Yanks deal Melky for Javier Vazquez

Matt39

stupidest deal ever.. Vasquez cant pitch in the AL and he can barely pitch in the NL.

Barely pitch in the NL? He finished 4th in Cy Young voting last year. He had a tremendous year. I know fans will never forget Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS; it's hard to forget. But trading a 4th OF and a LOOGY for one of the best pitchers in the NL is a steal anyway you look at it.

It gives the Yankees tremendous depth in the rotation, while also adding to the depth in the bullpen in moving one of Joba and Hughes back there.

I don't understand how people don't think much of Melky

The guy was clutch

Makes us have to make a move for an OF'er

Welcome back Johnny

It's not that I don't think much of him. I really like him as a 4th OF. He's a very good fourth OF, with a bit of pop and good defense at all 3 positions. He's the kind of guy you like to have on your bench. But when you have the chance to move him as the centerpiece of your deal for one of the best pitchers in the NL last year, you don't think twice.

Barely pitch in the NL? He finished 4th in Cy Young voting last year. He had a tremendous year. I know fans will never forget Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS; it's hard to forget. But trading a 4th OF and a LOOGY for one of the best pitchers in the NL is a steal anyway you look at it.

It gives the Yankees tremendous depth in the rotation, while also adding to the depth in the bullpen in moving one of Joba and Hughes back there.

he will have a 5 era next year with yankees

Almost 10 consecutive years of 200+ innings; you guys are nuts if you don't like this deal. Melky sucks. I'd bet the reason that some of you think he's good is because pitchers would go after him him knowing that he was by far the weakest bat in your lineup. I'd bet nobody in the majors got pitches to hit like he did this last year. Other than pitchers of course.

I always liked Javy. His stuff is really good, the results haven't been as good for him as I thought they would be. Two thoughts:

1. The Yankees 4th starter is now pretty much a lock to surpass 200 innings. That is huge.

2. I remember the WS game. Brown got bombed and bailed. Javy sat on the bench with his teammates. Showed me a lot of heart even though the pitching line wasn't great.

This time around so much less is being asked of him. Great move. Melky is a nice 4th outfielder, nothing more.

I always liked Javy. His stuff is really good, the results haven't been as good for him as I thought they would be. Two thoughts:

1. The Yankees 4th starter is now pretty much a lock to surpass 200 innings. That is huge.

2. I remember the WS game. Brown got bombed and bailed. Javy sat on the bench with his teammates. Showed me a lot of heart even though the pitching line wasn't great.

This time around so much less is being asked of him. Great move. Melky is a nice 4th outfielder, nothing more.

I always did too. Loved him with the Expos and thought he was going to be special. Then he came to the AL East. Had a solid 1st half then posted an ERA of about 11 billion in the second half before his epic melt down in the post season.

Hate this move. Hope I'm wrong.

I think this is a bad move for the yanks, but I can see why they did it. They needed another arm. Problem is, Vazquez showed he has a hard time pitching in NY. And if you get Damon back? Well you better hope his shoulder(s) stay intact as that guy has had more pricks in him than Tiger's hos (ba-doom-tish!)

So from a Sox point of view, I say welcome back Javier! :cheers:

I think this is a bad move for the yanks, but I can see why they did it. They needed another arm. Problem is, Vazquez showed he has a hard time pitching in NY. And if you get Damon back? Well you better hope his shoulder(s) stay intact as that guy has had more pricks in him than Tiger's hos (ba-doom-tish!)

So from a Sox point of view, I say welcome back Javier! :cheers:

He is their 4th starter. :winking0001:

Archived