Why havent we signed a punter?

Ace21Black

I know that we are limited in FA, but Punter's arent worth draft picks(I hear we're looking at Mesko from Michigan)...I may sound crazy, but I think this is ONE of our biggest needs especially because we lay heavily on our defense...Field position matters...Use whatever limited resources we have in FA, and bring somebody in...You can trade for CB, RB, Safety etc, not Punters...

I wouldnt have minded bringing in Bidwell who just signed with the 'Skins...

I would shoot myself with another season of Weatherford...The guy cant punt further than 42 yards...and his net avg is atrocious...

Well there's typically few punters of interest available in the offseason and even if they are, they are typically UFAs, which mean the Jets wouldn't be able to sign them. My guess is the Jets pick up a UDFA after the draft to bring into camp and compete with Weatherford. And while Weatherford isn't great by any stretch, you can certainly do worse, and the Jets have many, many, many times.

Draft/UDFA is the way to go at punter. I would LOVE to have Zoltan. Other than that, FA punters appear to be hard to come by. Bidwell was the ONLY NFL punter who has gotten cut thus far, and I don't think that its a sure thing that the Skins cut Hunter Smith until they see what Bidwell brings to the table.

I know that we are limited in FA, but Punter's arent worth draft picks(I hear we're looking at Mesko from Michigan)...I may sound crazy, but I think this is ONE of our biggest needs especially because we lay heavily on our defense...Field position matters...Use whatever limited resources we have in FA, and bring somebody in...You can trade for CB, RB, Safety etc, not Punters...

I wouldnt have minded bringing in Bidwell who just signed with the 'Skins...

I would shoot myself with another season of Weatherford...The guy cant punt further than 42 yards...and his net avg is atrocious...

Because we are not going to punt this year. Rex wants to play it as it lays.

We're gonna wait for the UDFA class I bet...and then look at free agents

yeah...well that scares me a bit...cant stand to be left with crap...

Even with the FA restrictions, we could have found someone bc we lost a few FA's, and punters dont cost much...

Our special teams took a HUGE hit...Got rid of Feely...Lost Wright...Lost Murrell...New Punter(we needed one), and maybe losing Dearth...those are BIG losses that have been noticed, but have not really been criticized at all...We lost 3 and possibly 4 important parts of our Special Teams...that is A LOT

We're gonna wait for the UDFA class I bet...and then look at free agents

yeah...well that scares me a bit...cant stand to be left with crap...

Even with the FA restrictions, we could have found someone bc we lost a few FA's, and punters dont cost much...

Our special teams took a HUGE hit...Got rid of Feely...Lost Wright...Lost Murrell...New Punter(we needed one), and maybe losing Dearth...those are BIG losses that have been noticed, but have not really been criticized at all...We lost 3 and possibly 4 important parts of our Special Teams...that is A LOT

Archived