The Perfect Draft: New York Jets

SoFlaJets

The 2009 draft finds the New York Jets in an uncomfortable predicament. They have spent the last two years spending on free agents to put many aspects of a contending team into place. That's a big part of the reason why they started last season 8-3, and briefly had Jets fans thinking that big things were in store for their team. But a strong running game, sound defense and dangerous special teams are being undermined by an invisible passing attack.

The lack of such an attack was the primary reason they missed the playoffs. Part of the problem was Brett Favre's interception fetish, but the lack of a strong receiving corps also caught up with them as the season wound down. They haven't done enough to address either position this offseason and their first draft pick will almost surely take care of one or the other. Neither one will be an instant fix for the most troubling facet of the team, though.

The Ideal Pick

If G.M. Mike Tannenbaum had joined Eric Mangini on the unemployment line after the 1-4 finish to the 2008 season, there'd be no doubt that the Jets would be taking a quarterback in the first round. He didn't, though, and his job security isn't great enough to wait for a quarterback like Josh Freeman to develop into a winning starter. That's what makes Jeremy Maclin of Missouri the ideal pick for this year's Jets.

Maclin's success turning short routes into big gains is perfect for an offense that figures to keep things simple for Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. His vertical explosiveness is also a good fit for the play-action that will get mixed in off what should continue to be a strong running game. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is fond of using players in a variety of roles and Maclin would be an asset on screens, reverses and other forms of trickery that will help from putting too much on the shoulders of whichever inexperienced quarterback wins the job.

If Maclin doesn't make it, Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland would be a good Plan B. He's got ideal speed and size, if not Maclin's ability to beat you in a variety of ways, including the return game.

Other Needs

The Jets may pick up a quarterback later in the draft, but they're more likely to go after a defensive end to join the rotation up front. Jarron Gilbert is an intriguing prospect from San Jose State -- and head coach Rex Ryan ran his workout -- while Mitch King could follow in the footsteps of other Iowa defensive linemen and become a productive player.

A running back wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Thomas Jones is 31, griping about his contract and probably gone after this year no matter how all that plays out. Leon Washington is a weapon, but one that must be deployed judiciously, which would make Rashad Jennings of Liberty an interesting choice at some point.

To make the draft a truly perfect one, the Jets would add another big-play threat at receiver (Johnny Knox of Abilene Christian, perhaps), a strong blocking tight end (Anthony Hill of North Carolina State is a bruiser) and a little more depth in the secondary. Getting the passing game going is the key, though.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/20/the-perfect-draft-new-york-jets/

I am starting to hope we take RB Knowshon Moreno in the 1st round and I am sure one of the WR's will drop to us in the second round There not much difference between Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kenny Britt, Percy Harvin and few others. I would wait to see what drops in the 2nd round as far as WR.

i actually started feelin the same way this morning, if moreno is there at 17 i think i want us to get him.....receiver in rd 2

I am starting to hope we take RB Knowshon Moreno in the 1st round and I am sure one of the WR's will drop to us in the second round There not much difference between Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kenny Britt, Percy Harvin and few others. I would wait to see what drops in the 2nd round as far as WR.

if not Sanchez then trade down for more pix. This Percy Harvin guy, I'm telling you he's definitely one of the pot dudes but I have a feeling he's going to be the one guy in a few years that we all sit there and say-DAMN! We COULD have had him and DIDN'T take him b/c of some stupid drug test-watch him turn out to be the next Marvin Harrison

My advice to the Jets: Get yourselves a good young QB. If Sanchez is there take him!

I don't like these QB competitions one bit. I've seen many a coaching staff betrayed by and saddled with mediocre QB play. Ya got just about all the rest of a competitor in place, try for your franchise QB.

My advice to the Jets: Get yourselves a good young QB. If Sanchez is there take him!

I don't like these QB competitions one bit. I've seen many a coaching staff betrayed by and saddled with mediocre QB play. Ya got just about all the rest of a competitor in place, try for your franchise QB.

he won't be there Paul. In my mind the only way I can see it happening is if we trade with Cleveland-MAYBE he'll be there at what 5?

Just how Rex Ryan is bringing in "his" type of players I can see Mangini wanting some of his own players to help him in Cleveland. Maybe it'll take a David Harris along with our #17 to get it done, for Sanchez but I would do it

The 2009 draft finds the New York Jets in an uncomfortable predicament. They have spent the last two years spending on free agents to put many aspects of a contending team into place. That's a big part of the reason why they started last season 8-3, and briefly had Jets fans thinking that big things were in store for their team. But a strong running game, sound defense and dangerous special teams are being undermined by an invisible passing attack.

The lack of such an attack was the primary reason they missed the playoffs. Part of the problem was Brett Favre's interception fetish, but the lack of a strong receiving corps also caught up with them as the season wound down. They haven't done enough to address either position this offseason and their first draft pick will almost surely take care of one or the other. Neither one will be an instant fix for the most troubling facet of the team, though.

The Ideal Pick

If G.M. Mike Tannenbaum had joined Eric Mangini on the unemployment line after the 1-4 finish to the 2008 season, there'd be no doubt that the Jets would be taking a quarterback in the first round. He didn't, though, and his job security isn't great enough to wait for a quarterback like Josh Freeman to develop into a winning starter. That's what makes Jeremy Maclin of Missouri the ideal pick for this year's Jets.

Maclin's success turning short routes into big gains is perfect for an offense that figures to keep things simple for Kellen Clemens or Brett Ratliff. His vertical explosiveness is also a good fit for the play-action that will get mixed in off what should continue to be a strong running game. Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is fond of using players in a variety of roles and Maclin would be an asset on screens, reverses and other forms of trickery that will help from putting too much on the shoulders of whichever inexperienced quarterback wins the job.

If Maclin doesn't make it, Darrius Heyward-Bey of Maryland would be a good Plan B. He's got ideal speed and size, if not Maclin's ability to beat you in a variety of ways, including the return game.

Other Needs

The Jets may pick up a quarterback later in the draft, but they're more likely to go after a defensive end to join the rotation up front. Jarron Gilbert is an intriguing prospect from San Jose State -- and head coach Rex Ryan ran his workout -- while Mitch King could follow in the footsteps of other Iowa defensive linemen and become a productive player.

A running back wouldn't be a bad idea, either. Thomas Jones is 31, griping about his contract and probably gone after this year no matter how all that plays out. Leon Washington is a weapon, but one that must be deployed judiciously, which would make Rashad Jennings of Liberty an interesting choice at some point.

To make the draft a truly perfect one, the Jets would add another big-play threat at receiver (Johnny Knox of Abilene Christian, perhaps), a strong blocking tight end (Anthony Hill of North Carolina State is a bruiser) and a little more depth in the secondary. Getting the passing game going is the key, though.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/04/20/the-perfect-draft-new-york-jets/

Draft him. RB can be addressed in rounds 3 on.

if not Sanchez then trade down for more pix. This Percy Harvin guy, I'm telling you he's definitely one of the pot dudes but I have a feeling he's going to be the one guy in a few years that we all sit there and say-DAMN! We COULD have had him and DIDN'T take him b/c of some stupid drug test-watch him turn out to be the next Marvin Harrison

I'm not high on taking a QB, BUT I won't be disappointed if we trade down either. We can prob. get a solid WR later on in the draft, AND maybe fill a few more needs as well.

he won't be there Paul. In my mind the only way I can see it happening is if we trade with Cleveland-MAYBE he'll be there at what 5?

Just how Rex Ryan is bringing in "his" type of players I can see Mangini wanting some of his own players to help him in Cleveland. Maybe it'll take a David Harris along with our #17 to get it done, for Sanchez but I would do it

I remember being in you guys shoes just a few short years ago. Having the strong D, OL and run game in place and hoping the winner of the QB competition wouldn't sabotage a playoff run. Low and behold, each year, that turned out to be the case.

If they can trade up and get Sanchez at least it will show they are trying to find that franchise QB imo.

Maclin would be a very nice pick but he won't be around unless we trade up which I don't think he's worth.

Can someone please explain the Moreno obsession on this board. Considering we're not in dire need for a RB why would we waste our time with him. He's a nice back but it'd only make sense to ignore our other needs if he was a special talent. There should most likely be comparable value at other need positions.

I agree with this article. Wow. That doesn't happen everyday.

WR in the first. Maclin or Heyward-Bay would be a great choice. The Jets need a weapon for whoever's going to win their QB competition.

That said, I could see them trade up for Sanchez.

I want no part of a RB in the first three rounds, minimum. Thomas Jones is absolutely fine as the team's main ball carrier. He's coming off an AFC rushing title for God's sake! So what if he's pouting about his contract. Let him pout! The man keeps himself in shape, and he'll show up when he's obligated to.

If a RB presents himself as an outstanding value in the fourth or lower, take him. Otherwise, grab a couple UFA's and see how they shake out. RB is not a position that needs a first round pick, and it's not a position that has to be drafted a year ahead of time. They can cut Jones after the season and look to replace him in next year's draft if they want.

WR, TE, QB, DE, OL, CB... all more pressing needs on this team than RB. Although if they don't pull the trigger on a QB in the first round, I hope they avoid that position the rest of the draft, too.

I agree with this article. Wow. That doesn't happen everyday.

WR in the first. Maclin or Heyward-Bay would be a great choice. The Jets need a weapon for whoever's going to win their QB competition.

That said, I could see them trade up for Sanchez.

I want no part of a RB in the first three rounds, minimum. Thomas Jones is absolutely fine as the team's main ball carrier. He's coming off an AFC rushing title for God's sake! So what if he's pouting about his contract. Let him pout! The man keeps himself in shape, and he'll show up when he's obligated to.

If a RB presents himself as an outstanding value in the fourth or lower, take him. Otherwise, grab a couple UFA's and see how they shake out. RB is not a position that needs a first round pick, and it's not a position that has to be drafted a year ahead of time. They can cut Jones after the season and look to replace him in next year's draft if they want.

WR, TE, QB, DE, OL, CB... all more pressing needs on this team than RB. Although if they don't pull the trigger on a QB in the first round, I hope they avoid that position the rest of the draft, too.

I hope you're right about jones coming in and being a professional.

Nice article...agree with Maclin as the perfect choice for us...with DHB as the plan B...the question remains whether Maclin can fall to us...looks like the Browns (if they move Edwards as rumored), Raiders, Jags (who just signed Holt) are the teams most in need of WR ahead of us...beginning to see some possibility that Maclin is still on the board...Browns are all over the map with Mangini spreading his typical disinformation...the Raiders need WR help but may pusue DL help first...Jags are in the same boat as Raiders...need WR but to me the defense was not the same after shipping Stroud to the Jills.

I'm a little leary of Jarron Gilbert...great measurables decent production but has similar rap as Gholston last year..."disappears for stretches"...Ryan already has several players who need a coach to light a fire under his a@@ not sure we need another...Mitch King will make a solid 3-4 DE...definitely someone to look at on the second day. I'm sure we get a decent blocking TE prospect...Hill is one possibility...haven't seen much of Knox to comment but a flyer in later rounds is ok I guess...

Theres a lot wrong with that statement.

For starters, Harvin is the only one there with a history of off field problems and has been said to not get along with coaches and teammates, secondly, Harvin has a history of injury, third, Harvin is a product of a spread offense system which explains why Gator WRs rarely ever pan out in the NFL and he had a freak of nature QB in Tebow that creates opportunities for the weapons around him. Not to mention DHB is 6'3, Harvin is 5'11, yeah i could see how they are similar players. Oh yeah, DHB ran a 4.3, Harvin a 4.41.

Theres a lot wrong with that statement.

For starters, Harvin is the only one there with a history of off field problems and has been said to not get along with coaches and teammates, secondly, Harvin has a history of injury, third, Harvin is a product of a spread offense system which explains why Gator WRs rarely ever pan out in the NFL and he had a freak of nature QB in Tebow that creates opportunities for the weapons around him. Not to mention DHB is 6'3, Harvin is 5'11, yeah i could see how they are similar players. Oh yeah, DHB ran a 4.3, Harvin a 4.41.

My point is I think thee will be a WR that will drop deep into the 2nd round where Moreno could be a franchise RB we could get at 17

Harvin scares me Gator WR are usually overrated.

My point is I think thee will be a WR that will drop deep into the 2nd round where Moreno could be a franchise RB we could get at 17

Finding blue chip RB's late is easier than finding blue chip WR's late. We could pick up a UFA RB who could gain 1000 yards behind the Jets line. It's not a position that needs to be addressed right away, and it's never a position that needs to be addressed in the first.

If we cut Jones next year, that'll be a time to take a RB in the first round. The only think I like about doing that is that you can plug them in to start right away, and get a lot of bang for your rookie buck. Grabbing a first round RB to sit on the bench or share the load is a total waste. Too many other needs on this team.

I remember being in you guys shoes just a few short years ago. Having the strong D, OL and run game in place and hoping the winner of the QB competition wouldn't sabotage a playoff run. Low and behold, each year, that turned out to be the case.

If they can trade up and get Sanchez at least it will show they are trying to find that franchise QB imo.

Problem is there isn't a QB in this year's draft that is really looking like a true franchise QB to hang your future on. Taking one at 17 is one thing, trading up for Sanchez is just not a sensible thing to do. Sanchez is going to be an ok QB in the NFL. To trade the farm for "ok" is just not a good idea IMO. If you are going to trade up into the top 5, giving up all the draft picks to do it, AND pay a QB top 5 money he better be as sure fire as it gets. Sanchez is not, as it was soundly noted by his own college coach.

Problem is there isn't a QB in this year's draft that is really looking like a true franchise QB to hang your future on. Taking one at 17 is one thing, trading up for Sanchez is just not a sensible thing to do. Sanchez is going to be an ok QB in the NFL. To trade the farm for "ok" is just not a good idea IMO. If you are going to trade up into the top 5, giving up all the draft picks to do it, AND pay a QB top 5 money he better be as sure fire as it gets. Sanchez is not, as it was soundly noted by his own college coach.

we only have 6 picks anyway and Ryan deserves the chance to build the team the way he wants to build it THROUGH THE DRAFT. If Sanchez was to miraculously fall to us @ 17 (he won't) then I say yea draft him. Otherwise I for one would kind of like to see what we spent a second round DP on a few years ago in Clemens-he ALSO deserves a chance.

Finding blue chip RB's late is easier than finding blue chip WR's late. We could pick up a UFA RB who could gain 1000 yards behind the Jets line. It's not a position that needs to be addressed right away, and it's never a position that needs to be addressed in the first.

If we cut Jones next year, that'll be a time to take a RB in the first round. The only think I like about doing that is that you can plug them in to start right away, and get a lot of bang for your rookie buck. Grabbing a first round RB to sit on the bench or share the load is a total waste. Too many other needs on this team.

Two players I'd like to see us consider...Gartrell Johnson (Colorado State) and Kory Sheets (Purdue). Each had good production in college and would make valuable addition to our roster. Both could last to 7th or even get to us as an UDFA.

....If G.M. Mike Tannenbaum had joined Eric Mangini on the unemployment line after the 1-4 finish to the 2008 season, there'd be no doubt that the Jets would be taking a quarterback in the first round. He didn't, though, and his job security isn't great enough to wait for a quarterback like Josh Freeman to develop into a winning starter...

Where do you get this crap? His job is quite secure. That said, personally, I have no interest in Freeman with the 17th pick.

Ok here it is. and it might change, especially since I've already changed my mind 3 times.

round one QB Freeman. I have gone back and forth on him. I don't want to trade up and get Sanchez. Freeman has the athletic skills to be good. not great, but a good QB in the nfl. We just need to teach him how to limit his mistakes.

round two RB Lesean McCoy or something. RB out of Pitt. If he falls to us we need to get him. No I've never seen the dude play, but judging from his stats and what other people are saying he will look good with Leon.

round three WR Robiskie. He sounds like a strong number 2 wr. we need a wr and nobody really impresses me in the round one except crabbtree and we aren't getting him.

After that your guess is as good as mine...

....If G.M. Mike Tannenbaum had joined Eric Mangini on the unemployment line after the 1-4 finish to the 2008 season, there'd be no doubt that the Jets would be taking a quarterback in the first round. He didn't, though, and his job security isn't great enough to wait for a quarterback like Josh Freeman to develop into a winning starter...

Where do you get this crap? His job is quite secure. That said, personally, I have no interest in Freeman with the 17th pick.

I don't think his job is too secure. He's on his second head coach, and he's coming off the selection of Vernon Gholston. He needs a rock solid draft. His future is tied to Ryan's now.

I really don't want to see us trade up. We have done that in the last couple of years and it has worked pretty well, but two things. One, you take the chance of the guy you targeted being surprisingly taken by someone else before the spot you move to. And two, trading up and trades have left the Jets thin in number of picks. This is turn has hurt their depth and young player development. I know they want to win now, but you still have to balance against stockpiling some big young bodies on both lines for depth and future development.

round two RB Lesean McCoy or something. RB out of Pitt. If he falls to us we need to get him. No I've never seen the dude play, but judging from his stats and what other people are saying he will look good with Leon.

If there is such a thing as a 'safe pick' in the draft, it would have to be picking a Pitt player. They seem to always turn into good to great pro players. Why they nevr win much in college is beyond me, but they seem churn out damn good players.

hE-4-bzH9WI

Looks more like McFadden's highlights than Crabtree's.

Ok here it is. and it might change, especially since I've already changed my mind 3 times.

round one QB Freeman. I have gone back and forth on him. I don't want to trade up and get Sanchez. Freeman has the athletic skills to be good. not great, but a good QB in the nfl. We just need to teach him how to limit his mistakes.

round three WR Robiskie. He sounds like a strong number 2 wr. we need a wr and nobody really impresses me in the round one except crabbtree and we aren't getting him.

After that your guess is as good as mine...

I would love Robiskie in the 3rd, but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone long before.

Looks more like McFadden's highlights than Crabtree's.

I would love Robiskie in the 3rd, but I'm pretty sure he'll be gone long before.

yea I agree Dom (it's Percy Harvin actually NOT Crabtree) but yea, he's playing tailback and NOT receiver in half the highlights

Archived