs the last two years, mostly because we've had to fight so damned hard just to make it there.

Joba didn't get beat up last year, he got bit up.

No, my point makes perfect sense. In your original post, you made no mention of how many games Wang has won in the last two seasons. You claimed that Wang was an ace because he pitched a shutout today and had a better day than Santana, Beckett, and Halladay.

It's one Sunday in April...who gives a ****? Watching Sunday Night Baseball right now, I guess Mark Buerhle is better than Beckett and Halladay too. And Justin Verlander....man, he is like Rick VandenHurk bad.

Mark Buehrle is far closer to Chien-Ming Wang then Jason Marquis. Chien-Ming Wang has performed well in the playoffs before. Uart made a post on how he's done in the postseason.

Absurd isnt it? kinda like saying the rays are contenders in April, worrying that Ichiro had lost it in spring training, and

--wait for it...

Saying a spring training start means something. Remember early in the season last year when the Yankees were so far back? Funny...early in the season didn't mean anything then.

Yeah, for Yankee fans, April baseball means alot to us. Having to play catch up for July, August, and September is not something we want to do anymore. We want to win now, and win often.

Chien Ming Wang is an ace. His regular season numbers say so. Sub 4.00 ERA in the AL two years in a row is no small task. How many other pitchers have done that of late? He has had three post season starts in his life. He beat the team that would go on to win the ALCS in his first, he lost the next two. I would hardly call three post season starts an adequate indicator of post season performance. It's not like he's A-Rod for god sakes.

when Wang wins 22 games this year and has an era under 3.5 in the al east I think everyone but Red Sock homers will agree that he is an ace.

Anyone who doesn't see it now should just stop watching baseball and get in to something they can understand.

Archived