PFT says Revis could have an ace in the hole...

NIGHT STALKER

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 10:36 AM ET

When the possibility of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis skipping a mandatory minicamp first arose a couple of weeks ago, some believed that the Jets were hoping he'd do so, since it would void the guarantees applicable to $20 million he's scheduled to earn in 2011 and 2012.

As it turns out, the guarantees may be irrelevant.

A league source tells us that persons familiar with the Revis contract believe that the Jets ultimately won't be able to buy back the final two years of the deal, once Revis opts to void the remainder of the contract after the coming season.

Here's how it works. Revis signed in 2007 a six-year deal that, upon the achievement of certain modest triggers (which he has satisfied), can be reduced at his option to four years. Then, the Jets can buy back years five and six at $5 million guaranteed in 2011 and $15 million guaranteed in 2012.

Here's the problem. When the contract initially was approved in 2007, the 30-percent rule that limits the giving of raises in uncapped years to players under contract didn't apply, because a salary cap was in place. The thinking is that, when the Jets try to buy back the last two years of the deal, the NFL will block the maneuver as a violation of the 30-percent rule.

And because the contract includes language preventing the Jets from applying the franchise or transition tag to Revis, he'll be able to walk away.

The only potential limitation on his movement comes from the rules applicable to unrestricted free agency. If, come 2011, a player needs five or six years of service to qualify, the Jets could be able to apply a restricted free agency tender to Revis. That said, it's possible that the contractual language preventing the use of the franchise or transition tenders is sufficiently broad to prevent any effort to limit his movement.

But even if the Jets can still use the highest possible RFA tender, which other team wouldn't gladly give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick in order to book a six-year vacation on Revis Island? Though the Jets would have the right to match any offer Revis receives, the reality is that, in 2011, he'll be in line for a long-term, market-value deal.

It's unknown whether the Jets or Revis' camp previously knew about this potential complication. It's fairly safe to say that they soon will.

This is just another case of the make-believe uncapped 2011 season. You don't even need to reach the issue of whether it gets grandfathered (if not, wouldn't D'Brick's deal void out too?), because 2011 will be capped if it happens at all.

Posted by Mike Florio on June 18, 2010 10:36 AM ET

When the possibility of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis skipping a mandatory minicamp first arose a couple of weeks ago, some believed that the Jets were hoping he'd do so, since it would void the guarantees applicable to $20 million he's scheduled to earn in 2011 and 2012.

As it turns out, the guarantees may be irrelevant.

A league source tells us that persons familiar with the Revis contract believe that the Jets ultimately won't be able to buy back the final two years of the deal, once Revis opts to void the remainder of the contract after the coming season.

Here's how it works. Revis signed in 2007 a six-year deal that, upon the achievement of certain modest triggers (which he has satisfied), can be reduced at his option to four years. Then, the Jets can buy back years five and six at $5 million guaranteed in 2011 and $15 million guaranteed in 2012.

Here's the problem. When the contract initially was approved in 2007, the 30-percent rule that limits the giving of raises in uncapped years to players under contract didn't apply, because a salary cap was in place. The thinking is that, when the Jets try to buy back the last two years of the deal, the NFL will block the maneuver as a violation of the 30-percent rule.

And because the contract includes language preventing the Jets from applying the franchise or transition tag to Revis, he'll be able to walk away.

The only potential limitation on his movement comes from the rules applicable to unrestricted free agency. If, come 2011, a player needs five or six years of service to qualify, the Jets could be able to apply a restricted free agency tender to Revis. That said, it's possible that the contractual language preventing the use of the franchise or transition tenders is sufficiently broad to prevent any effort to limit his movement.

But even if the Jets can still use the highest possible RFA tender, which other team wouldn't gladly give up a first-round pick and a third-round pick in order to book a six-year vacation on Revis Island? Though the Jets would have the right to match any offer Revis receives, the reality is that, in 2011, he'll be in line for a long-term, market-value deal.

It's unknown whether the Jets or Revis' camp previously knew about this potential complication. It's fairly safe to say that they soon will.

Yes Mike, because everything from the old CBA will carry over to the new, as-yet-nonexistent CBA. :rolleyes:

Except when you void a deal you actually void a deal making the two years essentially a new contract. There should be a difference between this type of deal and an option bonus based deal in which the contract would be held up by the 30% rules.

How does Florio have a job?

I have no way to prove this, but he claims to be a lawyer. Would it shock anybody if he started the PFT website in the first place because he were disbarred? Oh you took offense to that Florio? Well how come when bringing up the Reggie Bush/USC problems, you brought up Sanchez being arrested but failed to mention he wasn't charged?

I think the bigger question is why did NBC legitimize this a**hole by making his website part of their network? This guy throws around a number of slanderous comments and at some point, he's going to get sued. And guess what NBC, you will also be responsible if he is still under your guise.

I have no way to prove this, but he claims to be a lawyer. Would it shock anybody if he started the PFT website in the first place because he were disbarred? Oh you took offense to that Florio? Well how come when bringing up the Reggie Bush/USC problems, you brought up Sanchez being arrested but failed to mention he wasn't charged?

I think the bigger question is why did NBC legitimize this a**hole by making his website part of their network? This guy throws around a number of slanderous comments and at some point, he's going to get sued. And guess what NBC, you will also be responsible if he is still under your guise.

There's no such thing as slander by omission, and even if there were it wouldn't be grounds for disbarment. Libel, on the other hand, is when you write something defamatory that isn't true when you know or should have known of its falsity. Trying real hard to come up with a directly pertinent example. Hold on. It'll come to me.

Here is just another reason why the report is bogus. When the NFL signed off on this deal 2012 was set to be an uncapped year, meaning that the contract and all provisions had to comply with all 30% rule provisions at the time of signing. At the time the 2011 salary (which would have been 5 million) would have been used as the base value to determine the 30% raise. The base value of the year 2012 is 11 million. Clearly that is more than 30%. Yet the NFL signed off on it. Now according to Florio they basically changed their mind. I doubt it.

Don't forget his tendancy to plagiarize.

Here is just another reason why the report is bogus. When the NFL signed off on this deal 2012 was set to be an uncapped year, meaning that the contract and all provisions had to comply with all 30% rule provisions at the time of signing. At the time the 2011 salary (which would have been 5 million) would have been used as the base value to determine the 30% raise. The base value of the year 2012 is 11 million. Clearly that is more than 30%. Yet the NFL signed off on it. Now according to Florio they basically changed their mind. I doubt it.

How does it work from 2009 to 2010? Does a 30% rule still apply this year (from a capped year to an uncapped year) or only from uncapped year to uncapped year, as it could theoretically exist next season?

He doesn't really work for NBC. They basically co-opted his blog and pay him to go on the air and spout inaccurate BS.

They pay him a pretty good penny... They pay him for the blog and TV appearances. Put it this way... he was making a good living as a lawyer, and he was able to give it up for this.

They pay him a pretty good penny... They pay him for the blog and TV appearances. Put it this way... he was making a good living as a lawyer, and he was able to give it up for this.

All of that may be. His articles still suck though, particularly for an "insider" type.

All of that may be. His articles still suck though, particularly for an "insider" type.

He has some good stuff... and then sometimes he crap. It's better than it used to be.

He's like the weatherman... He makes 6 figures + and he's right only 50% of the time.

Where did he practice? The only Mike Florio in NYC has been admitted only 3 years. I disagree with him more often than not, but God bless him if he's making a living writing about what he loves.

You seem to think a person's income is directly proportionate to their relative value as a human being for some reason.

Mike Florio's income is completely irrelevent to this discussion. The guy is a hack and a plagiarist whose website is basically the Weekly World News of football websites.

You seem to think a person's income is directly proportionate to their relative value as a human being for some reason.

Mike Florio's income is completely irrelevent to this discussion. The guy is a hack and a plagiarist whose website is basically the Weekly World News of football websites.

I'd argue that Florio getting paid handsomely makes it WORSE. If this is the crap he produces for a salary many of us would love to have, then he's a disgrace.

How does it work from 2009 to 2010? Does a 30% rule still apply this year (from a capped year to an uncapped year) or only from uncapped year to uncapped year, as it could theoretically exist next season?

The way the NFL decided it worked is that the 30% rule would count on all extensions made to existing contracts regardless of if the team completely ripped up the old deal or not. So the base salary for computing the 30% rule is the players 2009 salary, which includes his base salary, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, option bonus prorations, and I think any other LTBEs that were earned. Im not sure if NLTBE incentives count towards it or not (i.e Revis getting a small bonus for making the Pro Bowl last year). That 30% is for the life of the deal so if you only make 1 million in 2009 the most you could make in 2010 is 1.3 and in 2011 1.6. Revis made some good coin last year so it does not really make a difference to him.

I also think the uncapped extension rules pertain to guaranteeing money in future years (I dont think you can unless the 2009 salary was also guaranteed), but I have not been able to get any clarification on that at all. If my interpretation is correct its the clear reason why the Jets did not offer Revis any fully guaranteed money in this new deal.

The way the NFL decided it worked is that the 30% rule would count on all extensions made to existing contracts regardless of if the team completely ripped up the old deal or not. So the base salary for computing the 30% rule is the players 2009 salary, which includes his base salary, workout bonuses, roster bonuses, option bonus prorations, and I think any other LTBEs that were earned. Im not sure if NLTBE incentives count towards it or not (i.e Revis getting a small bonus for making the Pro Bowl last year). That 30% is for the life of the deal so if you only make 1 million in 2009 the most you could make in 2010 is 1.3 and in 2011 1.6. Revis made some good coin last year so it does not really make a difference to him.

I also think the uncapped extension rules pertain to guaranteeing money in future years (I dont think you can unless the 2009 salary was also guaranteed), but I have not been able to get any clarification on that at all. If my interpretation is correct its the clear reason why the Jets did not offer Revis any fully guaranteed money in this new deal.

Interesting on that last point.

Thanks.

Archived