Mike Tannenbaum On The Hot Seat?

SoFlaJets

Posted by A. Greenbaum On Holy Joe Namath

July - 3 - 2009

At least Mike Florio of SportingNews.com and Pro Football Talk seems to think so.

Here is an exerpt from his article:

"New York Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum likely isn

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree he is on the hot seat.

Tanny not Mangini was the one who drafted Gholston. If Ryan can make Gholston into a probowler than Tanny is off the hook. But if Ryan can't get him to a level that justifies a first round pick, then Tanny can't defect the blame like he did last year.

Mangini didn't bring in Favre.

And Mangini didn't bring in Pace.

Woody had to fire someone last year. Tanny convinced Woody it was Eric's fault not his. If the Jets continue to suck the next firing will be Tanny not Ryan.

Tanny is also responsible for DBrick, Fancea, Woody, Manigold and that O Line.

Revis and Keller and drafting Sanchez for nothing.

Oh wait, also Kris Jenkins.

Yes, fire him please.

And all of these moves have gotten you what?

-A roller coaster ride alternating between a 10 win and 4 win team.

-No division titles in 6 and counting seasons.

For all his moves, he has been unable to sove the QB issue. Now, he made a daring move to fix that.

Tanny not Mangini was the one who drafted Gholston. If Ryan can make Gholston into a probowler than Tanny is off the hook. But if Ryan can't get him to a level that justifies a first round pick, then Tanny can't defect the blame like he did last year.

Woody had to fire someone last year. Tanny convinced Woody it was Eric's fault not his. If the Jets continue to suck the next firing will be Tanny not Ryan.

Wow, you agree with something negative someone said about the Jets? That is such a surprise because that never happens. :rolleyes:

IMO, Tanny is NOT on the hot seat. He rebuild the offensive line and now is one of the best in the league. He traded up for a GREAT CB and now is one of the best ones in the league. He also drafted David Harris who is pretty good.

He drafted Vernon Gholston. Is he labeled a bust yet? No. But pretty much every GM will draft a bust eventually.

Tanny is also responsible for DBrick, Fancea, Woody, Manigold and that O Line.

Revis and Keller and drafting Sanchez for nothing.

Oh wait, also Kris Jenkins.

Yes, fire him please.

This is true.

Overall IMO Tanny has done a very good job. He is still on the hot seat. This is a “what have you done for me lately league”. Us Jets fans are a fickel lot. Remember “Man genius” I bought it.

Woody has tickets to sell. Really good seats are available for the 09 season. This is a strong indication that people are not going to lay out big bucks for Jets seats in 10, unless something really big happens.

08 was a bad year for Tanny. First the Favre thing. The collapse at the end of the season wasn’t all Favre’s fault, but he sure was a player in it. Gholston had a horrible season. Even for a rookie. For the 6th pick in the draft it was a dreadful season. The very early mini camp reports were Gholston didn’t stand out. Not using the “B” word, but

The kid really has me worried. Bet he’s got Tanny worried to.

Then there is Sanchez. Sanchez is either the straw that stirs the drink, or the straw that broke the camel’s back for Tanny. If he is a bust Tanny will be on a bus to Kotiteville.

I think he hit a home run.

IMO Sanchez is going to be an outstanding player. He has all the tools, and IMO the personality to be a NYC star. Tanny stays

This is true.

Overall IMO Tanny has done a very good job. He is still on the hot seat. This is a “what have you done for me lately league”. Us Jets fans are a fickel lot. Remember “Man genius” I bought it.

Woody has tickets to sell. Really good seats are available for the 09 season. This is a strong indication that people are not going to lay out big bucks for Jets seats in 10, unless something really big happens.

08 was a bad year for Tanny. First the Favre thing. The collapse at the end of the season wasn’t all Favre’s fault, but he sure was a player in it. Gholston had a horrible season. Even for a rookie. For the 6th pick in the draft it was a dreadful season. The very early mini camp reports were Gholston didn’t stand out. Not using the “B” word, but

The kid really has me worried. Bet he’s got Tanny worried to.

Then there is Sanchez. Sanchez is either the straw that stirs the drink, or the straw that broke the camel’s back for Tanny. If he is a bust Tanny will be on a bus to Kotiteville.

I think he hit a home run.

IMO Sanchez is going to be an outstanding player. He has all the tools, and IMO the personality to be a NYC star. Tanny stays

excellent post FG...what I DO like about what Tanny has been doing is how he is being pro active. We TRIED for Cutler a few months ago, we've done due diligence on the big 3 WRs and if he can land a Braylon Edwards or if Plaxico DOES become eligible (forget Brandon Marshall Denver won't deal w/us IMO) and gets him it might just save his job. We NEED A VETERAN RECEIVER. We can NOT go into this season with only one proven guy because like them as we all do, Brad Smith, Chansi Stuckey, Wallace Wright and David Clowney gives us the least proven group of WRs in the conference-OK Miami might be weaker. This is where his job teeters IMO.

What has Sanchez accomplished? At this point less than Gholston.

Nobody is suggesting firing him at the begining of the season.

But if the Jets continue to suck, it is going to be Tanny be the one taking the heat.

Actually, nothing is MORE than Gholston has accomplished.

However, to think Tannanbaum ALONE drafted Gholston is pretty naive.

Mike Florio has not been paying attention ... again.

Forget about whether he's brought in good talent or not.

Mike T has given Woody a johnson 2 years running. First he gives him Favre whom Woody gushed over. Then he gives him Sanchez whom Woody (without prompting) compares to General Patton! You can't make this stuff up.

I wouldn't doubt if Woody has Sanchez' GQ spread blown up to poster size and decorating his office or private playroom in his mansion.

Mike T is untouchable because of his connection to Woody. Case closed.

Mike Florio has not been paying attention ... again.

Forget about whether he's brought in good talent or not.

Mike T has given Woody a johnson 2 years running. First he gives him Favre whom Woody gushed over. Then he gives him Sanchez whom Woody (without prompting) compares to General Patton! You can't make this stuff up.

I wouldn't doubt if Woody has Sanchez' GQ spread blown up to poster size and decorating his office or private playroom in his mansion.

Mike T is untouchable because of his connection to Woody. Case closed.

got into the beer a day early, huh?

And all of these moves have gotten you what?

-A roller coaster ride alternating between a 10 win and 4 win team.

-No division titles in 6 and counting seasons.

For all his moves, he has been unable to sove the QB issue. Now, he made a daring move to fix that.

holy smokes, troll alert batman. Do you remember what team Mangini/Tenenbaum inherited when they got control? Never mind, you're just going to strawman us to death.

Why do you come here anyway? I'm noticing a lot of Pats fans have really stepped up their troll game this off season. Relax guys, Pats are still king of the division. Can youw weally be scawed of the lowly Jets this upcoming season? :rolleyes:

What has Sanchez accomplished? At this point less than Gholston.

Nobody is suggesting firing him at the begining of the season.

But if the Jets continue to suck, it is going to be Tanny be the one taking the heat.

And then what?

Fire the GM because a player cares more for the money & less for the game?

Fire the head coach because we can't blame the GM?

Fire the new GM because of the way that our new rookies played?

THAT'S SUCH CHILDISH LOGIC!

I continue to think about something Bill Parcells said when he was 1st hired here.

"As a head coach, you go to your GM to purchase the groceries to make the meal that you want. I would rather buy the items myself."

It's very easy to blame a GM when it comes to player personnel. However, it takes a coach to come forward as a "CHEF" to turn the player into a better member of the meal.

Come to terms - Gholston was drafted because Mangini wanted the best player available based on scouting reports - Tannenbaum only pulled the trigger.

The best example was who Mangini took from us for Sanchez - Strong Second String players and a mid 1st round pick.

And then what?

Fire the GM because a player cares more for the money & less for the game?

Fire the head coach because we can't blame the GM?

Fire the new GM because of the way that our new rookies played?

THAT'S SUCH CHILDISH LOGIC!

I continue to think about something Bill Parcells said when he was 1st hired here.

"As a head coach, you go to your GM to purchase the groceries to make the meal that you want. I would rather buy the items myself."

It's very easy to blame a GM when it comes to player personnel. However, it takes a coach to come forward as a "CHEF" to turn the player into a better member of the meal.

Come to terms - Gholston was drafted because Mangini wanted the best player available based on scouting reports - Tannenbaum only pulled the trigger.

The best example was who Mangini took from us for Sanchez - Strong Second String players and a mid 1st round pick.

Good post.

Why do you come here anyway? I'm noticing a lot of Pats fans have really stepped up their troll game this off season. Relax guys, Pats are still king of the division. Can youw weally be scawed of the lowly Jets this upcoming season? :rolleyes:

Miami is still king of the AFCE.

I find myself agreeing with you on this. :puke: . Tanny was the one who traded most of the draft twice to move up and was left with only 3 players each year. That's a HUGE gamble. If it proves to be a mistake who's he gonna blame ? They better make the playoffs at least once the next 2 years or Mikey boy's gonna be SOL.

Tanny is one of the best GMs in the league. If you were a fan of any team other than one in the AFC East and the NFC East, you'd be thanking your lucky stars to have him. It's just cause we're over critical.

Tanny has brought in big time free agents like Favre, Faneca, Jenkins, Pace into an organization that lets face it, doesn't have a good rep. His drafting is spectacular. Would I like less trade ups? Yes. But Tanny's team had the most pro bowlers in the league. Its not his fault Mangini didn't execute.

I know there are still a few guys who immediately yell "TROLL" but I have to say the rival fans here have really stepped up their game the past few weeks and made some good solid football observations...good stuff by the JN Pats and Fin fans

I know there are still a few guys who immediately yell "TROLL" but I have to say the rival fans here have really stepped up their game the past few weeks and made some good solid football observations...good stuff by the JN Pats and Fin fans

I agree 100%.

I don't see how Tanny couldn't be on the hotseat. The only way he couldn't be is if he is just a puppet for the owner and HC. Which is possible since he probably should have been fired after last season with Mangini.

And thats where Tanny could be in trouble. Tanny and Mangini were Pals and if IIRC Tanny got Mangini the job. I think Mangini was loyal to Tanny and would not throw him under the bus.

Ryan strikes me as not being bashful about saying anything and I dont believe that he and Tanny have any history, but I could be wrong about that. I think it would very easy for Ryan to tell Woody that he not getting what he needs in terms of personnel and either bring is someone from Baltimore or take over draft/FA duties himself.

Archived