Chad really does have more zip on the ball.

Jetkid94

I read na article on jets.com and jerrich cotchery said he felt more zip on penningtons throws, and that he even felt the difference in warmups.

apparently Chad really did change his mechanics and its making him better, considering he threw a 30 yard touchdown.

this is good to know.

and i just read he had 2 other throws that were 30+ yards.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
James Dearth? Are you kidding me? :rl:

Hey, at least my guy will be playing for the Jets this season. Heck at least he'll be playing at all this season.

James Dearth > Brett Favre

The NFL won't let James Dearth play QB because they know he'd just be too good, it would remove the competitive nature of the sport.

Dearth is the man, he's going to be unleashed in 08, you'll see.

I don't see why anyone is remotely surprised Chad has a little more on his throws this year.

In 2005 he re-injured his arm. In 2006 he was well enough to play, but the arm clearly still hadn't retured to full strength. In 2007 it had returned to full strength, but the Oline could provide enough protection for him to show it off. This year, with the arm healthy for a full year, he no doubt worked it out to provide a little more velocity and distance.

Everyone knows it takes two years to fully come back from an arm injury. Ask any baseball pitcher. The second year was 2007, this offseason he works on strengthening it further.

I don't see why anyone is remotely surprised Chad has a little more on his throws this year.

In 2005 he re-injured his arm. In 2006 he was well enough to play, but the arm clearly still hadn't retured to full strength. In 2007 it had returned to full strength, but the Oline could provide enough protection for him to show it off. This year, with the arm healthy for a full year, he no doubt worked it out to provide a little more velocity and distance.

Everyone knows it takes two years to fully come back from an arm injury. Ask any baseball pitcher. The second year was 2007, this offseason he works on strengthening it further.

Again. When I see it, I'll believe it.

Until then, this isn't a story.

As SoFlaJets would say:

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

why is he toturing me anyway? After I gave him his first ever post a-the weak nom he goes and puts James Frickin Dearth in his sig-that guy is KILLING this team...Bring back Brad Banta PLEASE

why is he toturing me anyway? After I gave him his first ever post a-the weak nom he goes and puts James Frickin Dearth in his sig-that guy is KILLING this team...Bring back Brad Banta PLEASE

You nommed him for that? I gave him such an easy set up post, haha.

By the way, James Dearth is the man that will solve our quarterback problems. He will end all this discussion. People doubt Mangini after last year, but it's all part of the plan. He has been saving his secret weapon for when he needs it, to end all doubts, you will see James Dearth win the MVP. Quote me on that.

:)

We hear the same thing every offseason. I don't buy it. Of course Cotchery is going to be nice about it, he's not going to say I went to Wayne Chrebet's restaurant and came back while waiting for the ball to get to me.

Clemens will be the starter.

I read na article on jets.com and jerrich cotchery said he felt more zip on penningtons throws, and that he even felt the difference in warmups.

apparently Chad really did change his mechanics and its making him better, considering he threw a 30 yard touchdown. this is good to know.

and i just read he had 2 other throws that were 30+ yards.

Good for Chad. Throwing the ball 30 yards must have been hard for him.

Sorry as much as I'd like to believe this, Chad did not have much if any zip on the ball last year.

Hopefuly the work he did on his mechanics this off season will help him have a some zip, any zip.

Now if he would only wear zips, imagine what that would do for him. :P

Sorry as much as I'd like to believe this, Chad did not have much if any zip on the ball last year.

Hopefuly the work he did on his mechanics this off season will help him have a some zip, any zip.

Now if he would only wear zips, imagine what that would do for him. :P

well last year he got hurt in week one and i had a bad ankle and its hard to throw with that. Chad is a jerk he tried to be a man last year play injuried but in the end he just hurt the team more. He should have more zip been woking on that for like 5 years.

Hey, at least my guy will be playing for the Jets this season. Heck at least he'll be playing at all this season.

James Dearth > Brett Favre

The NFL won't let James Dearth play QB because they know he'd just be too good, it would remove the competitive nature of the sport.

Dearth is the man, he's going to be unleashed in 08, you'll see.

he still would throw a better deep ball I bet... ;)

Of course he had "zip." First of all, he sets the bar really low, since we are just comparing him to his ****ty self. Compared to any other NFL QB, Chad's "zip" is a below average pass.

Secondly, it's preseason. He ALWAYS has this "zip" after a bye week, after a game off if due to non season ending injury, or at the beginning of a season. By Week 3 his arm will be shot and all we will see are the crappy floaters as usual. Remember last year it was karate, the year before that it's that he was coming back from injury, and the year before that was mechanics being fixed.

Does anybody really believe that at this stage in Pennington's career it is mechanics? Also I've got news for you guys, it's far easier to be "accurate" when you're throwing a floater that the reciever can adjust to, and when the reciever has been standing in place. It is much harder, and also much more productive, when you can match up where someone will be in advance and throw a dart to that spot, so that they catch it in stride and don't get killed and can also do something wiht the ball. People say big plays are lucky or flukes, but you can sure get a lot more flukes when you actually give someone the chance to do it. Ask Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, or Romo and TO. These guys throw and catch in stride and then make big plays happen. But if these two played with Chad, they would be mediocre at best.

Of course he had "zip." First of all, he sets the bar really low, since we are just comparing him to his ****ty self. Compared to any other NFL QB, Chad's "zip" is a below average pass.

Secondly, it's preseason. He ALWAYS has this "zip" after a bye week, after a game off if due to non season ending injury, or at the beginning of a season. By Week 3 his arm will be shot and all we will see are the crappy floaters as usual. Remember last year it was karate, the year before that it's that he was coming back from injury, and the year before that was mechanics being fixed.

Does anybody really believe that at this stage in Pennington's career it is mechanics? Also I've got news for you guys, it's far easier to be "accurate" when you're throwing a floater that the reciever can adjust to, and when the reciever has been standing in place. It is much harder, and also much more productive, when you can match up where someone will be in advance and throw a dart to that spot, so that they catch it in stride and don't get killed and can also do something wiht the ball. People say big plays are lucky or flukes, but you can sure get a lot more flukes when you actually give someone the chance to do it. Ask Joe Montana and Jerry Rice, or Romo and TO. These guys throw and catch in stride and then make big plays happen. But if these two played with Chad, they would be mediocre at best.

In all fairness, although your points are well taken, he did have torn ligaments in his ankle. Try to throw something with torn ligaments in your ankle and see if you have zip.

Now I don't agree about your reasoning that would make Rice or TO mediocre. They'd be good with any QB.

You nommed him for that? I gave him such an easy set up post, haha.

By the way, James Dearth is the man that will solve our quarterback problems. He will end all this discussion. People doubt Mangini after last year, but it's all part of the plan. He has been saving his secret weapon for when he needs it, to end all doubts, you will see James Dearth win the MVP. Quote me on that.

:)

no I nommed him for the Picard picture..it was perfect

Cotchery is a nice guy and a good teammate. I'd like to hear outside confirmation. Like after the first opposing DB to do a pick 6 on Chad happens.

"Wow. Chad's arm is stronger. I had to move a little quicker to step in front of his pass than in the past".

Okay, so we don't have video evidence that Chad's arm is stronger, so let's all post how we can disregard it. Fine. Maybe Cotch is just putting in a good word to help out a teammate, it's happened before.

But consider this. In baseball, throwing arm injuries frequently end careers, for both pitchers and infielders. Of those baseball players who do come back from serious arm injury, just about all of them agree that the arm is not really full strength until the second year they return. With Chad's arm injured in 2005 and with 2006 as the year he returned not quite full strength, that leaves 2007 as his full strength year. In point of fact, Chad did make throws in 2007 that he would not have made in 2006, such as the 50 yard bomb to Coles in Cincy and a similar bomb to McCareins in the preseason which McCareins dropped. The line sucked and he had a bad year, but arm strength was not the reason for the dropoff from 2006 to 2007.

With all the various trainers and throwing coaches available, I would expect

Chad to embark on an offseason program to strengthen the arm, and he has announced he had done so. We shouldn't be surprised that he has a little more on the ball this year than previously. You can't improve performance in an arm that is healing from an injury-it has to be healed first, then progress can be made.

Okay, so we don't have video evidence that Chad's arm is stronger, so let's all post how we can disregard it. Fine. Maybe Cotch is just putting in a good word to help out a teammate, it's happened before.

But consider this. In baseball, throwing arm injuries frequently end careers, for both pitchers and infielders. Of those baseball players who do come back from serious arm injury, just about all of them agree that the arm is not really full strength until the second year they return. With Chad's arm injured in 2005 and with 2006 as the year he returned not quite full strength, that leaves 2007 as his full strength year. In point of fact, Chad did make throws in 2007 that he would not have made in 2006, such as the 50 yard bomb to Coles in Cincy and a similar bomb to McCareins in the preseason which McCareins dropped. The line sucked and he had a bad year, but arm strength was not the reason for the dropoff from 2006 to 2007.

With all the various trainers and throwing coaches available, I would expect

Chad to embark on an offseason program to strengthen the arm, and he has announced he had done so. We shouldn't be surprised that he has a little more on the ball this year than previously. You can't improve performance in an arm that is healing from an injury-it has to be healed first, then progress can be made.

If Chad's arm was stronger in '07 then he is not so smart and not the great decision maker he's made out to be. I saw quite a few dying quails picked off on the sidelines and they weren't even deep outs.

Archived