Cimini On Gholston

BroadwayJ667

Rookie outside linebacker Vernon Gholston made quite an impression Saturday night on the man who blocked him.

"I tell you what," Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels said after the game, "he's ripped."

Unfortunately for Gholston and the Jets, the NFL isn't a Mr. America contest.

Gholston, the No. 6 overall pick, is struggling mightily. Before the draft, he awed scouts with his freakish speed - 4.58 in the 40-yard dash - but he isn't playing fast because he appears tentative. He's learning a new position and he fell behind after missing most of spring drills because of school obligations, which may explain the slow start. The Jets hope that's all it is.

In six plays with the starting defense and 24 with the second team, the former Ohio State standout recorded only two solo tackles (one was a push-out) and no quarterback pressures in the Jets' 13-10 loss to the Redskins. He was used in two roles - a down lineman on passing downs and an outside linebacker in the base defense, often dropping into coverage.

Afterward, Gholston showed no discouragement.

"I felt a lot more comfortable out there," said Gholston, who also didn't make any impact plays in the first game in Cleveland. "I'm starting to see the bigger picture a little more. ... Once I got to the point where I can stop thinking about everything, and do it naturally, I expect to be a lot better."

In the first quarter, from the Jets' 19, Gholston got caught out of position on a draw play, resulting in a 10-yard gain. He admitted that he "tried to stick my nose in the B gap instead of staying outside. Guys in this league are good, and when they see that, they take advantage of you."

Getting schooled by Samuels is no crime; he's one of the best tackles in the league.

"He's actually a stout linebacker," Samuels said. "He didn't get by me in the passing game, but every time I blocked him I felt his power. He's definitely going to have a good season."

The Jets hope he's right.

JONES-ING FOR ACTION: RB Thomas Jones has received a surprisingly small workload in two games - six carries for 18 yards. Presumably, he'll receive most of the reps Saturday night against the Giants. ... FB Tony Richardson made his presence felt with two big blocks in the running game. ... Rookie CB Dwight Lowery, a fourth-round pick from San Jose State, enjoyed another solid outing and could be poised to climb the depth chart.

ok so i was deceptive with the title. hehe

anyway, people are expecting too much from him too soon.

nothing is like game experience and so far he has none, he has a few pre-season snaps, and is confused. it's only because he's thinking while on the field.

you can see it, "do i cover now?" "am i backside contain?", "do i straight rush?"

once it becomes instinctual to him, he will look completely different

Dude, if you want to call gholston a bust that's fine, but don't make up ****. Cimini is doom and gloom enough without you.

the fact is chris samuels in the article thinks gholston is going to have a good season so you might try to find better material to make your point.

Rookie outside linebacker Vernon Gholston made quite an impression Saturday night on the man who blocked him.

"I tell you what," Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels said after the game, "he's ripped."

Unfortunately for Gholston and the Jets, the NFL isn't a Mr. America contest.

Gholston, the No. 6 overall pick, is struggling mightily. Before the draft, he awed scouts with his freakish speed - 4.58 in the 40-yard dash - but he isn't playing fast because he appears tentative. He's learning a new position and he fell behind after missing most of spring drills because of school obligations, which may explain the slow start. The Jets hope that's all it is.

In six plays with the starting defense and 24 with the second team, the former Ohio State standout recorded only two solo tackles (one was a push-out) and no quarterback pressures in the Jets' 13-10 loss to the Redskins. He was used in two roles - a down lineman on passing downs and an outside linebacker in the base defense, often dropping into coverage.

Afterward, Gholston showed no discouragement.

"I felt a lot more comfortable out there," said Gholston, who also didn't make any impact plays in the first game in Cleveland. "I'm starting to see the bigger picture a little more. ... Once I got to the point where I can stop thinking about everything, and do it naturally, I expect to be a lot better."

In the first quarter, from the Jets' 19, Gholston got caught out of position on a draw play, resulting in a 10-yard gain. He admitted that he "tried to stick my nose in the B gap instead of staying outside. Guys in this league are good, and when they see that, they take advantage of you."

Getting schooled by Samuels is no crime; he's one of the best tackles in the league.

"He's actually a stout linebacker," Samuels said. "He didn't get by me in the passing game, but every time I blocked him I felt his power. He's definitely going to have a good season."

The Jets hope he's right.

JONES-ING FOR ACTION: RB Thomas Jones has received a surprisingly small workload in two games - six carries for 18 yards. Presumably, he'll receive most of the reps Saturday night against the Giants. ... FB Tony Richardson made his presence felt with two big blocks in the running game. ... Rookie CB Dwight Lowery, a fourth-round pick from San Jose State, enjoyed another solid outing and could be poised to climb the depth chart.

Cimini is just chosing his words to get people to read the article...Chris Samuels seems to think he has the power to play in the NFL and have a good season. Hopefully, he's spot on.

Dude, if you want to call gholston a bust that's fine, but don't make up ****. Cimini is doom and gloom enough without you.

the fact is chris samuels in the article thinks gholston is going to have a good season so you might try to find better material to make your point.

We must have hit reply at the same time. Good point. ;)

I changed the title. Cimini takes enough abuse for what he writes without us adding to it.

:-P

Gholston is not a bust.The media is looking for something negative to knock the NYJETS on.

Cimini is a douche.Whats it matter what he says anyway.

I'm not gonna make the same mistake I did with herm edwards and be the last guy left on the bandwagon.

the jury is out 1580. gholston is a bust. he's had 2 preseason games, plus training camp not to even mention minicamp to prove himself otherwise and he hasn't.

c'mon man you know cimini is thinking it, one because he's a douche, and two he doesn't have the balls to say it

Then it should read: The Amazing Karnak - "Cimini Really Thinks Gholston Is a Bust No Matter What He Writes in His Blog" Film at 11.

I'm not gonna make the same mistake I did with herm edwards and be the last guy left on the bandwagon.

the jury is out 1580. gholston is a bust. he's had 2 preseason games, plus training camp not to even mention minicamp to prove himself otherwise and he hasn't.

Enable your rep so I can paint you red!! :cussing:

Dude...Wait till he gets comfortable at the position... He's going to wreck some havoc once he does. I can almost guarantee it.

If you ask Gholston to do a thousand different things, you are going to get inconsistent results, especially right now as a rookie in the NFL

but - if the Jets say to Vernon Gholston, listen this year your only job on gameday is to get that QB - that's how he will be able to contribute, and in a very real way. He doesn't need to beat the other team's LT, PACE or Thomas could take that role, move VG around having him go against guards and right tackles (like Justin tuck in Spagnolo's D) that could be instant game impact.

right now they are putting him through the full paces, doing a good job trying to get him up to speed - but really if they use him as a sitautional pass rusher he should be able to produce... if not a ton of sacks then at least hurries

If you ask Gholston to do a thousand different things, you are going to get inconsistent results, especially right now as a rookie in the NFL

but - if the Jets say to Vernon Gholston, listen this year your only job on gameday is to get that QB - that's how he will be able to contribute, and in a very real way. He doesn't need to beat the other team's LT, PACE or Thomas could take that role, move VG around having him go against guards and right tackles (like Justin tuck in Spagnolo's D) that could be instant game impact.

right now they are putting him through the full paces, doing a good job trying to get him up to speed - but really if they use him as a sitautional pass rusher he should be able to produce... if not a ton of sacks then at least hurries

My sentiment exactly. They'll drown the kid now and let him do what he knows how to do (rushing the QB) when the season rolls around.

Once he is comfortable later this year or even next year, that is when we'll see if he can do more than just rush the QB.

Abraham was a situational pass rusher most of his first year too...

if the Jets say to Vernon Gholston, listen this year your only job on gameday is to get that QB - that's how he will be able to contribute, and in a very real way. He doesn't need to beat the other team's LT, PACE or Thomas could take that role, move VG around having him go against guards and right tackles (like Justin tuck in Spagnolo's D) that could be instant game impact.

Exactly. And with a stable of LB's this year, that type of utilization shouldn't be a problem.

Rookies have to make a transition to the NFL. Rookies who miss a lot of meetings/mini-camps have a tougher climb. Rookies asked to change positions face additional challenges. Rookies drafted #6 overall in NY are under the microscope.

Expect him to contribute as a situation pass rusher early, maybe even with his hand on the ground, and to get better as the season wears on. Next year is when we can legitimately start discussing whether he's the real deal or the B word.

Archived