Were you excited about Matthew Hatchette?

InstantClassic

How about Kevan Barlow? Justin McCareins? Sam Cowart?

I don't mean to be a negative nellie..but what makes us think this year's "big names" are any different?

I'd love for Fenaca, Jenkins, Pace, Franks and Richardson to all make significant contributions, but if that bitch history wants to repeat herself, then we are all setting ourselves up for yet another year of Jet disappointment.

Rate each addition as to how they will impact the team this year:

Fenaca: A - I think this is the piece we have been missing to anchor that line..hopefully the right side of the line can show up.

Jenkins: C - I would rate him higher, but who knows if this guy can be a NT in a 3-4?

Pace: C- - I want to rate him higher, but all I see is Bryan Thomas II over there.

Franks: B - I think he will be used a lot more this year than originally thought, now that CB is in the doghouse.

Richardson: A- - I think this one is the sleeper folks. I think he can pave the way for TJ and Leon for a healthy rushing attack that may come close to or eclipse 2000 yards this season.

I hope this season is different from the previous ones..we all know the football gods owe us one!

Oh god, don't remind me of any of those players. Matthew Hatchette. That guy almost makes me like Justin McCareins. Sam Cowart didn't really bother me that much. All those players suck though.

As for Jenkins, and Pace I think Pace is going to play well, but I'm still unsure about Jenkins seeing how he's never played in a 3-4 before. While Pace was a 3-4 OLB playing out of position as a 4-3 DE.

This is messed up, look at the comparisons you are making. The likes of Faneca, Jenkins and Richardson have been elite players in this league for many years.

How in the sweet name of Jesus do you compare players of class to F'ing Kevan Barlow and Justin McCareins?!?

Jenkins isn't proven as a 3-4, but he definietly has the physical toos to be a huge force there. I can't see how, with his size, that he can possibly be worse than Robertson, his size and power alone means that he will not be dominated in the way D-Rob was at NT and that will improve our D in just about every other aspect.

The Pace signing I was far from thrilled with, but I'd be willing to guarantee he'll be better than Bryan Thomas. I've watched a lot of Cardinals games from last season and he was very solid if not spectacular throughout. He showed more for the Crads last season than Thomas has ever shown as a Jet.

There is no reason to have a negative view of these signings, I'm just glad the Jets showed the balls to make these moves.It could have been far worse. I'm going to remain optimistic about these guys until I've seen a reason to think otherwise.

Theres a difference between all of those names and Alan Faneca.

None of those guys were Pro Bowl players like Alan Faneca. None of those players made seven straight Pro Bowl apperances before being signed by the team. None of those players came from Super Bowl Champions. None of those players played as well as Faneca did at their respected positions.

You could pretty much say the same thing for Kris Jenkins as well.

Alan Faneca is the Jets first close to "sure thing" Free Agent (that wasn't 35 years old) they've brought in since I've been freakin' alive.

None of the names you mentioned even played half decent on their previous teams with the exception of Cowart. Cowart actually played well for us before snapping his achilles. You're comparing apples to oranges.

All of our acquisitions this season have been either probowl talent, potential HOF talent (Richardson, who has been the best if not one of the best FB's of his time and Faneca, who has been a top 3 Guard of his era), or very young potential with solid upside. You can make a slight case that McCariens was a young talent with upside, but the fact is he did nothing with TEN besides catching a long TD pass against us in that frigid Monday Night game. Other than that he really did nothing at all and Bradway grossly overpaid for him. Pace, while admittedly still has much to prove, at least put in a very solid season last year.

Hachette and McCareins were Pace style signings. Guys that haven't accomplished much, have almost no name recognition and were supposed to be coming into their prime. I don't think anybody here was all ecstatic over signing Pace, not even me and I am probably JN's #1 Bryan Thomas hater.

Faneca, Jenkins, Woody and Richardson are more like A****er, Lott and maybe Cowart. Guys that are/were players but their best days are behind them.

Hachette and McCareins were Pace style signings. Guys that haven't accomplished much, have almost no name recognition and were supposed to be coming into their prime. I don't think anybody here was all ecstatic over signing Pace, not even me and I am probably JN's #1 Bryan Thomas hater.

Faneca, Jenkins, Woody and Richardson are more like A****er, Lott and maybe Cowart. Guys that are/were players but their best days are behind them.

I was far from excited about Pace too, but I've watched a lot of his games from last season and he was very, very good for Arizona. He's not an elite pass rushing threat by any means and people who are expecting that from him will be sadly dissapointed, but he is a very good all round player and looked very effective vs the Run. He's better than Bryan Thomas, no doubt in my mind at all.

Alan Faneca is the Jets first close to "sure thing" Free Agent (that wasn't 35 years old) they've brought in since I've been freakin' alive.

Guess you didn't think much of Martin after all. Welcome to the dark side.

I think Jumbo was about to turn 31 when the Jets signed him (younger than Faneca).

That same off-season, David Williams was thought to be a sure thing also.

Also in that off-season we brought in Jeff Graham coming off a 1300-yard season and Neil O'Donnell. Both were easily more of a "sure thing" than Calvin Pace.

Brenda might take issue with you thinking Mawae was anything but a "sure thing" when Parcells nabbed him.

Donnie Abraham had 20 picks & a pro bowl appearance over the prior 3 seasons when the Jets signed him at age 28. For a cover-2 defense, he was about as sure-thing as there was available.

Tony Castillas was a starting DT on the prior two superbowl champion teams (and former #2 overall pick) when the Jets signed him. Never lived up to his draft slot but he was a solid starter for several years & was only 30 when the Jets signed him. Didn't exactly pan out so great for us though. Now forget I said that name.

Guess you didn't think much of Martin after all. Welcome to the dark side.

I think Jumbo was about to turn 31 when the Jets signed him (younger than Faneca).

That same off-season, David Williams was thought to be a sure thing also.

Also in that off-season we brought in Jeff Graham coming off a 1300-yard season and Neil O'Donnell. Both were easily more of a "sure thing" than Calvin Pace.

Brenda might take issue with you thinking Mawae was anything but a "sure thing" when Parcells nabbed him.

Donnie Abraham had 20 picks & a pro bowl appearance over the prior 3 seasons when the Jets signed him at age 28. For a cover-2 defense, he was about as sure-thing as there was available.

Tony Castillas was a starting DT on the prior two superbowl champion teams (and former #2 overall pick) when the Jets signed him. Never lived up to his draft slot but he was a solid starter for several years & was only 30 when the Jets signed him. Didn't exactly pan out so great for us though. Now forget I said that name.

Curtis Martin was a RESTRICTED Free Agent. The Jets had to trade draft picks for him.

Kevin Mawae was no great player in Seattle last I checked, then again at 10, I didn't know much about him when we signed him but from what I can remember, he wasn't thought to be that great.

Donnie Abraham wasn't a shutdown Cornerback. Sure he had 20 picks in Tampa Bay, but that was because of the system. The Jets were hoping he'd fit into their system, but their Defense was never as good as Tampa's while Donnie was there.

Jeff Graham? Old. Neil O'Donnell? Old. Has beens. Alan Faneca at 31 for an OLineman is not old and neither is Kris Jenkins in his late 20's for a Nose Tackle in a 34 Defense.

Jumbo Elliot would be the only that I missed. My bad. :P

the Curtis Conway signing mystified me-2 years before he got here he had 71 catches for over 1100 yards 6 TDs the next year he got hurt and missed 3 games and still caught 57 balls for 850 yards he gets here and pretty much stinks it up...we never did replace Keyshawn Johnson did we?

the Curtis Conway signing mystified me-2 years before he got here he had 71 catches for over 1100 yards 6 TDs the next year he got hurt and missed 3 games and still caught 57 balls for 850 yards he gets here and pretty much stinks it up...we never did replace Keyshawn Johnson did we?

Nope.

Still waiting for that #1 Receiver. Coles was a good fit in 2002, but since he returned he has been labeled the #1 Receiver, but he's more like a solid #2 playing in the role of a 1. He also does not have the height advantage that KJ had. This is why back in 2000 I wanted the Jets to draft Plaxico Burress, not Chad Pennington. Oh well.

Nope.

Still waiting for that #1 Receiver. Coles was a good fit in 2002, but since he returned he has been labeled the #1 Receiver, but he's more like a solid #2 playing in the role of a 1. He also does not have the height advantage that KJ had. This is why back in 2000 I wanted the Jets to draft Plaxico Burress, not Chad Pennington. Oh well.

there's been a few guys over the years I've wanted one of them being Chad Johnson when HE was coming out also Jabar Gaffney (is he available now?) Jabar is still only 27

there's been a few guys over the years I've wanted one of them being Chad Johnson when HE was coming out also Jabar Gaffney (is he available now?) Jabar is still only 27

Jabar Gaffney? He resigned with New England, unfortunately. I wanted the Jets to bring him in as well, but as a slot receiver, certainly not a #1.

Jabar Gaffney? He resigned with New England, unfortunately. I wanted the Jets to bring him in as well, but as a slot receiver, certainly not a #1.

a slot receiver which we need since Brad Smith can't friggin catch a football-Chansi is a chancey proposition and Keller really who friggin knows

a slot receiver which we need since Brad Smith can't friggin catch a football-Chansi is a chancey proposition and Keller really who friggin knows

Which is why I hope the Jets are interested in Eric Paker and will bring him in. Not only would he step in as the slot receiver right away, but he would also be the teams Punt Returner and would add veteran insurance if Coles goes down with a concussion or another injury again.

How great would it be if Stuckey could really step up and produce as our #3? Everything I've heard from him has been positive and I can't wait to see what he can do.

This is messed up, look at the comparisons you are making. The likes of Faneca, Jenkins and Richardson have been elite players in this league for many years.

How in the sweet name of Jesus do you compare players of class to F'ing Kevan Barlow and Justin McCareins?!?

Jenkins isn't proven as a 3-4, but he definietly has the physical toos to be a huge force there. I can't see how, with his size, that he can possibly be worse than Robertson, his size and power alone means that he will not be dominated in the way D-Rob was at NT and that will improve our D in just about every other aspect.

The Pace signing I was far from thrilled with, but I'd be willing to guarantee he'll be better than Bryan Thomas. I've watched a lot of Cardinals games from last season and he was very solid if not spectacular throughout. He showed more for the Crads last season than Thomas has ever shown as a Jet.

There is no reason to have a negative view of these signings, I'm just glad the Jets showed the balls to make these moves.It could have been far worse. I'm going to remain optimistic about these guys until I've seen a reason to think otherwise.

I didn't make any comparisons, nor is that the purpose of the thread.

We, as fans, get excited over players we bring in. Everyone is guilty for rooting for new players when we get them, with bright optimism hoping they are an instant contributor. Don't say your not.

The purpose of this thread, other than to rip your hearts out thinking of the trash we let in :P is to rate how you see the big additions impacting the team in year one.

How about Kevan Barlow? Justin McCareins? Sam Cowart?

I don't mean to be a negative nellie..but what makes us think this year's "big names" are any different?

I'd love for Fenaca, Jenkins, Pace, Franks and Richardson to all make significant contributions, but if that bitch history wants to repeat herself, then we are all setting ourselves up for yet another year of Jet disappointment.

Rate each addition as to how they will impact the team this year:

Fenaca: A - I think this is the piece we have been missing to anchor that line..hopefully the right side of the line can show up.

Jenkins: C - I would rate him higher, but who knows if this guy can be a NT in a 3-4?

Pace: C- - I want to rate him higher, but all I see is Bryan Thomas II over there.

Franks: B - I think he will be used a lot more this year than originally thought, now that CB is in the doghouse.

Richardson: A- - I think this one is the sleeper folks. I think he can pave the way for TJ and Leon for a healthy rushing attack that may come close to or eclipse 2000 yards this season.

I hope this season is different from the previous ones..we all know the football gods owe us one!

Out of all the names in the past you mentioned the only one that was a certified bust was Cowart. The rest of those guys (Hatchette, Barlow, McCareins) all sucked BEFORE they even got here. Cowart was an excellent player for the Bills and he wasn't even that big of a bust he just got hurt and Vilma took his spot and became a pro-bowler.

I agree with you on Pace. Very risky move that doesn't have a lot of payoff (Career high 6.5 sacks? This guy is supposed to be a demon pass rusher?). But I have a feeling he'll at least be decent.

Faneca was a no-brainer, Richardson was a no-brainer too. Franks is here for depth and that's all he should be here for. I think Jenkins will do a good job next year at NT - he can't be worse than Robertson and Pouha.

A few more others to add to the bunch if they werent already mentioned-----------

Art Monk and Ronnie Lott. These guys were good NFL players but washed up when the NYJETS signed them.

Monk and Lott were way past their prime when they got here. Jenkins is 28 and plays NT and Faneca is a 31 and plays Guard.

Fenaca-----B I wanted Anderson. Paid to much money, but still it was a good move he was the best out there.

Jenkins-----A This guy was born to be a NT. Made two Pro Bowls playing in a 4-3, but using the style of a 3-4 NT. Only concern is health.

Pace--------C Will be a good player, but they paid way to much

Franks-------B+ At one time one of the best TE's in the league. Is only 30 YO, but has health concerns. If he stays healthy this is an A

Richardson__B Great FB. Not sure how much gas he has left in his tank

Curtis Martin was a RESTRICTED Free Agent. The Jets had to trade draft picks for him.

Kevin Mawae was no great player in Seattle last I checked, then again at 10, I didn't know much about him when we signed him but from what I can remember, he wasn't thought to be that great.

Donnie Abraham wasn't a shutdown Cornerback. Sure he had 20 picks in Tampa Bay, but that was because of the system. The Jets were hoping he'd fit into their system, but their Defense was never as good as Tampa's while Donnie was there.

Jeff Graham? Old. Neil O'Donnell? Old. Has beens. Alan Faneca at 31 for an OLineman is not old and neither is Kris Jenkins in his late 20's for a Nose Tackle in a 34 Defense.

Jumbo Elliot would be the only that I missed. My bad. :P

Martin was a free agent, restricted or not.

Mawae was a top center. He was picked up by Parcells specifically to handle guys like Ted Washington in Buffalo. The fact that he hadn't gone to a pro bowl is a nothing reason. Kerry Rhodes is a top DB & he hasn't been to one either.

Donnie Abraham was a sure thing CB. What difference does it make if he was a "shutdown" CB? We were a Tampa-2 defense. In that defense, Abraham was a sure thing at the time we acquired him.

Jeff Graham was old? WTF are you talking about? He was 27 and fully in his prime, coming off a career year when we signed him, dumbass.

O'Donnell was 30, which is right in the middle of a typical QB's prime. How was he an old has-been? He was just in a superbowl as a starting QB. Had like the lowest interception percentage in NFL history or something like that. We may have overpaid for him money-wise, but other than skipping out on the '96 season with an "injury" he was about the same that he was in Pittsburgh. He was a "sure thing" -- a legit NFL QB capable of getting to the superbowl.

What are you even arguing about? You were barely 5 years old when most of these guys were picked up.

You call me a dumbass, but fail to realize that when these guys were picked up I was between the games of 8 and 11. :P

O'Donnell was coming of a Super Bowl? Really. Awesome. I knew that. He also wasn't known for slinging the ball around and being a great Quarterback. He had a solid team around him.

Mawae a top center in Seattle? Think not. NOBODY I asked today who was 25 or older, Jets fans and other fans, thought Mawae was anything before being signed by the Jets.

Donnie Abraham was not a sure thing. You cannot call a guy who played well in only one particular system a sure thing. The Jets ran the same system, yeah, but didn't have the pieces that played well enough.

Martin had to be traded for. There is a difference. This is Free Agents, not Restrcited Free Agents.

None of the names you mentioned even played half decent on their previous teams with the exception of Cowart. Cowart actually played well for us before snapping his achilles. You're comparing apples to oranges.

All of our acquisitions this season have been either probowl talent, potential HOF talent (Richardson, who has been the best if not one of the best FB's of his time and Faneca, who has been a top 3 Guard of his era), or very young potential with solid upside. You can make a slight case that McCariens was a young talent with upside, but the fact is he did nothing with TEN besides catching a long TD pass against us in that frigid Monday Night game. Other than that he really did nothing at all and Bradway grossly overpaid for him. Pace, while admittedly still has much to prove, at least put in a very solid season last year.

I was there and thought McCariens was the sh!t after that game, no lie.

A lot of the 'why' as to whether free agents work out or not is the talent evaluators. Even with good ones sometimes free agents just don't work out. Look at Bryan Thomas, he looked great because he was playing hard for a contract, then got the contract and admitted to taking 2007 off. It happens unfortunately.

Archived