stoicsentry

38 members have voted

1. 1. Who should return kicks?

• Clowney
    • McKnight
    • Taylor
    • Woodhead
    • Other

Brad Smith should continue to returns kicks.

I was impressed with McKnight as a punt returner. It's not easy for a rookie to come in and even catch a punt. For all his well documented problems on the second episode of Hard Knocks, I thought the guy showed some skill back there. Fielded every ball cleanly, and ran aggressively. It's still probably Jim Leonhard's job to lose, though.

Brad Smith should continue to returns kicks.

I was impressed with McKnight as a punt returner. It's not easy for a rookie to come in and even catch a punt. For all his well documented problems on the second episode of Hard Knocks, I thought the guy showed some skill back there. Fielded every ball cleanly, and ran aggressively. It's still probably Jim Leonhard's job to lose, though.

I agree with you on Smith returning kicks. The more we can get him the ball in space, the better.

One of the young guys (maybe McKnight) needs to step up as a punt returner. I don't like the idea of Cotchery or Leonhard getting injured on a punt return. Especially since they are both crucial starters and marginal returners.

Smith has been decent but does not have elite speed.

McKnight could be the guy.

Wasnt Kyle Wilson drafted because he could also be a return guy?

Has he returned any KO's or punts yet?

That's curious. Yes, he is supposed to be a returner. No, he has not returned a kick or punt as far as I remember.

Funny thing about kicks vs. punts, there seems to be a more substantial difference than I would've thought. Leon Washington was an elite kick returner, but unimpressive on punt returns. Jim Leonhard, who should never return a kick*, was actually more effective than Washington when it came to punts.

*unless there's great concern about the actual catching of the ball.

KR: Brad Smith

PR: McKnight

If McKnight is going to be all-but guaranteed a roster spot, might as well make use of him. Better than risking injury to Cromartie, Wilson, or Leonhard, and he seems like he'd be more sure-handed than the other options.

I'd cut Larry Taylor and hopefully Woodhead finds his way to the practice squad.

Smith has been decent but does not have elite speed.

McKnight could be the guy.

Wasnt Kyle Wilson drafted because he could also be a return guy?

Has he returned any KO's or punts yet?

I'd have to think it's because Wilson is too valuable as a starting corner. Revis returned at Pitt but we don't use him on specials because of his value to the defense. Though Leonhard did return for us last season so I could be wrong on the reason.

KR: Brad Smith

PR: McKnight

If McKnight is going to be all-but guaranteed a roster spot, might as well make use of him. Better than risking injury to Cromartie, Wilson, or Leonhard, and he seems like he'd be more sure-handed than the other options.

I'd cut Larry Taylor and hopefully Woodhead finds his way to the practice squad.

I like that setup. Larry Taylor is fast but in both preseason games he looked like he lacks something. I don't know if he lacks vision or instincts or if it's just experience but he's not as dangerous as he should be.

My opinion, I think Brad Smith is going to be the Kick Returner while Joe McKnight is going to be the Punt returner. Joe McKnight is not going to get playing time at the RB position, so it's better to put him at a spot where he can play and actually succeedd. However, don't be surprised if you guys see Cotchery at Punt Returner in close games. I rather see McKnight back there than Cromartie or Wilson. We all know we can't risk losing another CB.

My opinion, I think Brad Smith is going to be the Kick Returner while Joe McKnight is going to be the Punt returner. Joe McKnight is not going to get playing time at the RB position, so it's better to put him at a spot where he can play and actually succeedd. However, don't be surprised if you guys see Cotchery at Punt Returner in close games. I rather see McKnight back there than Cromartie or Wilson. We all know we can't risk losing another CB.

Cotchery wasn't a great returner though when we tried him out there iirc.

McKnight, only because we have have to get this guy on the field. Greene and Tomlinson are the obvious 1-2 punch and Washington may just get a roster spot which im hoping. There's no room this year for McKnight IMO as a RB, but at the same time you dont cut a 4th rounder especially if he's shown that he can return kicks.

Some may say Smith, which in regards to kickoffs he should. Punt returns however should be McKnight. Smith will certainly get his touches between kickoffs, QB and WR.

as long as it's a back up, and he holds onto the ball, I'm happy

don't let wilson or leonhard anywhere near these units please

I really don't like smith out there either, he's so valuable but someone has to do it

SO I guess I vote for

KOR - smith

PR - mcchunks

Cotchery, Wilson, Tomlinson, and Greene are Waaay to valuable to have returning anything.

KR- Smith

PR- McKnight

Even Smith kick returning scares me. He is an extremely versatile player and gives defenses a challenge when he is on the field. He can Run, catch, and throw. Defenses hate guys like this.

But, if its a close game and a lot is on the line, then and only then would I be okay with seeing cotchery back there returning. Great hands and great vision of the field, but again.... Dangerous. I trust Westhoff's decisions though.

Cotchery, Wilson, Tomlinson, and Greene are Waaay to valuable to have returning anything.

KR- Smith

PR- McKnight

Even Smith kick returning scares me. He is an extremely versatile player and gives defenses a challenge when he is on the field. He can Run, catch, and throw. Defenses hate guys like this.

But, if its a close game and a lot is on the line, then and only then would I be okay with seeing cotchery back there returning. Great hands and great vision of the field, but again.... Dangerous. I trust Westhoff's decisions though.

What exactly is Smith so valuable at that he shouldn't be returning kicks? He's been doing it forever. Even when he didn't return he was usually the 2nd deep man. His biggest value probably comes from the coverage team. Sure he's versatile, but how versatile is he if we aren't going to let him do anything so he doesn't get hurt? The team is questionable on O, we need all the return yards we can get. He's not made out of glass. I wouldn't mind seeing Wilson or Cromartis, but I'd be worried about losing either one if Revis isn't back. Cromartie might be made out of glass and Wilson will have enough on his plate learning the defense. I'll agree with your choices simply because IMO they are probably the best two for the job.

Archived