article: Jets not worried about Gholston's poor preseason

Kentucky Jet

New York Jets not worried about Gholston's poor preseason

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Friday August 29, 2008, 9:24 PM

The Jets insist there is nothing to be alarmed about with the subpar play of rookie linebacker Vernon Gholston. They say he's woefully behind after missing all of the offseason program because he couldn't report until the semester was over at Ohio State, and he'll blossom as soon as he gets up to speed.

There's one problem, however, with that argument.

Two seasons ago, center Nick Mangold, also an Ohio State product, faced the same dilemma and he had an outstanding rookie season and is now regarded as one of the rising stars at his position.

And center, like the linebacker/defensive end position played by Gholston, is a thinking man's position. Mangold had to learn to read complicated and ever-changing defensive fronts and make all the line calls. It was no easy task for a rookie.

Gholston, drafted sixth overall and signed to a five-year, $32 million contract that includes $21 million guaranteed, had yet another underwhelming performance in the Jets' 27-20 victory over the Eagles on Thursday night at Lincoln Financial Field.

And Gholston was going against the Eagles' backups, namely right tackle Winston Justice, who was a human turnstile in the Giants' record-setting 12-sack game against the Eagles last season.

The 6-3, 264-pound Gholston was credited with three tackles in three quarters (roughly 40 plays) against the Eagles' subs. He missed two tackles, couldn't keep containment on several running plays and had no sacks. He did force Justice into a holding penalty.

"It's frustrating," Gholston said. "You have that rookie mind-set. You're running around trying to do everything right but when you think too much, that's when you make mistakes. After the first couple of quarters, I had to tell myself to settle down, play what I'm supposed to play and do what I've always done.

"You look at (no sacks in the preseason), but I don't worry about it too much. The sacks will come. For me, it's just going out there and making sure I know what to do. Once I do that, I'll be able to play full speed."

In college, Gholston played with his hand on the ground as a defensive end in a 4-3 scheme. Even so, it appears he would be further along in the 3-4 alignment on pure athletic ability alone.

In the 3-4 scheme, there are certain keys and techniques that are completely different from the traditional 4-3 defense. You must also know where your help is. Gholston said he finds himself thinking for that split second and by then it's too late. He seems uncomfortable in pass coverage.

"I think Vernon really benefited from that playing time," said Mangini of the Eagles game. "As he gets more reps, his production has improved."

Gholston says he's virtually learning a new game.

"Now when you see blockers coming at you, instead of going underneath them, you have to stay outside of them," he said. "Whereas things were a natural reaction for you (in college), now you have to correct yourself, so to speak."

There were questions about Gholston coming out of college. Some labeled him a "workout wonder" and claim most of his 14 sacks in his senior season came in bunches. Also, critics said he took plays off.

The good news is, with the emergence of free-agent linebacker Calvin Pace, Gholston won't be counted on as much in the early going, giving him more time to develop. And the other starting outside linebacker, Byran Thomas, should be better this season.

"I think once the regular season gets here and we have a certain game plan, I'll have a more definitive idea of where I'm suppose to be," Gholston said. "The important thing is that I really believe that I'm getting better."

There's one problem, however, with that argument.

Two seasons ago, center Nick Mangold, also an Ohio State product, faced the same dilemma and he had an outstanding rookie season and is now regarded as one of the rising stars at his position.

And center, like the linebacker/defensive end position played by Gholston, is a thinking man's position. Mangold had to learn to read complicated and ever-changing defensive fronts and make all the line calls. It was no easy task for a rookie.

Dave Hutchinson can suck my dick.

First of all, every human being is different. Just because one guy gets it fast, doesn't mean everyone's suposed to get it that fast. People learn at their own paces.

Secondly, Mangold had the added advantage of lining up next to Pete Kendall, a 10 year veteran with a lot of center experience to help him with the OL calls and other mental aspects of the game. And he was playing the position he played in college. He could revert to his college habits as a rookie and not look bad as a result. Goulston doesn't have any of those advantages.

Vernon is learning a new position in a new defensive scheme. He has to understand his role respective to others in a system he's not familiar with. He's learning a new position that requires him to drop into coverage at times - where in college he was only ever asked to get upfield. That's going to take time for any player. I get that he was picked #6 overall and expectations are high, but where he was selected doesn't make his task any easier.

I suspect we'll have a real solid pass rusher in Ghoulston by the 6th week of the season (after the bye), and that we'll really see what we have in him as an OLB by next year.

Give the kid a chance.

Most LBs coming out of college need to work on coverage skills add to this that VG is now playing OLB compared to DE last year. His only task was to get to the QB. The coaches want him to work on his weakness in the preseason. That's what the preseason is for. He has looked tentative at times and unsure of his responsibilities. I expect the coaches will keep it simple during the regular season and use him as pass rusher. He is a powerful force at the point of attack and should make an excellent addition to our pass rush. It will be interesting to se how he develops this year but keep in mind just because he was drafted high or paid more money than he is worth does not speed up the process. He will need to learn the tools of the trade.

Most LBs coming out of college need to work on coverage skills add to this that VG is now playing OLB compared to DE last year. His only task was to get to the QB. The coaches want him to work on his weakness in the preseason. That's what the preseason is for. He has looked tentative at times and unsure of his responsibilities. I expect the coaches will keep it simple during the regular season and use him as pass rusher. He is a powerful force at the point of attack and should make an excellent addition to our pass rush. It will be interesting to se how he develops this year but keep in mind just because he was drafted high or paid more money than he is worth does not speed up the process. He will need to learn the tools of the trade.

This was a major concern at the time he was drafted. He is getting paid alot of money to learn a new position. Its inherently risky. He might adapt perfectly well or he might just be a situational pass rusher, or worse. Its unclear but its a risk the Jets have taken with their eyes open.

Kendall made almost all of the o-line calls that year. Mangold just had to follow instruction. People say center is one of the hardest positions to play but i'd equate OLBer in the 34 defense in the same manner.

He may not have to make the defensive calls but it's not as simple as "guard him", take a short zone, take a different zone, RB contain, rush the passer...There is no way you could convince me that Mangold had that much crap to go through in his first year.

Mangold does it now but he is also going into his 3rd season.

He's a rookie. I don't really expect too much from him this year. Even John Abraham didn't come on till the end of his rookie year. (if I remember correctly)

it was a late season game against the patriots that he had 2 or three sacks. it was something along the lines of weeks 13 or 14

It's going to take time, point blank.

on a third and 12 play, i want to see gholston with an arms reach of the QB every time. No reason he should be able to get there, as long as it's not against Pace, Ogden or Taucher. I would give him a pass on them. But everyone else he should be making sweat.

If he can't simply pass rush by week 8, i'll be very worried.

Similar to the Ratliff situation preseason isn't the end all be all. Yes he's struggled but considering the circumstances that's to be some what expected. I would've liked to see more but he's still shown flashes of his pass rushing potential and its way to early to even call him a disappointment, let alone a bust.

Oh and by the way, weren't some of the knocks on him coming out that his skills were raw outside of pass rushing and that he wasn't as fluid in coverage as you'd typically want for a LB? Aren't those some of the main problems he's had this preseason? Why are people so surprised when a player shows weaknesses that we were already aware of?

are you guys fans of the 3-4? i'm not Gholston needs to be on the line were he belongs

Yes I am a fan of the 3-4 and Gholston is lining up where he belongs. Unless you enjoy watching an undersized 260 ound DE getting run over every play I would suggest keeping it this way.

This was a major concern at the time he was drafted. He is getting paid alot of money to learn a new position. Its inherently risky. He might adapt perfectly well or he might just be a situational pass rusher, or worse. Its unclear but its a risk the Jets have taken with their eyes open.

Last year Kiwanuka struggled in his switch to LB. Nobody made a federal case out of it. Later in the season he started to get it and unfortunately broke his leg. Patience, folks. I do not care where he was drafted. This is not Division III. There is a very demanding mental aspect to the game.

Kendall made almost all of the o-line calls that year. Mangold just had to follow instruction. People say center is one of the hardest positions to play but i'd equate OLBer in the 34 defense in the same manner.

He may not have to make the defensive calls but it's not as simple as "guard him", take a short zone, take a different zone, RB contain, rush the passer...There is no way you could convince me that Mangold had that much crap to go through in his first year.

Mangold does it now but he is also going into his 3rd season.

Centers do not have to cover a third of the field. They run block (oxen stuff) or they pass block. You are right--he did not call signals. He basically had to work in a ten yard radius. It is a lot different at LB. Try running with a halfback who knows what cut he will make. I also think he might have a few pass rush moves he did not show in preseason.

bad comparison hutch. kendall made the line calls mangolds rookie year. rather than trying to get your readership in a tizzy over gholston why don't you write some more about how murrell or lowery or any of the other rookies have impressed in preseason.

Archived