***OFFICIAL 2009 WORLD SERIES GAME THREAD- Philadelphia Phillies v NY Yankees***

Vudu

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great win for the Yankees. They fell behind early but Andy settled down and they bounced back. The offense came alive, Marte, and Joba were lights out. Mo did what Mo does. And they got Swisher back along with a better game from Damon.

The only downside is Hughes gave up the HR. But I think the Yankees are feeling much better about the pen after todays results.

Nothing worse than a yankee victory. Chearing against this all star team is tire-some and futile. But to keep pace with the rest of the country, it is a necessary evil.

I hope the worst ills in the world bestow your millionaires...i mean roid boys...i mean baseball players.

Death to the Yankees! Who's with me???

Nothing worse than a yankee victory. Chearing against this all star team is tire-some and futile. But to keep pace with the rest of the country, it is a necessary evil.

I hope the worst ills in the world bestow your millionaires...i mean roid boys...i mean baseball players.

there's no cap limit, why be a crybaby and blame the Yankees for taking advantage of that?

Go cry to the commisioner...seriously.

Whhhaaa!!!

Great win for the Yankees. They fell behind early but Andy settled down and they bounced back. The offense came alive, Marte, and Joba were lights out. Mo did what Mo does. And they got Swisher back along with a better game from Damon.

The only downside is Hughes gave up the HR. But I think the Yankees are feeling much better about the pen after todays results.

Matsui's pinch hit homer was huge too.

He is one of the best situational hitters I've ever seen, he's very clutch.

I'm Gonna miss him, really wish they could keep him as a bench/DH player.

Go cry to the commisioner...seriously.

got a number?

This must be a huge series for you...wow, you beat out the red sox and rays for the division...past the mighty Twins for the divisional and oh my god...the Angels???? Wow...epic...

Now you have the Phillies who have one great pitcher and a good lineup. You did it...the highest sports honor in sports is yours and you beat...??? Congrats, losing a single game in the WS is a joke to team steroids/payroll...:rl:

got a number?

This must be a huge series for you...wow, you beat out the red sox and rays for the division...past the mighty Twins for the divisional and oh my god...the Angels???? Wow...epic...

Now you have the Phillies who have one great pitcher and a good lineup. You did it...the highest sports honor in sports is yours and you beat...??? Congrats, losing a single game in the WS is a joke to team steroids/payroll...:rl:

Whhhaaa!!!

Amazing how those Angels swept the sox and the Phillies won 3 straight division titles and a WS.

Pathetic!

whhaaa nothin...just laughing at how you even care about this joke of a series. You have about 5 teams to beat out in given year and it takes you more than 4 games to win a WS? What a joke.
So you are laughing that the Yankees are 2 wins away from winning number 27, interesting.

It's such a joke, so what does that make the team you root for? They could not even make this "joke of a series"

SOUR GRAPES!!!

Hilarious!!! :rl:

Whhhaaa!!!

Amazing how those Angels swept the sox and the Phillies won 3 straight division titles and a WS.

Pathetic!

whhaaa nothin...just laughing at how you even care about this joke of a series. You have about 5 teams to beat out in given year and it takes you more than 4 games to win a WS? What a joke.

You know I think you are a really good poster. But I have to say you are coming off really small in this thread.

I have been to a TON of Yankee games over the years. You know what? It is really expensive. I started a thread on it, but it cost me about $250 to bring my son to a meaningless late season game in bad seats.

What is the point?

The local fans are paying for that payroll. The Yankees are playing within the rules so boo-hoo. Funny though nobody was complaining from 2001-now because the Yankees made bad moves. Now they make a bunch of good moves and all the hate starts again.

For all the payroll whining people overlook a few things:

• They overpaid in some cases to reward players that have FOUR RINGS. Jeter, Posada, Mariano and Andy make a lot of money.
  • In 1996 when the Yankees started winning those rings their payroll was # 1, barely. The # 2 team was pretty close.
  • Joba, Hughes, Robertson, Cano, Coke, Melky, Aceves, Bruney, Gardner along with Jeter, Posada, Mo and Andy are all players that came through the Yankees farm system. That is a lot of home grown talent.

The Yankees win because Jeter gets clutch hits and Mariano is the greatest reliever of all time. Both came up through the minor leagues. Stop hating. :razz:

You know I think you are a really good poster. But I have to say you are coming off really small in this thread.

I have been to a TON of Yankee games over the years. You know what? It is really expensive. I started a thread on it, but it cost me about $250 to bring my son to a meaningless late season game in bad seats.

What is the point?

The local fans are paying for that payroll. The Yankees are playing within the rules so boo-hoo. Funny though nobody was complaining from 2001-now because the Yankees made bad moves. Now they make a bunch of good moves and all the hate starts again.

For all the payroll whining people overlook a few things:

• They overpaid in some cases to reward players that have FOUR RINGS. Jeter, Posada, Mariano and Andy make a lot of money.
  • In 1996 when the Yankees started winning those rings their payroll was # 1, barely. The # 2 team was pretty close.
  • Joba, Hughes, Robertson, Cano, Coke, Melky, Aceves, Bruney, Gardner along with Jeter, Posada, Mo and Andy are all players that came through the Yankees farm system. That is a lot of home grown talent.

The Yankees win because Jeter gets clutch hits and Mariano is the greatest reliever of all time. Both came up through the minor leagues. Stop hating. :razz:

Please Max, don't let the facts get in the way of the hate! :D

I think you're missing the point. Who gives a **** about this series? Oh yeah, aside from New York, which believe, me...does exist.

So you have some players through your farm system, so do other teams on your roster. I'm just here laughing at the fact that you have to beat out the Mets (sort of), Red Sox, Rays (for a couple more years), Dodgers, Phillies and maybe the Cardinals. Wow, this must be really thrilling for you to tie up some victories.

Coming up small or not, this series is a joke.

I think you're missing the point. Who gives a **** about this series? Oh yeah, aside from New York, which believe, me...does exist.

So you have some players through your farm system, so do other teams on your roster. I'm just here laughing at the fact that you have to beat out the Mets (sort of), Red Sox, Rays (for a couple more years), Dodgers, Phillies and maybe the Cardinals. Wow, this must be really thrilling for you to tie up some victories.

Kind of sounds like you care and it hurts! :rl:

Oh and can you explain to me how we have other teams on our roster? :yawn:

Kind of sounds like you care and it hurts! :rl:

Oh and can you explain to me how we have other teams on our roster? :yawn:

Teixeira - FA from Angels

Rodriguez* - Trade with Rangers

Swisher - Trade with White Sox

Damon - FA from Red Sox

Matsui - FA Japan

Sabathia - FA Brewers/Indians

Burnett - FA Blue Jays

Pettitte* - Owes career to steroids and then resigned FA from Astros

Although Mariano and Jeter are a couple of class act players and some of the best MLB has to offer...their teammates are just purchased. The yanks do have more home grown guys than in years past...Either way, they still only have to beat out about five or six teams year in and year out.

and boo freakin hoo on paying a lot for tickets. I don't understand why anyone would pay to watch them play JV talent for most of the year.

Cano is fine. There is more stupid bitching in this thread than just Drago. Cano hit a couple of shots up the middle in the first two games that should have been hits and a shot to left that Ibanez had to dive to catch. Benching him would be moronic even if there were even another guy to play second. Sometimes you have to play a guy that's slumping so you get the payoff when he comes out of it. Same goes for Jorge Por-hay.

Damon - FA from Red Sox

Matsui - FA Japan

Burnett - FA Blue Jays

Although Mariano and Jeter are a couple of class act players and some of the best MLB has to offer...their teammates are just purchased. The yanks do have more home grown guys than in years past...Either way, they still only have to beat out about five or six teams year in and year out.

and boo freakin hoo on paying a lot for tickets. I don't understand why anyone would pay to watch them play JV talent for most of the year.

:lol:

Cano is fine. There is more stupid bitching in this thread than just Drago. Cano hit a couple of shots up the middle in the first two games that should have been hits and a shot to left that Ibanez had to dive to catch. Benching him would be moronic even if there were even another guy to play second. Sometimes you have to play a guy that's slumping so you get the payoff when he comes out of it. Same goes for Jorge Por-hay.

His problem, aside from being a "lazy Dominican" of course, is that he's not first pitch swinging and pitchers are throwing him off-speed stuff for strike 1. They're keeping him guessing on the plate. He just needs to sit on curve/change up on first pitch, not worry about the count, and swing away. Cano's best when he's not thinking so much, and he's horrible when he falls behind. Case in point:

Split BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP tOPS+
First Pitch 0 0 .374 .374 .578 .952 309 19 2 131
1-0 Count 0 0 .349 .355 .532 .887 151 14 4 116
2-0 Count 0 0 .357 .353 .524 .877 44 4 0 113
3-0 Count 59 0 .000 .952 .000 .952 0 0 0 181
0-1 Count 0 0 .364 .366 .593 .959 210 12 2 132
[B]1-1 Count 0 0 .291 .294 .434 .728 137 20 4 77 [/B]
2-1 Count 0 0 .346 .353 .603 .955 82 3 2 130
3-1 Count 32 0 .338 .557 .538 1.095 35 1 0 176
[B]0-2 Count 0 104 .214 .220 .296 .516 72 1 2 27
1-2 Count 0 100 .249 .250 .409 .659 141 5 1 59
2-2 Count 0 94 .244 .242 .401 .644 130 12 0 55
Full Count 38 37 .234 .388 .347 .735 58 3 4 87[/B][/CODE]

I think when he falls behind it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. He's cognizant of how downright basura he is when he gets into **** counts, and forces him to take bad swings.

Sorry, but I'm a Cubs fan on the west coast of another country. I care about this series. I'm watching what I think are the 2 best teams this year fight it out for the championship. I love baseball.

I guess you haven't looked at the playoff ratings. Some of the games were the highest rated in 25 years. So I would say that more than just NY cares about baseball.

Damon - FA from Red Sox

Matsui - FA Japan

Burnett - FA Blue Jays

It is funny that you would say boo hoo when you are the only one crying in this thread.

The Yankees have not won a World Series since 2000. They did not make the postseason last year. Your premise is incorrect.

Andy never used steroids. And to say he is a free agent acquisition when he was drafted by the Yankees, well that just shows your bitterness.

You say you don't care. Your words don't support that. It is okay, the offseason is almost here. The Brewers can't hurt you anymore.

You're making it sound like this thing is over. Sabbathia has a history with the Phillies, and it's all bad.

2-2 after tonight.

:Typotux:

I love that people say CC is owned by the Phillies. When he was with the Brewers he pitched on short rest numerous starts in a row. That caught up with him.

His history isn't all bad, the other day he pitched 7 innings and gave up 2 runs. I would take that any day of the week.

Sorry, but I'm a Cubs fan on the west coast of another country. I care about this series. I'm watching what I think are the 2 best teams this year fight it out for the championship. I love baseball.

I agree, it is a good series with two great teams playing. I love baseball as well. Good post.

I love that people say CC is owned by the Phillies. When he was with the Brewers he pitched on short rest numerous starts in a row. That caught up with him.

His history isn't all bad, the other day he pitched 7 innings and gave up 2 runs. I would take that any day of the week.

Don't let facts get in the way of my hoping the Yanks lose.

:Typotux:

Archived