Yankees Rotation

Morrissey

It is about time the Yankees went with 5 legit proven starters.

I still think we need Manny though.

Chamberlain still has a lot to prove, but he does have the potential to be the best starter in that rotation.

and when it comes to Manny, let him be someone else's head ache, we also don't have room for him.

ph_282332.jpgph_150359.jpgph_425426.jpgph_120485.jpgph_501955.jpg

On paper, this is one of the best rotations in baseball, I think we have a nice mixture of youth and veterans.

I also think we have some nice options to go to incase of injury. Obviously Huhges, and Aceves, Kennedy, and Coke.

Hey, the 08 Tigers had the best offensive lineup in the history of baseball on paper and couldn't hit water if they fell out of a boat.

I'd wait and see. :2c:

Wait, wasn't it YOU that called me "genius".

I bleed too.

Since when is calling someone a "genius" a bad thing?

;)

Anyways, I wasn't trying to announce something groundbreaking in this thread, I said "on paper" for a reason. When you talk about baseball during the winter, everything is "on paper".

Is name calling necessary?

This thread was never suppose to be some big statement. On paper, it's a very good rotation. I never stated this is the best rotation in basebal.

Why are you so scared to say it?

Here, I'll say it for you: It is the best rotation in baseball.

I don't like to get into that, because anything can happen, injuries, poor performance, ect. But if the stars align, the rotation does have the potential to be completely dominant.

No Phil Hughes again this year. Good he gets another year of seasoning at AAA after all of last off seasons projections of him being a immediate impact.

Yanks finalizing their staff helps the Mets some in that there is one less big spender out there for Perez-Sheets-Garland-Wolf. Very suprised they did not sign Sheets.

Well there you have it. Give the Yankees their off-season World Championship rings right now. :rolleyes:

Sabathia is as good as it gets. I hope for his sake and Yankee fans sanity the Brewers didn't burn him out last season and that his weight doesn't balloon on all the great food in the city.

Wang is a very solid pitcher. He'll get close to 20 wins and he'll pitch really well in the regular season. Just don't have him run the bases.

Burnett is an enigma. Dynamite against the AL East, crapshoot against everyone else. Health is always an issue.

Pettite was a .500 pitcher last season and started showing his age as well. He'll be a nice lefty in the rotation but he's definitely on the downside. If you check his numbers from last season he pitched horribly against good teams, but feasted on the weak ones.

Joba has great stuff and should be a top of the rotation starter at some point. He needs to stay healthy also though, and become a better pitcher as well.

Now I am not saying the Sox rotation doesn't have question marks about it's starters. It definitely has it's own warts. All I am trying to say is, don't count your chickens before they become finger lickin' good.

The lineup still worries me.

People seem to forget how bad it was last season.

Their lineup will be just fine. Teixiera is a very nice upgrade over Giambi and you have to figure Cano will bounce back a bit. Posada was a virtual nonfactor last year and if he produces anything near his career averages he'll be another upgrade over last year.

I look at the Yanks and, I know that the Sox catching situation is no better, and the one question that keeps coming into my head is: how many games is Posada going to catch? Is he the DH? Just curious because I thought he was basically done as a catcher. Then who is playing in the OF? Who is DHing? Girardi is going to be earning his money dealing with that line-up every day. Of course having A-Rod-Tex in the middle helps.

Well there are reasons for that.

-Posada and Matsui where on the DL for a majority of the season

-Cano was god awful the first few months

-We got ZERO production out of CF

-A-Rod spent time on the DL

-Jeter spent time out of the lineup

With the addition of Teixeira and Swisher/Nady, healthy lineup (fingers crossed), a Cano who doesn't hit under .200 the first few months, some production out of CF, I wouldn't be to worried about the lineup.

As bad as we where last year, we still where 10th in MLB, in runs scored.

Well there are reasons for that.

-Posada and Matsui where on the DL for a majority of the season

-Cano was god awful the first few months

-We got ZERO production out of CF

-A-Rod spent time on the DL

-Jeter spent time out of the lineup

With the addition of Teixeira and Swisher/Nady, healthy lineup (fingers crossed), a Cano who doesn't hit under .200 the first few months, some production out of CF, I wouldn't be to worried about the lineup.

As bad as we where last year, we still where 10th in MLB, in runs scored.

I hope you're right. Im just sick of seeing these guys failing in the clutch over and over again. The Yankees were god awful with RISP last season. Our 4 hitter who I wont name, most noticeably.

Pitching cant be the scapegoat this season for this team not hitting under pressure.

Their lineup will be just fine. Teixiera is a very nice upgrade over Giambi and you have to figure Cano will bounce back a bit. Posada was a virtual nonfactor last year and if he produces anything near his career averages he'll be another upgrade over last year.

CF is still a automatic out unless Gardner improves. While Tex is a upgrade, Giambi still went for 32 HR's -96 RBI's in 08......Nady likely won't replace Abreu's production....probably not even close.

The keys to the Yanks being better offensively will be Matsui and Posada along with a return of the Cano that appeared headed for stardom prior to getting paid.

My question marks going in would be Burnett and Posada staying healthy, Andy having something left in the tank, any production out of CF and whether Nady can repeat his career year. It is nice having Aceves and Hughes in the wings depth wise. Kennedy also pitched well in winter ball but I think the Yanks are done with him for the near future.

I still think they have a young SP-extra outfielder deal in them before all is said and done. Nate McLouth in CF or a bigger bat in RF for example would put the team to bed.

The Yanks have the extra young pitching and extra corner outfielders to make that type deal happen.

Still, on paper this appears to be a very good team with some nice depth although unproven in Aceves/Hughes/Kennedy.

Archived