D'Brickashaw Ferguson: We're Going To Win The Super Bowl This Year"

Oh boy.

Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson: 'We're going to win the Super Bowl this year'

by USA Today

Joe Namath last donned the New York Jets' green and white in 1976.

But now it appears that the Hall of Fame quarterback who famously guaranteed the Jets' stunning Super Bowl III victory over the Baltimore Colts in 1969 has found a successor willing to step into his long unfilled shoes.

And that man is ... fourth-year T D'Brickashaw Ferguson?

"My previous coach, we had a different approach," Ferguson said today, referring to the Jets' former coach, buttoned-up Eric Mangini. "We operated differently. I feel now, with the coach we have, it's important to state what you're going to do and state the goals you're going to attain. I'm adopting that philosophy. When I say I'm going to the Pro Bowl this year, I honestly mean it. When I say we're going to win the Super Bowl this year, I honestly mean that, too. It's up to us, now that we put it out there, we're going to have to do the things that will cause us to be successful. I think we have the formula right."

A rather stunning proclamation from the Brick, notes Daily News Jets beat writer Rich Cimini. Ferguson, who's been solid at left tackle since being taken with the No. 4 pick of the 2006 draft but never a Pro Bowler, has been rather soft-spoken to this point of his career.

Just shows that the infectious enthusiasm and bravado of rookie coach Rex Ryan continues to pervade the roster on both sides of the ball.

As for the team's quarterback battle between first-round rookie Mark Sanchez and veteran Kellen Clemens, Cimini says "pocket presence continues to be an issue for Clemens, who doesn't sense the rush and slide in the pocket as well as he should."

Clemens could be feeling the heat on and off the field. Ryan hinted Wednesday morning that he'd like to name a starter by the third week of the preseason.

"Obviously, you want to make that decision as fast as you can," Ryan said. "Because now that guy gets all the work with the first group. But we're not there yet. I'm not ready to do that. ... Ideally, you like to have a pretty good idea going into that third preseason game who the guy is."

And Ryan did have praise for Clemens.

"Clemens has a better grasp of the system than Sanchez does," he said. "They both have their moments. And then they've had their moments when it's like, 'What are you doing?' So I think the competition is good. It seems one guy will be one day and vice versa. The cream will rise to the top and we'll be able to figure it out."

Cimini notes that Clemens got 15 of the 16 first-team repetitions this morning in 11-on-11 drills, but Ryan promises an even look for Sanchez.

"We obviously have to get him reps with the (first team) to make this a competition," Ryan said. "You got to do that. We never drafted him not to be a guy who's going to compete for the starting job."

maybe the 2000 Ravens offense was worst

If we make the superbowl it means that Sanchez and one of the receivers played above expectations. With our offensive line and Sanchez and a receiver being better than expected the whole worst offense thing would go out the window.

This is operating under the assumption that out D is not strong enough to carry us past the Patriots or Steelers in the playoffs.

Yeah, I ****ing hate players with confidence.

I hate players that are loudmouth, arrogant pricks but have never backed it up on the field.

Rhodes and Brick have played in one playoff game in their entire lives. But they want to yap and boast about how great we're going to be. Prove it. Shut the **** up and prove it.

Oh, and a player can be "confident" without saying asinine **** to the media three times a week.

I hate players that are loudmouth, arrogant pricks but have never backed it up on the field.

Rhodes and Brick have played in one playoff game in their entire lives. But they want to yap and boast about how great we're going to be. Prove it. Shut the **** up and prove it.

Oh, and a player can be "confident" without saying asinine **** to the media three times a week.

Rex has them feeling good about themselves and the team... your just another fan who wants to find a reason to pick apart a player he does not even know.

Rex has them feeling good about themselves and the team... your just another fan who wants to find a reason to pick apart a player he does not even know.

No, I'm a fan that's pissed off that my team, which has made the playoffs a grand total of ONCE in the last FOUR years is talking about winning a Super Bowl eight months after they lost four of their last five games to choke their way out of the playoffs.

Win something. Then talk all the **** you want. I'll be right there with you. But right now, stop talking about how ****ing great you think you're gonna be, and for once, ACTUALLY BE GREAT.

What do you want him to say? I hope we're going to win 4 games? They have high expectations of themselves.

I want them to not predict Super Bowl victories when they haven't won a playoff game in 5 ****ing years.

You guys act like it's either "We're gonna get a top five pick!" or "We're gonna win the Super Bowl!". There's a medium, you know. A player doesn't have to say the team is going to suck, just as he doesn't have to make predictions about spooning with the Lombardi Trophy.

We're not winning five games this year, what is he talking about?

He's probably referring to the new humble-pie eating contest for NFL coaches and players that the NFL has scheduled as part of the festivities during Super Bowl week. I suppose ol' Rex believes its good to win anything you can during Super Bowl week.

I'm really loving the vibe of the Jets this year. I hope no one takes this as pompousness. They really seem to be taking this approach seriously. Its not just Brick and the "D" talking like this, Its the Offense and even the damn special teams.

I have to admit. Im proud of these guys already.

You mean the Fins and the Steelers. no need to be giving these dudes unsolicited accomplishment when they're not the team that were in the playoffs last year.

They went 11-5 without one of the best QBs in the history of civilization.

I don't think it's much of a stretch.

I want them to not predict Super Bowl victories when they haven't won a playoff game in 5 ****ing years.

You guys act like it's either "We're gonna get a top five pick!" or "We're gonna win the Super Bowl!". There's a medium, you know. A player doesn't have to say the team is going to suck, just as he doesn't have to make predictions about spooning with the Lombardi Trophy.

So you want them to calm down and predict they will be mediocre... lol

Dont bull**** us... if Dbrick came out and said they just want to improve on last year and get into the playoffs you would say he has a case of the Penningtons.

So you want them to calm down and predict they will be mediocre... lol

Dont bull**** us... if Dbrick came out and said they just want to improve on last year and get into the playoffs you would say he has a case of the Penningtons.

No, I want the second thing you suggested.

I want Brick to come out and say that it's his goal to wash away the disappointment of last season and say he's going to bust his ass and do everything in his power to help the New York Jets return to the postseason.

That's what I want him to say. Not to arrogantly predict a Super Bowl championship for a team that hasn't been to the playoffs in three ****ing years. I heard things like this before 2005. How did that work out for us? Answer: It's the reason Brick is on the team in the first place.

Yeah, I ****ing hate players with confidence.

False confidence I suppose, which equals too ****iness. We all know how this worked out for Jon Kitna, and I ****ing hate that guy. He just sounds stupid predicting a superbowl win. We need more walking, less talking. Be like NIKE...Just do it!

Archived