Mangini annoyed with Kellen *cough*Browning Nagle*cough* Clemens

RSJ

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

In case you haven't heard, there's some quarterback stuff going on with the New York Jets.

The dying Brett Favre rumors aside, Chad Pennington sounds like he believes Kellen Clemens is the Jets' unspoken preference to win the training-camp battle.

Even if that's true, Clemens hasn't been cooperating.

Jets coach Eric Mangini conceded Clemens has been shaky to start camp. Clemens threw another interception Sunday in 11-on-11 drills. He has tossed one every day so far.

Pennington hasn't thrown any.

"You never want to see mistakes," Mangini said during Sunday's press conference. "You spend a long time working on making sure there aren't mistakes. But there's been many mistakes.

"The one mistake you can't have is you can't turn the ball over. Running backs can't fumble. Receivers can't fumble. Quarterbacks need to make good decisions. It's the risk-reward we talk about.

"That makes me even more annoyed."

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wouldn't say that Mangini is in love with Chad by any stretch. If anything, I think he's not in love with him and is pissed off at KC for even making this a race. I think deep down, EM wants KC to be his man, but KC's looking like dookie.

The reason I know Mangini likes Chad is because of how long he stuck by him last season. He should have benched him 3 games earlier than he did. In fact he should never have went with an injured Pennington to begin with.

He loves the guy.

I wouldn't say that Mangini is in love with Chad by any stretch. If anything, I think he's not in love with him and is pissed off at KC for even making this a race. I think deep down, EM wants KC to be his man, but KC's looking like dookie.

Exactly! I don't think anyone is "In love" with Chad (besides ecurb). But at this point he gives the team the best chance to win the most games. Clemens has shown me nothing at all so far in his short career.

The reason I know Mangini likes Chad is because of how long he stuck by him last season. He should have benched him 3 games earlier than he did. In fact he should never have went with an injured Pennington to begin with.

He loves the guy.

Yeah because Clemens came in and went 8-2, right?

this sounds like someone is trying to stir the sh!t around there. We're not even a week into camp. Let's relax.

I just get the sinking feeling that the media is playing up the "Clemens struggling and Penny doing well" situation. The media wants a circus. They want something to write about everyday. And how many of these guys are close to Chad......

Just take it all with a grain of salt.

Chad is the man. With his red jersey on.

What a piece of f###ing s### he is.

Exactly, lets see how these two hold up when there are live bullets being fired at them.

Chad seems to be doing just enough, not taking any risks, and not risking any mistakes, basically what we've seen out of him the last two years.

Give Kellen some credit, he's trying to show he can make the big play, I firmly think he will improve as camp progresses over the next month, at least I hope that is the case.

How does Mangini not love him? He continues to lean on him year after year and even let him play hurt instead of giving Kellen experience last season...

Mangini loves Chad, it is obvious....

Exactly, lets see how these two hold up when there are live bullets being fired at them.

Chad seems to be doing just enough, not taking any risks, and not risking any mistakes, basically what we've seen out of him the last two years.

Give Kellen some credit, he's trying to show he can make the big play, I firmly think he will improve as camp progresses over the next month, at least I hope that is the case.

I thought so too, until I read this courtesy of the dailey news.

After a slow start, Pennington has looked sharp in recent practices, seemingly showing more velocity than in the past. He'll never have a big arm, but he tweaked his mechanics in the offseason, and maybe he is starting to see the dividends. He ended the morning practice with a 68-yard touchdown pass to Brad Smith.

Pennington is so determined to improve his mechanics that he holds clandestine throwing sessions at night. On Thursday, around 8:30, he repaired to a practice field and fired 40 passes to a couple of staffers. He threw until it was dark.

Ever the perfectionist, Pennington said he is still "not as consistent as I want to be." But he remains a fan favorite.

As he signed autographs after practice, he was drawn into a conversation about Favre. Pennington, in a playful mood, reminded the fans that he kicked Favre's butt the last time he faced the Packers - a 38-10 victory at Lambeau Field in 2006. His audience laughed.

Clemens throws have also been improving, his descision making needs some work still, but again, 3 days of TC, it could turn either way really fast.

Also, Penny keeps sticking with the underneathe routes, whats his longest completion been 20yds give or take a few? He's playing to win the practices, not for when it counts

Lets wait till the 7th to begin making decisions in either of these two, when defenses start game planning them and thier weaknesses (like stacking 8 in the box to prevent the check down passes)

How does Mangini not love him? He continues to lean on him year after year and even let him play hurt instead of giving Kellen experience last season...

Mangini loves Chad, it is obvious....

Using the term "Love" is waaaaay too strong. Mangini is faced with a very bad situation and the most critical position on the field. He has to make the best out of the crappy hand he's been dealt. I think deep down, he wants a young guy Clemens to "get it" and take over this team, but KC isn't helping the situation. Meanwhile, he has a guy like CP who has experience and yes, some good runs from time to time, but doesn't have the arm or skills for the offense.

Mangini has himself a mess. I guess we know where we're drafting our getting FAs at next year.

He loves the guy.

Unless they were dragging their feet because they knew from last year's camp that KC wasn't ready. I mean, if the controls were handed over to him last year like they were, and we STILL have a qb competition, doesn't that alone say the staff has some issues with KC as the starter? How do you go from the vet to the new kid half way through a season, only to return to a competition between the vet and the kid the following camp?

Nobody is really talking about this here, am I the only one who sees a serious problem with this?

Jets fans try to make everything about Chad. how he sucks etc. And maybe that's fair.

But statistically, anectdotally, daily - anyway you want to look at it - Clemens actually sucks worse than Chad. He has a better arm, that's about it.

Everyone seems to believe the "anyone but Chad" theory of who should be the QB - but the big picture this team doesn't need a Joe Montana or a Brett Farve. Yeah it would be nice to have someone to carry the team to a trophy - but there is a long standing history of teams with excellent run games and run defenses going on playoff runs with nothing more than a manager at QB. When the weather is bad no one is scoring 35 plus points through the air, the Jets don't need a miracle worker. they need a guy who will manage, not make bad mistakes, heck maybe throw in a Play action fake or too. That guy sounds like Chad - maybe not 2007 Chad but if 2006 or 2004 Chad shows up that's good enough for 10 or 11 wins and playoffs. Whatever happens after that is gravy... but Herm was right about one thing you gotta get to the dance first, planning on a 14 win season and Home field adv all the way to SB isn't realistic, not with NE in the division.

Sad truth is almost every team in the AFC would be shooting for a wild card if they playd in the division with a HOF QB, HOF WR and HOF HC on the same squad. that's life, just because you wish it was different doesn't make it so.

Best case for Jets is a replay of 2006 and a wild card game in Gillette - only this time with a better defense and a better running game. Any given sunday, the Jets could win that game.

Unless they were dragging their feet because they knew from last year's camp that KC wasn't ready. I mean, if the controls were handed over to him last year like they were, and we STILL have a qb competition, doesn't that alone say the staff has some issues with KC as the starter? How do you go from the vet to the new kid half way through a season, only to return to a competition between the vet and the kid the following camp?

Nobody is really talking about this here, am I the only one who sees a serious problem with this?

That is a good point. Pehaps it's because Clemens made some of the worse decisions for a JEts QB since Bubby Brister was the QB? Clemens just showed me nothing last year and Chad was hurt (yes I know again) Still atleast Chad can manage a game and give us a chance to win.

Clemens throws have also been improving, his descision making needs some work still, but again, 3 days of TC, it could turn either way really fast.

Also, Penny keeps sticking with the underneathe routes, whats his longest completion been 20yds give or take a few? He's playing to win the practices, not for when it counts

Lets wait till the 7th to begin making decisions in either of these two, when defenses start game planning them and thier weaknesses (like stacking 8 in the box to prevent the check down passes)

Actually Chad ended Saturdays morning practice with slant over the middle to Brad Smith that went for 68 yards.

the fact there is a QB competition in 08 means Clemens sucks. it's that simple. he could have locked down that job, but he didn't and it's not just because he's young.

I learned everything I needed to know about Kellen Clemens in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Big stage, no pressure he choked. He looked worse than Chad on his worse day. He didn't have to beat Dallas to impress me, just look like a pro. He didn't look like a pro, he looked like Bollinger.

And yes we can say the OL sucked, and the 08 team sucked and every other excuse. but the way i see it big game players show up in big games. Excuses are for losers. Clemens isn't a big game player and he looked scared doing it. It happens, most college QBs fail trying to do it in the NFL.

You don't get second, third, fourth auditions in this league. Clemens is lucky b/c of where he was drafted, if he was drafted lower, he'd be on his 2nd team by now.

the fact there is a QB competition in 08 means Clemens sucks. it's that simple. he could have locked down that job, but he didn't and it's not just because he's young.

I learned everything I needed to know about Kellen Clemens in Dallas on Thanksgiving. Big stage, no pressure he choked. He looked worse than Chad on his worse day. He didn't have to beat Dallas to impress me, just look like a pro. He didn't look like a pro, he looked like Bollinger.

And yes we can say the OL sucked, and the 08 team sucked and every other excuse. but the way i see it big game players show up in big games. Excuses are for losers. Clemens isn't a big game player and he looked scared doing it. It happens, most college QBs fail trying to do it in the NFL.

You don't get second, third, fourth auditions in this league. Clemens is lucky b/c of where he was drafted, if he was drafted lower, he'd be on his 2nd team by now.

You mean the same thanksgiving day game where they had to travel on four days rest to Dallas and he had to stand behind that atrocious line against one of the better defenses in the league in both pass rushing, where the running backs combined for 60 yds on 20 attempts and he had an average of about a second to throw and the defense couldnt stop the run or get to the QB the entire night.

Is that the Dallas game you mean?

You dont judge a QB making his fourth start on that, any QB would have had problems under those circumstances. I'm not saying he is the next great QB, but give him a little more time to be judged, he's got the potential to be decent in the league

Basing your opinion on one game is a very rational way to look at it:rolleyes:.

Can people at least try to wait until we have a bigger sample size to judge. Apparently both QBs have been garbage so far. Nobody can suddenly say Chad's the favorite now just because he's been a little less garbage than Clemens. Everybody knows Mangini's not gonna make a decision till at least around the 2nd preseason game so what happens in the first week of training camp isn't gonna be the deciding factor.

I agree with 100% of your last two posts. I have stayed far away from this topic all offseason because Jets fans are quite frankly very, very unfair to Pennington. We are talking about a QB who has had more success than 90% of the QB's to ever wear green and white and they act like he has held the team back. That's why this team fails time and time again and why players need to leave here to win a super bowl.

Basing your opinion on one game is a very rational way to look at it:rolleyes:.

Can people at least try to wait until we have a bigger sample size to judge. Apparently both QBs have been garbage so far. Nobody can suddenly say Chad's the favorite now just because he's been a little less garbage than Clemens. Everybody knows Mangini's not gonna make a decision till at least around the 2nd preseason game so what happens in the first week of training camp isn't gonna be the deciding factor.

A half of a season isn't a big enough sample? Looking worse than Brodie Croyle in a head to head game against the worst defense in the league by far isn't enough of a sample? You guys are grasping at straws here.

You mean the same thanksgiving day game where they had to travel on four days rest to Dallas and he had to stand behind that atrocious line against one of the better defenses in the league in both pass rushing, where the running backs combined for 60 yds on 20 attempts and he had an average of about a second to throw and the defense couldnt stop the run or get to the QB the entire night.

Is that the Dallas game you mean?

You dont judge a QB making his fourth start on that, any QB would have had problems under those circumstances. I'm not saying he is the next great QB, but give him a little more time to be judged, he's got the potential to be decent in the league

Well, he did have half a season to start and we are back to a competition with the guy who he originally took the spot from, doesn't that say something?

A half of a season isn't a big enough sample? Looking worse than Brodie Croyle in a head to head game against the worst defense in the league by far isn't enough of a sample? You guys are grasping at straws here.

Would you have had the same reaction to Peyton or Aikman in their first years when they were far worse than Clemens was over the course of a full season?

does anyone actually read the training camp reports? chadwick is "winning" the qb competition with dump-offs and 3 yd slants - HE IS DUMPING THE BALL OFF IN FREAKING PRACTICE. what happens when a team actually gameplans for him? these dump offs that work in practice do not work in games, we clearly saw that last season.

how can so many people be so blind when it comes to chads (in)ability to play QB at the NFL level?

so clemens throws 1 pick/day in practice, that is what practice is for. at least he tries to get the ball down the field. that is why it is called practice.

it's the 1st week of training camp and chadwick is already afraid to throw the ball down the field. yep, this is going to be a real exciting season.

Archived