D'Brickashaw Wants a New Deal

Vudu

:Typotux:

D'Brickashaw wants a new deal

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 2, 2010 1:33 PM ET

New York Jets left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson reportedly wants a new contract.

Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News reports that Ferguson recently changed agents and has his eye on a new deal.

Cimini doesn't offer any details on the change in agents, but the NFL Players' Association web site lists Brad Blank as Ferguson's agent. Don Yee was Ferguson's agent when he signed his current contract with the Jets, a six-year, $37.5 million deal.

The Jets chose Ferguson with the fourth overall pick in the 2006 draft. Ferguson has started all 64 games in his four-year NFL career.

Too bad.

Don't get me wrong, he'll get it, just not this year. Not with 2 years still left on his deal. There's a long line of guys in front of him who need new deals first. Mangold, Harris and Edwards just to name a few, all of who are FAs in 2011. Plus the team reportedly wants to extend Revis ASAP.

Brick, Revis, Harris, and Mangold will all get new deals. Everyone else may be fair game eventually, but those 4 are going to be Jets for a long time.

No doubt he will and should, I just think he's got to sit tight for a year. Besides, as the #4 overall pick its not like his current deal is such an insult.

Not with 2 years still left on his deal.

When teams say 'we don't renegotiate contracts with x years left,' they're really not talking about the duration of the contract, they're talking about the terms. They want to pay slot money for as long as possible before they re-up. Ferguson already has a fat contract so that doesn't really apply to him. Since we're stuck on redoing Mangold because of the 30% rule anyway, it doesn't make any sense to wait on Ferguson just because other guys will come off the books sooner.

Too bad.

Don't get me wrong, he'll get it, just not this year. Not with 2 years still left on his deal. There's a long line of guys in front of him who need new deals first. Mangold, Harris and Edwards just to name a few, all of who are FAs in 2011. Plus the team reportedly wants to extend Revis ASAP.

Exactly. Let's talk AFTER this year.

Good for D'Brick. He can wait 2 or 3 years.

Revis and Mangold need to be done first.

He's as important as getting those two sign. It's not easy to lose a franchise LT. I'd rather lock a LT up than either corner or C on the non-reality scale. Actually, I'd rather resign our young OL stars first rather than last. Revis' situation is going to be a good story...I'd like bet money on that. Something's going to happen there.

Too bad.

The thing is, Cimini says D'Brick wants a new deal but never qualifies "wants" or states when.

D'Brick will get extended, but, as you mentioned, not in 2010 because of the other guys in front of him.

Incidentally, although there has been talk of extending Revis but I believe they'll wait on that because of the buy-back years for Revis vs. expiring contracts for Mangold, Harris, Edwards.

In other words, the Jets can lock up MHE, then work on Revis & DBrick.

Also, in a "when hell freezes over moment" just imagine if Gholston actually becomes really good. That will really screw up the re-signing timeline because of his 5 year deal.

That said, I think the Jets will be financially (real world & capwise) to re-sign all the players they want. In other words, if any player has to walk it's because the Jets don't want to re-sign him rather than they can't.

Also, in a "when hell freezes over moment" just imagine if Gholston actually becomes really good.

Will never happen.

Gholston is like Rhodes, and others that will surface who have the size and desire for the glitz, glamour, and NFL paychecks. But the violent nature of the sport just isn't for them.

Archived