No Death Penalty for kids who killed Sean Taylor - ESPN.com

And THIS is what is wrong with this country. I'm sorry, but if you kill someone you deserve to die yourself. You pulled the trigger on the shot that he died from? Good for you, now you will die too. Costs way too much to keep the amount of people in jail and it would be better off if we killed them. **** them.

Death penalty off the table for suspects in killing of Redskins' Taylor

ESPN.com news services

The four men who are charged with the first-degree murder and armed burglary of former Redskins star Sean Taylor won't face the death penalty, according to multiple media reports.

Prosecutors in the case have waived the death penalty for Jason Scott Mitchell, Eric Rivera Jr., Venjah Hunte and Charles Wardlow, the Fort Myers News Press and the Naples Daily News reported Sunday night.

All four men, if convicted, face life in prison.

Hunte's lawyer Michael Hornung said he learned of the decision by prosecutors late Friday.

"They would have had to show it was premeditated," Hornung said. "I believe that it's appropriate that they waive the death penalty."

The current theory of the crime, that Rivera was the alleged shooter, likely prevented prosecutors from seeking the death penalty since Rivera was a minor at the time of the shooting.

"The fact that the prosecution won't seek the death penalty has been a foregone conclusion," Taylor family spokesman Richard Sharpstein told the Fort Myers News Press. "The family is still supporting the prosecutors and looking for justice to be done."

Taylor, an All-Pro safety, was shot during a botched robbery attempt at his Miami home in November. He died a day later from wounds suffered during the break-in.

The trial for all four defendants is scheduled to begin Aug. 25.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

If you break into someone's home in the middle of the night and you are carrying a firearm, how is that not pre-meditated?

There is a difference between a premeditated crime and premeditated murder. It just means they didn't break in there planning to kill him. Or at least that the prosecutor didn't think he could prove it.

There is a difference between a premeditated crime and premeditated murder. It just means they didn't break in there planning to kill him. Or at least that the prosecutor didn't think he could prove it.

I can see that point from a legal standpoint , but having a loaded gun would indicate to me that you are prepared to shoot someone if trouble breaks out. Apart from that, breaking into a person house violates them almost almost as much as physically assaulting them and deserves severe punishment. I am fully in favor of someone killing an intruder in their house, I could do it and sleep like a baby.

I can see that point from a legal standpoint , but having a loaded gun would indicate to me that you are prepared to shoot someone if trouble breaks out. Apart from that, breaking into a person house violates them almost almost as much as physically assaulting them and deserves severe punishment. I am fully in favor of someone killing an intruder in their house, I could do it and sleep like a baby.

That's the point of felony murder. A killing is murder if it occurs during the commission of a felony-in this case the home invasion. It is how they can pin a murder charge on the ones that did not pull the trigger. In this case, the trigger man is apparently a minor so they aren't seeking the death penalty. Just having a loaded gun does not automatically equate to premeditation for killing somebody. Particularly for the men that didn't shoot.

OTOH, felony murder does not generally rise to be a capital crime and they aren't going to seek the death penalty for it. It also can lead to some pretty uneven justice. For example, the getaway driver thinks his accomplice is unarmed, but instead, while the driver waits outside in the car, the accomplice kills people during a bank robbery. They also have tried using it for people that had heart failure during crimes. Can't remember if those were successful.

DNA, for the most part, if you kill an intruder in your house you won't have to worry about the law, whether you can sleep like a baby or not.

. Costs way too much to keep the amount of people in jail and it would be better off if we killed them. **** them.

Oddly enough, it actually costs more to kill them than it cost to lock 'em up for life. Messed up, huh?

Google it if you don't believe me. Here's one link: http://www.amnestyusa.org/facts-and-figures/cost-of-the-death-penalty/page.do?id=1101084&n1=3&n2=28&n3=99

(Of course, that one is from Amnesty, but there's many others out there.)

Personally, I'm quite happy with the knowledge that those bastards will rot in jail for the rest of their missrable lives. Depending on what prison they end up in, they may soon wish they had been killed.

Oddly enough, it actually costs more to kill them than it cost to lock 'em up for life. Messed up, huh?

Google it if you don't believe me. Here's one link: http://www.amnestyusa.org/facts-and-figures/cost-of-the-death-penalty/page.do?id=1101084&n1=3&n2=28&n3=99

(Of course, that one is from Amnesty, but there's many others out there.)

Personally, I'm quite happy with the knowledge that those bastards will rot in jail for the rest of their missrable lives. Depending on what prison they end up in, they may soon wish they had been killed.

That's true. Of course it's only because of the massive fail safes and never ending appeals allowed in capital cases. OTOH, when you hear about how many people away for life are being cleared through that DNA project maybe that's not a bad thing.

It shouldn't have to be proved that they were trying to break in and kill him or not. The facts are that he did kill him and therefore deserves to die for doing so.

The only question that needed to be answered is, if the Guy who killed the person didn`t break into the other guys house in the first place ,would the dead person most likely still be alive and when the answer comes back yes ,then so should a Death Penalty Verdict....

didn't read the thread, but a death sentence in this country costs more than a life sentence. Also it doesn't prevent or deter crime at all. Statistics have actually shown crimes go up after an execution.

But it shouldn't cost more. Stand them up, shoot them in the head and bury them. That can't cost more than a lifetime sentence in jail, starting when you're around 18 years old. No way.

I really don't understand why anybody would support capital punishment?

It is cheaper to keep the prisoner in jail for life than to execute him...

80% of death penalties are handed out in the south.... The South still has the most murders...

We are the only 1st world country that still executes our citizens...

I think we should just eliminate the death penalty as a country... Should Son of Sam get off easier than these kids just bc he killed people in NYC???

It shouldn't have to be proved that they were trying to break in and kill him or not. The facts are that he did kill him and therefore deserves to die for doing so.

The law is more complicated than that and it should be. If the prosecution wants to put somebody to death than they are the ones with the burden of proof, and they must prove 'malice aforethought' and clear pre-meditation.

And FWIW I think life in prison is a far worse punishment than death. They have to live with what they did for many more decades. Death seems like an easy way out IMO.

The law is more complicated than that and it should be. If the prosecution wants to put somebody to death than they are the ones with the burden of proof, and they must prove 'malice aforethought' and clear pre-meditation.

And FWIW I think life in prison is a far worse punishment than death. They have to live with what they did for many more decades. Death seems like an easy way out IMO.

Exactly

But it shouldn't cost more. Stand them up, shoot them in the head and bury them. That can't cost more than a lifetime sentence in jail, starting when you're around 18 years old. No way.

If you like that type of justice system you could move to Saudi Arabia or Iran. Or Texas.

Fortunately in the United States prosecutors have the burden of proof and executing people is very time-consuming and costly, as it should be.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html

According to this link, in 2007 88% of the world's executions took place in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, and the United States.

Isn't that some great company.

Yep. Keep looking down on Iran. Yep, keep doing it. China's horrible too. Yep. Go America.

There is no reason that the ******* who did this shouldn't be killed. None. You can pull up your crap laws and numbers all you want but if this was your brother, son, whatever, you'd be thinking differently. I, thankfully, think that if you kill someone you deserve it right back. Simple as that.

But okay Mason AMERICA #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/

Yep. Keep looking down on Iran. Yep, keep doing it. China's horrible too. Yep. Go America.

There is no reason that the ******* who did this shouldn't be killed. None. You can pull up your crap laws and numbers all you want but if this was your brother, son, whatever, you'd be thinking differently. I, thankfully, think that if you kill someone you deserve it right back. Simple as that.

Do you realize that they execute people in Iran if they are gay?

Do you also realize that as Mason and others have stated the burden of proof is on the prosecution to prove it was premeditated murder?

Would you care so much of this was just your run of the mill botched robbery and not Sean Taylor?

These punks are going to spend the rest of their lives in prison.

Would you rather spend the rest of your life in jail or be killed?? Just asking, I know I sure as hell would rather have it ended than go through with so many years of torture.

I do care when I hear of people getting off with life sentences than death. This isn't Al Queda, people care that they die. These people arn't having thoughts of 72 or whatever some odd virgins. They want to live. Taking their life away is the best punishment you can do to a person. If they wanted to die, they would've off'd themselves already because they know at best case scenario they're headed for life in jail.

Again, it doesn't matter if its premediated. If you kill someone and you're shooting at them, you deserve to die.

Would you rather spend the rest of your life in jail or be killed?? Just asking, I know I sure as hell would rather have it ended than go through with so many years of torture.

Dead.

I'd rather be dead than make $3 cents an hour, eat garbage meals, listen to bull**** prison guards and get banged up the ass the rest of my life.

It doesn't have anything to do with me thinking America is so much better than anybody else, hell you know me I'm a liberal America-basher!

But seriously it has more to do with me thinking the U.S. should be better than that. Iran isn't the monster some in this country make it out to be, but they are still very much a theocracy and they execute gay people and minors among others. China on the other hand, is very much the monster some make it out to be if not more so.

And like I said before, these are young guys who will be in jail for the rest of their lives. That could mean another 40, 50, 60 years. I think them being in jail for that long is a lot worse punishment than just being put to death.

I don't want to get any further into the death penalty discussion or America **** Yeah!, but I want to state on the record that I do not for one second believe that any of these kids will face 40, 50 or 60 years. I'm betting that most of them are out in under twenty. More likely 8 or 12. Also, whatever the sentence, it is nowhere near as bad as being put to death. If it was then you guys wouldn't be yapping about the death penalty.

If you like that type of justice system you could move to Saudi Arabia or Iran. Or Texas.

Fortunately in the United States prosecutors have the burden of proof and executing people is very time-consuming and costly, as it should be.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0777460.html

According to this link, in 2007 88% of the world's executions took place in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, China, and the United States.

Isn't that some great company.

What a slanted stat put out there to include the USA as some hideous, barbaric country.

Countries with the Most Confirmed Executions in 2007

China(470)

Iran (317)

Saudi Arabia (143)

Pakistan (135)

United States (42)

Now consider that there are some 2 million people in US prisons - far and away the most on the planet. Those 42 represent 0.002% of those criminals.

China, with the 2nd-most imprisoned criminals, has about 1.5 million (in their 1.3 billion person population). Their execution rate (of criminals) is 0.10%, or about 50x that of the USA's rate.

What a slanted stat put out there to include the USA as some hideous, barbaric country.

Countries with the Most Confirmed Executions in 2007

China(470)

Iran (317)

Saudi Arabia (143)

Pakistan (135)

United States (42)

Now consider that there are some 2 million people in US prisons - far and away the most on the planet. Those 42 represent 0.002% of those criminals.

China, with the 2nd-most imprisoned criminals, has about 1.5 million (in their 1.3 billion person population). Their execution rate (of criminals) is 0.10%, or about 50x that of the USA's rate.

You methodology is severely flawed. To say that the USA's execution rate is low because our imprisonment rate is sky high is insane. The USA has the highest rate of imprisonment of any western nation and is higher than most dictatorships.

The vast majority of people in prison are in jail because they are addicts whose crime was possession.

hahaha. the judge probably wanted to know about this kid's 'feelings' and 'emotions' rather than punish him for cold blooded killing. This country should be called the United FRANCE of America thanks to these judges

You methodology is severely flawed. To say that the USA's execution rate is low because our imprisonment rate is sky high is insane. The USA has the highest rate of imprisonment of any western nation and is higher than most dictatorships.

The vast majority of people in prison are in jail because they are addicts whose crime was possession.

My methodology? I read a statement that suggested we significantly added to only a handful of countries that comprised 88% of the world's executions, which was intellectually dishonest in its presentation. More to the point: there was no distinction that within that group of 5, that there was any great disparity; one reads the statement and can readily assume that the 5 are equal contributors to this "problem" when that is hardly the case.

I never suggested our execution rate was high or low. It was only an objection to lumping us in with a country that executes 10x the people we do, and presenting it as though it was an equal number. Because taking out the USA, that figure is no less staggering to say the top 4 comprise 85% of the world's executions. Of course that wasn't in there because it doesn't make the USA look bad. Saying the USA was among a group of 5 that comprise 88% is much more effective at making us look like evil bloodthirsty monsters, even if it is intellectually dishonest.

And talk about flawed methodology. We have a high imprisonment rate because we have a high crime rate and police actually arrest people. If it is illegal to possess narcotics, and it is punishable by imprisonment, then you can avoid prison for these crimes by not committing them.

I'm not going to get into a debate about how other countries are more civilized than we are because we flick the switch instead of automatically giving each child rapist-plus-murderer free room & board & therapy & access to cable tv and other forms of entertainment...and a salary (low as it is) as employees of the state. If you believe that, then that is certainly your prerogative. But it's been almost 50 years since anyone was executed in the USA for any crime other than murder and further, not everyone believes that if all of Europe does something then it must therefore be right. That is equally applied here; just because we do or do not do something, that doesn't make it automatically right or wrong either.

Or maybe I just don't give a crap whether or not brutal convicted murderers are treated with ample hospitality, civility, and entertainment for several decades.

Exactly right. Bottom line is that Taylor is dead and these useless POS are still alive. Just fry their asses.

I don't want to get any further into the death penalty discussion or America **** Yeah!, but I want to state on the record that I do not for one second believe that any of these kids will face 40, 50 or 60 years. I'm betting that most of them are out in under twenty. More likely 8 or 12. Also, whatever the sentence, it is nowhere near as bad as being put to death. If it was then you guys wouldn't be yapping about the death penalty.

BINGO !!! That's the freaking problem. These POS will be out in 8-20 years and guess what? Sean Taylor will STILL be dead. His family will STILL be mourning him. Once out on the street these useless POS will have semi celebrity status amonst their peers, believe me.

Archived