Jets to meet with agents for Laveranues Coles & Eric Barton - NJ.com

from Dave Hutchinson:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/02/jets_to_release_guard_brandon.html

NOTES

-In addition to cornerback, linebacker and quarterback, the Jets are considering taking a wide receiver with their first-round pick.

-The Jets like Illinois CB Vontae Davis but he has character issues.

-The Jets are scheduled to meet with the agents for WR Laveranues Coles and unrestricted free agent LB Eric Barton this weekend in Indianapolis.

-Asked when he thinks his defense will be as good as the Ravens' feared unit, Ryan said, "I think next year. We only need to add one or two guys. The foundation is already there."

-Asked if there's another Ray Lewis in the draft, he quipped, "I think there's somebody who has the first name."

Will Coles and Barton restructure? I assume that is why the Jets are meeting with their agents. It sure would be nice to add even more to the cap, but we have been down this road with Coles before. Barton OTOH might be willing to reduce his pay to stay.

Barton is a UFA, so he has nothing to renegotiate, according to the article

I would like to resign Barton as an insurance policy just in case Bart Scott ends up resigning with Baltimore or signing elsewhere (like Miami where they have a huge question mark at Inside Linebacker as well).

I would like to resign Barton as an insurance policy just in case Bart Scott ends up resigning with Baltimore or signing elsewhere (like Miami where they have a huge question mark at Inside Linebacker as well).

that would suck if miami gets scott. But I dont see scott going to a very hot field like that and knowing hes in the same division as his favorite coach..

that would suck if miami gets scott. But I dont see scott going to a very hot field like that and knowing hes in the same division as his favorite coach..

Money talks.

When Bart Scott was asked about Terrell Suggs' comment about how he and Lewis would join Suggs in taking a hometown discount Scott said he had wished Suggs had asked him that before making that comment because he isn't going to do that.

If he doesn't have that kind of loyalty to the organization, I don't know if he'd have that strong of a loyalty to the coach once the money is on the table and Miami might offer a little more, plus, no state tax in Miami (or Florida for that matter) so he'll see more money there then he will here. That is why you saw Calvin Pace get $42 million from the Jets last year because of the NY taxes. Miami probably offered $30 and the Jets had to outbid by a lot to land him.

I would trade up for him. love that guy

Can I ask why?? I have asked this question to every person who has displayed interest in drafting him and no one has answered me.

I watch a lot of college football, so I've seen my fair share of USC games. He is a playmaker, lays the lumber and i love his heart. But, one of our biggest problems this year was our linebackers in coverage. Now, if we didn't already have a great player in Harris I would say Rey Rey would be a viable option, but he doesn't compliment Harris well at all.

He has stiff hips, isn't great in coverage and his range is limited.

I don't want people to get the idea that I don't like him, becuase I think he's a fantastic prospect. But, I don't think drafting another stud ILB at the 17 spot is good value. ILB is usually not a glory position and one where you need two first rounders or a first and a second. It's why Harris was a stud in his first year, you don't need to be an unreal talent to succeed on the inside in this scene.

When we have other glaring needs such as CB and WR, I don't see the value for ILB at 17, when you could get someone like Jasper Brinkley or Worrell Williams later in the draft.

I just don't think that the difference between Rey Rey and Brinkley or Worrell is greater than the difference than Vontae Davis or DJ Moore and the second tier CBs or Maclin/DHB/Harvin etc. and the second teir WRs.

Especially WR, because we have a plethora of second teir and later roudn talent, yet noone elite. I just feel that our most pressing need is a WR who can roll coverages and alter defensive schemes. That presence will be felt much more than another ILB, in my opinion.

But, I keep an open mind and like hearing different opinions. If there's some validity to really taking Rey Rey than I'll have to go back and look some more...Granted this point could be moot if we sign Scott.

just like that guy who was the Brooks Bollinger fan? He completely fell off the side of the earth when he went to Minny...I still to this day think it might have BEEN Bollinger...Fred Jetstone that was his name...

That guy was a troll personality.

Brooks Bollinger: From Clipboard To Canton.

just like that guy who was the Brooks Bollinger fan? He completely fell off the side of the earth when he went to Minny...I still to this day think it might have BEEN Bollinger...Fred Jetstone that was his name...

I always thought Jetstone was Brooks agent,,this guy

http://www.murphydesmond.com/bio/TimValentyn.asp

Archived