Latest rumor Pennington to Ravens, Ryan to jets[Merged2X]

nylarry

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A rumor out of Baltimore 509297.jpg

By Dan Leberfeld

Posted Apr 22, 2008

There are rumors emanating from the Baltimore Ravens complex about a potential Chad Pennington trade.

The rumor is based on the Jets picking Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan with the sixth pick of the first round.

If the Jets pick Ryan, according to the rumor, which can't be substantiated, the Jets would then trade Pennington to the Ravens.

What the Jets would get in return from the Ravens is unclear. Perhaps a second round pick.

It's no secret that the Jets are in love with the BC quarterback, and if he is available at six, there is a very good chance they would take him.

The only problem with this scenario is where it would leave the Jets in 2008. If the team had Kellen Clemens and Ryan as their top two quarterbacks, they would be very inexperienced at the position.

Clemens looked very raw during his starting stint in 2007, and Ryan would obviously be a rookie. Considering how much money the Jets spent bringing in new players this off-season, it would stand to reason they wouldn't want a young, raw quarterback ruining their dreams for 2008. That is why many people have theorized that a seasoned veteran like Pennington is the best quarterback for the Jets in 2008. But if the Jets make this trade, they would obviously be theorizing that Clemens is going to improve significantly in 2008, or Ryan has the potential to succeed as a rookie starter

http://nyj.scout.com/2/748714.html

http://rotoworld.com/content/home_NFL.aspx

The Rams have reportedly exchanged trade ideas with the Jets, who hold the No. 6 overall pick in the draft.

New York may want to get in front of Atlanta to secure Matt Ryan. St. Louis is currently on the clock and in great position to make a move. The Rams could also try to sign Glenn Dorsey before Saturday. With Jake Long out of the picture, ESPN's John Clayton says Dorsey is the top player on their board.

M.Ryan would be a good pick, but trading to 2 giving up picks, and stuff is bad.

If they do this than they have no faith in Kellen, and Ryan better start.

DON'T DO IT!!!!!

I would love Matt Ryan.

So would I, but if we trade 6, 36, and a 4th we better get the second from Baltimore for Chad.

Then i'll be pretty happy.

I would stil rther get Ryan at 6, because I don't see Atl taking him when they have 2 2nd's in the first 5 picks of round 2.

Why would the Ravens want Chad P, he sucks. :confused:

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. But there's got to be something more to it. Maybe Chads's a cousin to somebody in the Ravens FO or something.

I love the trade with BAL part. If we get a 2nd for Chad I'd do a cartwheel. Drafting Ryan (and trading up to do so) makes no sense though. We would be giving up our 2nd and possibly a 4th to do so. My assumption is we would be going into this year with Kellen as the starter given the massive FA splash. If Kellen does well then we will have a situation where we have a top 2 draft pick sitting on the bench behind a successful Clemens. If they really think that poorly of Kellen that drafting Ryan is the way to go, then they'd have to keep Chad in as having Kellen start would be silly, and furthermore it makes no sense to throw away a season where we picked up so many vets with a rookie QB. This just makes no sense at any level IMO. If we trade up for say McFadden or Chris Long and trade Pennington to BAL for their 2nd then I'd be very happy.

Personally, to add to my post above, if the Chad rumor is true I say we stay put, pull the trigger on the trade with BAL, and have 2 2nd round picks to possibly nail Hardy AND Avril in the 2nd along with whoever we get in the first. With 2 second round picks I'd be all for drafting McFadden at 6 if we can.

Why would the Ravens want Chad P, he sucks. :confused:

Because he doesn't suck, its not that simple and plainly cut. Yes he isn't as good as he once was, but also did not fit into the organization in 2007 because the team needed more than a game manager at the Quarterback position. A player who could carry the team for a late game comeback if need be. Pennington clearly time and time again has proved that he cannot be that type of player.

In Baltimore, he would fit almost perfectly. You have a strong running game (Willis McGahee) and even though its aging, a very good defense led by Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Terrell Suggs, Ed Reed and Chris McAlister. Pennington would lead the 2008 Ravens to the playoffs, that is for certain.

If the Jets believe that much in Matt Ryan that they want to move up to get him I say go do it and they have my full blessings, especially if the rumor of Pennington to Baltimore if the Jets get Ryan is true. In that case, the Jets could get back a 2nd round or 3rd round pick from the Ravens for Pennington's services. It in the end, wouldn't cost that much. They could also use 2009 draft picks in the deal.

Baltimore has proven they can win with a game manager. Chad P might actually be a good fit in a baltimore type team. Do they still have a great D and a ball control type O like they did in the early 00's? Chad could succeed on a team like that, where he isn't expected to do anything.

Personally, to add to my post above, if the Chad rumor is true I say we stay put, pull the trigger on the trade with BAL, and have 2 2nd round picks to possibly nail Hardy AND Avril in the 2nd along with whoever we get in the first. With 2 second round picks I'd be all for drafting McFadden at 6 if we can.

No thanks on Avril, Booz.

But hey, consider this to add on to your previous post.

Say that BOTH rumors are true and that the Jets would give say a 2nd and 4th from this years draft to move up and take Matt Ryan. If that were to happen, and then they turn around and trade Pennington for a 2nd, the Jets are really only giving up a 4th round pick, of which they have TWO of, for the rights of Matt Ryan.

Really, its a no brainer in my eyes. Now of course it would be better to grab Ryan at 6 and have two 2nd rounders, but if we want Ryan, we are most likely going to have to jump Atlanta UNLESS St.Louis passes on Glenn Dorsey. Then its 50/50 in Atlanta as to which way they will go.

Say that BOTH rumors are true and that the Jets would give say a 2nd and 4th from this years draft to move up and take Matt Ryan. If that were to happen, and then they turn around and trade Pennington for a 2nd, the Jets are really only giving up a 4th round pick, of which they have TWO of, for the rights of Matt Ryan.

Really, its a no brainer in my eyes. Now of course it would be better to grab Ryan at 6 and have two 2nd rounders, but if we want Ryan, we are most likely going to have to jump Atlanta UNLESS St.Louis passes on Glenn Dorsey. Then its 50/50 in Atlanta as to which way they will go.

I agree. Look if the Jets want a player and I don't care who that player is they need to go and get him. Especially if they can turn around and get something in return like in this scenerio. You miss out on the Brett Favre's of the world when you sit back and think about what you are giving up. I love what the Jets did last year in getting Reveis and Harris. That is the way you should draft every year.

Agreed RSJ. Who gives a crap if you end up with only three or four selections if two or three of those become All-Pro's? I'd rather have two or three All-Pro's than one good player and a bunch of average players. Thats just my view.

I actually was thinking more of Crable and just couldn't get the name in my head. But at any rate, if we are drafting Ryan, why in thw orld did we make so many FA moves? Look, byt the time Ryan is truly productive and a franchise QB Faneca and Jenkins will be on a sharp decline, Richardson will be long gone and retired, and Woody will probably be gone as well (no biggie with him). We will have paid top dollar for 2 guys that will basically be playing a role of filling in needs for a team that is suffering through a developing QB. Senseless. Absolutely senseless.

I think we should trade Chad, stay at 6, draft BPA regardless of who is there at 6 and hopefully have w2 draft picks in round 2 (although I don't think Chad is worth even close to a 2nd).

I actually was thinking more of Crable and just couldn't get the name in my head. But at any rate, if we are drafting Ryan, why in thw orld did we make so many FA moves? Look, byt the time Ryan is truly productive and a franchise QB Faneca and Jenkins will be on a sharp decline, Richardson will be long gone and retired, and Woody will probably be gone as well (no biggie with him). We will have paid top dollar for 2 guys that will basically be playing a role of filling in needs for a team that is suffering through a developing QB. Senseless. Absolutely senseless.

I think we should trade Chad, stay at 6, draft BPA regardless of who is there at 6 and hopefully have w2 draft picks in round 2 (although I don't think Chad is worth even close to a 2nd).

The free agent moves we made improve our running game and our run defense. If both improve all you will need is a QB who manages the game which is all CP was ever going to do anyway with far less upside. Clemens is a lost cause imo who hopefully blossoms - but looked horrible last year. With a good running game and defense Big Ben won as a rookie. All we will be asking him to do is manage the game.

The thing is you just never know how quickly a player is going to develop. The big thing with me is the argument you just presented Booz. When it comes down to it, do you really believe Kellen Clemens or Chad Pennington will do better than Matt Ryan? Do you honestly believe that they will make a Super Bowl or Postseason run difference? I don't. I think Ryan is just as ready as Clemens is right now and Pennington at 32 is on the decline. Maybe he could lead us to a 10-6 record, but I'm tired of playoff apperances. Give the job to Ryan from the get go in either 2008 or 2009, depending if you keep Pennington around for 2008.

The free agent moves we made improve our running game and our run defense. If both improve all you will need is a QB who manages the game which is all CP was ever going to do anyway with far less upside. Clemens is a lost cause imo who hopefully blossoms - but looked horrible last year. With a good running game and defense Big Ben won as a rookie. All we will be asking him to do is manage the game.

Ben Roethlisberger was pretty horrible as a rookie. He managed games and when he needed to he generally played terribly. Thankfully for him he was facing Chad who couldn't muster more than 3 points against them, otherwise Ben was trying to hand that game to us. PIT also had a phenominal D and an incredible running game. Even with our solid additions, we don't have either.

The thing is you just never know how quickly a player is going to develop. The big thing with me is the argument you just presented Booz. When it comes down to it, do you really believe Kellen Clemens or Chad Pennington will do better than Matt Ryan? Do you honestly believe that they will make a Super Bowl or Postseason run difference? I don't. I think Ryan is just as ready as Clemens is right now and Pennington at 32 is on the decline. Maybe he could lead us to a 10-6 record, but I'm tired of playoff apperances. Give the job to Ryan from the get go in either 2008 or 2009, depending if you keep Pennington around for 2008.

Let's get one thing straight-Matt Ryan isn't even close to the likes of Manning/Brady/Palmer. He's a decent Qb that is benefiting from a very weak QB class. If Clemens is truly as bad as this move would dictate, then we had no business spending a boatload of money on players that will have no part in our finally being a contender assuming Ryan is the type of QB to pin those hopes on. If we intended all along to draft a QB, then we should have made every effort to improve all other needs through the drafts. Trade DRob, Pennington, maybe even Ellis and stockpile draft picks so that we have young talent all around that blossoms with Ryan. By the time Ryan reaches his potential, our needs will be-----you guessed it------OG, NT, RT, and RB. Meanwhile all the other positions that will be needs by then will be deteriorating such as Ellis, Coleman, Thomas, ILB next to Harris, a 2nd CB, and a SS. We'll be playing catch up the whole time.

I'm not in love with Ryan either, there's some serious bust potential there, but Chad is past his prime after 2 shoulder surgeries and killing our cap room. Plus we'd be getting a 2nd round pick in return. Everyone knows the Ravens are DYING for a QB so they might be willing to give up a little more than they should for Chad.

Then we'd at least have 2 young QBs and if 1 pans out, well that's all we need.

Mayock is especially sold on Ryan, who led Boston College to an 11-3 record as a senior and threw for 249 yards and three TDs in a 24-21 victory over Michigan State in the Champs Sports Bowl.

"I think Matt Ryan is a true franchise quarterback," Mayock said. "I have a dual impression [of him]. First is what you can see on tape. You see a quarterback with a very good arm, good feet, an understanding of the position and a player who knows when and where to throw the football.

"What you don't see -- which I think may be more important today, especially with the dollars spent at the top end of the draft -- is a work ethic that parallels that of Peyton Manning and a toughness and leadership that very few quarterbacks have."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/17961704.html

A lot of scouts seem to feel differently than a lot of people on this board. Yes he has accuracy problems with his deep ball and he is a bit of a gunslinger - but he also has the frame to add 10 pounds without losing any quickness according to most scouts.

Not very happy about this if it's true, this front office just took a QB that they evaluated and believed could be the future of the franchise. Now they want a do over and to move up and take a QB at 2, if it's true they sucked in their evaluation of Clemens and now we are going to give up a 1st,2nd and 4th for another QB they have evaluated and think could be a franchise guy. I don't exactly have much faith in their Judgment. I'm still not even sold on the fact that Clemens can't turn it around this year behind a good line and that's a lot to give up when we have multiple needs on this team. I would take him in a second at 6 though if the bit about Pennington is true. We need to get rid of him, his noddle arm and his bloated salary, bad.

Mayock's right RSJ. Ryan does have all the tools. Some of his "haters" will argue the 19 interceptions mark (9 or 10 of which were thrown in two games) and that he played in the Big East. Yeah, that works when you're evaluating teams for the BCS, not for prospects in the NFL, sorry. If that were the case, Joe Flacco would be a boarderline 7th rounder.

Matt Ryan has what it takes and hopefully Tangini feels the same.

As GangGreen said, if the worst case scenario is two young QB's and one pans out, thats fine, because we just need one. Best case is both Clemens and Ryan become good players and we have a situation like San Diego used to and Cleveland currently does have.

There is an old adage

Offense sells tickets

Defense wins championships

If the Jets can't get a dominant defensive player then they should trade the pick.

I am about as sold on Ryan as I am Clemens. Not much.

I wouldn't be surprised though if Chad is dealt. I thought if they got a third they should take it and run. If this rumor is true then the Jets should lock Ozzie Newsome in a room and let him out only after the deal is done.

And of course once Chad goes to the Ravens he will probably get them to the playoffs this year.

Archived