The Crabtree Situation

ZachEY

Before you get all crazy, I'm not suggesting the Jets get involved, but I'm wondering if SF could trade him? At what point do you cut your loses on this guy and see if you can't pick up a 1st rounder, or even a 2nd rounder in next years draft for him?

He's about to miss the 2nd week, and there's really no signs of this ending any time soon. I assume SF gets no compenstation if he re-enters the draft... So why not make him the highest bidder's problem. Surely some team would part with something for him. No?

Before you get all crazy, I'm not suggesting the Jets get involved, but I'm wondering if SF could trade him? At what point do you cut your loses on this guy and see if you can't pick up a 1st rounder, or even a 2nd rounder in next years draft for him?

He's about to miss the 2nd week, and there's really no signs of this ending any time soon. I assume SF gets no compenstation if he re-enters the draft... So why not make him the highest bidder's problem. Surely some team would part with something for him. No?

Next years #1 is fine with me

Can they trade him before they sign him? Im asking because I don;t know. Not that he will, but if Tanny pulled that off Tanny better be going to Canton.

Does anyone really want him? He basically wants to change the way draft picks are paid because he feels he should get more than DHB. Dude is prepared to sit out the entire season rather than take "only" 5 million dollars a year. 5 million a year that he hasn't earned yet. Can you say headcase?

Does anyone really want him? He basically wants to change the way draft picks are paid because he feels he should get more than DHB. Dude is prepared to sit out the entire season rather than take "only" 5 million dollars a year. 5 million a year that he hasn't earned yet. Can you say headcase?

he can make much more in NY off the field

He's young fast and talented. He could club baby seals on the way to the stadium and I still would take him. Im 45, times running out for me.

have to sign and trade i think.. and that takes cooperation from everyone

Yeah, and he's already reportedly turned down a contract that offered the largest per slot increase vs. last year's first rounders. What's it gonna take to get him signed?

Personally, I think he's an idiot and a problem child who's not worth the trouble. If this is how he behaves before he's even in the league, how's he going to be if he's actually a good NFL receiver? Despite the Jets shortcomings at the position, I'd have no interest.

Yeah, and he's already reportedly turned down a contract that offered the largest per slot increase vs. last year's first rounders. What's it gonna take to get him signed?

Personally, I think he's an idiot and a problem child who's not worth the trouble. If this is how he behaves before he's even in the league, how's he going to be if he's actually a good NFL receiver? Despite the Jets shortcomings at the position, I'd have no interest.

I don't think I would want him either, as I said in the 1st sentence, I'm just curious if anyone knows the logistics and if other people had thoughts on the idea in general.

1. trade deadline for unsigned players has passed.

So in order to trade SF would have to sign first.

If they sign and trade his entire signing bonus would hit the 49ers cap this year. Odds are they neither have the room nor inclination unless someone was to offer a lot.

--------

2. Crabtree would not solve the Jets WR woes for this year. It typically takes a couple of years for a WR to become truely effective. Some really outstanding ones, learn the job in training camp. He has already missed that. He might be good enough to be activiated on game day and used as a back up round week 10 of the season.

------

In other news Crabtree has recently stated that his boyhood idol was the baseball player Matt Harrington.

I think if San Fran doesn't sign him, he becomes eligible for the 2010 draft.

Yes, that we know for sure. And that's what he's threatening. But, you would think San Fran would try to sell him first, and I'm not sure they get anything back for him if he refuses to sign.

If they sign and trade his entire signing bonus would hit the 49ers cap this year. Odds are they neither have the room nor inclination unless someone was to offer a lot.

--------

2. Crabtree would not solve the Jets WR woes for this year. It typically takes a couple of years for a WR to become truely effective. Some really outstanding ones, learn the job in training camp. He has already missed that. He might be good enough to be activiated on game day and used as a back up round week 10 of the season.

------

In other news Crabtree has recently stated that his boyhood idol was the baseball player Matt Harrington.

for next year skippy

jets will be drafting in 20's in 2010

worth a gamble

--------

------

Thanks... This is what I was looking for.

The signing bonus could be gotten around as they would have to make a deal that didn't include a signing bonus but other guarentees and roster bonuses (some of which would have to hit immediately)

Agreed... I don't think it makes sense for the Jets to do it, but there are a bunch of teams, even the Giants, who it could make a lot of sense for.

What the hell is this guy's problem? Doesn't he know it's just mo' money mo' problems?

Plus, sitting out a whole year? Stupid move if he does do that. He should have signed and been playing already. He's going to totally screw up his career- doubt he's the exception. He's not for the Jets. We can draft/trade/sign for someone in the offseason and we will be fine.

Dont worry everybody Mr T is going to give up our 1st 2nd and a second in 2011 to trade up and draft Dez Bryant who needs more than 2 or 3 draft picks a yaer anyway. San Fran can trade his rights away before next years draft but not until the free agent signing period starts in the offseason and they have up until midnight the night before the draft then he gets put back in the draft pool.

EY, the deadline to trade Crabtree's draft rights passed in August. His rights can't be traded.

The only option is a sign-and-trade before the trading deadline in October. But for that to work there can't be a signing bonus because the cap hit against the Niners would be prohibitive.

Why would you say that? WR’s are one of the high bust Positions. Ask the Lions.

Crabtree hasn’t caught a single ball, and already he is making a tool out of himself.

The only guarantee you have with Crabtree is that he is going to be a pain in the rear.

Right now, and it is very early, I would think there are 4, maybe 5 1st round WR’s

Damian Williams, USC

Arrelious Benn, Illinois

Dez Bryant, Oklahoma State

Brandon LaFell, LSU

Golden Tate, Notre Dame

Plus there might be some excellent FA WR's, or maybe a trade. If the Jets are going to sign a guaranteed pain in the rear WR, i would rather it be one who has played well in the NFL.

It depends on how crabtree was rated by jets scouts

if they say go who are we to argue...

Do not trust DOmers in NFL

Dez will be in top 5 out of our reach without major trade up

Plus there might be some excellent FA WR's, or maybe a trade. If the Jets are going to sign a guaranteed pain in the rear WR, i would rather it be one who has played well in the NFL.

I looked at the list and I don't think there is going to be much in the way of unrestricted FA WRs. If they don't sign a CBA, then all those rookie year contracts coming up (Marshall, Edwards, etc) will all be restricted and will require a trade. Call me crazy, but I think I might prefer Crabtree to Marshall or Edwards.

OTOH, I don't think there is any guarantee Crabtree is particularly fast. IIRC, he was hurt and didn't run at he combine or his pro day and I know there were at least a couple of "experts" expecting him to run high 4.5s or 4.6. Is that a #1? Funniest part is how he had the surgery before his pro day and workouts "to be ready for the season" and everybody was lauding him for foregoing some draft position for the sake of helping out his long term career and future team.

EY, the deadline to trade Crabtree's draft rights passed in August. His rights can't be traded.

The only option is a sign-and-trade before the trading deadline in October. But for that to work there can't be a signing bonus because the cap hit against the Niners would be prohibitive.

Your right.

It's not going to happen because I think a GM would have to be insane to sign this guy right now, but like you said they could give him a no bonus contract, with another contract agreed upon, by the team he will be traded to with a big 2010 roster bonus, or something like that.

Only owner I could see doing that is Al Davis

Archived