Matt Jones arrested on drug charge

faba

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. -- Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver Matt Jones faces a felony drug charge in his former college town after police say officers found him cutting up cocaine with a credit card Thursday morning.

Jones

The 25-year-old Jones and two other men were inside a Toyota SUV in Fayetteville just after 12:40 a.m. Thursday when officers approached. Officers saw a card covered in a white powder in Jones' lap as he used a credit card to scrape it, a police report said.

Officers opened the door and ordered Jones to put his hands in the air. According to the report, Jones kept his left hand out of view, forcing at least one officer to draw his handgun.

Jones, 25-year-old Jared Hicks and 26-year-old Benjamin Cook were arrested. Officers say they searched the vehicle and found a plastic bag filled with a white substance that tested positive for cocaine and a jar with possible marijuana residue.

Officers questioned Jones and he acknowledged the white powder was cocaine, the report said.

Hicks and Cook were arrested on misdemeanor drug charges. Jones was being held Thursday at the Washington County jail on a charge of felony possession of a controlled substance, and is scheduled to be arraigned Friday.

The team was waiting to learn details of the case before commenting.

"We're trying to investigate that now," Jaguars owner Wayne Weaver said of Jones' arrest. "We don't have all the facts. We will comment on that once we have all the facts."

Officers say Hicks had a small plastic straw coated with suspected cocaine behind his ear. Both Cook and Hicks face misdemeanor charges of possession of drug paraphernalia. Neither was in jail Thursday morning, officials said.

Jones was a star quarterback at Arkansas, throwing for 5,857 yards and running for 2,535. He was a first-round draft pick in 2005, but failed to develop into the go-to receiver Jacksonville thought he could be.

Jones caught 77 passes for 1,075 yards and nine touchdowns in his first two pro seasons, but struggled in 2007. Coach Jack Del Rio became increasingly frustrated with Jones' demeanor and work ethic last season, making him inactive for three games.

In the offseason, the Jaguars signed free agent Jerry Porter and traded for former first-round pick Troy Williamson.

If you wanna hang out youve got to take her out; cocaine.

If you wanna get down, down on the ground; cocaine.

She dont lie, she dont lie, she dont lie; cocaine.

If you got bad news, you wanna kick them blues; cocaine.

When your day is done and you wanna run; cocaine.

If your thing is gone and you wanna ride on; cocaine.

Dont forget this fact, you cant get it back; cocaine.

If they are all as ****ty as Dwayne Jarrett and Matt Jones I'm glad they won't play for the Jets. You can add Charles Rogers and Mike Williams to that list. I'm so upset.

Your right we are so deep in talent at WR we dont need any of those guys.Our unproven group is so much better.Coles goes down Cotchery will be the 1 man show.

Your right we are so deep in talent at WR we dont need any of those guys.Our unproven group is so much better.Coles goes down Cotchery will be the 1 man show.

Cotchery on one side and me on the other is better pair than any two in that group. It's okay to want to improve at every position, but improvement requires talent. Matt Jones is the only one on that group that has EVER had as many catches in a season as Brad Smith, so how are they an improvement?

Cotchery on one side and me on the other is better pair than any two in that group. It's okay to want to improve at every position, but improvement requires talent. Matt Jones is the only one on that group that has EVER had as many catches in a season as Brad Smith, so how are they an improvement?

Many players with a change of scenery become better players and some even superstars.Im not saying this would be the case with any of the mentioned players.I just dont feel comfortable going into the season with the unproven group we have.My prediction is we pick an old washed WR who gets cut in camp.Typical manuever.

But you are the expert.So please do tell us more.

I'm sick of these stories now. I can't believe that these athletes would let themselves get caught up in **** like this. Was the million dollar salary not enough that he had to sell drugs on the side? Was it not enough to keep him clean for his 10-15 year career? He couldn't find anything legal to do with his time so he got into coke?

I just can't comprehend why people would risk it. True, I have never done cocaine, or sold it for that matter, but if your urge was that strong to do drugs then maybe you shouldn't be in the NFL.

I guess all these players see how Pacman Jones got back in the league after just one year, and is now making good money with the Cowboys. Cedric Benson, although dropped from the Bears, will probably be picked up by some team during training camp as a 3rd or PS RB.

If I was in the NFL, those 10-15 years would be the driest, cleanest years of my life. Especially when you hear about the stuff that happens to other players like Kiel (driving drunk). They are being payed huge money to play a game for a living, why would anyone do anything that could possible throw that away?

I'm sick of these stories now. I can't believe that these athletes would let themselves get caught up in **** like this. Was the million dollar salary not enough that he had to sell drugs on the side? Was it not enough to keep him clean for his 10-15 year career? He couldn't find anything legal to do with his time so he got into coke?

I just can't comprehend why people would risk it. True, I have never done cocaine, or sold it for that matter, but if your urge was that strong to do drugs then maybe you shouldn't be in the NFL.

I guess all these players see how Pacman Jones got back in the league after just one year, and is now making good money with the Cowboys. Cedric Benson, although dropped from the Bears, will probably be picked up by some team during training camp as a 3rd or PS RB.

If I was in the NFL, those 10-15 years would be the driest, cleanest years of my life. Especially when you hear about the stuff that happens to other players like Kiel (driving drunk). They are being payed huge money to play a game for a living, why would anyone do anything that could possible throw that away?

I don't see why it should surprise you. These are young guys that are under a lot of pressure often from poor, uneducated backgrounds that suddenly have a lot of money. People risk a hell of a lot more than an NFL career for drugs. I'm much more concerned with DUI, neglecting children, etc than I am with risking the chance to get paid to play a game.

I don't see why it should surprise you. These are young guys that are under a lot of pressure often from poor, uneducated backgrounds that suddenly have a lot of money. People risk a hell of a lot more than an NFL career for drugs. I'm much more concerned with DUI, neglecting children, etc than I am with risking the chance to get paid to play a game.

I just feel like doing something for 10-15 years and being set for life would be more of an incentive to stop activity that could get them kicked out of the league. I just figured that, especially with the way Goodell has been cracking down on these guys, people would get smart to the fact that these actions will not be tolerated by the league, not to mention the legal repercussions. I see it as damaging activity, but apparently they do not.

I just feel like doing something for 10-15 years and being set for life would be more of an incentive to stop activity that could get them kicked out of the league. I just figured that, especially with the way Goodell has been cracking down on these guys, people would get smart to the fact that these actions will not be tolerated by the league, not to mention the legal repercussions. I see it as damaging activity, but apparently they do not.

Oh yeah, I see where you're coming from. I just think raising your kids and keeping a roof over your head would also be a pretty big incentive.

Archived