Next year's Position Targets

C-Mart28

Since its that dead time waiting for training camp to start (tminus 3 days) I got to thinking...taking QB entirely out of the equation (to avoid turning this thread into another Chad/Kellen/Favre/whoever thread) what positions do some of you feel we should target when FA comes around in March? Taking out what might transpire over the next sixth months that we all know will go way to fast.

Keep in mind, Miller, Barton, and Nugent are the only big name FA's (at least off the top of my head), that will be eligible for hitting the market.

My vote is secondary with some depth for the two lines.

Well, all this will mean nothing if they don't resign Nugent because Nugent is the straw that stirs the drink, ala Reggie Jackson. If they let the Nuge go the Jets will be no better than 2-14 for at least the next 15 seasons. Truth hurts. The #1 priority is to resign The Nuge and then target the list below:

Inside Linebacker.

Offensive Lineman.

Running Back. (Thomas Jones, no matter how well he does this year, is 30 years of age).

Wide Receiver.

Cornerback. (Can never have enough good Corners).

Pass Rushing DE. (Ellis is getting up their in age).

Defensive End. Coleman is good but far from great and I've never been a fan of Shaun Ellis. I think we need to target a 3-4 DE soon.

Also, Running Back. I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of Jones at all. It's a young players position and Jones will not be 'young' this time next year. Whether it's through the draft or free agency I want to see us get a stud running back to go with this strong O-line.

I agree that I wouldn't mind some aditions to the secondary and LB core. RB and DE would be my top priorities though.

LB is one of the few positions I'm not worried about, with Harris, Pace and Ghoulston, I figure only an upgrade at ILB could help.

Yup, well with Barton hitting free agency he would have to show something this year to have us re-sign him, I think he's average at best. We should be set on the outside with Gholston and Pace. I'm hoping that will be the case anyways.

Unless Clemens comes around or Ainge is the 2nd coming of Christ, the Jets are going to have to target a big name QB, or at least sought after backup to hop in at QB. With all the $ spent and positions filled, they can't afford to draft a QB and wait a few years for him to come around.

Who would be available next year as far as QBs go?

If Derek Anderson has another solid season in Cleveland, you'd have to believe that Brady Quinn (although it would be via a trade) would top the list of these potential Free Agents:

Rex Grossman

Kyle Boller

J.P. Losman

Kurt Warner

Jeff Garcia

Unless Clemens comes around or Ainge is the 2nd coming of Christ, the Jets are going to have to target a big name QB, or at least sought after backup to hop in at QB. With all the $ spent and positions filled, they can't afford to draft a QB and wait a few years for him to come around.

Grossman, Boller, Warner, Garcia, Losman, and Simms, no really elite, could be good backups though

Defensive End. Coleman is good but far from great and I've never been a fan of Shaun Ellis. I think we need to target a 3-4 DE soon.

Also, Running Back. I've made it clear that I'm not a fan of Jones at all. It's a young players position and Jones will not be 'young' this time next year. Whether it's through the draft or free agency I want to see us get a stud running back to go with this strong O-line.

I agree that I wouldn't mind some aditions to the secondary and LB core. RB and DE would be my top priorities though.

Funny you say RB because it so happens that Steven Jackson is a potential FA, I doubt he actually hits the market, but just saying

While looking through the potential FA's, there are acutally some very good special teamers hitting the market next year. Sahyne Graham and Robbie Gould at PK with Shane Lechler at P, both easy upgrades at their positions, and cheap too, so we dont have to worry about cap space.

Number 1 need is CB. That's got to be #1. There's no position that we are weaker at. We have one good young CB and a horde of nobodies. We could just go grab the best safety available in the draft if all the tier 1 CBs are gone, but that's not optimal. Something has got to be done about this secondary.

Beyond that, I think we're actually in pretty good shape. Not great by any means, but you've excluded the QB and besides the secondary, we have no desperation at any position as far as I can tell.

We can still get upgrades at certain positions, and replacements for aging vets.

#2 WR (though if this team is going to be a defensive and ball-controlling team, you might go ILB first and WR next.

#3 ILB to compliment Harris

#4 DE

#5 RB

#6 OGs/OTs (depth)

If at any point in the draft we have a tier 1 3-4 NT, I think we almost have to pull the trigger. Not that Jenkins won't be good, but it seems like there is a severe shortage on them and it's never too early to make sure we have someone to pass the torch to at that crucial position.

So, I think we desperately need a CB, and that's about it. Maybe a WR.

RB, ILB, DE and OL depth needs to be had at some point, but it doesn't HAVE to be next year.

QB (Who knows if, or how Clemens will perform)

CB (Revis the only reliable corner we really have)

DE (Ellis is old, and Coleman is only an average end)

ILB (Would be nice to have Laurinitus on our team next year)

RB (Jones is getting up there in age, I do think he'll have a nice season this season though)

I pretty much agree with everybody else. If Clemens isn't it they need a QB ASAP. If he is then they're probably good with Ainge as backup. CB probably be #1 need, especially since Miller's deal will be up. ILB to pair up with Harris. WR. O-line. Probably in that order.

I agree that another DE would be nice, but based on this D it will not be a "pass rush DE", but another 3-4 DE along the lines of Coleman. I don't list this because I don't think this is a big ticket item and they can probably be found through low level FA or UDFA. There are a couple of guys here that *might* fill the role in Kareem Brown, Mattison and Pitoitua. Pitoitua is huge, 6'8" 290, but I know very little about him. I like what I've read about Mattison, a college DE that supposedly didn't have the athleticism to play outside in a 4-3. Many thought he could move inside, but his main problem is that he was only 270. Reports had him up to 290 which could make him a solid 3-4 end. These guys probably won't pan out, but I don't think it's a spot that calls for a high priority in FA.

CB or DE is probably the most glaring need, but i need to see what we're putting out on the field in terms of a secondary. maybe mangini wasn't talkin' sh!t about miller making strides and the kid can pick up where he left off. if that's the case i'm casting my vote for an athletic, space-eating 3-4 DE that'll let gholston/thomas/pace do their thing. gotta agree with dude who mentioned drafting a big, top tier 3-4 NT to groom. but we've got a plethora of RBs and LBs. so, i wouldn't be concerned with complimenting harris so much as enabling the LBs we already have. i wouldn't be surprised to see the 'backers lined up: gholston/pace/harris/thomas (out/in/in/out) at some point. if they could get that to work, we'd have a very scary LB corps. if we could add a 300 lb DE or two, scoring could become quite the issue for opposing offenses. other than that we could really use some O-line depth. QB i'm honestly not concerned about; not since i watched trent dilfer manage a SB victory. yes, that ravens D was goodnight status, but i think our D is on the cusp of that. that's why i'd rather they develop clemens to read, recognize and react like penny... with his burner... ah, if only dreams were tangible...

I would say we need a DE and a WR Followed by a CB and a S(unless Elam plays better, I guess)

So if we can pick up a good #2 WR in FA next year and draft a 3-4 DE and CB/S if the first two round I think we can be good. Pick up some OL depth in round 4-6.

Finding 3-4 defensive ends is difficult to do, but I think you're right. While I think the 3-4 scheme is mostly dependent on the nose tackle, a lot of scouts say the ends make the system work. Ellis has been a good player for you guys for a while but Coleman has been nothing more than average. You guys will be fine for this year and probably even 2009, but DE is definitley a position of need heading into the future.

A position that hasn't received a lot of attention in this thread is receiver. Coles is good and Cotchery has upside, but I still think the Jets could use a guy to strike fear into the heart's of opposing defensive coordinators. I know I'd be none to happy if the Jets landed Michael Crabtree next April.

If Derek Anderson has another solid season in Cleveland, you'd have to believe that Brady Quinn (although it would be via a trade) would top the list of these potential Free Agents:

Rex Grossman

Kyle Boller

J.P. Losman

Kurt Warner

Jeff Garcia

Ouch! That list is more bleak than the Jets chances on opening day. ;)

Check out the Wide Receivers. Holy ****!

Marques Colston - RFA

Donald Driver

Lee Evans

TJ Whoseyourmama?

Roy Williams

I was hoping Fitzgerald would hit that list because I think he's soon to be known as the NFL's best receiver but he was recently locked up. Colston should receive the max tender, TJ should be re-signed with Chad constantly in turmoil and I think Evans will be re-signed with Barfalo, but the other 2 have a legit shot at hitting the market.

The Packers are building a young group of wide receivers with Greg Jennings, James Jones and now Jordy Nelson all guys that have been in the league for 2 years or less. Driver should hit the market.

The Lions are strapped both financially and draft status(ly? :)) to Calvin Johnson. Roy said he wanted out this past off-season and clearly feels he's worthy of being a #1 target (and deservedly so.) No way he's retained by the Lions.

Finding 3-4 defensive ends is difficult to do, but I think you're right. While I think the 3-4 scheme is mostly dependent on the nose tackle, a lot of scouts say the ends make the system work. Ellis has been a good player for you guys for a while but Coleman has been nothing more than average. You guys will be fine for this year and probably even 2009, but DE is definitley a position of need heading into the future.

A position that hasn't received a lot of attention in this thread is receiver. Coles is good and Cotchery has upside, but I still think the Jets could use a guy to strike fear into the heart's of opposing defensive coordinators. I know I'd be none to happy if the Jets landed Michael Crabtree next April.

Ellis has been a worse 3-4 end then Coleman. If either needs to be replaced it's him.

If the Saints keep dragging their feet on resigning Colston I would give our 1st and 3rd for him in a second, I hate Coles and he won't be around much longer.

Ellis has been a worse 3-4 end then Coleman. If either needs to be replaced it's him.

If the Saints keep dragging their feet on resigning Colston I would give our 1st and 3rd for him in a second, I hate Coles and he won't be around much longer.

Coleman is just so one dimensional. I don't know, you probably see more of them than I do. Maybe it's because Ellis plays better against us.

Colston is a good receiver, but no where near worthy of that tender. There aren't 5 receivers in the NFL worth that tender and Colston isn't even top 10 at his position.

Coleman is just so one dimensional. I don't know, you probably see more of them than I do. Maybe it's because Ellis plays better against us.

Colston is a good receiver, but no where near worthy of that tender. There aren't 5 receivers in the NFL worth that tender and Colston isn't even top 10 at his position.

You are probably remembering Ellis from one of his couple of good seasons. 3-4 DE may be important, but I don't think it's the kind of spot you look at high dollar FAs or top draft picks unless there is a prototypical type guy there. Maybe like Carricker. The Dolphins going 3-4 isn't going to make this any easier. These teams are all looking for the same players, where a few years ago tweener DE/DTs would have been easier to come by.

I can't think of 10 WR's I would rather have especially considering he's only 25, and a 1st and a 3rd would be nothing to give up for a proven number 1 WR. Receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft and Colston will probably look even better this year with Shocky opening things up for him. I don't think there is any way they let him go though so it doesn't really matter.

You are probably remembering Ellis from one of his couple of good seasons. 3-4 DE may be important, but I don't think it's the kind of spot you look at high dollar FAs or top draft picks unless there is a prototypical type guy there. Maybe like Carricker. The Dolphins going 3-4 isn't going to make this any easier. These teams are all looking for the same players, where a few years ago tweener DE/DTs would have been easier to come by.

I do have images of Ellis playing at an above average level flashing in my mind as I think about him.

As for the importance of the DE in the 3-4, I suppose it depends on the coach and his preference. Look at the Patriots. They drafted Seymour,Warren and Wilfork in 3 out of 4 years and have built their 3-4 around those 3 for the past 5 plus years.

And you're right about players becoming more difficult to obtain. About 1/3 of the NFL teams are running a 3-4 and 3 of those teams are in our division.

I can't think of 10 WR's I would rather have especially considering he's only 25, and a 1st and a 3rd would be nothing to give up for a proven number 1 WR. Receiver is one of the hardest positions to draft and Colston will probably look even better this year with Shocky opening things up for him. I don't think there is any way they let him go though so it doesn't really matter.

Teams can win without great receivers, giving up a first round and third round selection for a guy that isn't even tops in the league is nuts.

Young receivers with bright futures that I'd rather have over Colston are: (In no particular order)

Braylon Edwards

Reggie Wayne (not real young, but a lot of years left)

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshal

Roy Williams

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Anquan Boldin

And that list doesn't even include the older guys I'd take over Colston in a trade for a 1st rounder. There are about 6 or 7 guys on that list as well.

Teams can win without great receivers, giving up a first round and third round selection for a guy that isn't even tops in the league is nuts.

Young receivers with bright futures that I'd rather have over Colston are: (In no particular order)

Braylon Edwards

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshal

Roy Williams

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Anquan Boldin

And that list doesn't even include the older guys I'd take over Colston in a trade for a 1st rounder. There are about 6 or 7 guys on that list as well.

No Ted Ginn Jr? ;)

Funny you say RB because it so happens that Steven Jackson is a potential FA, I doubt he actually hits the market, but just saying

I think the Rams plan on franchising him for a year & then getting someone else otherwise they would have done an extension by now. They've seen what happened to other teams (San Diego being a glaring exception) that gave long-term deals with mega-signing bonuses to RB's who have put in 5+ NFL seasons. If there's no salary cap, then it doesn't matter. But unless, like Tomlinson, he's a top-5 player at any position, you can't stick your team with a mega-salary at a position like RB, where mid-round picks, late-round picks, and FA's - all with enough talent - can fill the job almost as well (even if they don't become fantasy football studs).

So unless they bang out an extension before this season starts, I think they'll do the same thing that Indy did with Edgerrin James. Franchise him for a year (or even for 2 years if he's still all that & you have the cap space in 2010), and then let him hit free agency at age 28 going into his 9th NFL season.

Braylon Edwards

Andre Johnson

Brandon Marshal

Roy Williams

Calvin Johnson

Larry Fitzgerald

Anquan Boldin

We decided to convert Brad Smith from QB to WR instead of drafting Brandon Marshall in that spot. And we still have people here who think it was a smart/good pick.

I'd like to see another body added to the defensive end rotation. Coleman is solid but someone is going to have to take over for Ellis pretty soon. Other priorities include finding someone to pair with Harris for the long term and replacing TJ with a legit power runner.

Running back for sure... Sucks that we missed out on two potentiol big time rbs... Peterson and Mcfadden.. and we will be left with nothing...maybe beenie wells..

Drafting a RB in the top 5 is not usually a good move for a team.

Prior to McFadden, who I'll reserve judgment on until I see him against NFL defenders, the last 4 RB's to get taken in the top 5 were:

Reggie Bush (oh yeah, he's really lived up to his hype as the best RB prospect since Barry)

Ronnie Brown (going into year 4 still hasn't played a full NFL season)

Cadillac Williams (starting the year on PUP probably, and injured in each of his first 3 years)

Cedric Benson (already released by the Bears & no one wants him)

Yeah, Peterson had a stellar rookie season. And it's not to say they're in the same class of talent, but every single RB on Minnesota did well last year & Peterson himself had a handful of stinker games. With the way some have enshrined him in the HOF already, you'd think the guy does nothing but rip of 50-yard touchdowns on every carry & never had a sub-par game.

If the line is solid, burning a ridiculously high pick on a RB is unnecessary. The last team to do that, & win a superbowl with said RB, was the Ravens. Before that was the Bears (12 years into Payton's career & keep in mind there was no free agency or salary cap back then). Not coincidentally, those two teams are commonly thought of as possessing the two best defenses of all time. Absent those all-time-best defenses, neither of those two RB's would have rings either.

That doesn't mean it's BAD to have a player like that as the RB; far from it. But it doesn't assure the team of anything other than a fantasy football stud.

We decided to convert Brad Smith from QB to WR instead of drafting Brandon Marshall in that spot. And we still have people here who think it was a smart/good pick.

Although Brandon is an idiot that doesn't concern his career are livlihood, ever, he's got outstanding skills. I like Brad Smith and thing he can contribute to your team, but that's ridiculous.

Archived