User Reputation

Maxman

We lost one of our own today. Please, a moment of silence.

I thought reputation was a bad idea. But people wanted it so we set it up. I got a complaint about someone neg repping others. I figured I would go in and just disable the entire feature. I thought my orginal idea was the right one (rep was bad).

Anyhow I looked through the logs just now. And I found that it is actually a pretty good feature. Most people are using it in a positive way. With one glaring exception.

So instead of disabling the feature for everyone I just disabled it for one person. The funny part? He had 2 pages of positve rep that he left for other people. And 30 pages of negative rep.

30 pages of negative rep that he left for other people. They were thought provoking as well. The comments of ead. suk it. i hate u. Wow, a real deep thinker.

Sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say....well, you know how that saying goes. At any rate -- the User Reputation is not a way to bypass any of the few site rules that we have. No personal attacks.

The best part? The 30 pages of negative rep\personal attacks took about 3 seconds to delete. All that hard work, down the drain.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought reputation was a bad idea. But people wanted it so we set it up. I got a complaint about someone neg repping others. I figured I would go in and just disable the entire feature. I thought my orginal idea was the right one (rep was bad).

Anyhow I looked through the logs just now. And I found that it is actually a pretty good feature. Most people are using it in a positive way. With one glaring exception.

So instead of disabling the feature for everyone I just disabled it for one person. The funny part? He had 2 pages of positve rep that he left for other people. And 30 pages of negative rep.

30 pages of negative rep that he left for other people. They were thought provoking as well. The comments of ead. suk it. i hate u. Wow, a real deep thinker.

Sometimes if you don't have anything nice to say....well, you know how that saying goes. At any rate -- the User Reputation is not a way to bypass any of the few site rules that we have. No personal attacks.

The best part? The 30 pages of negative rep\personal attacks took about 3 seconds to delete. All that hard work, down the drain.

haha.

The program I used showed 25 reps per page. There were 30 pages of them. 30 pages people. 2 or 3 pages of positive. The rest were negative rep.

Wow. That is a lot of negativity. Just ain't healthy.

I just saw this item and wanted to applaud you for not dumping rep because a few posters were abusing it. Too many times in our society we eliminate fun/important/controversial things for the sake of the lowest common denominator. I like the rep feature and don't mind if I get positive or negative comments. It just means I have caused a reaction and people are reading my words.

Max, whatever you do, do NOT snoop into my saved PM messages. I don't want you to know how much I talk about you behind your back. This way we can continue to carry on our charade that I like you.

Alright. In return all I ask is that you don't read what I write about you in the moderator forum.

Why is negative rep abusing the system? Are we supposed to love everybody and everything they say? I don't see a problem with negative rep, but I can see a problem with comments like EAD. It should be EABOD.

Good point. Negative rep really isn't the problem. Searching old posts and negative repping them non-stop, that is an issue. The MSN Spider Bot got neg repp'ed. LOL.

Why is negative rep abusing the system? Are we supposed to love everybody and everything they say? I don't see a problem with negative rep, but I can see a problem with comments like EAD. It should be EABOD.

Neg rep for the idiot lawyer. Boo ya!

I agree with Dom about the neg rep. Why have it if you're not allowed to utilize it. It's not much of a system if your not allowed to give neg rep to posters who you feel deserve neg rep.

The comments thing I can understand.

ASKED AND ANSWERED. :P

You can use it but in cases when 60,000 are left and they all say EAD I think that qualifies as excessive negativity. Even by JetNation standards!

:)

ASKED AND ANSWERED. :P

You can use it but in cases when 60,000 are left and they all say EAD I think that qualifies as excessive negativity. Even by JetNation standards!

:)

If the 60,000 have a legit reason (Jetsrule128 and kobe24jets say hello) then I don't see the problem.

If the 60,000 have a legit reason (Jetsrule128 and kobe24jets say hello) then I don't see the problem.

You have plenty of posts that are screaming for neg rep. Stop calling other posters out.

Archived