Willie Randolph Fired at 3:11 AM

MagicBizkit87

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just like the way they handled the Church situation, the Mets front office screwed this up as bad as they possibly could have. Why not fire him Monday morning, and not make Willie, Peterson & Nieto make the 6 hour flight, WIN a game, then fire them and make them make the 6 hour flight back.

I've lost alot of respect for Omar here.

To put it plain and simple, Omar is a friggin moron.

Here is why. If the Mets had pulled the trigger even Sunday after splitting their doubleheader with the Rangers I don't think anyone would have said anything about this. I mean let's face it, Willie lost this team after their collapse in September. He had a chance to get it straight and get them back on track, even brought in arguably one of the best pitchers in the game in Santana it just didn't work. The team wasn't responding and when that happens you have to make a change.

The fact that Omar and the Mets did this last night after flying out to the West Coast, winning against the Angels, and letting the beat guys get all their stories wittten and submitted is probably about as unprofessional as you can get.

So instead of the media writing about how Willie couldn't get this team turned around and how hopefully this will move will light a spark under this team you are going to get now a couple of days of how can the Mets do this do a guy who has the second best winning percentage of all Mets managers, and how he is handling this with his usual class and dignity, and how Willie will be a frontrunner for other managerial jobs because of the way he handled himself during this time.

Way to go guys. On a day where we could have all had fun ripping Hank for his "The NL should really catch up with times and implement the DH". (Not that we won't do it anyway cause he is a moron too) ;) You go and take down one of baseball's class acts in about as classless a way possible.

they let Willie hold his post game press conference, where he talked about building on the win and having a productive road trip. THEN they get back to the team hotel and THAT is when Omar fires him! What a complete cluster F--k by a complete cluster F---k of an organization

Mets fire Randolph; Peterson, Nieto also dismissed

Associated Press

Updated: June 17, 2008, 8:08 AM ET

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- After weeks of speculation that his job was in jeopardy, Willie Randolph finally got fired by the New York Mets while most fans were sleeping.

mlb_randolph_200.jpg AP Photo/Kathy Willens

The Mets had Willie Randolph manage the team Monday night in L.A. -- and fired him early Tuesday morning.

Randolph was let go in the middle of the night Tuesday, 2

Hey, look at all the frequent flyer miles the Mets let them accumulate.

The club that is always giving.

Those or the company's miles, not Randolph's. The Coupons, er, Wilpons have a big family gathering in Florida next month. They needed those miles to get everyone flying coach down to Del Boca Vista Phase II. They will be doing their best to get all the extra peanuts and chips possible on the flight. It's BYOB, of course.

Those or the company's miles, not Randolph's. The Coupons, er, Wilpons have a big family gathering in Florida next month. They needed those miles to get everyone flying coach down to Del Boca Vista Phase II. They will be doing their best to get all the extra peanuts and chips possible on the flight. It's BYOB, of course.

The whole thing was bush league.

They ahve bad blood on their hands, and it will make anyone who is worth any salt, think twice about managing for the club.

I would be very interested in knowing what their long range thinking is beyond Manuel, as he is not the long term answer.

They have to have a long term answer right? Right?

Backman? Nah, too embarassing for this club to take a chance like that.

The whole thing was bush league.

They ahve bad blood on their hands, and it will make anyone who is worth any salt, think twice about managing for the club.

I would be very interested in knowing what their long range thinking is beyond Manuel, as he is not the long term answer.

They have to have a long term answer right? Right?

Backman? Nah, too embarassing for this club to take a chance like that.

Backman's a drunk and a loose cannon, but he has won every place he's been in the mionrs. Kinda like the last guy who won anything that mattered at Shea, Davey Johnson. Jerry Manuel vs. Wally Backman shouldn't even be a decision. But the Wilpons won't do it, and Minaya will try to hire another hack pal.

Anyone want to defend the high quality work Minaya did here? Sandy Alomar, the guy who effs up Brian Schneider the other day, keeps his job. Go figure.

Backman's a drunk and a loose cannon, but he has won every place he's been in the mionrs. Kinda like the last guy who won anything that mattered at Shea, Davey Johnson. Jerry Manuel vs. Wally Backman shouldn't even be a decision. But the Wilpons won't do it, and Minaya will try to hire another hack pal.

Anyone want to defend the high quality work Minaya did here? Sandy Alomar, the guy who effs up Brian Schneider the other day, keeps his job. Go figure.

Backman's was Johnson's boy all teh way through the minors and then on teh big club.

The Mets need to decide whether they are more concerned about image, or winning.

And, all the while their image takes a hit the way they bungle personnel machinations.

The Mets really messed up with this - If you are going to fire him it should have been done after debacle in San Diego.

Minaya is the next on the hot seat for his quetionable player acquisitions and depending on older past their prime players.

As much as I wanted Willie out gotta agree, how this was done was rather tacky. They even won tonite. the timing makes little sense.

what's the difference in that they won? the decision was probably made over the weekend and they may have been lining up the new coaches to take over.

It's tacky that they did it over e-mail but having the mets win the game makes no difference at all.

Kinda comical if you think about it. I think the Wilpons were so pissed off at Willie, maybe they wanted to torture him a little bit. There's no reason to feel sorry for Willie, he's got about 3 million coming to him. For an awful manager that's not too shabby, not to mention his moronic comments about race and clearly his paranoia. So Willie is definitely not without blame on this.

In all honesty, the decision was probably made Sunday, and I guess the front office felt like it had to make the decision there and then. In the end, this makes a lot of people feel bad for Willie, but firing him was the right decision at this point.

Kinda comical if you think about it. I think the Wilpons were so pissed off at Willie, maybe they wanted to torture him a little bit. There's no reason to feel sorry for Willie, he's got about 3 million coming to him. For an awful manager that's not too shabby, not to mention his moronic comments about race and clearly his paranoia. So Willie is definitely not without blame on this.

In all honesty, the decision was probably made Sunday, and I guess the front office felt like it had to make the decision there and then. In the end, this makes a lot of people feel bad for Willie, but firing him was the right decision at this point.

how can u blame it all on willie? you got wagner going out there blowing 10 saves in a row when he suppose to one of the best closers. is anyone hittign over .300? im not sure if there is then its like one or two. I also heard something about willie telling someone private stuff about players and that person told the players.. that makes all his players go against him not gonna listen to him anymore.

i think he needed to be fire bc they werent goin anywhere with him and he had no respect anymore but i think its F**ked up that met fans are blaming him.

how can u blame it all on willie? you got wagner going out there blowing 10 saves in a row when he suppose to one of the best closers. is anyone hittign over .300? im not sure if there is then its like one or two. I also heard something about willie telling someone private stuff about players and that person told the players.. that makes all his players go against him not gonna listen to him anymore.

i think he needed to be fire bc they werent goin anywhere with him and he had no respect anymore but i think its F**ked up that met fans are blaming him.

I didn't blame "everything" on Willie. I agree, it was a terrible way to fire a person, but firing him was not the wrong decision. All I said was, that people are trying to make Willie a martyr, when as a manager, he's not done a good job and his asinine comments probably sealed his fate. I also agree that the players are playing terrible, but there are a lot of capable players on this team. You know what, if players are not playing up to their abilities and/or not playing for him; managers get fired. That's just the nature of the business.

I am going to go out on a limb and say, it going to be a while before Willie gets a managerial gig again and if and when he does I sure am glad its not with the Mets.

I didn't blame "everything" on Willie. I agree, it was a terrible way to fire a person, but firing him was not the wrong decision. All I said was, that people are trying to make Willie a martyr, when as a manager, he's not done a good job and his asinine comments probably sealed his fate. I also agree that the players are playing terrible, but there are a lot of capable players on this team. You know what, if players are not playing up to their abilities and/or not playing for him; managers get fired. That's just the nature of the business.

I am going to go out on a limb and say, it going to be a while before Willie gets a managerial gig again and if and when he does I sure am glad its not with the Mets.

i kno willie needed to be fire like i said.. its just my friends that are met fans they never admit that the players are doing bad and its all willie..

i think he will get a job somewhere soon jsut i dont kno if another job is gonna open up soon.

Archived