Ryan 4th Best Coach in All of Sports: ESPN Poll

flgreen

Survey: Jets' Ryan 4th best coach in all of sports

2:00 PM, July 2, 2010 ι

All it took was a 9-7 record and wins in two out of three playoff games to put Jets head coach Rex Ryan among sports' best leaders.

ESPN The Magazine this week released its Ultimate Standings, ranking the 122 teams in the four major professional sports in a variety of categories based on feedback from fans.

One of them, "Coaching," is described as "strength of on-field leadership."

Ryan, about to enter his second season with the Jets, was ranked as the fourth best coach, tied with Red Wings coach Mike Bab****, behind Mike Scioscia (Angels), Sean Payton (Saints) and Gregg Popovich (Spurs).

All but Ryan have won their respective league championships at least once. He was ranked ahead of the Patriots' Bill Belichick (sixth) and the Lakers' Phil Jackson (10th), among others.

Other New York-area coaches were ranked as follows:

37. Giants (Tom Coughlin)

39. Yankees (Joe Girardi)

73. Islanders (Scott Gordon)

79. Devils (Jacques Lemaire; since replaced by John MacLean)

84. Knicks (Mike D'Antoni)

92. Rangers (John Tortorella)

115. Mets (Jerry Manuel)

120. Nets (Kiki Vandeweghe; since replaced by Avery Johnson)

The Jets received the second-highest ranking among New York-area teams (No. 50 overall), behind the Devils (No. 34).

The Jets also are considered the third-hottest team in sports, behind the Oklahoma City Thunder and Charlotte Bobcats, based on improved feelings toward the team from its fans surveyed.

All it took was a 9-7 record and wins in two out of three playoff games to put Jets head coach Rex Ryan among sports' best leaders.

ESPN The Magazine this week released its Ultimate Standings, ranking the 122 teams in the four major professional sports in a variety of categories based on feedback from fans.

Ryan, about to enter his second season with the Jets, was ranked as the fourth best coach, tied with Red Wings coach Mike Bab****, behind Mike Scioscia (Angels), Sean Payton (Saints) and Gregg Popovich (Spurs).

All but Ryan have won their respective league championships at least once. He was ranked ahead of the Patriots' Bill Belichick (sixth) and the Lakers' Phil Jackson (10th), among others.

115. Mets (Jerry Manuel)

The Jets received the second-highest ranking among New York-area teams (No. 50 overall), behind the Devils (No. 34).

The Jets also are considered the third-hottest team in sports, behind the Oklahoma City Thunder and Charlotte Bobcats, based on improved feelings toward the team from its fans surveyed.

It just dawned on me. We're a bunch of losers.

Could you ban him and his IP address just to flex your authority around? It may not teach him a lesson but I'll certainly laugh about it :-)

we like to give people like that a lil more slack to hang themselves. Im surprised nobody has bitch slapped him around a bit.

Could you ban him and his IP address just to flex your authority around? It may not teach him a lesson but I'll certainly laugh about it :-)

Why because I have a brain, and dont think a 7-7 team who got to free wins last season is going to do anything in 2010?

Why because I have a brain, and dont think a 7-7 team who got to free wins last season is going to do anything in 2010?

Don't you count the games that got us to the AFC championship game? Or were those gifts too?

Just curious-

While the Pats were out in the first round after a spanking delivered by the Ravens? Tom threw 3 picks in that game and 154 yards.

Mark was 12-15 for about 180 and a TD, and OLD Tom was 23-42, for 152 yards.

Stop trying to paint the Jets as a team on the way down when it is clearly the Pats.

i don't like this guy let's ban him!!!!! someone as hated as you should be careful about what precedents they are advocating. just sayin'.

This is a very sad joke. Nobody even liked Sean Payton two-three years ago. Now he's #2.

Rex Ryan, of course, is the greatest man to hit the planet since Jesus and fourth is probably an insult. He's so smart, leaderly, and Rexgressive. I love him. He changed my whole attitude and perspective on the Jets. I'd give birth of a baby through my d*ck if he would just call that baby his.

• 3 years later...

115. Mets (Jerry Manuel)

The article is THREE YEARS AGO du00che.

Archived