Kris Jenkins has a scare in camp

Kentucky Jet

Gear

Kris Jenkins gets a scare, but knee holds up

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2010 4:01 PM ET

Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins went down during a full-contact goal line drill during practice today and briefly feared the worst.

"On one of the plays, I fell the exact same way that I did when I tore my knee last year," Jenkins told Larry Hardesty of 1050 ESPN Radio.

Jenkins suffered a torn ACL in an October game against the Bills last year and had to miss the rest of the season. Fortunately, this time it turned out to be nothing serious.

"I rolled over and sat there for a second," Jenkins said. "Everything was together and it held through. I felt great, so I got up and I kept moving."

Although Jenkins considered retiring this offseason, he has lost weight and gotten into good shape, and says he feels ready to be the same destructive force in the middle of the Jets' line that he was at the start of last season.

And while Jenkins admits to questioning whether his knee can hold up over 16 games, he said that by getting back up after getting hurt, "I answered those questions for myself today."

Gear

Kris Jenkins gets a scare, but knee holds up

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 5, 2010 4:01 PM ET

Jets defensive tackle Kris Jenkins went down during a full-contact goal line drill during practice today and briefly feared the worst.

"On one of the plays, I fell the exact same way that I did when I tore my knee last year," Jenkins told Larry Hardesty of 1050 ESPN Radio.

Jenkins suffered a torn ACL in an October game against the Bills last year and had to miss the rest of the season. Fortunately, this time it turned out to be nothing serious.

"I rolled over and sat there for a second," Jenkins said. "Everything was together and it held through. I felt great, so I got up and I kept moving."

Although Jenkins considered retiring this offseason, he has lost weight and gotten into good shape, and says he feels ready to be the same destructive force in the middle of the Jets' line that he was at the start of last season.

And while Jenkins admits to questioning whether his knee can hold up over 16 games, he said that by getting back up after getting hurt, "I answered those questions for myself today."

That's a relief. At first I thought maybe they ran out of milk for his cookie diet and he was off binging at the local A&W.

Again I ask this question having not yet received an answer. How is this guy suddenly one who people act like will be lucky to make it to the first preseason game without a career-ending injury? Before last year, the guy went three consecutive seasons without missing a game. He had two rough years in terms of injuries earlier in his career, but that's it. He's played every game in 6 of his 9 seasons. Granted I get the idea that he's older and coming off a serious injury, but I don't understand where this concept is that he's made of glass comes from, and that there's no possible way he could make it through even half the season.

I mean people are seriously comparing him to John Abraham, a guy who not only got hurt on a yearly basis, but missed games with the sniffles? Give me a break.

Again I ask this question having not yet received an answer. How is this guy suddenly one who people act like will be lucky to make it to the first preseason game without a career-ending injury? Before last year, the guy went three consecutive seasons without missing a game. He had two rough years in terms of injuries earlier in his career, but that's it. He's played every game in 6 of his 9 seasons. Granted I get the idea that he's older and coming off a serious injury, but I don't understand where this concept is that he's made of glass comes from, and that there's no possible way he could make it through even half the season.

I mean people are seriously comparing him to John Abraham, a guy who not only got hurt on a yearly basis, but missed games with the sniffles? Give me a break.

He's a question mark to play every week-thats the comparision to Abe. This was the case in 2008 as well. His play dropped off dramatically as the season progressed also.

He's John Abraham part 2. Dominant when healthy, gets our hopes up that he is actually healthy...then gets hurt. Again.

I agree with the dominant part, but knee injuries are serious especially for a guy his size. Abraham was just worried about a pay day.

i think he'll make the whole year.....REX will rotate him alot...

(fingers crossed).

+1

The majority of his career he's a 16 game player. Twice he went down like this. I dont know when or why Jinx has received a rep of not being able to play a season all of a sudden. He will be heavily rotated though because Pouha showed that its not much of a fall off when he's on the field and it'll be great to have them both healthier come playoff time.

Two blown out knees on a 350-400 pound man is not good. He will find it hard to get through the season.

His first year with us, he may have played every game but he sure as hell wasn't healthy. There's a big concern with Jenkins I'm afraid.

+1

The majority of his career he's a 16 game player. Twice he went down like this. I dont know when or why Jinx has received a rep of not being able to play a season all of a sudden. He will be heavily rotated though because Pouha showed that its not much of a fall off when he's on the field and it'll be great to have them both healthier come playoff time.

Pouha's good enough to start anyways. Personally I was hoping we could see both of them starting, with one shifting to DE or else going towards a more 4-3 look (Something we regularly see under Ryan anyways).

Either way, Pouha's incredibly valuable to this team, even if it is only as a backup.

Pouha's good enough to start anyways. Personally I was hoping we could see both of them starting, with one shifting to DE or else going towards a more 4-3 look (Something we regularly see under Ryan anyways).

Either way, Pouha's incredibly valuable to this team, even if it is only as a backup.

He's certainly valuable. There's opportunity for them to both be on the field at the same time but it'll be rare, and I doubt that they'll rotate to DE especially with snaps having to go to both Gholston and Devito.

I dont know, we'll see come this year. As long as we get the "W".

He's certainly valuable. There's opportunity for them to both be on the field at the same time but it'll be rare, and I doubt that they'll rotate to DE especially with snaps having to go to both Gholston and Devito.

I dont know, we'll see come this year. As long as we get the "W".

Am I that drunk that I see the name Gholston???

Pouha is starting caliber now. Anything Jenkins gives us is just gravy. Honestly if Pouha is doing well and we're cruising to an extent, I would really like to see Pouha take over the majority of snaps and then if we're in the playoffs, you LET JENKINS LOOSE on hapless victims!!!!!!!!!

all the hate for jenkins... give the guy credit for hanging in there another year and risking injury to try to get a ring.

Nobodys hating Jenkins...its just frustrating that he's so fragile. Every practice there's something tweaked.

Nobodys hating Jenkins...its just frustrating that he's so fragile. Every practice there's something tweaked.

Thats a very week excuse and could easily be refuted. You simply said that because of yesterdays practice.

Jenkins has been here for two years and started in 24 straight games before he had a season ending injury in the middle of last season. He had a probowl season his first year here and was having a probowl-esque season last year before the injury.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

Thats a very week excuse and could easily be refuted. You simply said that because of yesterdays practice.

Jenkins has been here for two years and started in 24 straight games before he had a season ending injury in the middle of last season. He had a probowl season his first year here and was having a probowl-esque season last year before the injury.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?

I give him 5-6 games tops.

Glad to hear everything is ok though.

Me too.

Home opener.

Week Two.

Week Seventeen to get in shape.

Divisional Playoff game at home.

AFC Championship game at home.

Super Bowl.

Six games is all it will take!!!

Me too.

Home opener.

Week Two.

Week Seventeen to get in shape.

Divisional Playoff game at home.

AFC Championship game at home.

Super Bowl.

Six games is all it will take!!!

I'll take it, then he can retire!

I doubt the guy even gets a 3rd of the NT snaps this year...we're going to be very rotation heavy there...I also think we'll see him used as a DE in certain packages.

The goal with Jenkins is to make sure he's around if/when the playoffs come around....The key to our DL during the regular season is what the young guys like Gholston and DeVito do...

Archived