Will Herm Ever Win The SuperBowl

Maxman

As head coach of the New York Jets, will Herman Edwards ever win the Super Bowl?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. As head coach of the New York Jets, will Herman Edwards ever win the Super Bowl?

A resounding yes...do you realize how close we were last year? The Patsie thing is over, it's open season on the Lombardi Trophy.

Exactly how close where you last year jetswin?

You were a FG away from getting your arse handed to you for a 3rd time in one season.

Yep, the Pats dynasty is surely over. :shock::shock:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly how close where you last year jetswin?

You were a FG away from getting your arse handed to you for a 3rd time in one season.

Yep, the Pats dynasty is surely over. :shock::shock:

the louder they are....the louder they are

Anyway it'll be sweet kicking the Pats butt this season. 8)

As we all know, no African American has ever won a SB. So, having stated that, you have to ask yourself, are the Jets front runners ever? Back in '69 we were, but that was 36 years ago and we haven't really come close since.

I just wish Denny Green who coached in a market (MInny)that wasn't as nuts as NY, could have paved the road because I really think that being the first black HC is an added pressure that is bigger then you think. So, add in the pressure of being a HC in NY and everything else that goes with it, sorry to say, but no.

As we all know, no African American has ever won a SB. So, having stated that, you have to ask yourself, are the Jets front runners ever? Back in '69 we were, but that was 36 years ago and we haven't really come close since.

I just wish Denny Green who coached in a market (MInny)that wasn't as nuts as NY, could have paved the road because I really think that being the first black HC is an added pressure that is bigger then you think. So, add in the pressure of being a HC in NY and everything else that goes with it, sorry to say, but no.

It will be nice when Romeo Crennel wins a title.

So, having stated that, you have to ask yourself, are the Jets front runners ever? Back in '69 we were, but that was 36 years ago and we haven't really come close since.

Ah, the Jets were friggn' 17.5 point underdogs against the Colts.

I would hardly call that "front runner" status. :shock::shock:

When I said "front runners", I was referring to the Jets being the first AFL team to beat an NFL team, thus the merger.

Thus the merger?

The merger was agreed upon during the summer of 1966 to take place the beginning of the 1970 season.

The Jets had absolutely nothing to do with the merger.

At least get your facts straight.

TEX, you are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

If the Jets lost to the Colts, the AFL was going to pull out of the merger, fearing further embarrassment.

Thanks Shane my man, it seems these Pat fans are way over their head with these SB victories...I know us Jet fans would never let fame clog our knowledge of football... :wink:

ok..ggg, does that mean you have given up on next season already?maybe with hendu and dinger ...he can do it. :) i a am just not ready to concede yet. call me an optimist.;)

Das my GIRL! C'mon people, if we're already accepting the fact that we will not win a Super Bowl next year or any other under Herman Edwards, then what is the point of spending all this time on a message board discussing that very topic?

Thus the merger?

The merger was agreed upon during the summer of 1966 to take place the beginning of the 1970 season.

The Jets had absolutely nothing to do with the merger.

At least get your facts straight.

Hey Tex Hermanator is one of my Best Bud's so

be Nice or We'll take his Chopper to your Trailer

in Texas and Blow holes in it like he did in Nam!! :lol:

Many believe that had Al Davis been given the opportunity to continue his efforts, the NFL would have folded, or capitulated to join the AFL, rather than the AFL losing its identity.

I guess you missed this TS.

Hey Tex Hermanator is one of my Best Bud's so be Nice or We'll take his Chopper to your Trailer in Texas and Blow holes in it like he did in Nam!! :lol:

Jeopardy Answer: Hermanator and Savage69.

Jeopardy Question: Who are two MFers that I would never screw with?

Many believe that had Al Davis been given the opportunity to continue his efforts, the NFL would have folded, or capitulated to join the AFL, rather than the AFL losing its identity.

I guess you missed this TS.

Isn't this what TS was saying?

Isn't this what TS was saying?

No, TS is saying if the Jets got blown out the AFL-NFL merger was going to collapse and that the Jets victory somehow ensured what we have today.

Jets fans seem to think the AFL was some week puppy begging for survival. That is far from the case, if Al Davis had been the commisioner earlier instead of Foss, the AFL would have went for the jugular. They were the young upstart league trying to push aside a league that had not been challenged.

No, TS is saying if the Jets got blown out the AFL-NFL merger was going to collapse and that the Jets victory somehow ensured what we have today.

Jets fans seem to think the AFL was some week puppy begging for survival. That is far from the case, if Al Davis had been the commisioner earlier instead of Foss, the AFL would have went for the jugular. They were the young upstart league trying to push aside a league that had not been challenged.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The AFL was the trendy, maverick, more marketable league that was beginning to pull market share away from the NFL. The NFL was still smoking the AFL on the field, and Al Davis saw that it was in the best interests of the AFL to NOT get their asses kicked by the big, bad NFL consistently, so if the Jets got killed, they would have pulled out and let the AFL naturally assume dominance by economically ruining the NFL and simply over-paying talent, as they had begun doing already. BUT because the Jets WON, the AFL thought it could safely enter into a partnership with the NFL right away instead of waiting.

One day if you get the chance, listen to Lenny Dawson's interview and what it felt like watching the Jets beat the Colts in SB3. He was in the stands and he said when the game was over, he felt vindicated. He went on to say that the "old AFL" finally shed that weak sister label.

That's all I meant by "front runners"...the Jets paved the way for the old AFL.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The AFL was the trendy, maverick, more marketable league that was beginning to pull market share away from the NFL. The NFL was still smoking the AFL on the field, and Al Davis saw that it was in the best interests of the AFL to NOT get their asses kicked by the big, bad NFL consistently, so if the Jets got killed, they would have pulled out and let the AFL naturally assume dominance by economically ruining the NFL and simply over-paying talent, as they had begun doing already. BUT because the Jets WON, the AFL thought it could safely enter into a partnership with the NFL right away instead of waiting.

Not necessarily TS. When the merger was agreed upon in 1966, they started to play preseason games. Yes, today the preseason is a joke, but back then it was a war as the NFL's owners and good portion of the players looked down upon the AFL.

The AFL won their fair share of these games. The only thing the Jets victory did, was show the NFL was overrated and the supposed gulf between the leagues was not that great. The Jets victory was the first official victory of the AFl over an NFL team.

Tex, there's nothing in that article that refutes what I said. The AFL was going to back out of the merger if the Jets got blown out. They wanted no part of looking like the NFL's b!tches.

TS, as an English lit major I would expect better reading comprehension.

It was a friggn'n done deal in 1966.

Keep blowing that Jet smoke up your bunghole.

Super Bowl III had NOTHING to do with the merger.

Das my GIRL! C'mon people, if we're already accepting the fact that we will not win a Super Bowl next year or any other under Herman Edwards, then what is the point of spending all this time on a message board discussing that very topic?

thanks 80 :) i appreciate the support ;) i am just not going to give up yet.

It's unrealistic to think that the two leagues would have gone through with the merger if the Jets had lost.

Why?

Let's forget the fact that the Jets were like the third best AFL team that year and that the Colts were the best the NFL had to offer.

The player war was costing both sides money. The AFL had lined up several deep pocket owners and could out last the NFL. Especially once they got a TV contract which they received around 1963 or 1964 I believe.

Once they had a contract, it was not matter if the old cronies could outlast the young AFL, but when they would merge.

Plus, it would have been only three losses. You did not see the NFC separate from the AFC when they lost like 13 Superbowls in a row.

The features of the merger were dependent on passage of a law by the United States 89th Congress, exempting the merged leagues from antitrust law sanctions.

Many observers believed that the NFL got the better of the bargain. Al Davis and New York Jets owner Sonny Werblin resisted the indemnity payments. Long-time AFL writer Jerry Magee of the San Diego Union wrote: "Al Davis taking over as commissioner was the strongest thing the AFL ever did. He thought the AFL-NFL merger was a detriment to the AFL." Many believe that had Al Davis been given the opportunity to continue his efforts, the NFL would have folded, or capitulated to join the AFL, rather than the AFL losing its identity. That action was bitter for thousands of American Football League fans who wanted their league to continue. Those feelings were reinforced when American Football League teams won the final two AFL-NFL World Championship games after the 1968 and 1969 seasons.

call me an optimist.;)

Pessimists are realists

Optimists are fools

Cynicism - that's the way!

It should be taught in schools.

--BTJF, Creative Writing Class, 1978

The answer, by the way, is no. Clown boy will keep us out of Super Bowls.

DAMN CHOWDS...you think you have all the answers but you are so off it isn't even funny anymore...its like your lives revolve on the jets mistakes & mis-calculations...you can't even acknowledge what they did for the AFL & thus your stinking patsies* too..and don't forget, we gave you Cindy Brady in a sense...at least you can thank us (& Mo to be more precise) for that....DAMN CHOWDS

DAMN CHOWDS...you think you have all the answers but you are so off it isn't even funny anymore...its like your lives revolve on the jets mistakes & mis-calculations...you can't even acknowledge what they did for the AFL & thus your stinking patsies* too..and don't forget, we gave you Cindy Brady in a sense...at least you can thank us (& Mo to be more precise) for that....DAMN CHOWDS

13 - It is not that. The Jets win in Superbowl III or World Bowl III or whatever it was called, was the final exclamation point that the AFL had arrived.

Jets fans want to make it out like it was Chaminade beating Virginia or USA beating the USSR in hockey. It was not. The Jets were the third best team in the AFL that year behind Oakland and KC. They easily dispatched the best the NFL had to offer. What does that tell you? The AFL was better then advertised and the NFL was not as good as advertised.

Again, the Jets victory was not the sole reason the AFL existed, it was merely the last in a long line of events. There was so much more. Al Davis played the roles as a coach, owner and commisioner brilliantly.

13 - It is not that. The Jets win in Superbowl III or World Bowl III or whatever it was called, was the final exclamation point that the AFL had arrived.

Jets fans want to make it out like it was Chaminade beating Virginia or USA beating the USSR in hockey. It was not. The Jets were the third best team in the AFL that year behind Oakland and KC. They easily dispatched the best the NFL had to offer. What does that tell you? The AFL was better then advertised and the NFL was not as good as advertised.

Again, the Jets victory was not the sole reason the AFL existed, it was merely the last in a long line of events. There was so much more. Al Davis played the roles as a coach, owner and commisioner brilliantly.

That's a fair assessment PFSIKH..On a emotional

level for the players in the AFL though it was

HUGE!! The Jets were the First Team to beat A Top

NFL Team where the Raiders and Chiefs had failed

the previous 2 Bowls..Even after the Jets Bowl Win

Wellinton Mara called the Jets Lucky and the AFL a

Mickey Mouse League and Bragged the Giants would

beat them like a red headed step child in the coming

pre season..Jets Killed them 37-14!!

That's a fair assessment PFSIKH..On a emotional

level for the players in the AFL though it was

HUGE!! The Jets were the First Team to beat A Top

NFL Team where the Raiders and Chiefs had failed

the previous 2 Bowls..Even after the Jets Bowl Win

Wellinton Mara called the Jets Lucky and the AFL a

Mickey Mouse League and Bragged the Giants would

beat them like a red headed step child in the coming

pre season..Jets Killed them 37-14!!

Savage - I know. I read a book that chronciled the 10 year history of the AFL and there were many interesting characters in the AFL's early years. IMHO if not for Rozelle, the AFL would have probably buried the NFL.

With the AFL, it was a matter of when, not if. The Jets victory was the first official victory of the AFL over the NFL. In that view, it is a historic victory. The only thing I am saying is that it brought the merger on or saved it. That does not give credit ot the pioneers in the AFL.

Here's the deal:

1) The Jets win over the Colts in Super Bowl III had absolutely nothing to do with the merger. It was a foregone conclusion prior to that Super Bowl game.

2) What the Jets did with that win was give the AFL instant credibility as the two leagues merged. Even Pats fans can't ignore that.

Here's the deal:

1) The Jets win over the Colts in Super Bowl III had absolutely nothing to do with the merger. It was a foregone conclusion prior to that Super Bowl game.

2) What the Jets did with that win was give the AFL instant credibility as the two leagues merged. Even Pats fans can't ignore that.

Why would the AFL go through with the merger after getting beat down 3 straight times in the Super Bowl? The AFL owners had deeper pockets and could outlast and take down the owners with money rather than get beat down in a game that was failing to attract fans anyway. That game catipulted the ratings and attendence of future super bowls. I know that the NFL claims that the attendence was high for the first 3 super bowls. But by all acounts attendence was so low that they moved all the fans to midfield to make it look like the place was packed for the TV cameras. The bottom line is Super Bowl 3 put the Super Bowl event on the map with other large events at that time and paved the way for the AFL and NFL to both have mutual interest in continuing the merger process. I can't believe you guys are even trying to argue with this. Even Giant fans accept this as truth.

Pessimists are realists

Optimists are fools

Cynicism - that's the way!

It should be taught in schools.

--BTJF, Creative Writing Class, 1978

can you believe they let this fool teach? ;) on the other hand...don't answer that! :lol:

Archived