Red Sox Eye Billy Wagner

Otter

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2009/08/report_sox_reje.html

Report: Sox reject Wagner's conditions

If Jonathan Papelbon still has any concerns about Billy Wagner replacing someone in the Red Sox' bullpen, they may prove moot, since it's looking increasingly unlikely that the 38-year-old lefthander will be coming to Boston.

According to a report by FoxSports' Ken Rosenthal, the Red Sox chances of acquiring Wagner, whom they claimed on waivers from the Mets on Friday, are in "serious jeopardy" after the club rejected Wagner's two conditions for waiving his no-trade clause.

Bean Stringfellow, Wagner's agent, told Rosenthal that Wagner wants assurance that the Red Sox will not pick up his $8 million club option for next season. According to the report, Wagner also requested that the Red Sox not offer salary arbitration, thus making him a more appealing option as free agent since the team signing him would not be required to forfeit draft picks.

Wagner is currently projected to be a Type A free agent, meaning that any team that signed him would have to sacrifice two high draft picks as compensation.

Wagner received mostly positive reviews after returning to the Mets on Thursday following an 11-month rehabilitation after Tommy John surgery, though ESPN's Buster Olney reported that talent evaluators for other teams wondered if he had a hard time getting loose in the bullpen.

Wagner has 385 saves in his 15-year career. He told the Associated Press this afternoon that he wants to remain a closer next season, which is why he wants the option declined.

"I don't want to end my career as a setup man," Wagner said. "I'd like to have that option."

Wagner, who ranks sixth on the all-times saves list, indicated one of his goals is to get to 400 saves, and perhaps even pass John Franco, who is first among lefthanders all time with 424 saves.

"I'd like to get at that level," Wagner said. "There's not many people in that 400 club."

In his report, Rosenthal also speculated on the thought-process of the Red Sox and Mets at the moment:

The Sox still might find Wagner appealing as a six-week rental even if they promised not to pick up his option or offer him arbitration. But their loss of 2010 control in accepting such conditions would diminish their willingness to part with a better prospect.

The Mets could save the nearly $3.5 million remaining on Wagner's contract simply by allowing him to leave for the Red Sox. But if no deal is reached, they might prefer to pull him back from waivers, retaining the possibility of offering him arbitration and injecting two high picks into their depleted farm system.

At the moment, Wagner said he's just waiting to see how it all plays out.

"Bean can't talk to Boston, so he doesn't know any more than I really know. So right now we're just kind of in limbo," Wagner said.

^^^Smokescreen

Sounds like the Sox are just starting to realize how silly it is to give that kind of money to a setup guy when you're probably going to finish 3rd in the division anyway.

3rd in the division? I just think you don't want to play the Sox come playoff time. Who would?

As noted by MLB.com's Ian Browne, veteran reliever Billy Wagner said Monday that he expects to remain with the Mets.

Wagner was claimed off waivers by the Red Sox last week and the two sides have until 1 p.m. EST Tuesday to spin a deal. "Unless something changes, I'll probably be a Met [tomorrow]," the 38-year-old left-hander said Monday evening. "I'm too old to set up. I don't want to go there and feel like I need to impress someone. That may not be good for them or for me." Jonathan Papelbon will be pleased to hear the news.

If you're too old to set up, you're too old to close and you just lost your chance on being on a playoff relevant team for this year and your future is in jeopardy next season. Way to go Billy.

As noted by MLB.com's Ian Browne, veteran reliever Billy Wagner said Monday that he expects to remain with the Mets.

Wagner was claimed off waivers by the Red Sox last week and the two sides have until 1 p.m. EST Tuesday to spin a deal. "Unless something changes, I'll probably be a Met [tomorrow]," the 38-year-old left-hander said Monday evening. "I'm too old to set up. I don't want to go there and feel like I need to impress someone. That may not be good for them or for me." Jonathan Papelbon will be pleased to hear the news.

If you're too old to set up, you're too old to close and you just lost your chance on being on a playoff relevant team for this year and your future is in jeopardy next season. Way to go Billy.

I don't understand Wagner's thinking. He's not going to get $8 million on the open market this off-season. Accept the trade based on the Red Sox picking up the option. Then the Red Sox could trade him after the season is over.

I don't know why the Red Sox would want him anyway. This is a blessing in disguise for them.

Yeah, a drop in the bucket in comparison to what I've seen the Yankees do in my life time.

You are 35 years old. You've seen six, probably only remember 5.

Either that's a pretty big bucket or one giant drop.

With your pitching? Doubt it

I think Theo knows the truth

PS.....Buchholz looked TERRIBLE tonight

I don't understand Wagner's thinking. He's not going to get $8 million on the open market this off-season. Accept the trade based on the Red Sox picking up the option. Then the Red Sox could trade him after the season is over.

I don't know why the Red Sox would want him anyway. This is a blessing in disguise for them.

IMHO I think Wagner would be a great addition to the Red Sox bullpen. I'm hoping a deal can be worked out. If not it's Billy's loss.

Yeah 3x as many.

Plus your 2 are 100% tainted!:Nuts:

You stated it was a drop in the bucket. You can probably fit at least 10,000 drops in a bucket. Using these conservative numbers, by your estimation, you have seen 3,333 Yankee Championships in your lifetime.

If you think that those 4 from the 90's aren't tainted, you are fooling yourself.

You stated it was a drop in the bucket. You can probably fit at least 10,000 drops in a bucket. Using these conservative numbers, by your estimation, you have seen 3,333 Yankee Championships in your lifetime.

If you think that those 4 from the 90's aren't tainted, you are fooling yourself.

Ok take them a way, so instead of 3x as many it's 2-0, much better.

Yeah, shakin in my boots. :rolleyes: What's the Sox record since the AS break again?

The Yanks will be playing the Rays in the ALCS. And it will be a tough one.

The Rays aren't making the playoffs. And records don't matter come playoff time.

With your pitching? Doubt it

I think Theo knows the truth

PS.....Buchholz looked TERRIBLE tonight

Buchholz did not pitch well last night. He is also coming off of 3 straight good performances, one of which your Yankees were front row spectators of. Expecting a guy that young or any pitcher to just reel of those kind of performances game after game after game is just plain stupid. There are always going to be growing pains. His command is coming along and there are reasons to be encouraged.

And the Sox pitching is getting healthy again. All reports on Dice-K are good. Wakes is back tomorrow. And I bet there aren't many teams lining up to face Beckett and Lester come playoff time.

The Rays aren't making the playoffs. And records don't matter come playoff time.

Buchholz did not pitch well last night. He is also coming off of 3 straight good performances, one of which your Yankees were front row spectators of. Expecting a guy that young or any pitcher to just reel of those kind of performances game after game after game is just plain stupid. There are always going to be growing pains. His command is coming along and there are reasons to be encouraged.

And the Sox pitching is getting healthy again. All reports on Dice-K are good. Wakes is back tomorrow. And I bet there aren't many teams lining up to face Beckett and Lester come playoff time.

LOL. Hanging your hat on Dice-K and Wakefield. This is rich.

Records don't matter plenty come playoff time? Really? News to me and everyone else. I was under the impression that the teams with the best records got into the playoffs. Apparently you are under the impression that the Sux just get a pass and are in. You're going to be rudely awakened.

Teams that play under .500 ball after the All Star break don't make the playoffs.

The Rangers and Rays will both finish ahead of the Sox in the AL overall standings.

LOL. Hanging your hat on Dice-K and Wakefield. This is rich.

Records don't matter plenty come playoff time? Really? News to me and everyone else. I was under the impression that the teams with the best records got into the playoffs. Apparently you are under the impression that the Sux just get a pass and are in. You're going to be rudely awakened.

Teams that play under .500 ball after the All Star break don't make the playoffs.

The Rangers and Rays will both finish ahead of the Sox in the AL overall standings.

The Sox play something like their next 18 out of 25 at home, the race for the east is not over.

Archived