Cotto will beat Pacquio tonight

Mean Papi Green

Let me get it out of the way by saying I'm going with Miggy tonight but here's why;

Size and power. Alot has been made about Pacquio and how phenomenal of a fighter he is and I'll never argue against that, he has earned his spot with huge fights at junior and lightweight limits and by facing the best competition at those weights including Barrera, Marquez and Morales. All of these fighters took and gave with Paccy but ultimately all paid the price against the Filipino fighter

Then came his rise to jr welterweight and welterweight. There is alot of hype about his sensational power and blockbuster wins in these weight classes but when you examine his opponents some of that luster needs to come off the trophy. Against Oscar he fought a fighter that had no business at his age and condition trying to cut down to 147 and it showed as he looked emaciated weak and slow in the ring, this is evidenced by the fact that the man did not even rehydrate between the weigh ins and fight night which is highly unusual for a man that had to cut 15-20 lbs to make this fight. In my opinion Manny basically fought a statue that night and blinded him with speed and power until he made the legend quit on his stool but the question to me that night was.....why didn

Boxing ::yawn:: such a boring "sport" used to love it. MMA came along and showed boxing for the silliness it is. I would rather watch Olympic wrestling/ kick boxing/muay thai over a one dimension bore fest that is boxing.
i really don't like either of them. but mma is definitely better. rocky ruined boxing for me. i saw the movie really young....and i thought thats what boxing was. then i saw a real bout and was like...this is lame.

Power thrills but speed kills. And that will never change. What was proven tonight was that you simply can't beat Manny relying on strength, lateral movement, or trying to dictate where Manny goes. due to the fact that he's able to punch from literally every single angle possible, in combinations no less. Relying on the jab, even slipping his punches in the box, it doesn't matter. Standing within punching distance of him is a ticket to losing, no matter what angle he's facing you from. I don't know if there's any way to beat a man like this in his prime, but IMO if anyone's going to stand a chance, it's going to have to be a fighter who can slip and punch while moving away from Pac rather than to the side. Perhaps more importantly, they'd have to outpoint him, because I don't think there's anyone from 146 on down capable of knocking this man out. He's too fast and finds holes in his opponents too easily for any other possible strategy to work. Playing the ring general game is an effective means to losing.

In other words, yes, I do think Floyd can (not necessarily will, just can) beat him. And there's no doubt that fight will happen now, fans most certainly have the ability to make matchups in boxing and this is one of those instances. It's inevitable. That being said, styles make fights, and I think Floyd's the only one who stands a chance. You have to be a defensive mastermind, like Floyd, to not get killed by this man, there's no other solution. You have to find a way to keep away from those flurries, because they're killers.

(Speaking of which, rewatch this fight and watch some of those combinations he gets off. He has his 3rd and 4th punches already in motion as the 1st punch is being thrown. It's incredible. Sugar Ray Robinson and Ali are the only other fighters I've seen that made combinations look this good).

All that considered, Manny's cemented his legacy regardless. Tonight put him in any overall top-ten list and maybe even within the top 5. You have to mention him with guys like Dempsey and Duran at this point. 7 titles in 7 classes...that is just absurd. I don't think people really realize how amazing an accomplishment that is. I'm one of Floyd's biggest fans and have been for his entire career, but as a fan of boxing history, I'm almost rooting for Manny when it happens. Because if he beats Floyd, he'll have worked his way into the Robinson/Ali//Louis arena.

What an unbelievable fighter. I'm just in awe of this guy. Freddie Roach called him a once in a lifetime boxer and that's exactly what he is.

Oh, sorry about the loss dude. I know Cotto fans are probably taking this one really hard. I was completely shocked when he came out in the first looking like he did, and he was nothing but class after the fight was stopped. IMO he needs to take some time off because that's the second serious beating he's taken in the past year and a half.

Cotto showed great heart, but he should have been pulled earlier, he was just taking a beating late on and I was stunned that the ref eventually did stop it in the 12th. I thought that if you were going to let him fight through the 10th and 11th that you might as well give him every chance to finish the thing. Great effort though because words don't descirbe the brilliance of Pacman.

As for Mayweather I certainly believe he stands a chance. His defense is just so good that it would be fascinating to see how he'll matchup. Can't wait for that fight if it goes ahead and it better.

Boxing ::yawn:: such a boring "sport" used to love it. MMA came along and showed boxing for the silliness it is. I would rather watch Olympic wrestling/ kick boxing/muay thai over a one dimension bore fest that is boxing.

The boxing was so much more entertaining than the MMA last night it's not even worth talking about.

wow, Manny was amazing last night what else can I say?

very disappointed that the ref stopped the fight, beating or not the champ deserves the opportunity to go out you dont stop a championship fight at the end like that after a flurry, disrespectful end for a warrior

that being said, Manny did everything he had to do to win and did it perfectly, I cant see Floyd having any success against him, he will not have a size advantage over Manny thta is meaningful, he's smaller than Cotto and they looked equal in the ring besides we just learned that size wont beat Manny alone

wow, Manny was amazing last night what else can I say?

very disappointed that the ref stopped the fight, beating or not the champ deserves the opportunity to go out you dont stop a championship fight at the end like that after a flurry, disrespectful end for a warrior

that being said, Manny did everything he had to do to win and did it perfectly, I cant see Floyd having any success against him, he will not have a size advantage over Manny thta is meaningful, he's smaller than Cotto and they looked equal in the ring besides we just learned that size wont beat Manny alone

I know you know boxing... did you honestly think Pacman was going to get beat?

Who did Cotto beat that had the speed/power combo of Pacman? Especially since PacMan has been as good as ANYBODY has been in our lifetime over his last several fights. Zab Judah is not even close to being in the same class as PacMan and Judah should have beat Cotto if he would have made any sort of adjustments... Judah had just came off a NC against a trash opponent after a 1 year suspension... before the suspension he lost to a very old Baldomir who Cotto should have dominated. He also got absolutely dominated by Mayweather in the second half of that fight.

As for Mosley Cotto had to go 12 rounds with Mosley (at age 36 - and off PEDs). In Mosley's next fight Mayorga took him the distance and though Mosley clearly won it was close on the scorecards (with Mayorga winning on one)... and we are talking about Ricardo Mayorga.

There was no reason to believe that Cotto would win this fight. I am surprised he lasted as long as he did.

I know you know boxing... did you honestly think Pacman was going to get beat?

Who did Cotto beat that had the speed/power combo of Pacman? Especially since PacMan has been as good as ANYBODY has been in our lifetime over his last several fights. Zab Judah is not even close to being in the same class as PacMan and Judah should have beat Cotto if he would have made any sort of adjustments... Judah had just came off a NC against a trash opponent after a 1 year suspension... before the suspension he lost to a very old Baldomir who Cotto should have dominated. He also got absolutely dominated by Mayweather in the second half of that fight.

As for Mosley Cotto had to go 12 rounds with Mosley (at age 36 - and off PEDs). In Mosley's next fight Mayorga took him the distance and though Mosley clearly won it was close on the scorecards (with Mayorga winning on one)... and we are talking about Ricardo Mayorga.

There was no reason to believe that Cotto would win this fight. I am surprised he lasted as long as he did.

I actually thought Mosley won that fight. And don't forget Judah was about a minute or two away from getting knocked out by Floyd before Roger rushed into the ring. IMO Cotto needs to think about retiring if he really cares about his kids as much as he says. 2 of his past 4 fights have been 12-round slaughters and are likely going to have some serious lasting effects.

And I agree, the only thing Cotto had going for him was the distraction angle that HBO obviously overplayed in order to generate a running plot for 24/7. I had Manny by a country mile going into this one and most did as well.

I actually thought Mosley won that fight. And don't forget Judah was about a minute or two away from getting knocked out by Floyd before Roger rushed into the ring. IMO Cotto needs to think about retiring if he really cares about his kids as much as he says. 2 of his past 4 fights have been 12-round slaughters and are likely going to have some serious lasting effects.

And I agree, the only thing Cotto had going for him was the distraction angle that HBO obviously overplayed in order to generate a running plot for 24/7. I had Manny by a country mile going into this one and most did as well.

The Mosley fight could have gone either way. I am just trying to figure out why anybody would think Cotto had even a puncher's chance to win this one.

Manny is just great to watch. You'll rarely see him in a boring fight.

Yeah he's pretty awesome. It was cool how he lulled Cotto to sleep then started wailing on him in the later rounds. Great fight.

Bring on Mayweather, the arrogant bastard.

Yeah he's pretty awesome. It was cool how he lulled Cotto to sleep then started wailing on him in the later rounds. Great fight.

Bring on Mayweather, the arrogant bastard.

Mayweather has always backed up his arrogance. The guy is pure class as a boxer.

Would be such great fight.

Archived