Pool: Concussions Not an Issue

flgreen

Jets' Pool: Concussions not an issue

Jets Blog

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Last Updated: 5:31 AM, May 31, 2010

Posted: 1:48 AM, May 31, 2010

Comments: 2 | More icon_print.gif Print

Brodney Pool knows the question is coming before you ask it.

The Jets' new safety, whom they signed to a one-year, $1.3 million deal in the offseason with hopes he will become the starter alongside Jim Leonhard, would like his performance on the field to be what everyone is talking about instead of the dreaded concussion issue.

By numerous accounts in Cleveland, where Pool played the last five seasons after being drafted in the second round by the Browns, he's had at least four concussions, the last of which ended his 2009 season with five games remaining.

brodney_pool--300x300.jpg AP

NO SAFETY CONCERNS: Jets safety Brodney Pool says there is no reason to worry about a history of concussions because he has only had one in his career.

Pool, however, disputed that concussion count in a conversation with The Post this week after a Jets' OTA session at their Florham Park, N.J., facility. Before the words "how many" left the questioner's mouth, Pool politely interrupted and said: "one."

"I've only had one concussion," he told The Post. "I have a family history of migraines and that's what has been happening to me, not concussions."

Pool, in fact, said the only concussion he's ever suffered occurred on the first play of his first NFL preseason game.

"I ran down on kickoff and hit the wedge and knocked myself out," he said. "The other times I was very aware; I knew what was happening."

He was en route to having one of his best seasons in 2009, having picked off four passes in the Browns' first 11 games before he was felled by another head injury on a play he said there was no contact.

The Browns, taking the cautious approach, put Pool on injured reserve and he missed the rest of the season. Pool said the Browns' doctors called it a concussion, but he went to the Cleveland Clinic, where he was diagnosed with the migraines.

What now?

He said he needs to hydrate and eat better and get more sleep -- all things he said the doctors told him have an effect on the migraines.

Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman, too, has another idea to prevent more incidents.

"There are certain techniques we'll use with him in terms of trying to keep his head out there, tackling more with his shoulders and chest instead of leading with his head," Thurman said.

Pool is taking Thurman's suggestions to heart, saying: "That's one of the first things (Thurman) told me and it's one of my goals in the offseason, to learn to tackle not leading with my head and use more of my shoulders. I'm working on that this offseason."

Pool's willingness is a breath of fresh air for Thurman, who clashed with Kerry Rhodes all last season before Rhodes was jettisoned away to Arizona in an offseason trade.

Rhodes, whom Pool was signed to replace, never totally bought into the Jets defensive system under Rex Ryan, defensive coordinator Mike Pettine and Thurman and it showed in his play.

"Kerry is a good guy; he's obviously been a good player in this league for a number of years and he's made plays, but as we like to say around here with Rex, 'You can play in the NFL, just not for the Jets,' " Thurman told The Post. "There's a certain way that we go about our business in doing things and we expect everybody to be on the same page. We're all Jets and we're all trying to win and anybody who's pulling against that or doesn't buy in usually starts to stick out like a sore thumb.

"Brodney on the other hand has been a refreshing welcome addition. He's very coachable. He's at meetings when he doesn't even have to be at meetings, like with the rookies and young free agents, because he wants to learn and he knows the position he's in as far as playing safety in this system. It's an extension of the coaching staff."

Indeed, safety is a critical position in the Ryan system.

Thurman believes Pool is a perfect fit.

"He is ideal for what we want to get done," Thurman said. "I don't think there's any limitations for Brodney."

Leonhard complimented his new teammate, saying he's been "impressed with how quickly he's learned."

Leonhard, like Thurman, pointed out the contrast between Pool and Rhodes, saying, "One of the biggest things he's been able to do is come in and communicate right away with guys. He's not afraid to go to Darrelle [Revis] or Eric Smith and ask questions."

After missing his last five games last year and seeing the Browns give up on him, Pool said he feels "blessed to be a Jet because a few months ago I didn't know if I still was going to be playing football."

He's bent on picking up where he left off last season before he was hurt.

"I should have had seven picks last year; I dropped three," Pool said. "I had a pretty good year. Unfortunately I wasn't able to finish it. But I'm excited to be here."

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/full_speed_head_VT4covuSyvrQkBFYh9glrI?CMP=OTC-rss&FEEDNAME=#ixzz0pVnNYXY0

For you people that get migraine headaches, I have a question. Poole states in the article that he has suffered only one concussion and that was in his first NFL preseason game. Yet, he missed the last five games of last season because of why? A migraine headache? Please explain since thank god, I've never had one.

For you people that get migraine headaches, I have a question. Poole states in the article that he has suffered only one concussion and that was in his first NFL preseason game. Yet, he missed the last five games of last season because of why? A migraine headache? Please explain since thank god, I've never had one.

I get migraines and years ago they were so bad I had an MRI of the brain. I have had a few concussions and the biggest difference to me is memory loss. But I can see how they could misdiagnose a mild concussion ie no memory loss.

Vomitting and sensitivity to light along with a pounding head is what a migrane can be like. I have had them that totally shut me down they can be really bad.

Staying hydrated eating right and getting enough sleep are the keys like the article said. When I get one I can usually attribute one of those 3 things.

fwiw, I was watching the browns/lions replay yesterday, and pool made 2 INT's in the final 5 minutes, but one of his teamates had the PI in the EZ to give the lions the gimme TD

I like this kid

I get them too. They suck bad. Feels like your head is being pounded with hammers over and over. Not to mention I get nauseous and start puking my guts out. And I get light sensitive as well.

Excedrin Migraine is amazing though. I think I started a thread on migraines last year and Max was the one who originally suggested using EM. Works like a charm.

Good thing for me though is that I feel one coming an hour before the headache starts. I get spotty vision and that's my body's way of telling me, go to bed and take an Excedrin.

migraines can be debilitating and medical science doesn't really have a cure for that either

even if it's true his concussions were migranes, that's not exactly good news. Percy Harvin misses games with Migraines, it is a real issue with no obvious solution.

this is a PR attempt on the part of the Jets and Brodney Pool... one way or another I expect the following to occur: Eric Smith to play most of the starters snaps.

if history is any guide, B Pool plays awesome, gets hurt.

and for all the crap we talk about him, I expect Kerry Rhodes to have a better year than both Pool and Smith.

People are really overlooking the fact that he's gone from the worst medical staff in the league to the best.

this is sarcastic right? elliot pellman might be the most incompetent team doctor in any major sport. his resume says he went to stony brook, the truth is he got his degree from Guadalajara. they call him "dr yes" as in "can I go back in the game?"

I get migraines and years ago they were so bad I had an MRI of the brain. I have had a few concussions and the biggest difference to me is memory loss. But I can see how they could misdiagnose a mild concussion ie no memory loss.

Vomitting and sensitivity to light along with a pounding head is what a migrane can be like. I have had them that totally shut me down they can be really bad.

Staying hydrated eating right and getting enough sleep are the keys like the article said. When I get one I can usually attribute one of those 3 things.

I agree. I gotten every few years something called cluster headaches. The worse feeling in the world. Light feels like hammers hitting you, My headaches however are on one side of my head, either behind my right or left eye when it comes.

Completely shuts you down, you cant work, you can barely walk. I need all the lights off and lay down with no sound It will last for about an hour or two everyday for like a month when I've gotten them.

Percy Harvin actually suffers from massive migranes and he plays football. I dont know how in the world he does that. He's a f'ing "mans man". I cant even stand the light yet he's playing one of the most physical games with 70,000 screaming fans.

I get them too. They suck bad. Feels like your head is being pounded with hammers over and over. Not to mention I get nauseous and start puking my guts out. And I get light sensitive as well.

Excedrin Migraine is amazing though. I think I started a thread on migraines last year and Max was the one who originally suggested using EM. Works like a charm.

Good thing for me though is that I feel one coming an hour before the headache starts. I get spotty vision and that's my body's way of telling me, go to bed and take an Excedrin.

Wait you are saying this site helped make your life better? :-P

When I was undergoing tests a few years ago the neurologist said the MRI came back clean. He went to prescribe one of the migraine medications. My RX plan at the time sucked and I told him that I had a good experience with Excedrin Migraine. He said then by all means use it. He told me I was one of the lucky ones if the over the counter stuff worked.

Today I never leave home without it. Dead serious. I have a bottle in my backpack with my laptop. One at home in the medicine cabinet. Another stays in my car at all times. And one in my desk at work.

At this point it is maybe once a month (probably less) that I need it. But when it happens, you are so thankful that there is something that makes it go away. Two pills max in 24 hours otherwise you are going to get what they described to me as rebound headaches. And despite what has been said about me these are the only pills that I take. I don't need the little blue ones, yet.

So I do believe that he may have been misdiagnosed. I am really curious to find out how often he is getting headaches now. And how long they last once they come on. Some people are shut down much longer than the 20 minutes it takes for meds to kick in.

I agree. I gotten every few years something called cluster headaches. The worse feeling in the world. Light feels like hammers hitting you, My headaches however are on one side of my head, either behind my right or left eye when it comes.

Completely shuts you down, you cant work, you can barely walk. I need all the lights off and lay down with no sound It will last for about an hour or two everyday for like a month when I've gotten them.

Percy Harvin actually suffers from massive migranes and he plays football. I dont know how in the world he does that. He's a f'ing "mans man". I cant even stand the light yet he's playing one of the most physical games with 70,000 screaming fans.

Never heard of cluster headaches but that sucks. I hear you though about when they come on. All lights need to go off. For me, I just sit in the shower. Let the water drown out any background noise in the house. It sucks when it happens...

Playing football with it? LOL, like you said, if they do they are much better men than I am. Well they are much better men than I am already but you know what I mean!

He's lying or he's wrong.

I had heard that the competitive food eating circuit was rough... thanks for the confirmation.

No problem. It looks glamorous on TV, I am just here to talk about the reality which gets hidden from the public.

He's lying or he's wrong.

It's neither.

Pool didn't miss the last 5 games because of a migraine. He missed the last 5 games because he was put on IR.

Pool said he could have played the following week without problem but he had already been put on IR shortly after the previous game where he was diagnosed with a concussion.

So, Night Stalker, the NFL rules kept him out of the rest of the season, not the migraines.

Weird thing...

I used to get migraines when I was a teenager. Haven't had one in like 7 years. But there was one year where it was really bad, I was getting them every few days for a couple months. They did a brain scan, didn't find anything, and within a year or two I stopped having them altogether.

I suppose it would be possible to miss 5 weeks due to migraines. I know that if I was a football player during that time (come to think of it, I was... but it was the offseason) then I wouldn't have been able to play. Though they're different for everyone, for me there were times when I would get migraines and I was barely able to stand up, let alone run around.

I never had a concussion-type event, so I don't really know how they're connected and to what degree...except that it is possible to have them without having a concussion.

this is sarcastic right? elliot pellman might be the most incompetent team doctor in any major sport. his resume says he went to stony brook, the truth is he got his degree from Guadalajara. they call him "dr yes" as in "can I go back in the game?"

Do you even know what La Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara is?

There are over 8,000 doctors in the United States that graduated from the UAG School of Medicine. It is actually one of the larger providers of medical education given to Americans seeking to be doctors.

The cure for Cluster Headaches is shrooms. I'm serious.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/treatment.html

stuff from real scientists: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16801660

Do you even know what La Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara is?

There are over 8,000 doctors in the United States that graduated from the UAG School of Medicine. It is actually one of the larger providers of medical education given to Americans seeking to be doctors.

hey that's great

so why did he put Stony Brook on his resume?

im not elitist, it's the dishonesty i have a problem with...

hey that's great

so why did he put Stony Brook on his resume?

im not elitist, it's the dishonesty i have a problem with...

For one, he attended Stony Brook (1979-80) AFTER he was in Guadalajara (75-79). You're told to put where you were most recently on a resume, so why are you calling him dishonest? Its not like it was a secret, you can find this info right on his Jets bio:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/doctors/1317-elliot-pellman

attended medical school at the Autonomous University of Guadalajara from 1975-1979 and the State University of New York at Stony Brook’s Fifth Pathway program from 1979-80.

Also, I'm sure its easier to put "Stony Brook" than "La Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara" on a one-page resume.

You don't exactly have a great track record of being correct about things, Bit, especially on the category you claim to know the most about (the draft). Quit while you're behind.

Never heard of cluster headaches but that sucks. I hear you though about when they come on. All lights need to go off. For me, I just sit in the shower. Let the water drown out any background noise in the house. It sucks when it happens...

Playing football with it? LOL, like you said, if they do they are much better men than I am. Well they are much better men than I am already but you know what I mean!

I hear you. Thats some tough shyte to do. From what the vikings have said about it, his headaches are very severe. They're taking the medical route to see if they can fix whatever is causing that. Percy said he's had it deal with it all the time, even had it in college.

The cure for Cluster Headaches is shrooms. I'm serious.

http://www.clusterbusters.com/treatment.html

stuff from real scientists: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16801660

Wow. God is good aint he?

The doctor instead would just give you a shyte load of pills that will fill up your mirror cabinet in your bathroom.....and tell you that shrooms are illegal lol

What I learned from a friend of mine was to smoke some weed. It makes the pain much more tolerable. I figured out that marijuana lowers your blood pressure, which I guess helps with whatever pressure is being applied that causes those headaches (though thats more my logic given the lowering of blood pressure than actual fact).

I've never taken shrooms before though. I'd mess around and have a bad trip....tweek out and call the police on myself lmao.

For one, he attended Stony Brook (1979-80) AFTER he was in Guadalajara (75-79). You're told to put where you were most recently on a resume, so why are you calling him dishonest? Its not like it was a secret, you can find this info right on his Jets bio:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/doctors/1317-elliot-pellman

Also, I'm sure its easier to put "Stony Brook" than "La Facultad de Medicina de la Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara" on a one-page resume.

You don't exactly have a great track record of being correct about things, Bit, especially on the category you claim to know the most about (the draft). Quit while you're behind.

Damn, why you go in on him like that lmao.

The part of Pellman's resume I'm worried about isn't where he went to school. It's the part where he alleges to be some kind of league wide authority on head injuries when he basically ruined Al Toon's life, turned what was left of Wayne Chrebet's brain to jelly and helped allow Ronnie Lott to play well after most team's had given up on letting him repeatedly knock himself out.

migraines can be debilitating and medical science doesn't really have a cure for that either

even if it's true his concussions were migranes, that's not exactly good news. Percy Harvin misses games with Migraines, it is a real issue with no obvious solution.

this is a PR attempt on the part of the Jets and Brodney Pool... one way or another I expect the following to occur: Eric Smith to play most of the starters snaps.

if history is any guide, B Pool plays awesome, gets hurt.

and for all the crap we talk about him, I expect Kerry Rhodes to have a better year than both Pool and Smith.

Havent you been paying any attention to Bruce Banner? Its the shrooms damit!

r159235_580502.jpg

Havent you been paying any attention to Bruce Banner? Its the shrooms damit!

r159235_580502.jpg

I never wanna see shrooms again, Christ almighty why would nature make such a ****ed up drug :bag:

The part of Pellman's resume I'm worried about isn't where he went to school. It's the part where he alleges to be some kind of league wide authority on head injuries when he basically ruined Al Toon's life, turned what was left of Wayne Chrebet's brain to jelly and helped allow Ronnie Lott to play well after most team's had given up on letting him repeatedly knock himself out.

+1 he added Guadalajara to his resume after he got called out on it... it wasn't always there... but where he went to school is the least of his transgressions... Toon... Chrebet... Lott... and dozens of others who people don't even know their names...how about the dude who lost his leg?

elliot pellman has resigned from the committees of not 1 but 2 major sports leagues (NFL, MLB) essentially for gross incompetence.

since we are talking about the draft, here's my question, how does the NY Jets trade up to get a player, using 2 first rounders... that player doesn't have any surgeries or major incidents on the field but retires after 5 years with degenerative knee condition? how does that happen? Elliot Pellman that's how it happens.

until the Jets fire this man I can't believe anything medically related to this team. his creditability has been shot to bits over the years.

Archived