Rosnethal: Possible Yanks could get Peavy without Hughes

MagicBizkit87

"The Yankees' farm system is strong enough to match up with the Padres if the teams revive their discussions on right-hander Jake Peavy. The Padres, according to one major-league source, told the Yankees that a deal would be possible even if the Yankees declined to offer right-hander Phil Hughes. The Padres scouted Hughes in a recent Arizona Fall League game, but the Yankees have zero intention of trading him ."

Here's another article, where it says this is possible...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8816036/Sources:-Red-Sox-interested-in-Burnett?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=3498

Scroll to the bottom...

regarding a Peavy trade with the San Diego Padres as per Foxsports' Ken Rosenthal:

"The Padres, according to one major-league source, told the Yankees that a deal would be possible even if the Yankees declined to offer right-hander Phil Hughes.

The Padres scouted Hughes in a recent Arizona Fall League game, but the Yankees have zero intention of trading him ..."

"The Yankees' farm system is strong enough to match up with the Padres if the teams revive their discussions on right-hander Jake Peavy. The Padres, according to one major-league source, told the Yankees that a deal would be possible even if the Yankees declined to offer right-hander Phil Hughes. The Padres scouted Hughes in a recent Arizona Fall League game, but the Yankees have zero intention of trading him ."

Obviously crack and meth have become the breakfast foods of choice in the San Diego front office. If they can get Peavy, DO IT. Buy Hughes the plane ticket. May be in the NL with an one less batter to pitch around, he'll be okay. This is like the day the Mets called the Rays offering Kazmir for Zambrano. Put down the phone: cover the phone to stop them from hearing you laugh out loud; make the deal NOW.

Obviously crack and meth have become the breakfast foods of choice in the San Diego front office. If they can get Peavy, DO IT. Buy Hughes the plane ticket. May be in the NL with an one less batter to pitch around, he'll be okay. This is like the day the Mets called the Rays offering Kazmir for Zambrano. Put down the phone: cover the phone to stop them from hearing you laugh out loud; make the deal NOW.

Now you want to trade the farm

I just don't get you

Peavy is an off speed junk guy...I think he'll get clobbered in the AL

I wouldn't call him an off speed guy. He has a cut-fastball, and 4 seamer that can go about 95. hard slider that can go about 85, and also a change, and curve as well.

He may be a National League pitcher, but other then Tim Lincecum, he's the best National League Pitcher in the game.

Peavy is good. I just don't want to trade half the farm system for him. Kennedy + a good prospect and maybe a AAAA guy or two.

I think if Hughes isn't apart of the deal then you figure both Austin Jackson, and Dellin Betances would be in it. Along with probably Ian Kennedy. If we want him, that might be the type of deal it takes.

I thought i'd bring this up:

Jake Peavy Vs. American League Teams:

2002:

Vs. NYY: 6 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 2 BB's, 4 K's

Vs. KC: 3 IP, 7 hits, 4 ER, 3 BB's, 3 K's

2003:

Vs. MIN: 6.2 IP, 8 hits, 3 ER, 3 BB's, 5 K's

Vs. CLE: 5.2 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 3 K's

Vs. SEA: 6.2 IP, 4 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K's

Vs. SEA: 8 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 0 BB's, 5 K's

2004:

Vs. KC: 5.1 IP, 3 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K's

2005:

Vs. SEA: 7 IP, 3 hits, 0 ER, 1 BB, 10 K's

Vs. CLE: 5 IP, 5 hits, 4 ER, 2 BB's, 6 K's

Vs. DET: 6 IP, 4 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 10 K's

Vs. SEA: 5 IP, 7 hits, 5 ER, 2 BB's, 3 K's

2006:

Vs. LAA: 8 IP, 4 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 7 K's

Vs. SEA: 8 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER, 0 BB's, 9 K's

Vs. OAK: 6 IP, 7 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 6 K's

2007:

Vs. TB: 7 IP, 2 hits, 0 ER, 3 BB's, 8 K's

Vs. BAL: 6 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 7 K's

Vs. BOS: 5 IP, 9 hits, 3 ER, 1 BB, 3 K's

2008:

Vs. NYY: 4 IP, 6 hits, 3 ER, 2 BB's, 4 K's

Vs. MIN: 6 IP, 5 hits, 1 ER, 1 BB's, 6 K's

Vs. SEA: 6 IP, 10 hits, 3 ER, 1 BB's, 6 K's

13 Quality Starts out of 20.

I wouldn't call him an off speed guy. He has a cut-fastball, and 4 seamer that can go about 95. hard slider that can go about 85, and also a change, and curve as well.

He may be a National League pitcher, but other then Tim Lincecum, he's the best National League Pitcher in the game.

johan.....

johan.....

Johan isn't what I call a National League pitcher. Johan is an American League pitcher that got traded to the National League. Jake Peavy, Ben Sheets, and Tim Lincecum are pitchers that have never started for American League teams. Which is why I call them National League pitchers.

Now you want to trade the farm

I just don't get you

Did you see ANYTHING useful about Kennedy or Hughes? I didn't. They both nibble and overthink and refuse to challenge hitters. They won't throw strikes. ANd neither was breaking 90+ consistently nor nor movement on their fastballs nor simply throwing strikes.

Can't say I know enough about Melancon, but I'd prefer to keep the unknown over known suckitude.

I think if Hughes isn't apart of the deal then you figure both Austin Jackson, and Dellin Betances would be in it. Along with probably Ian Kennedy. If we want him, that might be the type of deal it takes.

If that is the case, then it prob. makes more sense for the Yankees to spend the money on AJ Burnett or Lowe.

Same cost, no prospects.

He may be a National League pitcher, but other then Tim Lincecum, he's the best National League Pitcher in the game.[/quote]

Did Santana get traded back to the AL?

You make the trade. If he gets torched after a few times, then so be it, but it wont happen. CC was torched by the AL until he got traded.

His ERA before the trade would have placed in the Top 20 in the AL.

He was struggling. but it was also team wide as well. CC had a pretty good AL track record.

The problem with Peavy is he rarely goes past the 7th inning. In 27 starts last year, he went 8+ 4 times.

2007- never more than 7ip in 34 starts.

He'll give you a consistent 7ip, but thats all. The bullpen needs to be solid.

How many pitchers consistently give you more than 7 innings? Seven with Marte/Edwar and Mo in the 8th and 9th is absolutely fine.

How many pitchers consistently give you more than 7 innings? Seven with Marte/Edwar and Mo in the 8th and 9th is absolutely fine.

Just wanted to make sure everyone understood what they would be getting with Peavy. He is not the type of ace that can pitch a complete game. He cannot give the bullpen a day of rest.

Hopefully he would be able to consistently be in the 7ip range, but with teams like the Sawx who are patient at the plate, I would have a little concern about him.

I'd love to have him with the Mets, and think he'll do fine with the Yanks if they get him. Just understand completely what you're getting.

How many times do I have to say it? Johan Santana is a American League pitcher that was traded to the National League, get that through your skulls.

Actually he came up through NL farm systems....Houston and Florida I believe.....regardless your logic of what qualifies one as a NL pitcher is mind numbing.

Is Josh Beckett not really a AL pitcher?

You probably know because he pitches in your town......but don't you think he'd get torched in the AL East after these guys see him a few times?

I'm not a pro scout by any means , but the guy has some filthy pitches. He is very consistent. I think a pitcher's attitude is a big deal for pitching in NY. That's one thing Peavy has. I really hope they pull off the deal.

Actually he came up through NL farm systems....Houston and Florida I believe.....regardless your logic of what qualifies one as a NL pitcher is mind numbing.

Is Josh Beckett not really a AL pitcher?

If you've started games on a consistent basis, and have had success in the American League, you're an American League pitcher. Johan Santana may have come through the Marlins, and Astros, but they got rid of them before ever giving him a chance. Minnesota signed him, and he became the best pitcher in baseball in the American League.

Josh Beckett is an American League pitcher because he's had success in the American League.

Lincecum, Peavy, Sheets have not pitched in the American league on a consistant basis. Only what they get out of interleague.

Archived