Chris (Mad Dog) Russo out at WFAN

TaborJet

Chris (Mad Dog) Russo out at WFAN

BY BOB RAISSMAN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, August 14th 2008, 7:27 PM

alg_russo-randolph.jpg

Chris Russo (r.) and Mike Francesa (l.) - shown here with then-Mets manager Willie Randolph - launched WFAN's popular "Mike and the Mad Dog Show" on Sept. 5, 1989.

amd_maddog-1992.jpg

Russo, pictured in 1992, is known for his malapropisms and on-air tirades.

WFAN announced Thursday that it has released Chris (Mad Dog) Russo from his contract.

This means the end of his 20-year partnership with Mike Francesa on the highly successful

For me at least this is a sad day.

I was one of Russo's final interns when he did weekend sports at WMCA and he was one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

Say what you want, Mike and The Mad Dog have carved their place in New York Radio history

Best of luck to Chris.

I guess that Post (I think it was the Post) article saying they wouldn't be back together after their vacations wasn't as far fetched as everyone wanted us to believe.

Say what you want but Mike and the Mad Dog's baseball shows were incredible. Back in the Yankees World Series years it was fun. Chris rooting against the Yankees, Francesca swearing the Yankees were cruising to another championship.

It is a shame that Mad Dog doesn't get to do one final show to say goodbye. They owe him that much in my opinion.

I guess that Post (I think it was the Post) article saying they wouldn't be back together after their vacations wasn't as far fetched as everyone wanted us to believe.

Say what you want but Mike and the Mad Dog's baseball shows were incredible. Back in the Yankees World Series years it was fun. Chris rooting against the Yankees, Francesca swearing the Yankees were cruising to another championship.

It is a shame that Mad Dog doesn't get to do one final show to say goodbye. They owe him that much in my opinion.

They don't owe him a thing.... and I do not dislike him. They paid him a fortune.

Thank god. These 2 loud mouths are the worst. I have a hard time listening to sports talk by guys who obviously never played any sport. I could tolerate their baseball stuff....but that's about it. and even that went down hill.

I'd agree especially after 18 years. Radio is strange that way. Not often do you hear a radio host give a farewell show. On the other hand, I guess that's because most of them get fired. :-s

Thank god. These 2 loud mouths are the worst. I have a hard time listening to sports talk by guys who obviously never played any sport. I could tolerate their baseball stuff....but that's about it. and even that went down hill.

Even the biggest skeptic has to admit Mike knows his football, and certainly has contacts in football.

Nobody owes anything squat. I get it. But a farewell show would have been nice for the loyal listeners.

I agree with that. I think with anything like this you build a loyal fanbase,it's those people who are owed something...at least a goodbye.

I agree with that. I think with anything like this you build a loyal fanbase,it's those people who are owed something...at least a goodbye.

Exactly.

Hey on an unrelated side note I just made a thread for you in the Lounge. You have until midnight, lol.

Even the biggest skeptic has to admit Mike knows his football, and certainly has contacts in football.

Are you kidding me?

His sources in the NFL circle clearly is Parcells, which totally blows any objectivity that Mike has.

The fact that he snooted his nose at Leon Hess and tehe Jets pre-Parcells, and then began referringt "Mr Hess", during parcells, was a clear slap at Jet fans as well as demonstrative of his puppy love with Parcells.

Mike is pompous, arrogant and treats callers with disdain if they don't agree with his opinion.

THAT, does not make for "knowing' football.

Russo, for as buffoonish as he was at times, at least kept Mike somewhat honest. Forget that now.

This was obviously a power play by Francessa where he told FAN take me or Russo, not both. Their choice.

Im glad Francesa stayed.. He has good NFL contacts and even though you guys don't like him, he is knowledgeable in football.

You have completely lost creditablility with me!

It's his staff at both the syndicated radio show on Sundays & the "Miked-Up" show on Sunday nights that do most of the work for him.

On the "Mike & the Maddog" show, he was like a little boy who needed someone to back him up - ala Chris Russo. Hell, there had been days that they spent the whole 4-hours discussing films - on a SPORTS SHOW!!

Francesa's only reason for staying is that he was an original mainstay at WFAN, unlike Russo.

I don't believe he will succeed - at one point 20-years ago, his ratings were so low as a solo that they moved him to the 2:00AM-6:00AM slot for over a year!

Also, If Chris Russo is moving to Serius - It was a Mel Karmazin move, who owns both Serius/XM & WFAN...

Archived