Chris Simms = drivin' high

Sperm Edwards

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Simms arrested, awaiting arraignment

ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- Tennessee Titans backup quarterback Chris Simms was arrested Thursday in New York City on charges of driving while on drugs, police said.

Simms is the son of former New York Giants quarterback Phil Simms.

The 29-year-old was stopped in Manhattan at about 1:30 a.m. Thursday. Police say he appeared to be slurring his speech and his eyes were red, and he appeared to have been smoking marijuana.

Police said they smelled marijuana in Simms' car but did not find any. Simms' Breathalizer was 0.0, a source familiar with the situation told ESPN.com.

Simms was awaiting arraignment in Manhattan Criminal court. It wasn't immediately clear if he had an attorney. Calls to his agent and the Titans weren't immediately returned.

Simms started 16 games during his six-year NFL career. He came to the Titans after playing for the Denver Broncos for a season as an unrestricted free agent. He was a third-round draft pick by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2003.

In 2006, Simms had emergency surgery to remove his spleen, which ruptured during a game against the Carolina Panthers.

His father is now an announcer and analyst for CBS Sports and led the Giants to two Super Bowls, playing 14 seasons with the team. The elder Simms was the the MVP of Super Bowl XXI. He led the Giants to a 11-3 record before breaking his foot in 1990, when the Giants went on to win XXV.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

If they charged him with DUI, they had to have blood tested for narcotics/weed. Otherwise they couldn't arrest him based on "well he was slurring and staggerring and obviously impaired" because even though oxycontin can cause that reaction, so can diabetes, a stroke, severe dehydration and a host of other maladies. Toxicology will decide this.

Can’t force a blood test unless there is an accident with bodily injury (Not sure about NY, but that's the way it is in Florida). I can’t recall anyone slurring, or staggering with pot alone. Of course he might have been doing oxycontin, and been wrecked.

Sounds like a BS arrest because he was in the wrong part of town, and had a slow pupils reaction.

If they don’t have a video that shows him staggering all over the place he will be found not guilty

can not take blood or urine in NY without a court order, and you generally can not get that unless you have a crash with serous injury to a person that was not driving the vehicle. It would have been the same as a breath test where he could give one or its called a refusal and if he has a nys licence it is taken that night. If he has a licence from another state he would be arraigned and a judge would put bail on him. If there was no test it is a very hard charge to prove.

BTW how does Phil's kid not get let go in NYC??? Must have been a Cowboys fan lol

you can still be arrested for being impaired without a test. if you fail field sobriety that's enough to justify the arrest. conviction? maybe not but arrest definitely. plus the cops' story is that he admitted it. if you admit something they don't need much proof to make their case.

can not take blood or urine in NY without a court order, and you generally can not get that unless you have a crash with serous injury to a person that was not driving the vehicle. It would have been the same as a breath test where he could give one or its called a refusal and if he has a nys licence it is taken that night. If he has a licence from another state he would be arraigned and a judge would put bail on him. If there was no test it is a very hard charge to prove.

BTW how does Phil's kid not get let go in NYC??? Must have been a Cowboys fan lol

In Jersey, if you can show probable cause to believe he's impaired, you can get a blood test without a court order. I've done it for heroin users and have never had a problem or been challenged in court. Perhaps NY is different.

you can still be arrested for being impaired without a test. if you fail field sobriety that's enough to justify the arrest. conviction? maybe not but arrest definitely. plus the cops' story is that he admitted it. if you admit something they don't need much proof to make their case.

In Jersey, if you can show probable cause to believe he's impaired, you can get a blood test without a court order. I've done it for heroin users and have never had a problem or been challenged in court. Perhaps NY is different.

Yes if he made addmissions he can be charged, but I agree, a conviction is harder to get. I would like to know in what state is he licenced? I would love to be able to just take blood when I wanted lol, in NY you can if they are not conscious, then it is assumed consent. Does not sound like marijuana to me, more like pills.

"My client never admitted to smoking marijuana that night. He said he was smoking cigarettes that night," said Simms

Archived