Scale it back?

Gainzo

What does everyone think of Kraft's comments?

As for the team's first-round draft choice, Tennessee linebacker Jerod Mayo, Kraft had a favorable first impression.

"He seems like a wonderful young man and someone who can fit in our system well," said Kraft. "Bill had told me his objective here was to get younger and faster on defense, and it looks like that's what has been done."

The 10th overall selection in the draft, Mayo could receive a contract with as much as $13 million in bonuses and guarantees. The rising pay scale for top-10 picks remains a concern among owners.

"That's one of the inefficiencies in the system," Kraft said. "It's kind of nuts that you pay draft picks in the top 10 as if they were free agent veterans on their second contract and have been to a Pro Bowl.

"We've suggested to the Labor Committee and the commissioner that we scale that back and take that money and give it to the veterans. We're still going to spend the money, [but] we think it's a misallocation of resources and actually can cause problems in your locker room when a young guy who has never played a down is getting paid more than some of your vested veterans.

"On the other hand, we don't plan to be picking in the top 10, unless it's through doing good trades. Maybe it's good we let it continue that way for our competition."

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2008/04/30/kraft_buys_into_insurance_business/

I completely agree. It's ridiculous that unproven players are making more guaranteed money than guys who have proven that they can perform in the NFL.

I agree with the old man, J. Long is the highest paid o-line man in the entire NFL and he hasnt played a single down for Miami yet. It's ridiculous, and can't feel good if you're a veteran O lineman.

I agree except for this part:

"On the other hand, we don't plan to be picking in the top 10, unless it's through doing good trades. Maybe it's good we let it continue that way for our competition."

Arrogant prick, just like BB :)

I agree that there will probably have to be some kind of rookie scale or cap, but if you play devil's advocate you have to consider one important fact. These guys aren't picking their team. They are basically forced to play for whoever picks them. It's not exactly a free market and considering the way the NFL works I would often prefer the rookie to almost any vet coming into his second contract. The owners are going to have to give up some of those franchise/RFA rights if they want to get a rookie scale.

That's why I didn't bold that part :)

In a league where guaranteed money is the only thing that veterans can rely on if they get hurt or cut giving rookies that kind of coin is crazy.

They should make it a mandatory 1 year deal then they have to prove what they're worth. Give some these kids an incentive to bust their a$$ their rookie season.

Revis probably would have preferred that. One year deals do not exactly help the whole parity principle behind ****ty teams getting the number one pick.

Why should a 30 year old Vet with no more upside make more than a 21 year old rookie with the sky as his limit?

Youth is expensive guys.

Because he has proven what he is and is getting paid accordingly. The rookie might come in and produce half of what that 30 year old vet has.

Arrogant? Yes, but I think for a different reason. I believe he is implying that the Patriots will continue to cheat and therefore anticipates being penalized their 1st round pick every year. :)

The risk for a young player would not ne worth the reward. It would be worse than being franchised.

Lets say youre a promising young player with your whole NFL career is ahead of you and you have to play for a measily contract for one season to prove yourself. What happens if said player is injured? Severely? His stock pluments and he can say good bye to any lucrative contract.

It may force NCAA players to go where the money is. Maybe the CFL?

Arrogant? Yes, but I think for a different reason. I believe he is implying that the Patriots will continue to cheat and therefore anticipates being penalized their 1st round pick every year. :)

The Pats cant cheat anymore. Ratzo Mangini will run to Goodell and squeal.

stool.jpg

The Pats cant cheat anymore. Ratzo Mangini will run to Goodell and squeal.

stool.jpg

The risk for a young player would not ne worth the reward. It would be worse than being franchised.

Lets say youre a promising young player with your whole NFL career is ahead of you and you have to play for a measily contract for one season to prove yourself. What happens if said player is injured? Severely? His stock pluments and he can say good bye to any lucrative contract.

It may force NCAA players to go where the money is. Maybe the CFL?

Tough $hit then I say. On the other hand you have a Blair Thomas or Robert Edwards who you do pay decent money only to have them blow up their knees and there you are. Free agent players don't get paid the big bucks unless they earn it (or go to the Jets) and neither should the rookies.

It would be a very wise move to give the veterans who are proven to succeed more money.

Sorry ecurb and all who disagree with Gainzo, Kraft and others, the money should be going to the proven veterans like Kerry Rhodes, Alan Faneca and Mike Nugent instead of youngsters who have proven nothing. Should they get millions? Sure, I guess, but not the type of money they're getting. It is ridiculous to have the highest paid Offensive Lineman in the NFL to have never played a down in the league. Ridiculous.

PAY THE VETS.

Tough $hit then I say. On the other hand you have a Blair Thomas or Robert Edwards who you do pay decent money only to have them blow up their knees and there you are. Free agent players don't get paid the big bucks unless they earn it (or go to the Jets) and neither should the rookies.

Just a slight correction...Edwards blew up his knee, Blair Thomas just plain sucked :P

I think folks are reading too much into what Kraft said. He was advocating a policy change that makes sense for the league, even though at the moment the current situation actually favors his team. He ended the the statement with a light hearted comment to that effect.

Kraft also is one of the leagues biggest proponents of measures that allow small market teams (such as the Bills) to compete on equal footing with large market teams, even thought the Pats are a large market team. (Some of this stems from his dislike for the way the Yankees in baseball are able to bully small market teams.)

Often you have folks advocating positions that would directly benefit their team right now, regardless of the effect on the league as a whole, when an owner advocates a position that would not benefit his team but would help the league as a whole it should be noted, because it adds credibility to the argument.

Both Kraft and Polian recognize that paying huge money to the top picks hurts the overall competition of the game. If the Dolphins number one pick this years winds up being a total bust that get cut during training not only did the team waste a pick they will have also have a huge salary cap issue weighing them down. If the Giants first round pick winds up being a total bust, they will have wasted a pick, but will not have the salary cap issue. But it is relevant to note that as long as their respective QBs remain healthy, both Kraft and Polians team actually benefit from the status quo.

It would be a very wise move to give the veterans who are proven to succeed more money.

Sorry ecurb and all who disagree with Gainzo, Kraft and others, the money should be going to the proven veterans like Kerry Rhodes, Alan Faneca and Mike Nugent instead of youngsters who have proven nothing. Should they get millions? Sure, I guess, but not the type of money they're getting. It is ridiculous to have the highest paid Offensive Lineman in the NFL to have never played a down in the league. Ridiculous.

PAY THE VETS.

I love how Nugent was lumped in with the group of vets that deserve to be paid. LOL!!!

I think the biggest problem i have with it all is certain teams willing to overpay for unproven talent. That's basically what screwed the system in place to begin with. Too many teams are willing to give big payday's to guys that haven't proven themselves. They could lower the rookie pool, but there will still be teams trying to find loopholes and such. Jerry Jones comes to mind.

Hell, Kraft says all this, but if he needed a certain position player, and thought the draftpick would put his team over the top watch his checkbook open up with the quickness.....

PAY THE VETS.

:confused0058:

They should make it a mandatory 1 year deal then they have to prove what they're worth. Give some these kids an incentive to bust their a$$ their rookie season.

That would work for most positions, but what about a position like QB where it may take 2-3 years to reach his potential worth? Or even start a game for that matter.

That would work for most positions, but what about a position like QB where it may take 2-3 years to reach his potential worth? Or even start a game for that matter.

Well then the money will be waiting for them 2-3 years down the road. The idea is to keep working hard and the money will come.

I agree with the old man, J. Long is the highest paid o-line man in the entire NFL and he hasnt played a single down for Miami yet. It's ridiculous, and can't feel good if you're a veteran O lineman.

This is a Job and a Sport. People get compensated for work. Players Salaries are always going to go up. Vets are always going to "have a problem" with it, yet these current vets were getting better pay when they were beginners than what the Vets back then were making.

So what I always say to situations like this is So What! When Jake Long is 10 years in there's going to be some rookie hotshot that hasnt played a down in the NFL thats going to get a contract that J. Long has never seen in his famous rich life.

Archived