Brett Favre as a backup QB in GB

lawngnome o-line

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3484473

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers' general manager and coach don't plan to grant Brett Favre's request for his release. If he does rejoin the team, they told The Associated Press, it won't be as the starting quarterback.

And Favre is unlikely to accept a backup role, GM Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy acknowledged Saturday in their first public comments since the 38-year-old Favre demanded his release this week.

A trade may be the best resolution, but Thompson and McCarthy declined to discuss that possibility. Thompson said he had not received any inquiries from other teams as of Saturday morning.

"We've communicated that to Brett, that we have since moved forward," Thompson said. "At the same time, we've never said that there couldn't be some role that he might play here. But I would understand his point that he would want to play."

When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: "not a coach."

Added McCarthy: "He did ask about that, though."

On Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Favre had requested an amicable and unconditional release from the Packers via letter, attributing sources close to the player and team.

Neither Thompson nor McCarthy had expressed optimism Tuesday concerning a possible return during a conference call with Favre and his agent, James Cook, according to the sources.

Favre, who led the Packers to a Super Bowl title after the 1996 season, held a tearful news conference to announce his retirement March 6. The Packers planned to begin the season with Aaron Rodgers as the starting quarterback.

Favre, who was placed on the reserve-retired list in late April, has three years and $39 million left on his contract with the Packers.

To be reinstated, Favre must apply through commissioner Roger Goodell. That would force the Packers to activate the 16-year veteran.

McCarthy said he and Thompson were in constant communication with Favre throughout the offseason.

"Quite frankly, it's a little gut-wrenching as an organization to go through it, and certainly for Mike and myself," Thompson said. "This stuff hurts a lot of people. I mean, it hurts. I'm not talking about physically hurting, but the sensitivity. We understand where the fans are coming from. This is a hot-button issue that surpasses anything I've ever gone through."

Uh-oh, this could get very very ugly in the locker room. I think this is a nice smoke screen to other teams opening up the bidding war IMO

He gave 16 great years to that organization and he asks for one thing to become a free agent, and they cant do that for him??[/quote]

No they can't.

Not that many teams would be interested in him. Probably the Viks and Bears. You don't let a player walk to a division rival. That's just stupid.

You make it sound like he was playing for free. The guy has made millions and millions. If he wants to hold a clipboard for 12 a year, he can do it, or perhaps be traded for a 6th or 7th to somone in the AFC

He is under contract. He has a choice, either retire with some class, or hold a golden clipboard.

The Jets FO is praying it will be paying Pennington 11 million this year to hold a clipboard. Why not?

What makes anyone think either Farve or the Jets would be slightly interested in this deal.

Farve is a country boy. He hates big cities. he wants to come back for one more year to have a chance at another title. The Jets are off a 4-12 season, and are in the biggest city in the world.

The Jets have a 2nd round draft pick, that they were very high on, who just hasn't had a chance yet. Farve, unlike Pennington, hasn't been very helpful to Rogers. He sure won't be any friendlier to Clemens. That would stunt Clemens growth.

Farve is here for tops one season. He has changed his mind about 5 times in the last year. What would stop him from coming to NY, being here 2 weeks, and saying "this sucks" I'm going home.

If he is going to screw the Packers to get what he wants, he will screw the Jets in a heart beat..

I just can't see this happening

The Jets FO is praying it will be paying Pennington 11 million this year to hold a clipboard. Why not?

What makes anyone think either Farve or the Jets would be slightly interested in this deal.

Farve is a country boy. He hates big cities. he wants to come back for one more year to have a chance at another title. The Jets are off a 4-12 season, and are in the biggest city in the world.

The Jets have a 2nd round draft pick, that they were very high on, who just hasn't had a chance yet. Farve, unlike Pennington, hasn't been very helpful to Rogers. He sure won't be any friendlier to Clemens. That would stunt Clemens growth.

Farve is here for tops one season. He has changed his mind about 5 times in the last year. What would stop him from coming to NY, being here 2 weeks, and saying "this sucks" I'm going home.

If he is going to screw the Packers to get what he wants, he will screw the Jets in a heart beat..

Pennington makes $6M this year. Half of Favre's salary. Big difference.

If the FO and the CS have annointed Rodgers "the man" and the team is set up to support his success, then the "fly in the ointment" needs to come in, collect his $12.8 million, and support the frigging program.

So what if Rodgers is looking over his shoulder? He has to succeed on his own, and the team has the right to have a viable backup in case all their hopes turn south and their darkest fears are realized -- Rodgers can't sustain good play, even when everybody's blocking, the RBs are running well, and Rodgers keeps missing his receivers and finding the DBs. That's on Rodgers, not the $12.8 million backup. The backup already knows all about too many INTs, and what he says would be "So what? Get over it. **** happens."

Holding off the $12.8 million backup with consistently good QB play is no different for Rodgers than having to whip a pretty damned tough schedule of NFC North teams twice a year.

The GBP will be put in a crappy position by the backup-to-be who can't seem to let go of his youth (Does he really need the $12.8 million for the next three years, or does he just want to play even if nobody will pay it...?).

I bet that The GBP FO will be foresquare, invite BF in, make him the backup, pay him his money, refuse to trade him or release him, and hope things work out for the best.

He gave 16 great years to that organization and he asks for one thing to become a free agent, and they cant do that for him??

Why the **** would they? He signed on the dotted line, its a business not a family.

He gave 16 great years to that organization and he asks for one thing to become a free agent, and they cant do that for him??

Why should they give him away to the competition for free? Would you if he were the Jets QB? It's a business kid . May seem like it's unfair but sometimes life IS unfair.

Most teams with an above average QB, he's a good QB with a laser arm but he's completely overrated. I would take Manning or Brady over him at any point in his career.

Brett Favre isn't overrated. He is one of the greatest QBs ever and that will never change.

If I were Aaron Rodgers, I'd fear for my life right now. Packer fans will not go quietly into the night.

If they truly believe they are Super Bowl contenders without Brett, they should have done him right by releasing him and letting him go on his own path. The guy won that franchise so many games, a Super Bowl, played injured all the time for them and is the biggest figure in Green Bay / Wisconsin Sports History. And now look what they have done. Treated him like absolute garbage. I for one will NEVER root for the Green Bay Packers again, EVER, until the GM and Coach are out of town.

If I were Aaron Rodgers, I'd fear for my life right now. Packer fans will not go quietly into the night.

If they truly believe they are Super Bowl contenders without Brett, they should have done him right by releasing him and letting him go on his own path. The guy won that franchise so many games, a Super Bowl, played injured all the time for them and is the biggest figure in Green Bay / Wisconsin Sports History. And now look what they have done. Treated him like absolute garbage. I for one will NEVER root for the Green Bay Packers again, EVER, until the GM and Coach are out of town.

No offense dude but that is a load of crap. The Packers have done NOTHING they shouldn't have done. Not to mention had the right to do. You know how many Packer fans would be calling for the GMs head if Favre ended up in a Bears jersey, or Vikings??? It's be murder. They don't want that PR nightmare on their hands, and rightfully so. Favre is doing nothing but tarnishing his career right now. He could have retired, and STAYED retired, but no, he decides he wants that one fleeting grasp at victory. I agree totally with the Packers to declare this Rodger's team. Favre retired, they started building an offense AROUND Rodgers, they're supposed to dump all of that because Brett decides he wants one more shot at glory?

The Packer's front office are not the ones to blame for this mess. What if the great holy lord Favre came back and completely **** the bed? For whatever team he ends up on. He'll retire in disgrace rather than on a fairly upswing. When he retired everyone supported him, alot of fans wanted to see him come back and play again after last season, but ultimately he made the right choice. Now he's slapping them in the face by saying hey I want to win another championship, I don't care with who, I just want another ring on my finger. I have lost all respect for the man. He could've ended his career gracefully gone out with style, with CLASS. This is a bush league bull**** move on his part. And the Packers front office are the ones taking the worst of it, simply because everyone is so busy worshipping Favre they overlook facts and logic.

There are more fans pissed now that Green Bay does not want him back as a starter. Either way the fans are going to revolt and be pissed off. The Packers organization is being classless in this move. Anyone who sides with the Owners must also be supporters of PSL's, Ticket Increases after 4-12 seasons and just the general ****ing of the players and fans up the arse.

Green Bay is being stupid in every which way. One for not letting Favre go and another for believing in Kyle Boller Jr.

There are more fans pissed now that Green Bay does not want him back as a starter. Either way the fans are going to revolt and be pissed off. The Packers organization is being classless in this move. Anyone who sides with the Owners must also be supporters of PSL's, Ticket Increases after 4-12 seasons and just the general ****ing of the players and fans up the arse.

Green Bay is being stupid in every which way. One for not letting Favre go and another for believing in Kyle Boller Jr.

I don't know where you are but the fans I here talking, radio paper, in stores etc. Think Favre is the one to blame here. I think people are getting their panties in a bunch because the lord of football Brett Favre isn't getting his way. Boo freaking hoo, he made a choice to retire. The Packers moved on accordingly, how are they to blame for that?

So sure, rip the team away from Rodgers set him back another season, and hope to god Favre doesn't throw a game killing interception in a playoff game again.

I don't know where you are but the fans I here talking, radio paper, in stores etc. Think Favre is the one to blame here. I think people are getting their panties in a bunch because the lord of football Brett Favre isn't getting his way. Boo freaking hoo, he made a choice to retire. The Packers moved on accordingly, how are they to blame for that?

So sure, rip the team away from Rodgers set him back another season, and hope to god Favre doesn't throw a game killing interception in a playoff game again.

i've gotta agree with the defunct mr McGraw, 124. i know you want Brett Favre on the Jets. a part of me does too, but it guarantees nothing.

you are also allowing your passion for him to blind you to the events going on. if you listen to Sirius radio, a lot of fans are totally pissed at Brett, it might even be half.

dont turn into Favorite toon

And they gave him a BOATLOAD of money to be a member of that organization. I'd say they're even.

You really think that? Yeah sure he's a country boy but Favre is more than charismatic enough to deal with New York. He's proven already that he loves media attention and he get more than enough of that in NY.

You also really think the Jets staff are that high on Clemens? If that's the case then why is he currently competing with a guy who the same Jets staff dropped last season despite the fact that this is his 3rd season?

If they were that high on Clemens, he'd simply be starting.

You really think that? Yeah sure he's a country boy but Favre is more than charismatic enough to deal with New York. He's proven already that he loves media attention and he get more than enough of that in NY.

You also really think the Jets staff are that high on Clemens? If that's the case then why is he currently competing with a guy who the same Jets staff dropped last season despite the fact that this is his 3rd season?

If they were that high on Clemens, he'd simply be starting.

Yep I really think that. The reason I think that is Farve said it.

The Jets tried very hard to trade up for him when he was drafted. At the last second the deal fell apart for some reason.

I the papers the other day, it was reported that Farve was asked about the trade a couple of years ago, and he said. Thank God that didn't happen. I could never live in NY. he went on to talk about what a country boy he is

The Jets have lost several FA's over the last couple of years because, either they or their wife's just didn't want to line in NY. NY is one of those places that you either love or hate. Jenkins loves it, Farve won't.

This isn't about money. He could make 12 million a year to sit on the bench. This is about ego, and personal choice. he said in today's paper that he didn't want to be traded because he wouldn't just play anywhere, the team would have to be a contender.

A 4 win team is not much of a contender. Some of us think so, including myself, but we are Jets fans. That is the reason most National Media types are throwing the Jets under the bus. Again I ask, What would happen if in October Farve just decided he hated NY, and retired?

Neither side wants this deal. He wants to play for the Vikes or start for the Packers. Neither of those things are going to happen

That actually wouldnt be a bad deal for GB. Jets would never do it though.

This will be my last post on this Farve thing, It is getting silly. Neither side is at all interested in this deal. It doesn't make any sense at all.

Why in the world would Green Bay trade Farve for Pennington. Farve wants to go back and start for Green Bay. Green Bay being a very smart FO knows that it is time to see if Rogers can play football, and wants Farve to retire with some grace. They drafted two QB's, why in the world would they want Pennington instead of Farve.

If the Jets are also a smart FO, and I think they are, they will want to see if Clemens can play football. They are keeping Pennington around just in case Clemens stinks, and because Pennington is a class act they know he will do everything he can to help Clemens. unlike Farve who has done nothing to help Rogers. I saw a funny post on that. According to the post some one asked Rogers if Farve had been a mentor to him. According to the post Rogers replied "Oh sure, I think he nodded at me once, then again he might have been yawing"

Archived